The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII with Canon AF database reference.

alba63

Can you tell me which AF settings you are using for AF . There are so many possibilities ?
Only saw your posting now.

With adapted lenses, there are not that many possibilities: Only "wide" (camera selects Focus point, not that useful, because it cannot know what you want to have in focus!), and flexible Spot S, M and L. Plus face detection (unfortunately: NO eye- AF) All the other options only work with native lenses (FE). In a way this is a serious limitation for adapted lenses, which limits the AF to basically a EOS 5dII level. I find it specially limiting for Sony A lenses.

So in 98% of all cases I use flexible spot L, sometimes M. I try to move my focus point where I need it. This is possible via activation of focus point (central wheel button), then with the direction buttons of the wheel, or the two little wheels on the front and back (thumb wheel). With portraits, it is always a little bit luck to really get the eyes sharp. But it is doable :)

The Tamron 28-75 looks really good so far, except wide open where it simply doesn't seem to be able to render even close to the resolution of the A7rII. Here is a link- only to a full frame Jpeg of the A7rII at f6,7:https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YmtXVlB2eFRySWhIZ2t5TzRZMjhpMEFmX2tnRnZB In terms of "rendering", nothing special really, but at least the lens can render a lot of fine detail here. I found the Sony 28/f2 to be less sharp. The Tamron is very useable from 28mm to about 55mm, the last 20mm are still good, just not quite as tack sharp. Given the size, weight and price of the modern 24-70mm/f2,8 zooms, I don't see that I am willing to spend that kind of money for such a lens.

Annna T

Only saw your posting now.

With adapted lenses, there are not that many possibilities: Only "wide" (camera selects Focus point, not that useful, because it cannot know what you want to have in focus!), and flexible Spot S, M and L. Plus face detection (unfortunately: NO eye- AF) All the other options only work with native lenses (FE). In a way this is a serious limitation for adapted lenses, which limits the AF to basically a EOS 5dII level. I find it specially limiting for Sony A lenses.

So in 98% of all cases I use flexible spot L, sometimes M. I try to move my focus point where I need it. This is possible via activation of focus point (central wheel button), then with the direction buttons of the wheel, or the two little wheels on the front and back (thumb wheel). With portraits, it is always a little bit luck to really get the eyes sharp. But it is doable :)

The Tamron 28-75 looks really good so far, except wide open where it simply doesn't seem to be able to render even close to the resolution of the A7rII. Here is a link- only to a full frame Jpeg of the A7rII at f6,7:https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YmtXVlB2eFRySWhIZ2t5TzRZMjhpMEFmX2tnRnZB In terms of "rendering", nothing special really, but at least the lens can render a lot of fine detail here. I found the Sony 28/f2 to be less sharp. The Tamron is very useable from 28mm to about 55mm, the last 20mm are still good, just not quite as tack sharp. Given the size, weight and price of the modern 24-70mm/f2,8 zooms, I don't see that I am willing to spend that kind of money for such a lens.
Thank you ! Flexible spot is what I'm using mist of the time anyway, so not really a limitation for what I shoot. When I hurry, I press the delete button to return the spot to the center and reframe (my wrist is faster than using two wheels or two arrows :)
I was rather thinking to the focus mode : auto, contrast detect or phase detect. But I got an error : invalid with this lens. I thought the lens wasn't focusing because I didn't have the right focusing mode selected.

May be that I should also pay a visit to Metabones website and look nearer at what they name advanced green mode.. I don't even remember which mode I have set, nor what that does or how you switch it in and off.

Concerning your picture : dang that is sharp and what I remember from this lens myself. I guess that I will try this zoom in the A7rm2 again. Thank you !

