Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New lens lineup for the A7rII

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New lens lineup for the A7rII

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    It's interesting that hardly anyone chooses to include the Zeiss 35mm F/2.8 in their list, yet its almost the perfect lens for the A7 series in many ways.

Its small, feels great on camera, sharp, reasonably fast-ish, gets the benefit of in-body stabilisation with the A7RII. Great general purpose focal length.

Is it the forgotten jilted partner more afficianados should consider ahead of more exotic, newer glass, I wonder? I own one and its on my list.
    I think many of us have owned it, never forgot it, decided we didn't like it, and moved on for many reasons to include sample variation where a touted mythical "good copy" seems to be the exception instead of the rule, lack of speed for a prime, expectations, optical quality, etc. If size were a priority I'd personally recommend that someone choose either the 28/2 or the 35/2 Loxia (based on how important AF is to you) otherwise it's the 35/1.4 Distagon FE that ranks as the premier lens in that focal length IMO.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that hardly anyone chooses to include the Zeiss 35mm F/2.8 in their list, yet its almost the perfect lens for the A7 series in many ways.

Its small, feels great on camera, sharp, reasonably fast-ish, gets the benefit of in-body stabilisation with the A7RII. Great general purpose focal length.

Is it the forgotten jilted partner more afficianados should consider ahead of more exotic, newer glass, I wonder? I own one and its on my list.
    Couldn't agree more Quentin. It is always in my bag and I have no complaints about image quality. I don't shoot in environments that require 1.x apertures so I can do without the bulk. This lens, the 28/2 cousin, and the little CV 15 III are currently my main primes.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muse View Post
    scho,

Who did the CG conversion to M for you? It must have added a focusing helicoid (I don't believe there are floating elements), is it good and smooth? Or does it simply couple to the screw drive like the adapters do? Regardless of how the 28 performs on the r2 (though I hope it does well because I have one too), I would love to have a nice smooth focusing mechanism and less weight from the adapters for my 45 and 90 CG. I am particularly in love with the 90 rendering.

Thanks,
    Mark
    I think that this eBay seller is the same one that converted my cg lenses about 3 years ago. The lenses do have a helicoid focusing unit, smooth, and no screw drive. I had to have one (the 45) re-calibrated, but otherwise no problems. The names (Chinese) of the owner(s) and company seem to change over time, but still based in the Rowland heights area of California. I could not find his listing in eBay for conversion service so he may not be doing it any longer.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: New lens lineup for the A7rII

Quentin,

I keep the 35 2.8 in my bag all the time. It's small, it's good and it's small

I also have the 55 1.8 and a few Minolta lenses including the 135 2.8 and 200 2.8. I also have the manual Rokinson 14 2.8 and a Sony 85 2.8 (which is a very nice studio lens)
    I am still struggling with a 24-70 option as well as considering the 16-35.

Of all of these the 55 is on my camera much of the time.

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Also drooling over the Batis option, the 85 and 25. However I can only buy so much at a time.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I got a good one, don't know, but I think it is under-rated. I like mine. It is not as sharp as the 55/1.8 or the 90G, but It is plenty sharp enough for landscape work for those occasions when I actually use it for that. I find myself using it most for interiors... events with lots of people. It is light, quick to focus, unobtrusive.... It does a good job.

Based on the performance of the 35 Sonnar I might buy the 28 to replace my 30mm Pentax K and my Zeiss 28 Biogon G (see post about the Biogon on the r2).

Post Thanks / Like

The Zeiss 28 Biogon G on the r2 is vastly improved over the r1 and A72. I see no color shading at all. Smearing is reduced but not eliminated. Not workable for landscapes in my opinion, but perhaps good for street?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A few times I've thought about selling mine, and now I am very glad I didn't. It is a sweet little lens, and I'll match it's performance/cc³ with any other lens. It's the perfect walk-around prime lens when you gotta go small.

Post Thanks / Like

For the time being my light kit which all fits easily in my Billingham Hadley Small is

A7rII with FE55 (can be used in crop mode as near 85mm lens)
    CV 12/5.6 v.1 with CV come-focus adaptor. Used in crop mode this gives me an 18mm equivalent and nearly 18mp file (works well with good edge sharpness and no vignetting).
    Leica Q
    iPad air 2 + spare batteries, wallet etc

This way I can cover from 18-85mm. 28 and 55 are my most used focal lengths and doing documentary work I have always worked using 2 bodies and these focal lengths.

