Site Sponsors

Thread: A7rII Sony A Mount. Include Sigma, Tamron, Minolta

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7rII Sony A Mount. Include Sigma, Tamron, Minolta

Now with the LAE3 adapter to get full available AF points from the body . Let's report all the glass that is or not working correctly on the new body.

Again like the rest of the threads I posted on other brands we want a reference database to go by.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7rII Sony A Mount. Include Sigma, Tamron, Minolta

How will the Sony 135 mm 1.8 A work on the A7RII
    And what adapter will be best?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    How will the Sony 135 mm 1.8 A work on the A7RII
    And what adapter will be best?
    It's screw driven so the only adapter that'll make it autofocus is the LA-E4.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I hope someone has a Tamron 150-600 to test with the A7RII and LAE3 mount.

This LINK describes the lens with an LAE4 and A7II. The RII and LAE3 would be an even more desirable combination.

Could be a great solution for long lens needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7rII with LA-EA3 and Sony 70-400 G2

First tests with the A7r2, the LA-EA3 and the 70-400 G2.

Just shooting out of a window then turning the camera indoors with this combination reveals ...

On High Frame Rate and AF-C - It will AF on the first shot then stay locked there. So there is not any continuous AF when using the High Frame Rate with this lens and adapter.

On Low Frame Rate (about 2 fps) and AF-C - It will try to AF for every shot.
    So continuous AF will try to work when using the Low Frame Rate with this lens and adapter.

By contrast, when using the A7r2 with the Sony/Zeiss 35/1.4 FE and, therefore, no adapter, it will try to AF for every frame even when using the High Frame Rate and AF-C.

These findings apply to both FF and crop modes. No difference between them.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Now with the LAE3 adapter to get full available AF points from the body...
    Meaning 399 phase-detect AF points support. Sony decided not to mention which Alpha lenses get PDAF support on a7RII. My guess, it is only those refreshed mkII SSM Alpha lenses that are going to be supported, e.g. 16-35/2.8 ZA, 24-70 ZA, 70-400 G, 300/2.8 G, etc. I'll be happy to be proved wrong and see 24/2 ZA & 50/1.4 ZA among those supported as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    Meaning 399 phase-detect AF points support. Sony decided not to mention which Alpha lenses get PDAF support on a7RII. My guess, it is only those refreshed mkII SSM Alpha lenses that are going to be supported, e.g. 16-35/2.8 ZA, 24-70 ZA, 70-400 G, 300/2.8 G, etc. I'll be happy to be proved wrong and see 24/2 ZA & 50/1.4 ZA among those supported as well.
    It's fairly simple screw drive lens s will not work with the LAA-EA 3 . You need to use the 4 adapter with these lenses. SSM lenses you can use the LA-EA3
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It's fairly simple screw drive lens s will not work with the LAA-EA 3 . You need to use the 4 adapter with these lenses. SSM lenses you can use the LA-EA3
    This is true.
    SSM mkI lenses will use contrast-detection AF points only, but I might be wrong as I haven't tested it myself. This thread is about the full AF capacity of the camera, isn't it? A list of A-mount lenses that can utilize all PDAF points via LA-EA3 adapter is going to be short, unfortunately. Looking forward to what happy a7RII owners report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well we want to hear it all. Some lenses may have some AF functions greyed out too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony should have started a compatibility feature table for Sony A-mount lenses on E-mount bodies via it's LA-EA adapters. Instead there is just this scarce table that's been updated last time in 08/05/2014:
    https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...nd-la-ea4-lens

Here's also useful information for people adapting the A-mount lenses to E-mount cams - Are there any disadvantages to using an A-mount lens with the lens mount adapter?
    https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...NBdnV0bQ%3D%3D

Keep in mind that adapted via LA-EA3 Sony lenses AF slower than when LA-EA4 is used instead. LA-LE4 adapter features a 15-point AF system with 3 cross sensors. Similar AF module was used in entry-level Sony cameras like a57, a58.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone confirm if the 399 phase-detect AF works with the lenses bellow?

