The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

About posting original pictures on GetDpi forums

Annna T

Everyone is excited by the isssue of the new A7r2 and lucky forumers who already could put a hand on it are nicely sharing pictures with the other members; same for the Batis lenses. So far so good and many thanks for that. I appreciate and the others forumers too.

However posting original pictures directly inside of a message is pointless, because the pictures are downsized on each of our computers in order to accomodate the max width that our browsers can show (see below, how a pictures of 6000x4000 pix was downsized to 1452x968). What does it mean ? pictures weighting 20 megs are all downloaded on the forumers computers before the downsizing. A thread with about 6-8-10 such pictures, will slow down your browser incredibly and those threads takes eons before you can see the downloaded and downsized pictures. On my iPad AIR it gets even worse : those pictures are replaced with an empty little square or you see just the top of them. Now guess how that makes me happy when someone a little lazy posts a thanking message where all the same huge pictures are included a second time.

Here I want to thanks Quentin Bargate, who did it the right way : he posted smaller pictures with links to the orginal full sized images : this allows interested forumers to download the pictures that interest them most : whether for the largest aperture or the shot at infinite, whether for the bokey, or for sharpness in the corners.

Again : yes, you can post original sized pictures in the GetDpi forums, but it doesn't mean that this is the right thing to do : the pictures will be downsized anyway. If you want to share an original picture, just load it elsewhere on the web and post the link under a smaller picture. Here is the proof of how useless it is to post full sized pictures (redimensionné means downsized) :

GetDpi_handling_of_pictures.JPGGetDpi_handling_of_pictures.JPG

rrr_hhh