The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII with Leica M lenses

gero

So the next part, I'll only show the tip of the corner. I applied same vignette correction so you guys can see at 100% how much brighter the A7RII is. It's also easier to see the smearing here. The amount I applied is 3EV in C1. I also include the A7S.Mod result so you know what to expect in the corner.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news :(. There is no improvement whatsoever that I can see. If there is any, it would be minimal. The ZM 15 is an extreme case, nonetheless.

Thank you all for all this work. I have a good collection of M wides that I use with the old Monochome M. I am very interested in this tests for color wides and wonder what the A7S.Mod is? And if it would be possible to do the "mod" to this A7RII?

No one seems to mention the E to M adapter type they are using.There could be differences.
I used the same adapter for these tests, Hawk's Helicoid V3.5 adapter. This adapter has been tested on three different bodies, one A7R and two A7S, that showed good symmetry.

Thank you all for all this work. I have a good collection of M wides that I use with the old Monochome M. I am very interested in this tests for color wides and wonder what the A7S.Mod is? And if it would be possible to do the "mod" to this A7RII?
You're welcome :). It is the Kolari thin sensor filter mod:

http://kolarivision.com/product/sony-a7-series-thin-filter-legacy-lens-upgrade/

Ilija, the owner, has successfully modded the A7II. So the A7RII might not be too far off. He just bought the A7RII from me to see if the mod will be the same as the A7II.

Jim Kasson did several tests with the modded A7II:
http://blog.kasson.com/?p=11094

I have also done several tests showing the difference between stock A7S and modded A7S with the following lenses: ZM 15, Contax G 21, G 28, Cron 28, G 45, Lux 50 ASPH, Cron 50 APO, G 90. If you are interested in the results of any of these lenses, let me know.

gero

You're welcome :). It is the Kolari thin sensor filter mod:

Sony A7 Series Thin Filter Legacy Lens Upgrade - Kolari Vision

Ilija, the owner, has successfully modded the A7II. So the A7RII might not be too far off. He just bought the A7RII from me to see if the mod will be the same as the A7II.

Jim Kasson did several tests with the modded A7II:
Kolari thin-stack mod on a7II vs M240 — Leica WATE at 21mm | The Last Word

I have also done several tests showing the difference between stock A7S and modded A7S with the following lenses: ZM 15, Contax G 21, G 28, Cron 28, G 45, Lux 50 ASPH, Cron 50 APO, G 90. If you are interested in the results of any of these lenses, let me know.
waw, this looks very promising since the color shift with the new camera seems to be very well corrected and the thin ir filter (and no aa filer) will take care of the smearing in the corners. I will be waiting for the results. Thank you again for this info. :rolleyes:

jamato8

This was shot in horrible conditions last evening. Very overcast, a slight rain and the sun had gone down. ISO 1250, 15th of a second, 35mm Leica ASPH, around F4, hand held, the bottom cropped a little but no other cropping. It works for me. I thought the 35 ASPH would not work at all but for my type of work this will be fine, most of the time. I updated my LR and this was converted with LR since I am very used to working with it.

vjbelle

Certainly is encouraging..... Could you please take an image on a tripod at f5.6 of anything that has depth and would show the sides of the file? If the 35 Cron could work it would maybe move me off the fence. My Zeiss 35 F2 has always worked well.... it would just be nice to see the 35 Cron tackle this hurdle. It was unusable on the A7r.

Victor

Bob Parsons

Jamato8, did you look carefully at the top left and right hand corners of the image you posted, was the lens stopped right down? I'm afraid my 35mm Summicron ASPH gives poor corner performance on the A7R2 when used for landscapes or close up work. I realise that visual interpretation of lens performance is very subjective, maybe I'm too critical.

Bob.

This was shot in horrible conditions last evening. Very overcast, a slight rain and the sun had gone down. ISO 1250, 15th of a second, 35mm Leica ASPH, around F4, hand held, the bottom cropped a little but no other cropping. It works for me. I thought the 35 ASPH would not work at all but for my type of work this will be fine, most of the time. I updated my LR and this was converted with LR since I am very used to working with it.
I assume at f/4, the mountain in the background would be out of focus. This scene has quite a tremendous amount of depth that I doubt even my 15 can cover the whole thing at f/4. The bottom rock seems to be in focus, and that puzzles me a lot if the the top right and left corners would be in focus as well.

jamato8

I assume at f/4, the mountain in the background would be out of focus. This scene has quite a tremendous amount of depth that I doubt even my 15 can cover the whole thing at f/4. The bottom rock seems to be in focus, and that puzzles me a lot if the the top right and left corners would be in focus as well.
I would agree. Seems like too much depth of field. Well I shot at 1/13th of a second, it was darker than what it looks here as there was heavy cloud cover and the sun had just gone down and I had an ISO of 1250. I know that when I shot it I was aware that I wouldn't have much depth of field and for this type of image, more is better than less but this is what I have. I will have to experiment some more. I was out today playing with the 25mm Biogon 2.8 and I am getting better results than I thought I would get as I have read it didn't do well with the previous 7. The 135 Tele-Elmar also looks excellent wide open.

On the image I posted here, the trees in the background are clearly out of focus but the mountain looks decent and it is obviously much further away. Maybe I have a magic 35mm ASPH Summicron. :^)

k-hawinkler

Rayqual/Kindai for non-helicoid adapter. For helicoid one, I would go with Hawk's solely for its ability to lock infinity point
The Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter for VM-Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera also has the ability to lock infinity point.

uhoh7

I would agree. Seems like too much depth of field. Well I shot at 1/13th of a second, it was darker than what it looks here as there was heavy cloud cover and the sun had just gone down and I had an ISO of 1250. I know that when I shot it I was aware that I wouldn't have much depth of field and for this type of image, more is better than less but this is what I have. I will have to experiment some more. I was out today playing with the 25mm Biogon 2.8 and I am getting better results than I thought I would get as I have read it didn't do well with the previous 7. The 135 Tele-Elmar also looks excellent wide open.

On the image I posted here, the trees in the background are clearly out of focus but the mountain looks decent and it is obviously much further away. Maybe I have a magic 35mm ASPH Summicron. :^)
First, nice shot :)

Second, such a shot is highly misleading if used to measure the sensor issues which the Sonys have.

To really see:

Infinity landscape with details at equal distance foreground, edges and center. The more distant the details the easier it is to tell. Shoot the same frame WO f/4 5.6 and f8.

There has been much confusion from the beginning because, of course, it's still possible to take very nice photos with the problem.

Cyberratchet

Has anyone tried the Voigtländer Ultron 21mm f1.8 yet? I like pictures taken with it on the A7R, but there’s a bit of vignetting going on. The A7R II seems to be better in regards to the vignetting (at least that’s what I’ve read in a few instances).

Has anyone tried the Voigtländer Ultron 21mm f1.8 yet? I like pictures taken with it on the A7R, but there’s a bit of vignetting going on. The A7R II seems to be better in regards to the vignetting (at least that’s what I’ve read in a few instances).
Then expect better with respect to vignetting. You are comparing the worst of the first gen. (in term of vignetting and color cast) to the current best of the second gen.. On a digital platform, overall vignetting is a function of lens vignetting and camera induced vignetting. The A7RII reduces the second factor as much as possible.