- Sony 50mm 1.4 - SAL50F14
    - Sony 28-75mm f/2.8 - SAL2875
    - Sony 100mm f/2.8 - SAL100M28
    - Sigma 24mm f1.4
    - Sigma 35mm f1.4
    - Sigma 85mm f1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Went out on lunch break to test the LA-EA3/4 adapters and 70-400 SSM2. Sunny midday light. Some findings
    - Contrast detect AF mode is useless, about as slow as adapted lens AF in previous A7-models. In daytime light I could not see that it were any more accurate in static targets than Phase Detect
    - LA-EA3 tracked surprisingly well, targets were moving cars doing between 80 and 100 km/h. I was in a bridge and they were coming towards me in an angle. Used flex Spot medium (gives a cluster of 9 PDAF points) + AF-C and mostly single shot shutter. Continuous slow is (the only that does tracking with LA-EA3) so slow than it felt better just to use single shot, that gives me 14 bit RAW too
    - checked static targets a between 50 and 200 meters from me. AF in Phase Detect mode seemed to be about as accurate as my manual focus with 12.5x magnification+peaking, at least I could not tell difference by chimping. Was a bit surprised by this. Again it kind of "felt" flex spot medium with multiple PDAF point hitting target was more accurate
    - LA-EA4 did fine too, Single shot and Continuous slow looked about same as LA-EA3 when I chimped, but using Continuous fast shutter the tracking accuracy fell dramatically. This may be caused by me losing track of target due to increased screen freeze, but regardless of the reason Continuous fast did not produce stellar results

All testing was done alternating between 300 and 400 mm, I shot maybe 300 to 400 frames. I difference in accuracy or hunting (the tracking practically never fell off target) that I could tell. Based on this I think I'll mostly use LA-EA3 in the weekend airshow (I'm still not 100% if I can make it there ). LA-EA3 gives me moving flex spot so I can leave more space in front of moving biplanes and somehow the Flex spot medium felt or even large felt more comfortable due to more PDAF points blinking than with the LA-EA4.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    Went out on lunch break to test the LA-EA3/4 adapters and 70-400 SSM2. Sunny midday light. Some findings
    - Contrast detect AF mode is useless, about as slow as adapted lens AF in previous A7-models. In daytime light I could not see that it were any more accurate in static targets than Phase Detect
    - LA-EA3 tracked surprisingly well, targets were moving cars doing between 80 and 100 km/h. I was in a bridge and they were coming towards me in an angle. Used flex Spot medium (gives a cluster of 9 PDAF points) + AF-C and mostly single shot shutter. Continuous slow is (the only that does tracking with LA-EA3) so slow than it felt better just to use single shot, that gives me 14 bit RAW too
    - checked static targets a between 50 and 200 meters from me. AF in Phase Detect mode seemed to be about as accurate as my manual focus with 12.5x magnification+peaking, at least I could not tell difference by chimping. Was a bit surprised by this. Again it kind of "felt" flex spot medium with multiple PDAF point hitting target was more accurate
    - LA-EA4 did fine too, Single shot and Continuous slow looked about same as LA-EA3 when I chimped, but using Continuous fast shutter the tracking accuracy fell dramatically. This may be caused by me losing track of target due to increased screen freeze, but regardless of the reason Continuous fast did not produce stellar results

All testing was done alternating between 300 and 400 mm, I shot maybe 300 to 400 frames. I difference in accuracy or hunting (the tracking practically never fell off target) that I could tell. Based on this I think I'll mostly use LA-EA3 in the weekend airshow (I'm still not 100% if I can make it there ). LA-EA3 gives me moving flex spot so I can leave more space in front of moving biplanes and somehow the Flex spot medium felt or even large felt more comfortable due to more PDAF points blinking than with the LA-EA4.
    Great and thanks for this. Is what I wanted to know!

Maybe it would be possible to post some images of the airshow taken with that combo if you happen to make it there?

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Great guide by Brian. Thanks, Ario.