The FE16-35 will be used for landscape/architectural work and the FE24-70 will get some use on my A7s.
    I bought the FE28/2 before the Q was announced but will hang onto it as for it's low cost it is pretty good
    I may well sell my WATE and CV12/5.6 and get the CV15/4.5 as it seems to get good reports on the A7 series and is very compact
    I will probably keep my Elmarit-M 90 and apo-telyt 135 as they both work vey well though the FE 90/28 macro is texting but with the CV close-focus adapter and the IBIS system in the rII I can get close enough for my needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I'm starting to think about maybe getting a Canon 85L and adapter instead of the 85mm Batis.
    Hmmm ........ I'm probably going the other way. After testing all my Canon lenses last week with my A7R2 and a Metabones 4 I first eBayed the ones that definitely didn't work (135L & 200L). I then realised that I had the ranges of my Canon 35L and 50L well covered by my Zeiss 35 F2.8 and 55 F1.8. So the Canon glass has now gone. And I didn't think I'd get much use for the 24-105 F4L so that now has a new owner.

This leaves me with the 70-300 DO which performs quite respectably with the Metabones adapter. And my 85 F1.2L II. Frankly, this lens was the primary reason that I had held on to my Canon gear and 5D2 (now sold) for so long.

I've ordered both of the Zeiss Batis lenses (though I've no idea when we'll see them in the UK) and it will be interesting to see which of the two 85mm lenses I eventually keep. I'm presently thinking that the integration of the native lenses with the A7R2's features will be enough to win me over. The IBIS on the A7R2 is brilliant - and more than compensates for the loss of aperture.
    Last edited by gDallasK; 14th August 2015 at 15:56.
    Geoff
    Too many cameras, too little time.
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My current lens kit for the A7RII consists of the CV 15 III, FE 28/2, FE 35/2.8, and FE 55/1.8. Lots of other MF legacy lenses that will get swapped in/out of the base kit when needed.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Hopefully I'll get my Sony A7rII next week. Right now I have only two lenses to use it with:

• Canon 24/3.5 TSE
    • The 90/2.8 G Sony macro

So my plan is to use it with the existing A-lenses I have, like 24-70/2.8ZA, 70-400/4-5.6G, Sigma 12-24 etc.

In the longer term I may consider the two Loxias, and I am considering to add a Hartblei HCam TS adapter so I can use my Hasselblad lenses for tilt and shift, that would give me 40/60/100/120 mm (I also have a 180/4 but I think it is to long for TS).

I would also like a decent standard zoom, but the 24-70/4 has not gotten very good reviews. The 28-70 kit lens seems worth the price however, so I may buy one.

I am a bit vary of image stabilisation and like manual focus, and I am a f/8 shooter. With 90 mm it is a bit different, I want to use that lens with full aperture. Originally I ordered the Batis 85/1.8 but the 90/2.8 is dual purpose, seems to be excellent and available today…

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Currently:
    CV 21
    Leica 24 Elmarit
    FE 35 f/2.8
    Leica 50 APO
    Leica 90 f/2 ASPH

Soon I will get the Batis 25 and sell the CV21 and 24 Elmarit

Not sure what to do about 35mm. Mine seems pretty good and I can't get over how light it is. I just have no use for autofocus and usually fight it. Maybe the Loxia 35.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gDallasK View Post
    Hmmm ........ I'm probably going the other way. After testing all my Canon lenses last week with my A7R2 and a Metabones 4 I first eBayed the ones that definitely didn't work (135L & 200L). I then realised that I had the ranges of my Canon 35L and 50L well covered by my Zeiss 35 F2.8 and 55 F1.8. So the Canon glass has now gone. And I didn't think I'd get much use for the 24-105 F4L so that now has a new owner.

This leaves me with the 70-300 DO which performs quite respectably with the Metabones adapter. And my 85 F1.2L II. Frankly, this lens was the primary reason that I had held on to my Canon gear and 5D2 (now sold) for so long.