Rawfa

2. Canon EF100mm F2: So far it never stopped to focus, even in low light, but it can get very slowish at low light. However this is a very very nice lens for portraits, it has a "smooth classic look", the bokeh is very soft and nice. Surprisingly, it renders detail like eye lashes very sharp, even at F2. The A7r II focusses more precisely than my Canon DSRL.
Can you let us know which metabones version did you test it with and which firmware? Brian Smith says this lens really struggles (http://briansmith.com/sony-a7rii-canon-ef-smart-adapter-tests/)

ICHBINSpunktDE

Commlite Adapter + A7RII PDAF:
- Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC: Sloow but accurate --> ok as Plan B, or if you just
- Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC: Quite fast, but misfocussing --> no recommendation!
- Tamron 180mm 3.5 Macro: Aperture control works, Focus is hunting back and forth without achieving focus.
Distance scale is way off (adapter is a little to short), could cause severe problems when using lenses with floating elements

Metabones IV (0.47) + A7RII PDAF:

- Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC: Speed is fast up to 35mm, ok after that, focus is accurate
- Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC: Speed is fast, focus is accurate, feels like on a Canon DSLR
- Tamron 180mm 3.5 Macro: Aperture control works, Focus is hunting back and forth without achieving focus.
Distance scale is spot on.

dseelig

Just tried the meataones 1v which supports all functions .50 the af was still slower then the sigma with the 85 1.2 L the 100-400 version 2 So I am selling the metabones and even with less fictionality I will stick with the sigma

MrSmith

Re: Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

Wow, that is $90 less than it costs me to ship from Portland, OR. What carrier did you use? I went with the cheapest FedEx offered to ship to Hong Kong $100. Metabones also charged me $35 for return shipping.

As for future updates, the Metabones III can not have firmware updates except at the factory. No USB port.
That's odd as I have a metabones mkIII (on the box it says EF-E-BM1) and it has a small plastic cover over what I assume is a USB port that looks a bit like a USB-C ?

Annna T

Re: Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

That's odd as I have a metabones mkIII (on the box it says EF-E-BM1) and it has a small plastic cover over what I assume is a USB port that looks a bit like a USB-C ?
I just checked mine and it does also have the micro USB allowing an update. On the box it is written Canon EF to Emount Mark III. Model No : MB_EF-E-BM3. I checked the firmware of the adapter on the camera and it is version 30. For my second adapter mark IV it is version 47.

I don't remember whether I updated the mark III adapter or not. I thought I had, but now after reading what is said on the Metabones website, I'm not sure. Also a version 30 or 3.0 seems to indicate that the firmware wasn't updated.. but who know. I won't try to fix something that works.

What I'm sure is that the mark III adapter works both on the A7r and on the A7rII, although AF is clearly slower (using contrast detect only). I don't care much about AF, since I'm mainly using TSE, aka MF lenses with that adapter. But I can change the aperture on the body with both adapter on both cameras.

My guess, if the aperture can't be changed is that it has something to do with the contacts. It can be tricky at times, so make sure that both the lens and the adapter clicks correctly when you mount it. Usually I put the lens on the adapter first and then the whole combo on the body. I think that Metabones advised to proceed in that order.

Hope that you'll be able to sort things out.

MrSmith

Thanks for the info, the adapter is with me but the camera and lenses are in the studio, when i’m back there i’m going to try again on the a7r and a7rII once i has cleaned the contacts and using a new battery. i’m guessing i will have to get another adapter anyway even if i send the mkIII to metabones.
AF i’m not too worried about as rarely do handheld photography with this camera but if it works as good as people say i may use it for the odd bit of travel with my canon 24-70 2.8II
just have to decide on Metabones, Sigma or techart.

Rawfa

Does anyone know if pdaf works on either the sigma 24-70mm 2.8 macro or the tamron 28-75mm 2.8 macro? (I' m not talking about the latest versions with is on the lens).

dpal

Help needed!
I just received my Exakta mount Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Orestor 2.8/100 lens. The Exakta to EOS EF adapter arrived at the same time, so I tried to adapt that to my Sony 7Rii with the EOS to NEX adapter I had laying around. It was very tight on the lens side and won't focus to infinity. So I tried to remove the thin Exakta to EOS adapter, it won't dismount. Did anyone here experience the same problem? Any helpful suggestions much appreciated.:banghead: