Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New lens lineup for the A7rII

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New lens lineup for the A7rII

I'm going to start this now. This will be a okay this is working great or not thread. Includes all brands. Nikon, canon, Leica and such. What adapter works best and such.

We need a home for this kind of data so when Joe Smith buys one in 3 months we have a reference thread.

Images are great too.

Have fun
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New lens lineup for the A7rII

My lineup is small but mighty.

VC 15mm
    Batis 25
    Sony 35 1.4
    Batis 85

At the moment sigma 24-70 2.8 with LAe3

Looking at 135 or 200 options
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't I recall your having a great 200. Your comments led me to buy one (great lens)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My lineup is small but mighty.

VC 15mm
    Batis 25
    Sony 35 1.4
    Batis 85

At the moment sigma 24-70 2.8 with LAe3

Looking at 135 or 200 options
    Last edited by JMaher; 4th August 2015 at 18:06.

Post Thanks / Like

My plan:

Batis 25
    Sony 35/1.4
    Sony 55/1.8
    Batis 85
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why is this is the "Gear FS or WTB" forum? Shouldn't this be moved to the "Sony" forum?

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not planning to buy the A7r II until the prices cool down to my liking. We all know what happened to the prices of the A7r/A7, etc.

I have a lot of lenses, not planning to buy anything new either.

Post Thanks / Like

Camera due in an hour or so.

In the quiver so far: 35mm Loxia, Sony 90mm

Aspire to: 25mm Batis.
    Last edited by stephen.s1; 5th August 2015 at 15:43.
    Stephen

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: New lens lineup for the A7rII

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Why is this is the "Gear FS or WTB" forum? Shouldn't this be moved to the "Sony" forum?

Joe
    Joe I just assumed with the frequency Guy buys and sells items, he's already setting up his buy/sell foundation of items and adapters he's planning to turn over, shortly after listing them here in this thread. Of course each having been tried and used used only 1x. What better place to start this. Saves him time from having to start a new thread...LOL.

Ok, should I start to run and hide now or will putting on my hard hat suffice??

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post

Joe
    My bad moving it now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

Must have been a Freudian moment that you started this in the B&S section

I have of course moved it for you
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks bud. I just noticed my mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Joe I just assumed with the frequency Guy buys and sells items, he's already setting up his buy/sell foundation of items and adapters he's planning to turn over, shortly after listing them here in this thread. Of course each having been tried and used used only 1x. What better place to start this. Saves him time from having to start a new thread...LOL.

Ok, should I start to run and hide now or will putting on my hard hat suffice??

Dave (D&A)
    Ah ha someone that knows me to well. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Don't I recall your having a great 200. Your comments led me to buy one (great lens)
    Yes the Minolta 200 but it will still have to be used with the LAe4 which is still the center cluster of AF points. I decided to sell it and try something that gets the full AF points the new body can do.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As nice as the primes look, is there a 24-70 that is worth putting on the A7rII? The Sony (my copy at least) was too soft to resolve "even" the A7II sensor . I settled for a Contax 24-85 which is slow, MF, but quite sharp across the frame below 80mm.

But if the Canon glass can AF well, does that make the 24-70/2.8L IS v2 a good candidate? Other favorites?

--Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am quite interested in a Nikon AFS G E to Sony E adapter that can do AF. This becomes very relevant especially in light of the very affordable (and what appears to be) high quality glass from Nikon. Especially the 200-500/5.6. There is absolutely no chance that Sony/Zeiss will do anything close to that.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I am quite interested in a Nikon AFS G E to Sony E adapter that can do AF. This becomes very relevant especially in light of the very affordable (and what appears to be) high quality glass from Nikon. Especially the 200-500/5.6. There is absolutely no chance that Sony/Zeiss will do anything close to that.
    Thanks Vivek, I agree on the adapter as I already have an excellent Nikkor AF-S 80-400. :-)
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy days

Mine at the moment

-Sony/Zeiss 16-35mm F/4

-Sony/Zeiss 35mm F/2.8

-Sony 90mm F/2.8 G OSS

considering Batis 25mm.

I also have the 24mm-70mm Sony/Zeiss F/4 but have some concerns about absolute image quality.

Compact, high quality. Camera feel great balanced by the compact and easily overlooked 35mm/2.8.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably converge on one body and one system with the A7RII (getting rid of m4/3 and probably sell both A7II and A7S). I may wait and see what the A7SII will be, though I doubt I'll hold out for more than a few months...