I've ordered both of the Zeiss Batis lenses (though I've no idea when we'll see them in the UK) and it will be interesting to see which of the two 85mm lenses I eventually keep. I'm presently thinking that the integration of the native lenses with the A7R2's features will be enough to win me over. The IBIS on the A7R2 is brilliant - and more than compensates for the loss of aperture.
    What didn't work with regard to the Canon 135 f2 L? Was the the AF or optical issues? I have had good results with that lens on my A7R and had planned to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like

The only native mount lens I have for my A7r and A7r ll is the stellar 55mm Sony/Zeiss. I was just about to pull the trigger on the 16-35 zoom until the Batis 25 was announced. I know the 16-35 would be more flexible (especially in the 16-28 range). How much better is the Zeiss Batis 25mm than the 16-35 at 24mm? I shoot an equal amount of landscapes and architecture.

I have the Metabones IV adapter and the following lenses.

Canon 17mm TSE
    Canon 24mm TSE ll
    Sigma 35mm
    Canon 70-200 f4 zoom
    Canon 100mm Macro.

Where is the weakness in my lineup? I think what I am trying to do is build a lightweight alternative to all of the Canon/Sigma glass.
    Thanks all!
    J. Paul

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your weakness is a lightweight 24/25 for walk around kind of shooting. Take your 35 a 25 let's say and if you had a 85 a great kit for just travel, walk around kind of shooting. The 17, 24 TSE are great lenses but for more serious shooting, not fun to carry around. But depends on what you do too

You could also do a VC15, 25 Batis, 35 Loxia and Batis 85. Just a really nice kit there.keep the TSE glass the 70-200 and maybe sell the rest
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, thanks for you input! Being a stickler for high quality files, I should probably get the Batis 25mm for sure. I am wondering how much difference there is in the Sony 70-200 f4 and my Canon 70-200 f4. Any experience there?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I like your collection the most and believe it makes the most sense-- probably because most similar to mine

WATE-16-18-21-- This is just outstanding especially with the Voigt close adapter (amazing what you can do)
    Leica 28mm 2.8 Elmarit R
    Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4
    Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8
    Voigtlander 75mm 2.4 and I have the 1.8 version as well but prefer the former (so small)
    Leica 90mm Elmarit M
    ApoTelyt 135
    I also have the Sony 24-70 for walk around shooting.

I am considering the Batis 25mm and even selling the Leica 28mm and getting the Sony 28mm f2. The Leica 28mm R is just such a beautiful lens but again if traveling rarely makes it into the bag. Images are just so gorgeous. At some point would like to compare with the Sony 28mm. One of my major interests in the Batis 25mm is the ability for close up focus-- but with the WATE and close up adapter--- perhaps redundant.. Of course f2 and AF is so nice.. geez.. keep going back and forth on how to deal with this 25-28mm range.

I also am not using the Leica 90mm that often For travel I have the 75mm and 135 so figure that range is fairly well covered without the 90mm. If a good 200mm option becomes available perhaps 90mm would become more important and replace the need for the 135mm?

I tried a 70-200mm and thought the 200mm side of things was really quite good but the lens is much too big and heavy-- otherwise would go back to my Nikon system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    WATE 16-18-21
    Batis 25
    Sony 28/2
    Sony/Zeiss 35/2.8
    Sony/Zeiss 55/1.8
    Batis 85
    ApoTelyt 135

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    Guy, thanks for you input! Being a stickler for high quality files, I should probably get the Batis 25mm for sure. I am wondering how much difference there is in the Sony 70-200 f4 and my Canon 70-200 f4. Any experience there?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul
    I think don't quote me but the Canon is supposed to be very good. The Sony is great and you will get all the AF points which I'm after as well. Now at 200 the corners maybe a little weak.myself I'm trying to go all native and retain complete AF functions for when I need it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I like your collection the most and believe it makes the most sense-- probably because most similar to mine

WATE-16-18-21-- This is just outstanding especially with the Voigt close adapter (amazing what you can do)
    Leica 28mm 2.8 Elmarit R
    Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4
    Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8
    Voigtlander 75mm 2.4 and I have the 1.8 version as well but prefer the former (so small)
    Leica 90mm Elmarit M
    ApoTelyt 135
    I also have the Sony 24-70 for walk around shooting.

I am considering the Batis 25mm and even selling the Leica 28mm and getting the Sony 28mm f2. The Leica 28mm R is just such a beautiful lens but again if traveling rarely makes it into the bag. Images are just so gorgeous. At some point would like to compare with the Sony 28mm. One of my major interests in the Batis 25mm is the ability for close up focus-- but with the WATE and close up adapter--- perhaps redundant.. Of course f2 and AF is so nice.. geez.. keep going back and forth on how to deal with this 25-28mm range.

I also am not using the Leica 90mm that often For travel I have the 75mm and 135 so figure that range is fairly well covered without the 90mm. If a good 200mm option becomes available perhaps 90mm would become more important and replace the need for the 135mm?

I tried a 70-200mm and thought the 200mm side of things was really quite good but the lens is much too big and heavy-- otherwise would go back to my Nikon system.
    Mark the Batis 25 you can get really close. It's a stellar lens. I'm falling for it big time

Post Thanks / Like

Everything i hear and read is so positive. The close focusing along with the other positives are also pulling towards pulling the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Mark the Batis 25 you can get really close. It's a stellar lens. I'm falling for it big time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like I'm late to the party but here we go:

Batis 25/2
    FE 28/2
    FE 35/2.8
    FE 35/1.4
    Zeiss 45mm Contax G
    Jupiter 8 50/2
    FE 55/1.8
    Batis 85/1.8
    Zeiss 90mm Contax G
    ZA 135/1.8
    FE 70-200/4

Lot of sonnars (and clone) in that list!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: New lens lineup for the A7rII

After having sold off my Nikon gear which was d800 plus
    14-24
    24-70
    70-200
    85 1.4
    300 4
    400 2.8
    600 4

I now have the a6k, a7r, a7rii plus
    16-35
    24-70 (BTW, I like this lens a lot. Its better all-around than my Nikon 24-70 2.8 ever was)
    25 batis
    35 1.4
    55 1.8
    70-200 4
    85 batis

Speaking plainly, I could not be more satisfied with my move to Sony, Zeiss.

I also picked up an Nikon1 v2 with 70-300 for reach on feathers.

Cheers, Monty
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't laid out serious money for lenses so far-- working on living with what I have. Just finished testing all my lenses. So this is what I have found works well on A7rII:

1. Sony 10-18mm zoom lens. This covers the range of 12-16mm for me with minor smearing in the corners. Not a problem, becuase I often prefer the 5:4 format over 3:2.

2. Tamron SP A-mount 17-35mm f2.8-4 on LA-EA4. This lens is sharp in the center wide open, and edges are good 1-2 stops down. LA-EA4 allows phase focusing in very low light.

3. Sony 28 mm f2 lens. This lens has to be stopped down for edges, but is small and light. I got it because it was only $400, but it is not better than the Tamron zoom in IQ.

4. Sony 28-70mm kit lens. I'm not using this much, but in the bag for possible use in travel or walk-around.

5. Minolta 70-210mm f4 "Beercan" on LA-EA4. This lens is sharp from f5.6. Again, good for low-light AF due to the LA-EA4. I used this last night for a sunset shoot.

6. Nikon 85mm f1.8 "D" lens on Nikon adapter. This lens is good for narrow DOF portraits. Manual Focus and aperture setting on the lens. The downside is no exif data.

All of these lenses are sharp down to the pixel level on A7rII. They all show higher resolution on 42 mp A7rII compared to the 24 mp A7II. Most are available in a $100-300 price range (not 800-2000).

One thing to keep in mind from my testing: if you go above ISO 800, the differences in resolution between different lenses and bodies becomes negligible. Noise processing wipes out the difference.

Another thing that I am noticing: Several pros have commented that A7rII is not good for weddings due to poor auto-focus in low-light. For those who need low-light auto focus, the LA-EA4 solves the problem. You just need a couple of A-mount lenses. If I were going to do a low-light wedding with AF, I would consider using only the two A-mount zooms in this list.

For the future, I am thinking about getting an AF FE lens in the 85-135 mm range for portraits to take advantage of eye tracking AF.

I have a bunch of other Minolta lenses, but found huge chromatic aberration, beyond Lightroom's capability to correct. These include Minolta 20, 24-105, 75-300, 100-300.

