The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LA-E3 vs LA-EA4 for A7RII

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There are many cameras doing the same, including my Canon 5d and 6d and the Olympus OMD. It is more or less standard to have AF tracking with continuous shooting set to low and focus on the first shot when CAF is activated with the high speed continuous shooting. Only high level pro camera tailored for action/sport will allow you focus tracking at high speed.

Now the whole question is how much fps you get in either low speed or high speed. 2.5 fps is pretty low and 4fps is often available as low speed. The OMD-E-M5II for instance has a high speed of about 10fps and low at 4fps or lower (customizable). But then the sensor is only offering 16MB. For a long time high end Canon and Nikon bodies came in two versions : one for resolution which was slower and one for action, much speedier, but with less resolution.

IMO it is irrealist to expect that a high resolution body like the A7RII will behave like an action camera, especially with adapted and older lenses.
Man I love it when someone gets it. Well said

It's a high resolution camera like a MF back that's it ultimate design is to produce at the highest level IQ not be the speed boat. It can't do both

ohnri

Man I love it when someone gets it. Well said

It's a high resolution camera like a MF back that's it ultimate design is to produce at the highest level IQ not be the speed boat. It can't do both
There is no fundamental reason I can think of that a higher fps crop mode cannot be available. Or at least an option to keep AF enabled at the full 5 fps when in crop mode.

Of course, there is at least one very high speed action mode on the A7r2, my excellent Samsung NX1 has it, and I use it all the time.

Shoot 4K video and take frame grabs. Thirty frames per second. There can be some jello effect but careful shot planning will minimize it.

Focus tracking in video mode on the Samsung is pretty good. Hopefully, the new Sony has far better video focus tracking than the current models.

Even if the Sony is primarily designed to be a high IQ machine, having a fast, responsive camera will do wonders to expand the base of users that find the A7r2 to be viable as a main body or single body solution.

-Bill

Guy Mancuso

I understand that but we are also dealing with processing horsepower , heat and such that can really only take it so far. Crop mode would be nice and really that may be a firmware option. But for sports shooters not sure mirrorless is the real answer

V

Vivek

Would be nice to have options. The next iteration of the A7s ("speed") hopefully will be an action cam with higher pixie count than 12mp and great high ISO performance.

Guy Mancuso

Would be nice to have options. The next iteration of the A7s ("speed") hopefully will be an action cam with higher pixie count than 12mp and great high ISO performance.
That's the camera that should have the speed and higher ISO count. That should be more intended for the sports kind of shooter. The A7RII the file is just to big to push around. Crop mood though I would like to see that option of faster FPS.

ohnri

That's the camera that should have the speed and higher ISO count. That should be more intended for the sports kind of shooter. The A7RII the file is just to big to push around. Crop mood though I would like to see that option of faster FPS.
Even enabling CAF at 5fps in the APS crop mode would provide a nice option for occasional use.

Does the A7r2 allow CAF for any auto shooting speed or is CAF single shot only?

-Bill

Guy Mancuso

I just tried something not sure where the issue is. Put camera in crop mode, put AFC on in wide focus area with my Batis 85 which now is a 135 or whatever. Set the FPS at 10 and I just rattled off a bunch of shots and it was tracking just fine

Okay this is with Native lenses

ohnri

I just tried something not sure where the issue is. Put camera in crop mode, put AFC on in wide focus area with my Batis 85 which now is a 135 or whatever. Set the FPS at 10 and I just rattled off a bunch of shots and it was tracking just fine

Okay this is with Native lenses
This is certainly welcome news.

Do you mean FPS 5?

Thanks,

Bill

ohnri

Yes The Camera has a setting for High and Low I left it on high
WooHoo !

That should also work well with the 70-200 f/4 FE !

I'll be able to test it with the 3 adapter and the Sony 70-400 G2 Friday night or Saturday and I'll post my findings.

Appreciatively,

Bill

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes I am actually thinking of getting the 70-200 F4 myself

Im trying to go all native
Going native is for sure the best strategy IMHO!

This is also what I want to do when I start with the A7rII - which is almost a done decision for me :)

I still hope for a native 80-400 FE lens, but till that happens I would be hopefully able to use the 80-400G II with the LA-E3

ohnri

Yes I am actually thinking of getting the 70-200 F4 myself

Im trying to go all native
I'm certain you have seen the evaluations of the 70-200 f4. It is a fine lens.

I would also prefer a fully native solution for telephoto but I see little on the short term horizon.

For my limited use, the 70-400 G2 with the 3 Adapter might just be enough.

I have thought of picking up the promised Samsung 300 f2.8 for my NX1 but producing new lenses appears to have fallen out of favor at Samsung. Besides, it likely will prove to be too heavy to be worth my effort no matter the availability.

-Bill

ohnri

Going native is for sure the best strategy IMHO!

This is also what I want to do when I start with the A7rII - which is almost a done decision for me :)

I still hope for a native 80-400 FE lens, but till that happens I would be hopefully able to use the 80-400G II with the LA-E3
That is the exact combination I will be trying out this weekend.

A7r2 with LA-E3 and 70-400 G II.

I have the lens and adapter pre-mounted ...

-Bill

SamSS

I should have edited down from the quote.
Originally, I would think all 399 focus points would be utilized with Sony's #3 adaptor. Which is not the case, reportedly.
I'm concern and plenty of users certainly would like to know about how much or how limited of the focus point areas.

ohnri

First tests with the A7r2, the LA-EA3 and the 70-400 G2.

Just shooting out of a window then turning the camera indoors with this combination reveals ...

On High Frame Rate and AF-C - It will AF on the first shot then stay locked there. So there is not any continuous AF when using the High Frame Rate with this lens and adapter.

On Low Frame Rate (about 2 fps) and AF-C - It will try to AF for every shot.
So continuous AF will try to work when using the Low Frame Rate with this lens and adapter.

By contrast, when using the A7r2 with the Sony/Zeiss 35/1.4 FE and, therefore, no adapter, it will try to AF for every frame even when using the High Frame Rate and AF-C.

These findings apply to both FF and crop modes. No difference between them.

-Bill

BackToSlr

Has anyone tried to remove the pellicle mirror on LA-EA4 and seen if faster AF happens with screw driven lenses?
Perhaps a firmware fix or LAEA5 with the motor drive and no mirror...

I want to keep the Minolta 200 HS and the tiny 135mm f2.8 the most, hope I can find an adapter to AF them...

N