So probably will do (have all these except Batis 25):

FE 16-35/4 and OM 21/3.5 for a smaller WA option
    Option: Buy Batis 25/2 and sell OM 24/2.8, but I tend to prefer 21/35mm focal length spacing. But Batis samples really appeal to me, has some "magic".
    FE 35/2.8 and FE 35/1.4
    FE 55/1.8 and ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 (character lens, complements FE 55)
    Short MF tele (Will do a shootout between my OM 100/2.8, OM 135/3.5 and Summarit 90/2.5) until a smaller AF tele prime in the 90-135 range is released (may look at Batis but would prefer a little longer focal length)

Probably sell the FE 28/2, Loxia 35, FE 24-70/4 (just don't like the IQ relative to every other lens I have and I carry an LX100 as backup and daily carry that covers for casual shooting), Cron-R 50

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to think about maybe getting a Canon 85L and adapter instead of the 85mm Batis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I'm starting to think about maybe getting a Canon 85L and adapter instead of the 85mm Batis.
    Might have to talk you out of that one. The Batis is very very nice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    As nice as the primes look, is there a 24-70 that is worth putting on the A7rII? The Sony (my copy at least) was too soft to resolve "even" the A7II sensor .
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I also have the 24mm-70mm Sony/Zeiss F/4 but have some concerns about absolute image quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellc View Post
    Probably sell the FE 28/2, Loxia 35, FE 24-70/4 (just don't like the IQ relative to every other lens I have and I carry an LX100 as backup and daily carry that covers for casual shooting), Cron-R 50
    There are 20 posts so far and 3 people have mentioned they are not thrilled with the FE 24-70/4. That's almost a trend. Is it just OK, but not great? Are the 16-35/4 and 70-200/4 better or about the same?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Batistich View Post
    There are 20 posts so far and 3 people have mentioned they are not thrilled with the FE 24-70/4. That's almost a trend. Is it just OK, but not great? Are the 16-35/4 and 70-200/4 better or about the same?
    When I owned mine it was decent but not worth what they're asking for a new one. IF you can find it in the $6-800range then I say go for it if you need it.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My lenses are in my signature but in short here they are below. Contemplating adding the A-mount 70-300/4.5-5.6 SSM II and waiting on a ultra wide Batis/Loxia prime or get the 16-35/4.

25 Batis Distagon FE
    35 Distagon FE
    55 Sonnar FE
    85 Batis Sonnar FE
    135 Sonnar (A-mount)
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FE 24-70mm F/4 is an OK, but not great, lens. The 16-35mm is better, actually very good, but the Batis 25mm would be the best choice for ultimate quality from the samples I have seen.

My portrait length compromise is the outstanding 90mm Macro G OSS, because it will serve two purposes - as a portait lens, and as a macro / studio lens. Much as I like the look of the Batis 85mm F/1.8, the 90mm Macro not only matches it optically (it might even be better) but it has that dual purpose.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

My plan:

18 mm: Touit 12 in APS-C mode
    35 mm: 35/1.4 FE and Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 in APS-C mode when portability is needed
    55 mm: 55/1.8 FE
    85 mm: Batis 85

I might sell the Touit to help fund a Batis 25 at some point, but before buying the Batis I want to see what other lenses might come out in the coming months.

I know that the 35/2.8 probably makes more sense than the 24/1.8 in APS-C mode, but I love the rendering of the 24/1.8 and I'm not yet ready to part with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to buy those Batis lenses just because I like the name. If I shorten my last name, I can introduce myself as Mr. Batis.
    Last edited by Zlatko Batistich; 5th August 2015 at 14:12.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that it depends on whether you get a good copy or not. My copy is sharp and has excellent IQ. I'll see soon whether it resolves well enough for the a7R II. Some photographers with local camera stores have the luxury of trying several copies and picking the "best of breed". I use B&H and have a 30-day return window during which I can evaluate performance. From my admittedly limited experience, sample variation tends to be higher with Sony-Zeiss lenses than with Leica, Zeiss (not Sony-Zeiss) or Nikon. YMMV.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to hold off on the rII because I saw it as a marginal upgrade. Looks like Quentin is going to cost me about $3k with his images. I won't be leaving my current lineup of lenses. Zeiss 15, 28, 50 macro, 85 and 100 macro in Canon mount. Canon FD 400 2.8. Minolta 50 1.2. Meyer Trioplan 50 and 100. Helios 58 and 85. Pentax 85 soft focus. Sima plastic crap soft focus (nice). I may be forgetting one or two. Those all fit in one Think Tank bag, btw, if you can lift it. Exactly 0 of those lenses auto focus and I am always on a tripod, so many of the rII features do not interest me. Damn that Quentin for those images. Ooops, forgot Canon 17 t/s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As nice as the primes look, is there a 24-70 that is worth putting on the A7rII? The Sony (my copy at least) was too soft to resolve "even" the A7II sensor . I settled for a Contax 24-85 which is slow, MF, but quite sharp across the frame below 80mm.

But if the Canon glass can AF well, does that make the 24-70/2.8L IS v2 a good candidate? Other favorites?

--Matt
    Lensrentals has a brief video with the Canon zoom, looks very good to me. I'll be able to try this tomorrow.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If the AF performs as anticipated with Canon lenses via either Metabones IV or Fotodiox adapters there are several Canon lens I have been contemplating selling that now may go back into the case.

35L, 24L, 24-105L, 200 F2.8L II, 16-35 F2.8L II, and 300 F4L.

The 24L is hard to justify with the Batis 25. But it will be interesting to see how it works with AF via the adapter.

I anticipate the Batis pair will still be my go to primes. They are the focal lengths I like for primes.

BTW, my copy of the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 does a nice job. I used it the other day to document some paintings and drawings for a conservator and museum. At f8 the images are sharp, distortion free and no vignetting. Its been awhile since I shot much with it but don't recall ever thinking it was letting me down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to see if your 200 version II works

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the FE 24-70 as a casual lens but it's not up to the standards of the FE16-35, and way off the standard of the FE 35 f1.4. (Or the FE 90)

Tellingly, on a recent two-week expedition I passed it up and took the 16-35 (which actually I rarely used), the FE35 f1.4 (which I used constantly), the FE 55 1.8 and the FE 70-200 which I used as much as the 35.

In retrospect, I could have simply taken the 35 and the 70-200 for this particular trip. The 24-70 would not have come with me either way.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Or specialize in sharp panoramas and make your name Batistitch!
    Eduardo

I'll have to buy those Batis lenses just because I like the name. If I shorten my last name, I can introduce myself as Mr. Batis.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by engel001 View Post
    Lensrentals has a brief video with the Canon zoom, looks very good to me. I'll be able to try this tomorrow.
    Was that the 24-70/2.8? I couldn't tell what they were using, but it did look good.

Well, I'd have to upgrade most (all?) of my Canon glass even if I went with a newer Canon body. The only thing the 10 year old body lacks is usable ISO above 800, but the A7II has definitely spoiled me there.

Interesting weeks ahead!

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Or specialize in sharp panoramas and make your name Batistitch!
    Eduardo
    Brilliant! Thank you!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Was that the 24-70/2.8? I couldn't tell what they were using, but it did look good.
    The review says they were using the Canon 24-70/2.8 II in the video. It's hard to tell in the video, but at the very end you see a brief glimpse of the red ring. The AF looks pretty good! The review is here: http://blog.lensrentals.com/blog/201...a-brief-review

Post Thanks / Like

My starter kit will be: the 16-35mm f4, a CG 45mm, and a CG 90mm.

I am hoping the CG28mm might work on this body at least from f5.6 and up.

I will most likely add the 70-200 f4 and the 35mm f1.4 in the future after the sting of this initial outlay dissipates a bit

Post Thanks / Like

WATE 16-18-21
    Batis 25
    Sony 28/2
    Sony/Zeiss 35/2.8
    Sony/Zeiss 55/1.8
    Batis 85
    ApoTelyt 135
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Fallon View Post
    I was going to hold off on the rII because I saw it as a marginal upgrade. Looks like Quentin is going to cost me about $3k with his images. I won't be leaving my current lineup of lenses. Zeiss 15, 28, 50 macro, 85 and 100 macro in Canon mount. Canon FD 400 2.8. Minolta 50 1.2. Meyer Trioplan 50 and 100. Helios 58 and 85. Pentax 85 soft focus. Sima plastic crap soft focus (nice). I may be forgetting one or two. Those all fit in one Think Tank bag, btw, if you can lift it. Exactly 0 of those lenses auto focus and I am always on a tripod, so many of the rII features do not interest me. Damn that Quentin for those images. Ooops, forgot Canon 17 t/s.
    My lawyers (Bargate Murray) advise me to deny all liability!
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Love to see if your 200 version II works
    Guy,
    Just got an email that Adorama is shipping my A7RII today. Should have it in hand Monday afternoon.
    Then the fun begins. :-)

May be the best approach is to do my testing and add articles to my blog.

