Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Sony A7R with Mamiya 645 lens comparisons

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sony A7R with Mamiya 645 lens comparisons

    I just bought a fotodioX E-mount to Mamiya 645 adapter and figured it would be interesting to show some quick comparisons.

    So here are the lenses I used:
    M645 50mm Shift
    FE 55mm 1.8
    Phase One 150mm 2.8
    Zeiss Contax 100-300mm

    Primarily the comparison is between the 50 and 55 lenses because the 150 can only be used stopped down at 2.8, so it wasn't really fair. The rest of the lenses were all shot at f8.

    All the files were converted from raw to jpeg in C1 with 0 modifications.

    My purpose is to see what kind of performance I can expect from the Mamiya lenses for the A7R2. So hopefully I can get excellent IQ and can use them for double duty.

    The focus point was on the head of the angel on the right.

    So here you go!

    M645 50mm Shift
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 645 Shift.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	486.4 KB 
ID:	93774

    FE 55mm 1.8
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55 FE.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	485.3 KB 
ID:	93775

    Phase 150mm 2.8
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150 2.8 645.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	93776

    Zeiss Contax 100-300mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CY 100-300.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	93777

    M645 50mm Shift 100%
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 645 Shift 100%.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	682.9 KB 
ID:	93778

    FE 55mm 1.8 100%
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55 FE 100%.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	691.6 KB 
ID:	93779

    Phase 150mm 2.8 100%
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150 2.8 645 100%.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	93780

    Zeiss Contax 100-300mm 100%
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CY 100-300 100%.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	467.2 KB 
ID:	93781
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony A7R with Mamiya 645 lens comparisons

    I am wondering what you thought on your tests. Is the 55 a lot sharper than the Mamiya 50? I bought the same Fotodiox unit and tested with a Hassy lens. My thoughts were that something was gained in the stitching process but that my Zeiss (Canon mount) lenses on the Sony were superior to the Hassy lens. I also tried another adapter using the Sony A7r on a view camera with LF lenses. I reached the same conclusion there. I was looking for a panacea and did not find it, at least to my eyes.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony A7R with Mamiya 645 lens comparisons

    We've all been through an exercise like this.

    The A7R has been a revolution in camera technology with its ability to host just about any lens on the market, all it needs is the right adapter. Some are a success, others leave a lot to be desired. However, it is a lot of fun to try different things since we are always looking to do better.

    On a workshop last year I had the opportunity to run my Canon/Sony/Leica lenses against Canon-mount Zeiss primes that a friend was kind enough to let me try. It was an interesting exercise and I found that the Zeiss were really superb, even holding their own against my Leica glass (except for the Summilux 50 which was the sharpest). However, my Zeiss M-mount lenses are terrible on the A7R.

    I wonder how the modern Batis lenses would compare.

    On my own little 645Z vs 5DSR test, I found even the legacy Pentax glass to do better than the best Canon has to offer. So there is no doubt that MF lenses are generally better. The problem is getting adapters right and being able to use AF.

    There is no single best solution and I suppose we will continue to experiment. That is the fun part......

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony A7R with Mamiya 645 lens comparisons

    I found both the Mamiya 50 shift and the 55 FE to be practically identical in IQ. I didn't expect anything more from the Mamiya lens considering the 55 FE is about as good as it gets. So I was very happy that it was just as good, and on top of that I can shift :-).

    I am a bit disappointed in the IQ from the 150 2.8. Even stopped down and adapted I would've expected it to be perfect, but maybe it's just the DOF playing tricks on my eyes. Regardless I don't think I'll ever use that lens adapted so it doesn't really matter to me.

    I'm probably going to swap my Mamiya 120mm macro from the Auto Aperture to the M645 version so I can fully use it on the A7R2.

    The Zeiss Contax is also using a fotodioX adapter and it's incredible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Fallon View Post
    I am wondering what you thought on your tests. Is the 55 a lot sharper than the Mamiya 50? I bought the same Fotodiox unit and tested with a Hassy lens. My thoughts were that something was gained in the stitching process but that my Zeiss (Canon mount) lenses on the Sony were superior to the Hassy lens. I also tried another adapter using the Sony A7r on a view camera with LF lenses. I reached the same conclusion there. I was looking for a panacea and did not find it, at least to my eyes.

  5. #5
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Sony A7R with Mamiya 645 lens comparisons

    Quote Originally Posted by rhern213 View Post
    I am a bit disappointed in the IQ from the 150 2.8. Even stopped down and adapted I would've expected it to be perfect, but maybe it's just the DOF playing tricks on my eyes. Regardless I don't think I'll ever use that lens adapted so it doesn't really matter to me.

    The Zeiss Contax is also using a fotodioX adapter and it's incredible.
    Just look at the background roof tiles to see how much narrower the DoF is on the 150. But I also found the Pentax 150/2.8 too hard to use as a MF lens. It has a very short throw - is that the case with your lens?

    The Pentax 120 macro is perfect on a FF sensor. I bet the Mamiya works really well.

    Zeiss Contax lives on my A7II. Stunning glass.

    --Matt

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony A7R with Mamiya 645 lens comparisons

    Wide open yes it is, it's pretty difficult in MF. The barrel is very light to touch and move, and any movement makes a pretty significant change in DOF.

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Just look at the background roof tiles to see how much narrower the DoF is on the 150. But I also found the Pentax 150/2.8 too hard to use as a MF lens. It has a very short throw - is that the case with your lens?

    The Pentax 120 macro is perfect on a FF sensor. I bet the Mamiya works really well.

    Zeiss Contax lives on my A7II. Stunning glass.

    --Matt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •