The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r2 may be good with Leica wides :)

iiiNelson

There appears to be cyan shading in the corners and on the sides of the image. That shot looks similar to what I get out of a 24 Elmar prior to me applying a lens profile on a A7 or A7R. I don't know that anyone can easily check or smearing without zooming into the corners but I'd venture to say that the best best is going to be sticking with native or SLR lenses (depending on which M lenses you own.) Don't get your hopes up.

Jim DE

Yea I would not be happy with what we can see in that review..... I expect my 21mmCG and 28mmCG with stay in my ContaxG2 kit rather than moving to the new a7rII kit.

V

Vivek

There appears to be cyan shading in the corners and on the sides of the image. That shot looks similar to what I get out of a 24 Elmar prior to me applying a lens profile on a A7 or A7R. I don't know that anyone can easily check or smearing without zooming into the corners but I'd venture to say that the best best is going to be sticking with native or SLR lenses (depending on which M lenses you own.) Don't get your hopes up.
+1

Everytime a new Sony cam comes out almost all the "initial" impresions based on what is seen on the LCD is euphoria followed by utter disappointment.

To use leica M wides to their full ability, it is best to use the MM. The next best is a color M. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
+1

Everytime a new Sony cam comes out almost all the "initial" impresions based on what is seen on the LCD is euphoria followed by utter disappointment.

To use leica M wides to their full ability, it is best to use the MM. The next best is a color M. :)
What sense does it really make to use a Leica M wide just for monochrome shooting. B&W undeniably is an important part of photography, but same is color. At least so for the last 60 years. So if one cannot us Leica lenses with same IQ for monochrome as color, than something is really wrong - or what did I miss :grin:

iiiNelson

What sense does it really make to use a Leica M wide just for monochrome shooting. B&W undeniably is an important part of photography, but same is color. At least so for the last 60 years. So if one cannot us Leica lenses with same IQ for monochrome as color, than something is really wrong - or what did I miss :grin:
I don't think he's suggesting that the wides should only be used on a monochrom but rather that M wides work most consistently well on a M camera in general. The WATE is good on everything but there is a great zoom and a couple of excellent native primes now. Adapting makes less sense than it did 2 years ago. I just wouldn't invest heavily into FE bodies if the goal is solely contingent on performance with M-mount primes IMO.

iiiNelson

+1

Yeah I think most people have unrealistic expectation or stick with Internet hearsay. End of the day M- mount performance is contingent on the lens and body. It just varies from what I can tell. It's not just about focal length though.

Godfrey

I don't think he's suggesting that the wides should only be used on a monochrom but rather that M wides work most consistently well on a M camera in general. The WATE is good on everything but there is a great zoom and a couple of excellent native primes now. Adapting makes less sense than it did 2 years ago. I just wouldn't invest heavily into FE bodies if the goal is solely contingent on performance with M-mount primes IMO.
Yeah I think most people have unrealistic expectation or stick with Internet hearsay. End of the day M- mount performance is contingent on the lens and body. It just varies from what I can tell. It's not just about focal length though.
Right. It's about specific lens designs working well with a particular sensor configuration. An M Monochrom (version 1 or 2) will work with a broader range of lenses than an M9 or typ 240 model, that's all. The Elmar-M 24 performs beautifully, color or B&W, on the M-P. My Color Skopar 28mm color-shifts too much on the M-P, but will work very nicely on the MM246 when it arrives.

I don't really care how well the new Sony sensor works with whatever lens anyway. I dislike the haptics of the Sony A7 and feel I get better results out of my current "lower tech" typ 240 M camera anyway, regardless what lens I put on it, and I don't really need anything "even better" than that. That's why I sold my A7 and all the rest of my Sony stuff.

G

iiiNelson

Right. It's about specific lens designs working well with a particular sensor configuration. An M Monochrom (version 1 or 2) will work with a broader range of lenses than an M9 or typ 240 model, that's all. The Elmar-M 24 performs beautifully, color or B&W, on the M-P. My Color Skopar 28mm color-shifts too much on the M-P, but will work very nicely on the MM246 when it arrives.

I don't really care how well the new Sony sensor works with whatever lens anyway. I dislike the haptics of the Sony A7 and feel I get better results out of my current "lower tech" typ 240 M camera anyway, regardless what lens I put on it, and I don't really need anything "even better" than that. That's why I sold my A7 and all the rest of my Sony stuff.

G
Fair enough. My 24 Elmar worked exceptionally great on my M9-P. I don't miss it though now that I have my 25 Batis (and that's without a lens profile.) To each their own. There's no right or wrong choice - just a matter of what you can live with.