The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII with Canon AF database reference.

Jaclarkaus

People with 100-400 II might try this:

I have a 100-400 I:
With Metabones 3 did not work at all. Seemed a communications error
With Metabones 4 and .41firmware worked fine at shorter focal lengths (<300?) but could not lock on at 400 as reported by others in this thread. THEN I moved the distance switch to 6.5m-infinity and it worked fine. Cannot select MF from camera (only AFS or AFC) but can from lens as well. IS and everything worked fine.
Like this

Attachments

Bluebird

Just put my penny's worth in here : Metabones IV flocked

14mmL II - wonderful
16-35mm II - AF fine all focal lengths
17mm TS-E - fine
24mm TS-E II - fine
35mm F2 IS - wonderful
50mm 1.2 - faster and more accuarate AF than my 5DIII
85mm 1.2 Mk 1 : faster and more accurate than the 5DIII
70-200 F4 non-IS : fine all focal lengths
70-200 F4 IS : fine all focal lengths

Just a comment for those that do not realise just how good the focus can be. Both my F1.2 lenses struggled on the 5DIII to get a high keeper rate at F1.2. The Sony manages 80-90% - just struggles with some surfaces. When this happens, I just press manual focus button and let the edge-detect light-up when I get good focus. Works amazingly well.

kimbrunstudio

A7rII. Metabones III, recently returned from China where it got the latest firmware update.

Canon 17-40 f4L Fast/Accurate similar to 5DMIII

Canon 24-70 f2.8L II Fast/Accurate similar to 5DMIII

Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Hunts and misses just like the 5DMIII

Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II Fast/Accurate similar to 5DMIII

Sigma 50 f1.4 ART Fast/Accurate for 3 exposures then locks up or the AF function goes into a holding pattern. This last for a few up to many seconds. Nothing seems to relieve it. Turning off and on sometimes but not every time. Sometimes, shooting with the EVF for a few then switching to Monitor cause AF to stop working. Can take many seconds to unlock. Sometimes the EVF and Montior will go black and nothing works. This only happens with this lens.

FYI, the Metabones "Free" firmware upgrade isn't. They ask for $35 for return shipping but you also pay for the "to them" shipping. This is around $100. When I asked the FedEx clerk why it cost $100 to ship it to them and $35 to return it, he said Chinese Customs and Duties. Now this is for an RMA basically. So the "Free" upgrade will run you about $135 out-of-pocket.

dougorama

Re: A7rII with Canon AF database reference. Old on New

I don't think I've posted here before, but here goes:
So far:
Canon 70-200 f4 IS very good (4/5 we'll say) with AFC I can do BIF
Canon 500 4.5 (the old one non-IS) very good with AFC BIF possible
Canon 400 2.8 IS (first IS version) DOES NOT WORK any way I try, no go with AFS either but manually focuses
Canon 200 1.8 Manually focuses (remember it's focus by wire)

The bike (70-200) looks weirdly sharpened here, but the bird (500 4.5) is reasonably accurate
More later

Attachments

David Panno

? regarding the lenses that are not compatible:

Do the lenses that "do not work" ....

Work in MF mode or are they completely unusable?

Are there other limitations? Not able to change aperture or send focal length/aperture info?

Just curious what "doesn't work" means in this context.

Thanks

dougorama

Re: ? regarding the lenses that are not compatible:

Just curious what "doesn't work" means in this context.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi I wasn't clear enough... The thread is about autofocus, so that's what I'm commenting on. Neither the 400mm IS nor the 200mm 1.8 autofocus in either AFS or AFC. A surprise when the old 500mm 4.5 did so well. (Metabones IV). They do manual focus, and all the typical EXIF info is there such as lens ID, aperture, SS etc. One wonders what magic part is missing in lenses that don't communicate with the A7rII body yet do so with Canon bodies. Both those lenses above are fast and accurate with 1D{1-x} bodies.

itsskin

Sony Art 35 and 24 do work great with Metabones IV 0.41 but for like 50-100 frames in continuous shooting mode. After that they "loose" AF and it's really hard to make them work again. Detaching adapter, lens, pulling the battery does not help.

17-40 on the other hand is flawless. Works all the time.

kimbrunstudio

Recently the camera locks up on MF as well. I can get 3-8 exposures before the EVF and LCD go black and the camera will not respond to anything. When I turn it Off a few seconds pass when the last image captured displays on the LCD. This is when the camera is OFF. When is OFF not OFF? Now I am concerned there may be an electronic communication issue that can harm the camera. Anyone else having this issue?

A7rII. Metabones III, recently returned from China where it got the latest firmware update.

Canon 17-40 f4L Fast/Accurate similar to 5DMIII

Canon 24-70 f2.8L II Fast/Accurate similar to 5DMIII

Canon 100mm f2.8L IS Hunts and misses just like the 5DMIII

Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II Fast/Accurate similar to 5DMIII

Sigma 50 f1.4 ART Fast/Accurate for 3 exposures then locks up or the AF function goes into a holding pattern. This last for a few up to many seconds. Nothing seems to relieve it. Turning off and on sometimes but not every time. Sometimes, shooting with the EVF for a few then switching to Monitor cause AF to stop working. Can take many seconds to unlock. Sometimes the EVF and Montior will go black and nothing works. This only happens with this lens.