I've also tried several of my longer Leica and Contax G lenses, but saw no advantage over the above list.

==Doug
    Last edited by douglaspboyd; 16th August 2015 at 08:39. Reason: grammer

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just tried AF with my Sony/Zeiss 135/1.8 A-mount with Sony LA-EA4 adapter;

also the CV12mm shows no color cast or vignetting

and the Contax G 90 with metabones helical focus adapter

all work great

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer manual focus on the normal and wide end and autofocus on the tele end.

So I'm going to wait for either a Batis 135 or Zeiss ZA 135 with SSM.

Right now I have

Zeiss ZM 15, Leica Cron 28 and Cron 50 APO. 3 lenses + 2 bodies amount to a little over 4.6 lb and all can fit into a ThinkTank Turnstyle 10 .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    just tried AF with my Sony/Zeiss 135/1.8 A-mount with Sony LA-EA4 adapter;

also the CV12mm shows no color cast or vignetting

and the Contax G 90 with metabones helical focus adapter

all work great
    Leica 75/2 AA? TIA!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Leica 75/2 AA? TIA!
    What about it, Vivek?

My lens doesn't have any problems on the A7R.
    So, I expect the lens to perform just fine on the A7RII.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 16th August 2015 at 12:45.
    With best regards, K-H.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

75 cron will be the next one i try if i can un-glue it from my monochrome

Post Thanks / Like

I would like some opinions on which wide lens combo to try out first.

I'm a minimalist so I figured one of these 2 combos I can start with, and then see where I go from there:

Either:
    16-35
    28 2

Or:
    25 Batis
    35 2.8

For me the 25 Batis is better than the 16-35, but the 28 is better than the 35. But I'm not going to carry around a 25 and 28, :-/.

So how do you guys feel about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhern213 View Post

I'm a minimalist so I figured one of these 2 combos I can start with, and then see where I go from there:

Either:
    16-35
    28 2

Or:
    25 Batis
    35 2.8

For me the 25 Batis is better than the 16-35, but the 28 is better than the 35. But I'm not going to carry around a 25 and 28, :-/.

I think option 2 would make more sense but I would consider the FE55 and FE16-35 giving you a greater range

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

75 cron will be the next one i try if i can un-glue it from my monochrome
    Unglue it, please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhern213 View Post

Either:
    16-35
    28 2

Or:
    25 Batis
    35 2.8

Agree with Viramati. For me, as much as I'd love the 25 Batis, when I want wide, 25mm won't do it. I carry the 16-35 and the FE55, but I have ordered the Batis 85 and will probably take that instead of the FE55 for a two lens bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the reason I'm iffy on the 16-35 is that I never shoot under 20mm, I just don't like that FOV, and when you get close to 35 the lens starts to loose IQ. So my reasoning was that if I'm always going to be in the 20's anyway why not spend the same amount of money on a lens that's faster and has better IQ while sacrificing the range. That's why I think I would rather have the 25 over the 16-35.

However after that then I said well the 28 is just as good as the 25 in IQ, the 3mm difference is nothing to me, I can do without a 35, and I can save $1k! lol. But then I would need to get the 16-35 because 28 is not wide enough.

My 55 and up lenses are completely covered, I know exactly what I need and like there.

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Agree with Viramati. For me, as much as I'd love the 25 Batis, when I want wide, 25mm won't do it. I carry the 16-35 and the FE55, but I have ordered the Batis 85 and will probably take that instead of the FE55 for a two lens bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    Thanks,
    J. Paul
    hope you guys dont mind me jumping in. i tried the sony 70-200 f4 (not extensively), and at the time thinking i will switch from my canon 70-200mm F4 (non-IS), but at the end i kept the canon because:

1, I didnt need fast AF. and to be honest, on A7r, the 70-200 F4 really isnt that fast anyway (no phase detection).
    2, while 100% crop shows more details with the sony, i found the canon has more pop/"appears" to be sharper at overall level (not at pixel peeping level).

so at the end i kept the canon.

a minor point, i like the zoom ring with canon a bit more than the sony. it feels...less premium...which means i have to care less about equipment and focus more on the actual picture.... but that's just me...
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know where a Batis 25mm is available. Can you email me if you do markay at stanford dot edu

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any one have any experience with the FE 70-200 on the A7RII versus the A7R? I once rented that lens to try it on my A7r but I thought it hunted too much when the light was low. Has this improved?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Any one have any experience with the FE 70-200 on the A7RII versus the A7R? I once rented that lens to try it on my A7r but I thought it hunted too much when the light was low. Has this improved?