Sony is not dumb...they only allow 399 compatibility on lenses that do not compete with their FE lens selection.

Apparently the Sigma art 35mm 1.5 and the old Sigma 50mm 1.4 DG work great with the LAEA3...the 85mm 1.4 so so:

Sony A7rii: LA EA3 and 3rd party lenses, which work, which don't - Mike Kobal

Has anyone tested the non stabilized Tamron 90mm macro?
    Can anyone confirm if the lenses that work with the LAEA3 with 399 AF points maintain continuous 399 AF while shooting video?
    Last edited by Rawfa; 17th August 2015 at 01:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    I hope someone has a Tamron 150-600 to test with the A7RII and LAE3 mount.
    Camera just arrived. I immediately mounted the Tamron 150-600mm on the LAE3 adapter and am pleased to report that it works! Not sure about speed (seems OK) or number of points, but at least it passes the initial function test. I'll report back when/if the sun ever comes out and I have more details.

The big thing for me is not losing that 1/2 stop to the mirror in the LA-EA4 adapter; a very nice bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Have tried the mark 1 24-70 f2.8 ZA with the LA-EA3, and it works fine, using PDAF. it might be a bit slower, compared to using it on the a99 (depending on the light), but it also seems more accurate. 70mm @ f2.8 gives an almost 100% hit rate (tried af-s with the small flexible focus point, so only a single PDAF point is being used). actually the lens shines on this 42MP sensor. it is easily good enough to use all of the resolution. only the extreme corners at 24mm are not great, same as on a900/a99. this remains a really great zoom.
    Also tried the mark 1 70-300. also just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

More info on using the Tamron 150-600mm on the a7Rii and the LA-EA3; it does indeed get all 399 phase-detection autofocus points and focuses quite nicely at medium focal lengths. Gets a little more 'hunty' above about 400mm, but still works at least as well as on the LA-EA4.

If my new monopod arrives and the sun ever shows itself again, I may be able to shoot something worth posting.
    Last edited by MikeEvangelist; 22nd August 2015 at 07:40.

Post Thanks / Like

What was the original mount for the Tamron Canon I assume?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aragdog View Post
    What was the original mount for the Tamron Canon I assume?
    No, the Tamron is available as a Sony A-mount lens.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike,

I have the Tamron 150-600 A mount and also Sony A mount 70-400 SSM II arriving on Tuesday to test with the LAEA3 and LAEA4 and my A7II & A7RII (I'll check my A7s & A7r too if I have time). I'm off on safari in Africa in the middle of the Sept and renting these to test to decide what to take with me for a couple of weeks.

I tried a Canon mount 150-600 with Metabones IV adapter in store but it was too slow to be usable on the back of a land rover. The Sony mount version hopefully will be a lot better and I'll be testing on both bodies and adapters so that I have backup options.

I'm extremely interested in any experiences and tips from others who have tried either of these lenses on the FE mount cameras.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What do with think about the A mount 50mm vs. the E mount 55? Pros and cons?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Tamron lens and LAE3 adapter coming as well.
    I posted a question on Lu-La asking for experience reports since Michael and Kevin have used the lens on both the A7RII and the A7II.

Got a reply back from Michael saying the lens and E3 adapter on the RII is outstanding.

My recollection is that it won't work well on the A7II with the E3 adapter. Not a big deal for me.

I'll let you know what I find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    What do with think about the A mount 50mm vs. the E mount 55? Pros and cons?
    This is not addressing the OP but I will comment on the E mount 55. I purchased one on a whim along with my A7Rll expecting to send it back. I'm still pinching myself but this lens kicks butt! Sides and corners are all very sharp at the same plane..... absolutely amazing!! I shoot it at F5.6 mostly and am in heaven. So...... good copies are out there. I don't have another lens in this focal length area that can touch this lens...... that includes Zeiss and anything from Nikon. Still can't believe it.......

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Mike,

I have the Tamron 150-600 A mount and also Sony A mount 70-400 SSM II arriving on Tuesday to test with the LAEA3 and LAEA4 and my A7II & A7RII (I'll check my A7s & A7r too if I have time). I'm off on safari in Africa in the middle of the Sept and renting these to test to decide what to take with me for a couple of weeks.