Recently the camera locks up on MF as well. I can get 3-8 exposures before the EVF and LCD go black and the camera will not respond to anything. When I turn it Off a few seconds pass when the last image captured displays on the LCD. This is when the camera is OFF. When is OFF not OFF? Now I am concerned there may be an electronic communication issue that can harm the camera. Anyone else having this issue?

FYI, the Metabones "Free" firmware upgrade isn't. They ask for $35 for return shipping but you also pay for the "to them" shipping. This is around $100. When I asked the FedEx clerk why it cost $100 to ship it to them and $35 to return it, he said Chinese Customs and Duties. Now this is for an RMA basically. So the "Free" upgrade will run you about $135 out-of-pocket.

TKSpaulding

Canon 200mm f2.8 II USM and 40mm f2.8 working great with Techart EOS-iNEXII adapter with version 3 firmware.
One caveat, I had to use my A7r to upgrade the firmware. My A7rII wouldn't recognize the adapter until it was updated.
I was able to use AF-C and Wide to track moving objects. I don't own a Canon Camera to compare native focus speed, but it seems fast and accurate to me.

-Tom

kimbrunstudio

Discovered a potential solution to the Sigma 50 ART problems I have been having. Power. Put a fresh 100% fully charged battery in the A7rII and proceeded to shoot AF and MF with the Sigma 50 ART. No lock ups. No hesitations. No problems through a series of 20-30 images. This is a first. I am now leaning towards the idea of never letting the battery drop below 75% charge when working with this combination. Have to give it try this weekend.

Pradeep

Late to the party :chug:

My two bits so far, in order of compatibility:

1. !00-400L Mark II - no issues but slow focus above 300. Between 100 and 200 it is very quick. Phase works better than Contrast. I did not notice a difference between 'full' range and 3m-infinity. However, the A7RII will not be replacing my Canon bodies on this one.

2. 70-200 F4 IS - Strange problem the lens will sometimes lock up and turning the camera off and on makes no difference, there is no image. Have to remove the battery to undo it. Focus works fine, throughout the range, quick enough for regular use.

3. 24-70 f2.8 - Works great, no problems

4. 16-35 f4 - Works great, even at 3 ft away. Would be useful if I just had to take one wide angle lens with me for both Canon and Sony systems.

5. 400 DO MkII - just got it today. Much surprised to see it works almost flawlessly! Will try to do some action shots with birds in the area this weekend. Awesome lens to begin with and works well with the Sony

Sorry, forgot to mention, using Metabones MkIV adapter.

kimbrunstudio

Discovered a potential solution to the Sigma 50 ART problems I have been having. Power. Put a fresh 100% fully charged battery in the A7rII and proceeded to shoot AF and MF with the Sigma 50 ART. No lock ups. No hesitations. No problems through a series of 20-30 images. This is a first. I am now leaning towards the idea of never letting the battery drop below 75% charge when working with this combination. Have to give it try this weekend.
Tested the A7rII/Metabones III and Metabones IV/Sigma 50 ART lens and have concluded that there is an issue with this combination. Battery level did not turn out to be an issue as the cameras, yes I tested two bodies, all locked up no matter what percentage of a charge. The problem is so intermittent that I could get a run of 15 or so shots before the LCD and EVF would go black and lock up the entire camera for up to a minute. Or I could shot two shots and have a lock up. This happened on both cameras and with both adapters. So I have no solution. As I haven't seen anyone else use this combination, I guess I am lucky enough to be the only one. Oh what fun.

Pradeep

Tested the A7rII/Metabones III and Metabones IV/Sigma 50 ART lens and have concluded that there is an issue with this combination. Battery level did not turn out to be an issue as the cameras, yes I tested two bodies, all locked up no matter what percentage of a charge. The problem is so intermittent that I could get a run of 15 or so shots before the LCD and EVF would go black and lock up the entire camera for up to a minute. Or I could shot two shots and have a lock up. This happened on both cameras and with both adapters. So I have no solution. As I haven't seen anyone else use this combination, I guess I am lucky enough to be the only one. Oh what fun.
For me the same thing was happening with the Canon 70-200 f4, the camera would lock up if I changed the settings from Phase to Contrast or vice versa. There was no picture and none of the controls worked. The lens motor kept running without my doing anything. Turning the camera off didn't turn the lens off. Had to take the battery out to reset it.

So far it seems that the wide angle primes and zooms are working very well. Given that they would be the choice for landscapes - slow, deliberate focusing, it means that one does not have to take two sets of wides into the field. However, to me, the new Batis lenses are much better than the Canon lot, which means back to square one.

engel001

Loaded new Metabones firmware V0.43 and my Canon 135mm L works!! Great job, Metabones!

Also verified: Autofocus works on Conurus converted Contax N 24-85mm, 85mm/1.4, and 100mm macro.

Last edited:

dmward

With new firmware auto focus works on:
24mm F1.4L V 1 OK
35mm F1.4L OK
50mm F1.4 OK
55mm Macro OK
200mm F2.8 L II OK
300mm F4.0 L IS OK
Also works with Sigma 1.4 TC and 300mm.
150mm Sigma Macro OK

None of them are snappy but all will focus. The lenses tend to go to the focus extreme then ratchet to the focus point.

I was testing in relatively dim light. Will be interesting to see if its better outside.

spence

Looks like metabones .43 firmware allows the 400 f5.6 to focus as well--user in thread here reports .41 failed, .43 successful; no other detail.

Hurrah for .43?