The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII with Leica M lenses

thrice

I'm very interested in your experience with the 75AA... I remember that lens being a cracker on the M9 but not sure how it holds up to 42MP.

So, is anyone else using the Techart AF M Adapter?

Got one recently and I've done a few no-brainer "tourist test" days with it on a Sony A7R-II using a M21/1.4 ASPH, M35/1.4 ASPH (pre FLE version), and a M75/2 AA.

So far I'm impressed.

Very interested in other people's experiences ... good or bad. Specifics would be helpful. Pics would be a bonus.

V

Vivek

I used mine (now sold) on my A7R and it was still brilliant. I am sure it would do well on the A7R II as well.

kenneth

waiting for someone to come back with some real world thoughts... I have the 35 summicron *latest version* and I've missed a fare share of focus but the a7rII is new to me. Its going to take me some time.
I have recently purchased an a7R ll primarily to use it in conjunction with my M6 and Leica M optics. When I spoke to my dealer, as I needed to trade in 1 M6 body and 1 lens in order to fund my purchase he advised me to trade in my 35mm Summicron asph 6 bit as he said the rear optics of this particular lens do not correctly aline with the a7R ll and suggested I buy the Zeiss Sonnar 35mm 2.8 to use with my new camera. He supplied me with a Novaflex Sony/ Leica M adaptor and I can report that my 21mm/ 50mm and 75mm lenses work just fine

k-hawinkler

I have recently purchased an a7R ll primarily to use it in conjunction with my M6 and Leica M optics. When I spoke to my dealer, as I needed to trade in 1 M6 body and 1 lens in order to fund my purchase he advised me to trade in my 35mm Summicron asph 6 bit as he said the rear optics of this particular lens do not correctly aline with the a7R ll and suggested I buy the Zeiss Sonnar 35mm 2.8 to use with my new camera. He supplied me with a Novaflex Sony/ Leica M adaptor and I can report that my 21mm/ 50mm and 75mm lenses work just fine
Thought about getting the TAP?

kenneth

waiting for someone to come back with some real world thoughts... I have the 35 summicron *latest version* and I've missed a fare share of focus but the a7rII is new to me. Its going to take me some time.
I was advised that the a7R ll distance from censor to lens back does not align with the 35mm Summicron asph. I had one, which was my main lens on my M6 system and it was suggested I trade it in and keep my 50 Summicron which I did, and that seems fine. My 24 and 75mm Voigtlander lenses also work fine with the Novaflex adaptor as well

thrice

I was advised that the a7R ll distance from censor to lens back does not align with the 35mm Summicron asph. I had one, which was my main lens on my M6 system and it was suggested I trade it in and keep my 50 Summicron which I did, and that seems fine. My 24 and 75mm Voigtlander lenses also work fine with the Novaflex adaptor as well
The issue exists with any lens that has an exit pupil quite close to the sensor (eg. 35mm Summicron) which is not designed specifically for the Sony system.

The field curvature can be corrected with a Plano-convex lens in front of your lens, and removing shims from the lens to compensate for the plano-convex lens.
Not super-easy so I can understand why your dealer suggested the 35 Sonnar.

pegelli

I mostly use my Leica M lenses with a Hawk Helicoid adapter and found some issues with the older Elamarit 90/28 (1959) and Elmar 90/4 (1956) and one of the adapters.

The Elmarit 90/2.8 on an A7 with a Hawk Helcoid adapter "Mk2" which has a throat diameter of ~36 mm you get small black corners in the frame:

Which are easily removed by a small crop:

The same happens with the Elmar 90/4.

The black corners are always there at any distance setting, they're quite vague wide open and become sharper when stopping down.

However I also have a Hawk Helicoid adapter "Mk3" which has a throat diameter of ~42 mm and then there are no dark corners and the whole frame can be used with these two lenses.

My other M-mount lenses with a shorter focal length (50, 40 and 35 mm) don't show dark corners when using a "Mk2" adapter

So it's only the longer lenses with a long empty tube behind the glass elements that give a problem when the throat becomes too narrow.

I don't know about other differences, but the main visual difference between the "Mk2" and "Mk3" Hawk helicoid adapters is that the "Mk2" does not have an infinity lock while the "Mk3" has.

V

Vivek

The main difference is the throat diameter and less vignetting/corner clipping. This is old news to many. There could be light leaks in MK2.5, 3 etc versions with the infinity lock.

The dark corners create huge issues with WB.

pegelli

The main difference is the throat diameter and less vignetting/corner clipping. This is old news to many. There could be light leaks in MK2.5, 3 etc versions with the infinity lock.

The dark corners create huge issues with WB.
Well, it's news in this thread ;)
And I tested my "Mk3" quite extensively for light leaks and haven't been able to find any, but it never hurts to test because Hawk's quality control is reported not to be always consistent (allthough I have not had any trouble)
If you shoot raw any WB issues caused by the dark corners are easily overcome, with jpg's ooc it could be more critical.

V

Vivek

This thread itself is dated with the advent of newer cameras fron Sony.

pegelli

This thread itself is dated with the advent of newer cameras fron Sony.
Yes, who would use these old clunkers these days anyway :ROTFL:

I achieved the dark corners on an even older model then what's in the title, I hope the off-topic police doesn't delete them :facesmack:

Do you think these dark corners will not show up on an A7Riii and/or A9 when a Mk2 or other adapter with a small throat is used with the old Leica 90's? :confused:

V

Vivek

Some of these adapters may not mount on the new ones. Even if they do, they may not dismount! Sony made the mounts with metal (A7s onwards)and increased the number of screws (A9 onwards).

WB (due to vignetting), IME, is a huge problem. Glad it isn’t for you! :)