Jim

I rented one for my New York shoot doing runway and it hunted badly . I actually thought the lens was in need of repair. I wound up shooting in AFS mode for thousands of shots. I would like to know this answer as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterSteve View Post
    What didn't work with regard to the Canon 135 f2 L? Was the the AF or optical issues? I have had good results with that lens on my A7R and had planned to keep it.
    It just hunted and never obtained focus lock. Others have had the same experience.

I hope you have better luck with yours.
    Geoff
    Too many cameras, too little time.
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

Post Thanks / Like

So far have the;
    16-35
    35 1.4
    55 1.8

I'd like Batis 25, 85, and maybe 135 to complete the set....

Post Thanks / Like

After a week I'm reasonably certain the A7RII is replacing my Monochrom for landscape work. And my usual lens set required only one substitution:

WATE 16-18-21
    Distagon 25 (to replace 2.8 Elmarit 24)
    MATE 28-35-50

I'd thought of collecting Leica R lenses when I first tried Sony A7, but opted instead for Zeiss Contax (C/Y) lenses. Initially I did so because they were cheap, and according to old reviews matched R image quality pretty much toe-to-toe. The C/Y 25, in particular, bested the 24 R lens, which was simply a Minolta. And now I love the middle-aged Zeiss rendering. I've picked up 28 2.8, 50 1.4, and 35-70 f3.4 Vario-Sonnar (the latter isn't the kit lens; it competed with the 35-70 f4 R and was at the time thought to be the winner). But I don't haul these Zeiss lenses around for landscape photography, because the 3-lens set (above) is so easy to carry.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

interesting that no one has mentioned canon's 11-24mm F4 so far.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm done!

After several years trying to build the 'holy grail' of kits...buying, using and ultimately selling a M8, M9, M240, D800e, two A7Rs, an A7S, and too many lenses to admit, I think my kit is actually done. The A7Rii finally brought it all together.

A7ii
    A7Rii
    VC 12mm
    FE 16-35mm
    Batis 25mm
    Loxia 50mm
    FE 70-200mm
    FE 90mm Macro
    Tamron 150-600mm (on LA-EA3)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm getting close just a matter of getting funds where I need them. I'm two lenses short of bliss. Okay maybe 3. I'm a gear whore

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: New lens lineup for the A7rII

It will of course depend on your intent and style...

WATE ++++/4
    Batist 25 ++++
    FE 35/1.4 ++++
    FE 55/1.8 ++++
    Loxia 50 ++++
    ZA 135 f/1.8 ++++
    Superb lens. Only received it yesterday, but truly a surprise package. It will still be a few months wait in Australia for the Batis 85!!
    With the A7rII you can hand hold the ZA 135 down to 1/10s combined with f/1.8 is amazing. To fully use this lens with the A7r would be
    very difficult as the min shutter speed would need be 1/180s

Loxia 35 +++
    FE 35/2.8 +++

If the above lenses are too clinical

Mandler Rendering

50 Nocti f1.0 ++++
    75 Lux ++++
    50 Cron IV ++++
    Last edited by CharlesK; 19th August 2015 at 16:32.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is my current lineup:

Leica WATE (16-21). Slow at F4, expensive, but excellent quality, especially stopped down, in a very compact package. Hard to beat at any price for combination of small size and quality

Leica R 28 2.8, v. 2: possibly best 28 ever made, manual focus only and adapter makes it a bit large, but if you like tho focal length, a very fine choice due to excellent quality. I don't use mine enough due to focal length being too close to 35 (with tiny FE) and bag size/weight.

FE 35 2.8. Not much to say except it is almost always in my bag or pocket due to small size, light weight, autofocus, and very good quality.

CV 35 1.2 v. 2: fairly small, quite heavy for size. Great bokeh and very fast lens. Really good wide open at short range for portraits and such. Less good at infinity than the FE due to poor contrast until stopped down to 5.6 after which it is good and by F8 really good across the frame. Very versatile lens with only weakness being infinity at large apertures. MF only. It usually finds its way to my bag for low light, casual portraiture, etc.

FE 55 1.8: probably the no brainier choice of all the FE line. Reasonably priced, very good across the frame. Very sharp. AF is good. Other 50mm have more character perhaps, but is the obvious first choice for a 50mm prime for Sony FE.

Leica M 75 1.4: just bought it! So far it seems great. I anticipate a lot of character and a perfect low loght complement to the CV 35 1.2 with lots of character.

Leica M 90mm/2 AA. Amazing lens. MTF almost perfect from wide open. Pretty compact if dense. Great portrait lens and for landscape. Really no weaknesses that I can find. Lot's of competition at this focal length, but one of the best. Drawbacks are price and MF only. Not sure I need the Batis 85 except for autofocus.

Sony 70-200/4. Very good quality. Very useful for travel as covers a lot of focal length in a reasonably light package albeit not small. Pretty good for outdoor portraiture too. Lenses like this show that the size advantage of the mirrorless system does not translate to telephoto lenses. Only finds its way into my bag when I need a long lens.

My bag usually has WATE, 35 2.8, and 55 in it for hiking, landscapes, and such or, if I don't need UWA, sub the Leica 90/2. Will otherwise mix and match depending on what my needs are.

Hope some of this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Still waiting on that A7rII! :-(

Regarding the lens line up, I plan to use my existing lenses for the Sony Alpha 99SLT. My initial plan is to add a couple of lenses in ranges where my 24-70/2.8 ZA is weak, short end and long end.

So the new lenses are Canon 24/3.5 TSE (where I am very much interested in the shift and tilt) and the new Sony 90/2.8 macro. Where I go from here I need to find out.

I have not bought the 24-70/4, as test reports are saying it is mediocre and downwards, although I understand it may be a bit better than that. I understand that 24-70 lenses are difficult designs. Canon's 24-70/2.8 LII is probably the best of the bunch. So I bought the 28-70/3.5-5.6 lens which seems to be a decent design but still mediocre. I wanted a lens with decent AF.

Present plan may be to go with the two Loxias or something like that.

Present line up:

Sigma 10/2.8 Fisheye with adapter (this is APS-C and used sometimes as a speciality lens)
    Sigma 12-24 with adapter
    Sony 24-70/2.8ZA with adapter
    Sony 70-400/4-5.6G with adapter
    Sony 70-300/4.5G with adapter (for lightweight packing)
    Canon 24/3.5 TSE LII
    Sony 28-70/3.5-5.6 (for lightweight packing)
    Sony 90/2.8G Macro

But right now I wait for the camera. After that I need to find out about the lenses I have and consider next options.

Meanwhile, I need to get rid of some old equipment.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I finally found bliss after screwing around with this since I bought in.

VC15 version III. Love this little thing

Batis 25 turns out maybe one of the best you can bolt on. My tests reviled uncanny performance

Sony/Zeiss 35 1.4 is just a fabolous look lens

Batis 85 is amazing centrally and just a great performer

Minolta 200 I just sold mine to Cindy several weeks ago but it was a mistake and I knew it. Just amazing old lens that not much can touch in that range. So I bought one back

I need a mid zoom and I'm just not happy with my options and more importantly this one is a money issue since it will get little use. I just don't want to invest much in it.

I'm actually done for a bit and just settle in . I'm tired of buying and selling

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

picked up the 90mm macro; noticed it has a steady shot on/off button on the lens. i would assume you leave this off and use the steady shot in the body, if at all?

or off on the body, on on the lens?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

picked up the 90mm macro; noticed it has a steady shot on/off button on the lens. i would assume you leave this off and use the steady shot in the body, if at all?

I also have a 90 FE on the way and have the same question. I seem to recall that the Olympus IBIS operates in concert with lens stabilization (if present) with different axes being controlled by the IBIS and lens OSS. Don't know if same applies to Sony system or not.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody did this test on here just a little bit ago, don't remember what thread the post was in.

In conclusion they said you can keep the stabilization on from both the lens and the body with no issues, tripod or not.