Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New lens lineup for the A7rII

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New lens lineup for the A7rII

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    picked up the 90mm macro; noticed it has a steady shot on/off button on the lens. i would assume you leave this off and use the steady shot in the body, if at all?

or off on the body, on on the lens?
    Both systems work together, and turning OFF the switch on the lens turns both systems off.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

K
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Both systems work together, and turning OFF the switch on the lens turns both systems off.
    Thanks, exactly. IIRC, I think for that lens OSS (Sony's name for IBIS) is greyed out in the menu.

For OSS lenses pitch and yaw stabilization seems to be provided by the lens whereas roll, X and Y stabilization is provided by the camera. The system needs to know the focal length. For X and Y stabilization it also needs to know distance to subject.

X and Y stabilization contributions are most important for close focus and go to zero for infinity.

So, when the lens doesn't communicate electronically focus distance information to the camera body, IBIS does pitch, yaw, and roll stabilization.

Of course, for native but non-OSS lenses the camera's IBIS does all 5 axis corrections, i.e. 5 inputs for 3 outputs. The sensor doesn't tilt. It can move in X and Y and rotate within the X-Y plane.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 26th August 2015 at 11:29.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Time for me to jump into the pool on this excellent forum...

Two years ago I sold off my Canon gear to start again with the A7. I ended up returning 2 A7 bodies due to issues I just couldn't live with and privately concluded that the A7 just wasn't quite ready. Since then I've been amusing myself with an RX100 and an RX1R and had a brief, hello-goodbye affair with an E-M1.

From the day of the announcement the A7R2 looked to be the one I've been waiting for and so far I have not been disappointed. I bought 3 lenses for it - I used my brain for a change and decided to push the impulse buys and the fine tuning off into the future, after I get more time with the kit...

16-35/4
    55/1.8
    70-200/4

Am looking forward to adding to this forum and benefitting from the talent and experience of its members...

-JM

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jim251 View Post

Two years ago I sold off my Canon gear to start again with the A7. I ended up returning 2 A7 bodies due to issues I just couldn't live with and privately concluded that the A7 just wasn't quite ready. Since then I've been amusing myself with an RX100 and an RX1R and had a brief, hello-goodbye affair with an E-M1.

From the day of the announcement the A7R2 looked to be the one I've been waiting for and so far I have not been disappointed. I bought 3 lenses for it - I used my brain for a change and decided to push the impulse buys and the fine tuning off into the future, after I get more time with the kit...

16-35/4
    55/1.8
    70-200/4

Am looking forward to adding to this forum and benefitting from the talent and experience of its members...

-JM
    Well Welcome and we love to have you here and in my famous last words. Post some images. LOL

Yea Im the funster around here. LOL

Seriously look forward to you posts
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim251 View Post

16-35/4
    55/1.8
    70-200/4

-JM
    Hi JM - welcome! I'm fairly new here and have learned a lot from and been inspired by the forum. That is a great starting lineup and I applaud your thoughtfulness in slowly acquiring gear - I hope to learn to do so myself. Or at least get better at selling, I've got buying down pretty well.