The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII with Leica M lenses

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Again here we want to see what does and does not work with the new A7rII.

This is a future reference thread for Leica M lens owners

List lens, adpter and what effects you are or not getting

k-hawinkler

Has anyone reported the 21/1.4 Lux not doing well with any of the A7 series cameras?
IIRC Vivek, both Lux 21/1.4 and 24/1.4 seemed useable with A7R as reported by some folks. I don't have any personal experience with those lenses though.

uhoh7

I think the ones we really want to see are the SEM 21, 28 cron and 35 cron asph, all of which really have severe issues with previous A7 models.

The giant RF lenses and a few others had much much more subtle issues, including the CV 12/5.6

V

Vivek

The giant RF lenses and a few others had much much more subtle issues, including the CV 12/5.6
Yeah, the giants did well. :)

The 35/2.5 Summarit does well (A7/A7r/A7s) as well.

Viramati

Nothing scientific yet but WATE and CV21/1.8, Cv12/5.6 v1 CV35/1.2 seem to show no perceptible colour cast toward the edges. As of smearing I really can't say at the moment and would need to test more though from initial views I am not seeing any great difference from what I sure to get n the A7II. Harder to tell against the A7s because of the great pixel difference.

jamato8

I have a 35 Summicron ASPH, 90 Summicron and a few others I will try out today and get back with info on. Oh, also the 25 Biogon.

Yeah, the giants did well. :)

The 35/2.5 Summarit does well (A7/A7r/A7s) as well.
Mine should be here today. I was surprised that the Elmarit 28 actually performs better than the Cron 28 in term of smearing. Should have the Cron 28 results up. ZM 15 has severe smearing on stock cam as well (I guess combination of 2.8 and UWA). The 50 AA does have mild smearing on stock.

One way to detect for any improvement is to see how much you need to compensate to get that corners sharp. The worst offenders need quite a large amount.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing scientific yet but WATE and CV21/1.8, Cv12/5.6 v1 CV35/1.2 seem to show no perceptible colour cast toward the edges. As of smearing I really can't say at the moment and would need to test more though from initial views I am not seeing any great difference from what I sure to get n the A7II. Harder to tell against the A7s because of the great pixel difference.
If you scale down to 12MP and see the pattern of smearing, it should be the same regardless of more detail or not.

scho

The old Contax G 28mm Biogon still shows smeared corners on the A7RII. Screen grab comparing the Sony FE 28mm f/2 with the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon. Both at f/8, lower right corners.

The old Contax G 28mm Biogon still shows smeared corners on the A7RII. Screen grab comparing the Sony FE 28mm f/2 with the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon. Both at f/8, lower right corners.

Thank you for sharing Carl. The G 28 and G 21 are among the worst :D. I believe they have even worse ray incident angle than the ZM C-Biogon 21/4.5.

jrp

So far, I am finding that, wide open, the 15mm Voigtlander, 18mm, 21mm f/1.4, 28mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4 and 50mm APO to be at least as good with the A7R II as they are on the M240, partly because I can defeat the field curvature of some of these lenses by choosing where to put the manual focus magnification point and the built-in image stabilisation also helps.

They main thing from my pov is that such smearing as there is is in the corners and not at the edges, and I haven't seen any colour shift so far.

My A7RII arrived late. So I was able to shoot with the ZM 15 only.

The following pictures are the entire test scenes with no vignette or color cast correction. I want to show you guys how much the A7RII is better than the A7R. It's even better than the A7S IMO.

These were shot at WO.

A7R:

A7S:

A7RII:

So the next part, I'll only show the tip of the corner. I applied same vignette correction so you guys can see at 100% how much brighter the A7RII is. It's also easier to see the smearing here. The amount I applied is 3EV in C1. I also include the A7S.Mod result so you know what to expect in the corner.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news :(. There is no improvement whatsoever that I can see. If there is any, it would be minimal. The ZM 15 is an extreme case, nonetheless.

iiiNelson

My A7RII arrived late. So I was able to shoot with the ZM 15 only.

The following pictures are the entire test scenes with no vignette or color cast correction. I want to show you guys how much the A7RII is better than the A7R. It's even better than the A7S IMO.

These were shot at WO.

A7R:

A7S:

A7RII:

So the next part, I'll only show the tip of the corner. I applied same vignette correction so you guys can see at 100% how much brighter the A7RII is. It's also easier to see the smearing here. The amount I applied is 3EV in C1. I also include the A7S.Mod result so you know what to expect in the corner.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news :(. There is no improvement whatsoever that I can see. If there is any, it would be minimal. The ZM 15 is an extreme case, nonetheless.

I wouldn't even say it's bad news but rather unrealistic expectations on the part of a few. As such there are some great native choices that perform at a good to excellent level optically. My advice is to buy old SLR lenses (many aren't much larger than modern RF lenses) that are small (if that matters to you) and perform well optically or stick to some of the great native choices.

This isn't unexpected though because one could see the color shifting on the rear LCD of the A7RII a couple weeks ago.

iiiNelson

No one seems to mention the E to M adapter type they are using.There could be differences.
I agree but it's unlikely to make a significant enough difference to make a clearly unusable lens that doesn't seem to even be on the cusp of being acceptable such.

vjbelle

No one seems to mention the E to M adapter type they are using.There could be differences.
From my experience on the A7r there was no difference with wides between the two M adapters that I have (NovoFlex and Voightlander). The only difference I had was with my 90mm which showed vignetting.... the main reason for my buying a NovoFlex.

Victor