Here is LINK to an article about the Metabones IV, Canon 300mm and A7II. I sure hope that all the noise about the A7RII and improved AF is true.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen my A7rII yet, which is good because I probably need to sell a few things to keep the wife happy. My lens lineup though is rearing to go.

Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 + metabones
    Canon 24 TS-E, 45 TS-E and 90 TS-E + Metabones IV
    Leica 28, 50 Summicrons (Hoping 28 will improve on new cam)
    Might look for a Tele option around 200mm to complete lineup
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Preliminary indoor light color wall test has the CG28 looking very good wide open except some light fall off. This I am not sure is just how close those tabs are to that sensor. Kinda looks like it would be very close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Preliminary indoor light color wall test has the CG28 looking very good wide open except some light fall off. This I am not sure is just how close those tabs are to that sensor. Kinda looks like it would be very close.
    Many thanks for this report ! I'm curious about the corners sharpness too : on the A7r I'm getting smeared corners; is it improved on the A7r2 too ?

Yes, I'm worrying about the protruding tabs getting too near of the sensor too. Some people are cutting those wings away in order to avoid that. Up until now I didn't have enough the boldness to treat mines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to say my head is starting to spin on lens choices. I got a couple holes a mid-zoom and something in the 200 range but given this new body and the AF abilities it has now. I'm starting to think going native is the best option on some things. I have the VC 15mm version III which is now a permanent fixture in my bag both Batis lens s and the Zeiss Sony 35 1.4 those four lenses are my mainstay. This 200 mm thing is really getting old trying to figure this out. I loved my Minolta 200 and I may try and buy a members unit back in my hands. Seems only a canon zoom or Sony zoom can effectively handle the best AF features. I'm really left with two choices the 70-200 F4 Sony or the Minolta 200mm with LA-E4 adapter which does not give me the AF points I am after

As far as the mid zoom again bought it twice rented it 4 times but I may just buy it back the 24-70 for PR stuff. Trying to find a real bargain price here on that one

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Many thanks for this report ! I'm curious about the corners sharpness too : on the A7r I'm getting smeared corners; is it improved on the A7r2 too ?

Yes, I'm worrying about the protruding tabs getting too near of the sensor too. Some people are cutting those wings away in order to avoid that. Up until now I didn't have enough the boldness to treat mines.
    My CG 28 was converted to M mount so I don't have any tabs to worry about, but unfortunately it still produces smeared corners. I'll stay with the Sony FE28/2 that performs beautifully with the A7RII, as does it's older sibling the FE35/2.8.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna have to add the 35mm Loxia to my list. Just tried it out and really loved it as a complement to the 35/1.4. And Guy talked me back into the 85 Batis, lol.

So the revised list:
    Batis 25
    Sony 35/1.4
    Loxia 35
    Sony 55/1.8
    Batis 85

Post Thanks / Like

for me:

VC 12mm
    VC 15mm
    leica 28-35-50mm (yes! i decided to stick with me trusty leica tri-elmar)
    FE 55mm

for tele end, depends how light i need to go:
    ZE 135mm
    canon 70-200 f4
    sony a-mount 85mm + LAEA3

might swap FE 55mm with VC 40mm if there are alot of street photograhy

my current problem is, im not sure if i want to keep a7r as second body to A7rII or i should trade it in for A7rII and only keep one body....
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    My CG 28 was converted to M mount so I don't have any tabs to worry about, but unfortunately it still produces smeared corners. I'll stay with the Sony FE28/2 that performs beautifully with the A7RII, as does it's older sibling the FE35/2.8.
    scho,

Who did the CG conversion to M for you? It must have added a focusing helicoid (I don't believe there are floating elements), is it good and smooth? Or does it simply couple to the screw drive like the adapters do? Regardless of how the 28 performs on the r2 (though I hope it does well because I have one too), I would love to have a nice smooth focusing mechanism and less weight from the adapters for my 45 and 90 CG. I am particularly in love with the 90 rendering.

Thanks,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I have not tested my CG28 outside but with your results and my anxiety about those tabs being too close to the sensor I will not even give it a try outside and will put it back in my ContaxG2 kit with the 21, and 35 thanks!! I have the 16-35mm if I need that focal length without concern about tab clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's interesting that hardly anyone chooses to include the Zeiss 35mm F/2.8 in their list, yet its almost the perfect lens for the A7 series in many ways.

Its small, feels great on camera, sharp, reasonably fast-ish, gets the benefit of in-body stabilisation with the A7RII. Great general purpose focal length.

Is it the forgotten jilted partner more afficianados should consider ahead of more exotic, newer glass, I wonder? I own one and its on my list.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post