The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII with Canon AF database reference.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I want to start a reference thread with Canon AF lens that are compatible with the A7RII

Please list lens and adapter plus AF speed

rdcny

just saw a short video in which someone tested their Canon 70-200 F2.8 - worked fine. However, he stated that any Canon AF lens manufactured from 2006 to the present will AF fine on the new Sony A7Rii - using the Metabones IV adapter.

Pre-2006 AF lenses will not AF...

No third party lenses (for example the new Tamron 24-70 F2.9 released 2013 or so) will AF on the new Sony camera.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I'm worried about my Sigma 24-70 A mount with the LAE3 will know today if it works or not. I'll post that on the Sony A mount thread

gDallasK

Works :

35L

50L

85L II

24-105L

70-300 DO

Doesn't work :

135L 2.0

200L 2.8

My subjective view is that - with one exception - those that worked at all performed better on the A7R2 with Metabones 4 than they did on my 5D2

I was quite surprised that the DO lens focuses but performance is rather erratic. Sometimes fast and sometimes annoyingly slow. I have not yet worked out a reason for this.

It is a shame about the 135L and 200L -b oth of which I like a lot. They just hunt for focus, never achieving it. However, both of mine are 6-8 years old and perhaps more recent copies will fare better.

In the meantime I have my Leica 135 f2.8 and 180 f5 R which give really good results on the A7R2. Though they are both manual lenses, focus is quick and easy. They can be found quite cheaply second hand and are both brilliant lenses.

The 5D2, 200L and 135L are now awaiting disposal on eBay! I'm not sure whether I will keep the DO.

dmward

Have those using the Metabones IV adapter updated the firmware to the latest version?

It is V.42, when I updated my adapter my 300 F4 L would work to change aperture. Before the update it did not change aperture or focus. It also would auto focus but slowly. Will test with A7RII when it arrives.

Link to page on Metabones site. Firmware Window or Mac option on right.

I just tested a Canon 20mm F2.8L II, and a 50mm F1.4. Both change aperture and focus (slowly) with both the Metabones IV and Fotodiox adapters on an A7II. Based on what has been reported with pre-release sample A7RIIs those lenses should work with much improved AF on the A7RII. Adorama confirmed mine is in the que for shipping. Should get here Friday or Monday.

Last edited:

spence

Anyone have a 400L f5.6 to test? That's sort of my dream, being able to at least single shot AF with this thing on the A7RII, with IBIS :) It's a pre-2006 design, but fingers crossed.

engel001

Canon lenses with Metabones IV latest June 2015 V0.41 firmware:

Work:

24-105/4L
24-70/2.8L II
85/1.2L II
16-35/4L
70-200/2.8L II

Do not work
(engages AF but hunts and never finds focus):

50mm/1.8 II
50mm/2.5 macro
100mm/2.8 macro USM (previous version, not new L version)
135/2L
Conurus converted Zeiss Contax N lenses (24-85, 85, 100 macro)

Sigma Art:

Turn off APS-C/Super35mm in #6 of the second menu set, otherwise file size will be AUTOMATICALLY limited to 18MP!
35mm ART and 50mm ART both work.

I am really sad about the 135mm/2L not working.

jamato8

Well I maybe should have held my words about accepting something that is just different and adapting.

Works so far:
35L
24-70II ok

Doesn't
100L new very, not very well
100-400 II horrible and I use this lens a lot

More to come but so far, I may eat my words of positive input. I find that the camera is hunting like crazy and the target has to be choice for it to lock on.

spence

Thanks all. For those with the 24-70 2.8 II, how does AF compare, in speed and accuracy, to using it on a native mount Canon body?

Incredibly useful zoom range, of course, and with Sony's 24-70 falling well short of world class--good AF performance would make the Canon a killer option for the A7RII.

Guy Mancuso

Well I maybe should have held my words about accepting something that is just different and adapting.

Works so far:
35L
24-70II ok

Doesn't

More to come but so far, I may eat my words of positive input. I find that the camera is hunting like crazy and the target has to be choice for it to lock on.

Yea this going to be be painful for some Canon shooters. Im feeling the pain on a Mid zoom and a 135/200 option too. Honestly though the reason is as well I want every last AF point i can get my hands on. If I did did have that desire i would be just fine and I am. I am so thrilled at what I have today the VC 15, Batis 25, 35 1.4 and Batis 85. There is not a dog in there.

You know from what I have read the Sony 70-300 is supposed to be really good.

Im personally trying to stay Sony but I can go Canon if you twist my arm really hard

dmward

Works so far:
35L
24-70II ok

Doesn't

Which adapter and if Metabones, which version and firmware?

jamato8

Which adapter and if Metabones, which version and firmware?
Metabones IV, with the .41 FW. Not doing well on the 11-24L either. Not good on the 100-400II and not living up to what Sony put out there as a camera that would work with many different lenses since they have even packaged the adapter for EOS lenses in Austria in the past.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yea this going to be be painful for some Canon shooters.
Actually, Guy, it's convincing me to just grab a reduced price 1DX for the Canon glass and keep the MF stuff on the Sony. Imagine, a camera that AFs with ALL Canon glass! And what AF!

Glad you're having a blast with the new camera :cool:

--Matt

jamato8

I'm curious about the 100-400mm Version II. I used the Version I with the Metabones III and a7R successfully. Some AF hunting, but IS and the other functions worked. Does the AF hunt so horribly that it's rendered useless?

Joe
It works fair with the range up to around 300 but hunts some then at 400 forget it. If I am going to use a lens, I want to use all of it. So far not a happy camper as the videos led me to believe this was going to perform far different. Last time I put my faith in web videos like that.

Right now it is making a nice body for my Leica lenses but that isn't why I bought it. I have the M9 for that.

Aphoto

I sold a lot of my Canon stuff, but this is, what is left (AF-lenses):

Works:

15mm Fish
40mm STM
24-70L f2,8 II

Does not work:
85mm f1,8

Aphoto

That is "my" list now:

Canon EF 15mm: yes
Canon EF 20 2,8: yes