I tried a Canon mount 150-600 with Metabones IV adapter in store but it was too slow to be usable on the back of a land rover. The Sony mount version hopefully will be a lot better and I'll be testing on both bodies and adapters so that I have backup options.

I'm extremely interested in any experiences and tips from others who have tried either of these lenses on the FE mount cameras.
    Graham:
    I just returned from two weeks in Zambia and Botswana and used an A7RII with the Sony A mount 70-400 SSM II and the LAEA3 adapter. I have not had time to really go through my files, but I am generally impressed with what I see so far. The lens is generally excellent from an optical standpoint. I was able to shoot handheld with the lens and get very capable results by setting the camera on Manual at my desired aperture (usually one stop down from wide open) and a shutter speed of at least 1/1000 of a second, and using Auto ISO to let the camera determine the ISO to achieve t he correct exposure. At ISOs of up to 3200, the A7RII is superb even without applying sophisticated NR. The AF with the LAEA3 seemed quite snappy to me, but low light was a problem very late in the day and certainly on night drives. I had to switch to MF with magnified view and hope the lions and leopards stayed relatively still. Since they were hunting, this did not always work well, as you can imagine. I am not experienced enough with AF to know if cameras like the Nikon D4S and the Canon 1DX would have worked in these conditions either. You should note that some of the best AF features of the A7RII like AF-A and focus tracking do NOT work with the Sony 70-400. High Speed Continuous Drive also does not work.
    As you have probably read, the use of EFCS is NOT recommended with shutter speeds at 1/1000 and faster. There is no way to set up the camera to automatically turn off EFCS at higher shutter speeds and it was beyond me to remember to turn it on or off based upon shutter speed. In good light, I was regularly using very fast shutter speeds so I would want it off, but as the light went down, my shutter speeds would drop and I would forget to turn it on.
    Off topic, but the A7RII files seem to have a very smooth and beautiful quality to them. I really like what I am seeing so far.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Howard, that is most useful information.

I'm off tomorrow for my trip. I decided in the end to take the Tamron 150-600 A mount on one 17rII body along with 70-200FE on a second A7rII plus a couple of other lenses for use with by A7s around camp at night etc. My experience with the 70-400 was good but in the end I decided to pick up the Tamron anyway. Both seem to behave in a similar manner to you describe regarding AF support and I've also found that they would hunt in low light with either the LEA3 or LEA4 and so I have to resort to manual focus. I'm taking along both adapters because I've yet to get fully comfortable with which is better overall. The extra AF points and tracking with the LEA3 seems better but since the adapters are small I'll play safe anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on the EFCS.

I decided to rent a second A7rII vs taking along my A7II as the second body. I figured that the last place I want to be fiddling around with subtle body operational differences is on the back of a Land Rover during animal action.

Regarding other camera / lens performance, the last couple of times I've been on Safari I've always shot with Nikons. The D3s and D3x combo I took last time on a 200-400/4 VR and 70-200/2.8 VR II were excellent regarding AF performance in low light. I pretty much know already that the Sony's won't perform at quite the same level of AF but this time around I'm not really looking to machine gun AF - been there, done that, don't need to do it any more.

One thing that I haven't come to grips with yet are the lack of rear button AF in AF modes. I normally use the cameras in MF mode and use a rear button for on-demand AF but with the AF modes it always seems to only work with the shutter button (with the LEA3/4 at least). I may have to revisit this again today.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Thank you Howard, that is most useful information.

I'm off tomorrow for my trip. I decided in the end to take the Tamron 150-600 A mount on one 17rII body along with 70-200FE on a second A7rII plus a couple of other lenses for use with by A7s around camp at night etc. My experience with the 70-400 was good but in the end I decided to pick up the Tamron anyway. Both seem to behave in a similar manner to you describe regarding AF support and I've also found that they would hunt in low light with either the LEA3 or LEA4 and so I have to resort to manual focus. I'm taking along both adapters because I've yet to get fully comfortable with which is better overall. The extra AF points and tracking with the LEA3 seems better but since the adapters are small I'll play safe anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on the EFCS.

