Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A7rII with Canon AF database reference.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7rII with Canon AF database reference.

Canon 200mm f2.8 II USM and 40mm f2.8 working great with Techart EOS-iNEXII adapter with version 3 firmware.
    One caveat, I had to use my A7r to upgrade the firmware. My A7rII wouldn't recognize the adapter until it was updated.
    I was able to use AF-C and Wide to track moving objects. I don't own a Canon Camera to compare native focus speed, but it seems fast and accurate to me.

-Tom
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kimbrunstudio View Post
    Recently the camera locks up on MF as well. I can get 3-8 exposures before the EVF and LCD go black and the camera will not respond to anything. When I turn it Off a few seconds pass when the last image captured displays on the LCD. This is when the camera is OFF. When is OFF not OFF? Now I am concerned there may be an electronic communication issue that can harm the camera. Anyone else having this issue?
    Discovered a potential solution to the Sigma 50 ART problems I have been having. Power. Put a fresh 100% fully charged battery in the A7rII and proceeded to shoot AF and MF with the Sigma 50 ART. No lock ups. No hesitations. No problems through a series of 20-30 images. This is a first. I am now leaning towards the idea of never letting the battery drop below 75% charge when working with this combination. Have to give it try this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Late to the party

My two bits so far, in order of compatibility:

1. !00-400L Mark II - no issues but slow focus above 300. Between 100 and 200 it is very quick. Phase works better than Contrast. I did not notice a difference between 'full' range and 3m-infinity. However, the A7RII will not be replacing my Canon bodies on this one.

2. 70-200 F4 IS - Strange problem the lens will sometimes lock up and turning the camera off and on makes no difference, there is no image. Have to remove the battery to undo it. Focus works fine, throughout the range, quick enough for regular use.

3. 24-70 f2.8 - Works great, no problems

4. 16-35 f4 - Works great, even at 3 ft away. Would be useful if I just had to take one wide angle lens with me for both Canon and Sony systems.

5. 400 DO MkII - just got it today. Much surprised to see it works almost flawlessly! Will try to do some action shots with birds in the area this weekend. Awesome lens to begin with and works well with the Sony

Sorry, forgot to mention, using Metabones MkIV adapter.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Discovered a potential solution to the Sigma 50 ART problems I have been having. Power. Put a fresh 100% fully charged battery in the A7rII and proceeded to shoot AF and MF with the Sigma 50 ART. No lock ups. No hesitations. No problems through a series of 20-30 images. This is a first. I am now leaning towards the idea of never letting the battery drop below 75% charge when working with this combination. Have to give it try this weekend.
    Tested the A7rII/Metabones III and Metabones IV/Sigma 50 ART lens and have concluded that there is an issue with this combination. Battery level did not turn out to be an issue as the cameras, yes I tested two bodies, all locked up no matter what percentage of a charge. The problem is so intermittent that I could get a run of 15 or so shots before the LCD and EVF would go black and lock up the entire camera for up to a minute. Or I could shot two shots and have a lock up. This happened on both cameras and with both adapters. So I have no solution. As I haven't seen anyone else use this combination, I guess I am lucky enough to be the only one. Oh what fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a few posts mention the incompatibility of the A7R2 and Sigma 50 Art. I posted a message about it a few weeks back: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/558...anon-body.html

Try another adapter. The Fotodiox works.

Post Thanks / Like

Tested the A7rII/Metabones III and Metabones IV/Sigma 50 ART lens and have concluded that there is an issue with this combination. Battery level did not turn out to be an issue as the cameras, yes I tested two bodies, all locked up no matter what percentage of a charge. The problem is so intermittent that I could get a run of 15 or so shots before the LCD and EVF would go black and lock up the entire camera for up to a minute. Or I could shot two shots and have a lock up. This happened on both cameras and with both adapters. So I have no solution. As I haven't seen anyone else use this combination, I guess I am lucky enough to be the only one. Oh what fun.
    For me the same thing was happening with the Canon 70-200 f4, the camera would lock up if I changed the settings from Phase to Contrast or vice versa. There was no picture and none of the controls worked. The lens motor kept running without my doing anything. Turning the camera off didn't turn the lens off. Had to take the battery out to reset it.

So far it seems that the wide angle primes and zooms are working very well. Given that they would be the choice for landscapes - slow, deliberate focusing, it means that one does not have to take two sets of wides into the field. However, to me, the new Batis lenses are much better than the Canon lot, which means back to square one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NoBob View Post
    I've seen a few posts mention the incompatibility of the A7R2 and Sigma 50 Art. I posted a message about it a few weeks back: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/558...anon-body.html

Try another adapter. The Fotodiox works.
    Do all the AF functions work with the Fotodiox? So this combination never locks up the camera? Have to give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the AF on the Sigma 50 Art works fine with the Fotodiox. No lock-ups. You'll need to paint the inside of the Fotodiox with matt black paint to prevent flare though. I used this paint: Camouflage Paint made with Fusion for Plastic® Technology - | Krylon
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good news!

With the new Metabones Firmware, the Canon 85mm f1,8 now works!!

Very cool.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BT4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Loaded new Metabones firmware V0.43 and my Canon 135mm L works!! Great job, Metabones!

Also verified: Autofocus works on Conurus converted Contax N 24-85mm, 85mm/1.4, and 100mm macro.
    Last edited by engel001; 18th September 2015 at 10:24.

Post Thanks / Like

With new firmware auto focus works on:
    24mm F1.4L V 1 OK
    35mm F1.4L OK
    50mm F1.4 OK
    55mm Macro OK
    200mm F2.8 L II OK
    300mm F4.0 L IS OK
    Also works with Sigma 1.4 TC and 300mm.
    150mm Sigma Macro OK

None of them are snappy but all will focus. The lenses tend to go to the focus extreme then ratchet to the focus point.

I was testing in relatively dim light. Will be interesting to see if its better outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like metabones .43 firmware allows the 400 f5.6 to focus as well--user in thread here reports .41 failed, .43 successful; no other detail.

Hurrah for .43?

Post Thanks / Like

100-400 is usm version1 is slowly, but exactly, over the whole range ,at all distances, focussing. No pumping, it moves to the focuspoint and stays there.

80-200/4 is usm : very fasta nd accurat.

24-70/4 : same, very good now.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently the camera locks up on MF as well. I can get 3-8 exposures before the EVF and LCD go black and the camera will not respond to anything. When I turn it Off a few seconds pass when the last image captured displays on the LCD. This is when the camera is OFF. When is OFF not OFF? Now I am concerned there may be an electronic communication issue that can harm the camera. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, this is happening with my 70-200 f4 IS only. It locks up if I change some settings like from Contrast to Phase detect. Then turning the camera off or on does nothing, the LCD and EVF are black and often the lens motor will keep running. The only way to normalize things it to take the battery out, it instantly resets itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Per NoBob's recommendation, I purchased a Fotodiox EF-E adapter. I put the Sigma 50mm ART on my A7rII and took it out for a spin. 48 shots later, no lockups, no AF problems, and now I can really have some fun.
    Of course I really need to find something that I want to shoot that is time critical to see if it will lock up. But at the moment, I am impressed with the speed and accuracy of this adapter. Much better combination than the Metabones III with 0.41 firmware even when I wasn't locking up the camera. So I now will leave the Fotodiox attached to the Sigma 50 ART and use the Metabones III with all my Canon glass where it works great!

Thanks NoBob!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jaclarkaus View Post
    People with 100-400 II might try this:

I have a 100-400 I:
    With Metabones 3 did not work at all. Seemed a communications error
    With Metabones 4 and .41firmware worked fine at shorter focal lengths (<300?) but could not lock on at 400 as reported by others in this thread. THEN I moved the distance switch to 6.5m-infinity and it worked fine. Cannot select MF from camera (only AFS or AFC) but can from lens as well. IS and everything worked fine.
    Have you tried the 100-400mm with the new firmware (v0.44) for the Metabones IV?

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone tried the new 35/1.4 II on A7 cams?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

I sent my Metabones 3 to Hong Kong for update. Prior to updating, the 100mm macro IS would not autofocus. Now it works fine (well as good a it did on my Canon). Fairly quick in good light, still hunts and does not focus in low light. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks, cost about $50 in postage round trip. (Shipped from California on Sept 11, received back on Sept 28.)

Email from Metabones:

"Please send the Speed Booster to us for checking and firmware update, there’s no service charges, you only pay US$25 for the return shipping charges by Fedex.
    if accept, please send the parcel to the following address and pay the return shipping charge to our PayPal account:
    Our PayPal account: [email protected]
    Our shipping address:
    Company name: Global Boom International Limited
    Attn: Miss Chik
    Address:Flat C, 6/F, On Loong Factory Building,
    No. 11-13 Luk Hop Street,
    San Po Kong, Kowloon,
    Hong Kong
    Tel: +852 2321 8817
    Please inform us the shipping information and the PayPal payment transaction id for reference.

Thanks & regards
    Elsie
    GBI Ltd
    www.metabones.com"
    Steve's gear Sony A7r2, A7r, 55mm 1.5, 35mm 2.8, 70-200, 90mm macro; Canon 24-105, 17mmTSE, 14mm II, 2.8, 100mm macro IS, MPE65mm 1-5x macro, 300mm 2.8IS, Zeiss 21mm, Metabones EF-E mount adapter, DJI S1000 Octocopter with custom gimbal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSteve View Post
    I sent my Metabones 3 to Hong Kong for update. Prior to updating, the 100mm macro IS would not autofocus. Now it works fine (well as good a it did on my Canon). Fairly quick in good light, still hunts and does not focus in low light. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks, cost about $50 in postage round trip. (Shipped from California on Sept 11, received back on Sept 28.)

Email from Metabones:

"Please send the Speed Booster to us for checking and firmware update, there’s no service charges, you only pay US$25 for the return shipping charges by Fedex.
    if accept, please send the parcel to the following address and pay the return shipping charge to our PayPal account:
    Our shipping address:
    San Po Kong, Kowloon,
    Hong Kong
    Please inform us the shipping information and the PayPal payment transaction id for reference.

Thanks & regards
    Elsie
    GBI Ltd
    www.metabones.com"
    Very interesting and encouraging. Thanks for sharing your experience. May I ask three questions :

1) I see you have both the A7r and A7r2 : is the A7r still working smoothly after that update ?

2) there was also some flaring problems with version III : did they correct this too (adding black mat paint for instance). Also the opening if I remember correctly was slightly smaller on version III causing some vignetting on TSE lenses. Did they take the baffle away ? Aka : was this only a software update, or also a hardware one ?

3) in future, would you be able to make newer updates by yourself ? Or would you have to send it to Hongkong again ?

TIA for your answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSteve View Post

Email from Metabones:

Our shipping address:
    San Po Kong, Kowloon,
    Hong Kong

Thanks & regards
    Elsie
    GBI Ltd
    www.metabones.com"
    Wow, that is $90 less than it costs me to ship from Portland, OR. What carrier did you use? I went with the cheapest FedEx offered to ship to Hong Kong $100. Metabones also charged me $35 for return shipping.

As for future updates, the Metabones III can not have firmware updates except at the factory. No USB port.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi i upgraded my metabones IV EF adapter to a new 0.45 firmware and now auto focus on a7rII became very slow
    Does somebody have any previous versions? mine was 0.36 and auto-focus was fast. Please help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2121 View Post
    Hi i upgraded my metabones IV EF adapter to a new 0.45 firmware and now auto focus on a7rII became very slow
    Does somebody have any previous versions? mine was 0.36 and auto-focus was fast. Please help.
    I'm waiting on v0.46 based on this cautious blog post:

http://briansmith.com/metabones-rele...e-update-0-45/

Joe

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

.46 firmware is out and working perfectly now with my Tammy 35 1.8 and faster too
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Macro?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I want to buy a 85mm portrait lens for my A7r II, the Batis is a bit expensive (having just bought the camera), and it is only 1,8. I would like to get the Sigma 85mm 1,4 HSM.
    Question: Is it likely to work faster (AF) with EF mount via my Metabones IV adapter, or faster with an Sony A mount with LA-EA3 adapter?

I read reports of Brian Smith and Mike Kobal, but did not get a clear idea of how both lenses would behave... I read reports that the 35mm Art lens works very fast, but did not find the same about the 85/1,4, except the fact that it works good, but in microsteps (MikeKobal).

Thanks
    Bernie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As of November 23th, there is a new version of the Metabones Smartadapter V. IV : version 0.47

There are two benefits :

a) it will be compatible with version 2.0 of the firmware of the A7II
    b) AF supported @ F8 with the 1.4x and 2.0x Canon Extender.

More here : Metabones® (windows users)
    or here : Metabones® (Mac)

I just updated mine from version 0.45 and it was absolutely flawless and now the focusing is incredibly fast with the 70-200mm F4 L IS USM and 1.4x extender. Wow.. I'm really impressed.
    I don't have the 2x extender, so can't report about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aphoto View Post
    Good news!

With the new Metabones Firmware, the Canon 85mm f1,8 now works!!

Very cool.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BT4
    Awesome! Has anyone tested it?
    Any improvement on the canon 50mm 1.4 usm?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Awesome! Has anyone tested it?
    Any improvement on the canon 50mm 1.4 usm?
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I´d like to ask about Canon 200/2 L how the AF works in AF-S and AF-C with latest Metabones FW. If is it usable for tracking moving kids? I have Nikon version 200/2 but would like to switch to Canon version. Someone wrote here that the lens works pretty well. Brian Smith on his older test wrote that AF-S misfocuses with several adapters incl. Metabones but I think he didn´t test it on A7rII. Thanks.
    Leica S2 | S-35,70,120,180 | Hasselblad HC 100/2.2 | Pentax 67 M* 300/4 + 1.4 TC| Mamiya C 55/2.8 N, 80/2.8 N, A 120/4, 150/2.8 D | Sony A7r II + various lenses
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marek.dvorsky.9

Post Thanks / Like

Tested the Canon Macro Ef 100mm F 2.8 USM in low and moderate light and even though it's slow it eventually hits the focus. I get WAAAY better results with the LAEA4 and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro.

Post Thanks / Like

So here are my findings so far (nothing unheard of :-)

1. My latest purchase: Canon 70-200mm F4 IS. Focuses quite fast at all apertures and focal lengths in bright to medium light. When light goes down it will hesitate when getting close to 200mm. Optically the Canon is very good when the focus is nailed.

2. Canon EF100mm F2: So far it never stopped to focus, even in low light, but it can get very slowish at low light. However this is a very very nice lens for portraits, it has a "smooth classic look", the bokeh is very soft and nice. Surprisingly, it renders detail like eye lashes very sharp, even at F2. The A7r II focusses more precisely than my Canon DSRL.

I hope Zeiss or Sony will bring 1-2 more nice portraits lenses. I find the Batis 85 too expensive for what it is... Not very fast, bokeh quite good but now breathtaking, some problems with QC. Having eye focus is nice, but untill something more convincing (for the money) comes, I stay with my Canon.

3. Tamron 28-75mm: Focus same as the 100F2 above: Quite good in good light, goes down in bad light. On the A7rII one has to stop down to F6-7 to get really sharp pictures corner to corner, but then it is really sharp. At 75mm slightly less than at shorter focal lenths, but still good @ 42MP.

Not some magic kind of rendering, obviously, but for a lens that costs less than 200 used (which is like I bought it) it is a good deal. One of these days, I will test maybe a Canon 24-70mm 2,8, but the lack of AF options makes this less attractive. Hopefully Zony will bring soth here as well...

That's it, don't have more lenses than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alba63 View Post
    So here are my findings so far (nothing unheard of :-)

1. My latest purchase: Canon 70-200mm F4 IS. Focuses quite fast at all apertures and focal lengths in bright to medium light. When light goes down it will hesitate when getting close to 200mm. Optically the Canon is very good when the focus is nailed.

2. Canon EF100mm F2: So far it never stopped to focus, even in low light, but it can get very slowish at low light. However this is a very very nice lens for portraits, it has a "smooth classic look", the bokeh is very soft and nice. Surprisingly, it renders detail like eye lashes very sharp, even at F2. The A7r II focusses more precisely than my Canon DSRL.

I hope Zeiss or Sony will bring 1-2 more nice portraits lenses. I find the Batis 85 too expensive for what it is... Not very fast, bokeh quite good but now breathtaking, some problems with QC. Having eye focus is nice, but untill something more convincing (for the money) comes, I stay with my Canon.

3. Tamron 28-75mm: Focus same as the 100F2 above: Quite good in good light, goes down in bad light. On the A7rII one has to stop down to F6-7 to get really sharp pictures corner to corner, but then it is really sharp. At 75mm slightly less than at shorter focal lenths, but still good @ 42MP.

Not some magic kind of rendering, obviously, but for a lens that costs less than 200 used (which is like I bought it) it is a good deal. One of these days, I will test maybe a Canon 24-70mm 2,8, but the lack of AF options makes this less attractive. Hopefully Zony will bring soth here as well...

That's it, don't have more lenses than that.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Which Tamron lens do you have exactly ? I own the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 SP Di in Canon mount and last time I tried, I wasn't able to focus it on the Metabones Smart adapter. May be that I should try again now that I have a Metabones v IV and an A7r2. But when I tried to switch to AF, I got an error telling it was invalid with this lens. Also the lens isn't listed among the compatible lenses by Metabones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Which Tamron lens do you have exactly ? I own the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 SP Di in Canon mount and last time I tried, I wasn't able to focus it on the Metabones Smart adapter. May be that I should try again now that I have a Metabones v IV and an A7r2. But when I tried to switch to AF, I got an error telling it ws not valid with this lens. Also the lens isn't listed among the compatible lenses by Metabones.
    Yes, f2,8 SP Di, I think there is only one version. For the price it is very good, it was very sharp, with soft bokeh on my old 5d II, but on the a7rII it comes to it's limits, or already beyond. unfortunately the new 24-70 lenses are all huge and heavy, this 28-75 feels already heavy, but it is only 500g, the newer ones are 800g and bigger, also the newer Tamron 24-70 mm. As you say, the 28-75 is not officially supported by Metabones, but just like the also unsupported 100mm F2 it works ok or even well in good light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, f2,8 SP Di, I think there is only one version. For the price it is very good, it was very sharp, with soft bokeh on my old 5d II, but on the a7rII it comes to it's limits, or already beyond. unfortunately the new 24-70 lenses are all huge and heavy, this 28-75 feels already heavy, but it is only 500g, the newer ones are 800g and bigger, also the newer Tamron 24-70 mm. As you say, the 28-75 is not officially supported by Metabones, but just like the also unsupported 100mm F2 it works ok or even well in good light.
    Oh ! Thank you. Good news. I always liked it on my first Canon DSLR (the D60 which was issued in 2002 and featured an APSC sensor). It was tack sharp and extremely light and compact for a fast F2.8 zoom. I used less with the Canon 5D because the 24-105mm could replace two lenses for me (the heavy and cumbersome 16-35mm F2.8 and that Tamron). I agree with everything you say about that Tamron 28-75mm. I was interested when Tamron issued the stabilized 24-70mm, but read that while being bigger and heavier it wasn't as sharp as that first 28-75mm F2.8 : I think it remained a lonely gem. But yes with high resolution that lens is reaching to its limit unless you stop it down.

Can you tell me which AF settings you are using for AF . There are so many possibilities ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Can you tell me which AF settings you are using for AF . There are so many possibilities ?
    Only saw your posting now.

With adapted lenses, there are not that many possibilities: Only "wide" (camera selects Focus point, not that useful, because it cannot know what you want to have in focus!), and flexible Spot S, M and L. Plus face detection (unfortunately: NO eye- AF) All the other options only work with native lenses (FE). In a way this is a serious limitation for adapted lenses, which limits the AF to basically a EOS 5dII level. I find it specially limiting for Sony A lenses.

So in 98% of all cases I use flexible spot L, sometimes M. I try to move my focus point where I need it. This is possible via activation of focus point (central wheel button), then with the direction buttons of the wheel, or the two little wheels on the front and back (thumb wheel). With portraits, it is always a little bit luck to really get the eyes sharp. But it is doable :-)

The Tamron 28-75 looks really good so far, except wide open where it simply doesn't seem to be able to render even close to the resolution of the A7rII. Here is a link- only to a full frame Jpeg of the A7rII at f6,7:https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hpMEFmX2tnRnZB In terms of "rendering", nothing special really, but at least the lens can render a lot of fine detail here. I found the Sony 28/f2 to be less sharp. The Tamron is very useable from 28mm to about 55mm, the last 20mm are still good, just not quite as tack sharp. Given the size, weight and price of the modern 24-70mm/f2,8 zooms, I don't see that I am willing to spend that kind of money for such a lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only saw your posting now.

With adapted lenses, there are not that many possibilities: Only "wide" (camera selects Focus point, not that useful, because it cannot know what you want to have in focus!), and flexible Spot S, M and L. Plus face detection (unfortunately: NO eye- AF) All the other options only work with native lenses (FE). In a way this is a serious limitation for adapted lenses, which limits the AF to basically a EOS 5dII level. I find it specially limiting for Sony A lenses.

So in 98% of all cases I use flexible spot L, sometimes M. I try to move my focus point where I need it. This is possible via activation of focus point (central wheel button), then with the direction buttons of the wheel, or the two little wheels on the front and back (thumb wheel). With portraits, it is always a little bit luck to really get the eyes sharp. But it is doable :-)

The Tamron 28-75 looks really good so far, except wide open where it simply doesn't seem to be able to render even close to the resolution of the A7rII. Here is a link- only to a full frame Jpeg of the A7rII at f6,7:https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hpMEFmX2tnRnZB In terms of "rendering", nothing special really, but at least the lens can render a lot of fine detail here. I found the Sony 28/f2 to be less sharp. The Tamron is very useable from 28mm to about 55mm, the last 20mm are still good, just not quite as tack sharp. Given the size, weight and price of the modern 24-70mm/f2,8 zooms, I don't see that I am willing to spend that kind of money for such a lens.
    Thank you ! Flexible spot is what I'm using mist of the time anyway, so not really a limitation for what I shoot. When I hurry, I press the delete button to return the spot to the center and reframe (my wrist is faster than using two wheels or two arrows :-)
    I was rather thinking to the focus mode : auto, contrast detect or phase detect. But I got an error : invalid with this lens. I thought the lens wasn't focusing because I didn't have the right focusing mode selected.

May be that I should also pay a visit to Metabones website and look nearer at what they name advanced green mode.. I don't even remember which mode I have set, nor what that does or how you switch it in and off.

Concerning your picture : dang that is sharp and what I remember from this lens myself. I guess that I will try this zoom in the A7rm2 again. Thank you !

Post Thanks / Like

Can you let us know which metabones version did you test it with and which firmware? Brian Smith says this lens really struggles (http://briansmith.com/sony-a7rii-can...adapter-tests/)

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone try the Canon 20-35mm 2.8L?

Post Thanks / Like

Commlite Adapter + A7RII PDAF:
    - Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC: Sloow but accurate --> ok as Plan B, or if you just
    - Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC: Quite fast, but misfocussing --> no recommendation!
    - Tamron 180mm 3.5 Macro: Aperture control works, Focus is hunting back and forth without achieving focus.
    Distance scale is way off (adapter is a little to short), could cause severe problems when using lenses with floating elements

Metabones IV (0.47) + A7RII PDAF:

- Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC: Speed is fast up to 35mm, ok after that, focus is accurate
    - Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC: Speed is fast, focus is accurate, feels like on a Canon DSLR
    - Tamron 180mm 3.5 Macro: Aperture control works, Focus is hunting back and forth without achieving focus.
    Distance scale is spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried the meataones 1v which supports all functions .50 the af was still slower then the sigma with the 85 1.2 L the 100-400 version 2 So I am selling the metabones and even with less fictionality I will stick with the sigma

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is $90 less than it costs me to ship from Portland, OR. What carrier did you use? I went with the cheapest FedEx offered to ship to Hong Kong $100. Metabones also charged me $35 for return shipping.

As for future updates, the Metabones III can not have firmware updates except at the factory. No USB port.
    That's odd as I have a metabones mkIII (on the box it says EF-E-BM1) and it has a small plastic cover over what I assume is a USB port that looks a bit like a USB-C ?
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    That's odd as I have a metabones mkIII (on the box it says EF-E-BM1) and it has a small plastic cover over what I assume is a USB port that looks a bit like a USB-C ?
    I just checked mine and it does also have the micro USB allowing an update. On the box it is written Canon EF to Emount Mark III. Model No : MB_EF-E-BM3. I checked the firmware of the adapter on the camera and it is version 30. For my second adapter mark IV it is version 47.

I don't remember whether I updated the mark III adapter or not. I thought I had, but now after reading what is said on the Metabones website, I'm not sure. Also a version 30 or 3.0 seems to indicate that the firmware wasn't updated.. but who know. I won't try to fix something that works.

What I'm sure is that the mark III adapter works both on the A7r and on the A7rII, although AF is clearly slower (using contrast detect only). I don't care much about AF, since I'm mainly using TSE, aka MF lenses with that adapter. But I can change the aperture on the body with both adapter on both cameras.

My guess, if the aperture can't be changed is that it has something to do with the contacts. It can be tricky at times, so make sure that both the lens and the adapter clicks correctly when you mount it. Usually I put the lens on the adapter first and then the whole combo on the body. I think that Metabones advised to proceed in that order.

Hope that you'll be able to sort things out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, the adapter is with me but the camera and lenses are in the studio, when i’m back there i’m going to try again on the a7r and a7rII once i has cleaned the contacts and using a new battery. i’m guessing i will have to get another adapter anyway even if i send the mkIII to metabones.
    AF i’m not too worried about as rarely do handheld photography with this camera but if it works as good as people say i may use it for the odd bit of travel with my canon 24-70 2.8II
    just have to decide on Metabones, Sigma or techart.
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if pdaf works on either the sigma 24-70mm 2.8 macro or the tamron 28-75mm 2.8 macro? (I' m not talking about the latest versions with is on the lens).