I decided to rent a second A7rII vs taking along my A7II as the second body. I figured that the last place I want to be fiddling around with subtle body operational differences is on the back of a Land Rover during animal action.

Regarding other camera / lens performance, the last couple of times I've been on Safari I've always shot with Nikons. The D3s and D3x combo I took last time on a 200-400/4 VR and 70-200/2.8 VR II were excellent regarding AF performance in low light. I pretty much know already that the Sony's won't perform at quite the same level of AF but this time around I'm not really looking to machine gun AF - been there, done that, don't need to do it any more.

One thing that I haven't come to grips with yet are the lack of rear button AF in AF modes. I normally use the cameras in MF mode and use a rear button for on-demand AF but with the AF modes it always seems to only work with the shutter button (with the LEA3/4 at least). I may have to revisit this again today.
    I read at least one report that the AF performance with non-native zoom lenses is better with the LAEA4 adapter in terms of hunting for focus, even though you apparently sacrifice some of the PDAF sensors compared to the LAEA3. If I had the time, I would have rented both adapters to try before I left.
    On the setup of the menus for rear button AF, I recall setting it up following the recommendations in the LULA review of the A7II. At least with the Sony A Mount 70-400, I could put the lens into MF mode and still use the button in the AF/MF toggle switch for on-demand AF. More often than not, I just left the lens in AF mode and used a half press of the shutter to get my focus and then recomposed.

Post Thanks / Like

Tamron 150-600 and EA3 adapter just arrived. Will have to start testing and practicing tomorrow.

From everything said here and from Michael R's comments on Lu-La I anticipate that I have found my long lens for the A7RII. I had a Sigma 120-300 F2.8 for my 5DIII. It was a big heavy but great lens.

I am a bit surprised that the Tamron is as small as it is when not zoomed out. Much more compact than I expected after seeing MR's review on the LuLa.

Will get its first workout at the BMW Championship next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Rented the A7Rii + LA-EA3 + Sony 70-400 G II + Sony Zeiss 135 F1.8 last week for a trip to New Hampshire and Vermont. Big heavy lens, but then I use tripod with long lenses anyway. Very nice combo I must say - 70-400 is superb on the A7Rii if you need a one lens solution for that range. With my Leica R 21-35 and R35-70 on the A7, I was able to cover all scenarios.

I tried hand-holding but did not get consistent results with IBIS, so I switched it off and went back to tripod. Zeiss 135 is MF only anyway with the LA-EA3. In any event this heavy combo is tripod only for me.

AF seemed to be very good, but I used MF most of the time - focus grip of 70-400 is quite good and easy to fine tune in magnified LV.

Definitely renting the 70-400 again on trips that need this range. Some over-processed pictures attached and yes, the colors were really bright.

First two with Zeiss, last four with 70-400. #3 is at 400MM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emergo Farm Vermont Fall Sony A7Rii-4.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	983.1 KB 
ID:	113281

Name:	Emergo Farm Vermont Fall Sony A7Rii-3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	113282

Name:	Kancamagus Hwy A7.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	113283

Name:	Vermont Peacham Fall Sony A7Rii-3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	937.3 KB 
ID:	113284

Name:	Vermont Peacham Fall Sony A7Rii-2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	875.5 KB 
ID:	113285

Name:	Vermont Peacham Fall Sony A7Rii.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	716.1 KB 
ID:	113286
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone test the Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 Di USD?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the Minolta 80-200 HS 2.8 on the a7r II via LA-EA4 ?
    Feedback would be appreciated on the image quality.
    TIA

Post Thanks / Like

What's the best adapter to use in terms of AF speed with Sigma 120-300mm f2.8?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cedie0401 View Post
    What's the best adapter to use in terms of AF speed with Sigma 120-300mm f2.8?
    Probably the Sigma MC-11.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com