The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII Sony A Mount. Include Sigma, Tamron, Minolta

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now with the LAE3 adapter to get full available AF points from the body . Let's report all the glass that is or not working correctly on the new body.

Again like the rest of the threads I posted on other brands we want a reference database to go by.

dmward

I hope someone has a Tamron 150-600 to test with the A7RII and LAE3 mount.

This LINK describes the lens with an LAE4 and A7II. The RII and LAE3 would be an even more desirable combination.

Could be a great solution for long lens needs.

ohnri

Re: A7rII with LA-EA3 and Sony 70-400 G2

First tests with the A7r2, the LA-EA3 and the 70-400 G2.

Just shooting out of a window then turning the camera indoors with this combination reveals ...

On High Frame Rate and AF-C - It will AF on the first shot then stay locked there. So there is not any continuous AF when using the High Frame Rate with this lens and adapter.

On Low Frame Rate (about 2 fps) and AF-C - It will try to AF for every shot.
So continuous AF will try to work when using the Low Frame Rate with this lens and adapter.

By contrast, when using the A7r2 with the Sony/Zeiss 35/1.4 FE and, therefore, no adapter, it will try to AF for every frame even when using the High Frame Rate and AF-C.

These findings apply to both FF and crop modes. No difference between them.

-Bill

Malina DZ

Now with the LAE3 adapter to get full available AF points from the body...
Meaning 399 phase-detect AF points support. Sony decided not to mention which Alpha lenses get PDAF support on a7RII. My guess, it is only those refreshed mkII SSM Alpha lenses that are going to be supported, e.g. 16-35/2.8 ZA, 24-70 ZA, 70-400 G, 300/2.8 G, etc. I'll be happy to be proved wrong and see 24/2 ZA & 50/1.4 ZA among those supported as well.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Meaning 399 phase-detect AF points support. Sony decided not to mention which Alpha lenses get PDAF support on a7RII. My guess, it is only those refreshed mkII SSM Alpha lenses that are going to be supported, e.g. 16-35/2.8 ZA, 24-70 ZA, 70-400 G, 300/2.8 G, etc. I'll be happy to be proved wrong and see 24/2 ZA & 50/1.4 ZA among those supported as well.
It's fairly simple screw drive lens s will not work with the LAA-EA 3 . You need to use the 4 adapter with these lenses. SSM lenses you can use the LA-EA3

Malina DZ

It's fairly simple screw drive lens s will not work with the LAA-EA 3 . You need to use the 4 adapter with these lenses. SSM lenses you can use the LA-EA3
This is true.
SSM mkI lenses will use contrast-detection AF points only, but I might be wrong as I haven't tested it myself. This thread is about the full AF capacity of the camera, isn't it? A list of A-mount lenses that can utilize all PDAF points via LA-EA3 adapter is going to be short, unfortunately. Looking forward to what happy a7RII owners report.

Malina DZ

Sony should have started a compatibility feature table for Sony A-mount lenses on E-mount bodies via it's LA-EA adapters. Instead there is just this scarce table that's been updated last time in 08/05/2014:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answe...n-the-la-ea1,-la-ea2,-la-ea3,-and-la-ea4-lens

Here's also useful information for people adapting the A-mount lenses to E-mount cams - Are there any disadvantages to using an A-mount lens with the lens mount adapter?
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answe...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM5MTI5MjMxL3NpZC9DQ1NBdnV0bQ==

Keep in mind that adapted via LA-EA3 Sony lenses AF slower than when LA-EA4 is used instead. LA-LE4 adapter features a 15-point AF system with 3 cross sensors. Similar AF module was used in entry-level Sony cameras like a57, a58.

Rawfa

Can anyone confirm if the 399 phase-detect AF works with the lenses bellow?

- Sony 50mm 1.4 - SAL50F14
- Sony 28-75mm f/2.8 - SAL2875
- Sony 100mm f/2.8 - SAL100M28
- Sigma 24mm f1.4
- Sigma 35mm f1.4
- Sigma 85mm f1.4

tn1krr

Went out on lunch break to test the LA-EA3/4 adapters and 70-400 SSM2. Sunny midday light. Some findings
- Contrast detect AF mode is useless, about as slow as adapted lens AF in previous A7-models. In daytime light I could not see that it were any more accurate in static targets than Phase Detect
- LA-EA3 tracked surprisingly well, targets were moving cars doing between 80 and 100 km/h. I was in a bridge and they were coming towards me in an angle. Used flex Spot medium (gives a cluster of 9 PDAF points) + AF-C and mostly single shot shutter. Continuous slow is (the only that does tracking with LA-EA3) so slow than it felt better just to use single shot, that gives me 14 bit RAW too
- checked static targets a between 50 and 200 meters from me. AF in Phase Detect mode seemed to be about as accurate as my manual focus with 12.5x magnification+peaking, at least I could not tell difference by chimping. Was a bit surprised by this. Again it kind of "felt" flex spot medium with multiple PDAF point hitting target was more accurate
- LA-EA4 did fine too, Single shot and Continuous slow looked about same as LA-EA3 when I chimped, but using Continuous fast shutter the tracking accuracy fell dramatically. This may be caused by me losing track of target due to increased screen freeze, but regardless of the reason Continuous fast did not produce stellar results

All testing was done alternating between 300 and 400 mm, I shot maybe 300 to 400 frames. I difference in accuracy or hunting (the tracking practically never fell off target) that I could tell. Based on this I think I'll mostly use LA-EA3 in the weekend airshow (I'm still not 100% if I can make it there ). LA-EA3 gives me moving flex spot so I can leave more space in front of moving biplanes and somehow the Flex spot medium felt or even large felt more comfortable due to more PDAF points blinking than with the LA-EA4.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Went out on lunch break to test the LA-EA3/4 adapters and 70-400 SSM2. Sunny midday light. Some findings
- Contrast detect AF mode is useless, about as slow as adapted lens AF in previous A7-models. In daytime light I could not see that it were any more accurate in static targets than Phase Detect
- LA-EA3 tracked surprisingly well, targets were moving cars doing between 80 and 100 km/h. I was in a bridge and they were coming towards me in an angle. Used flex Spot medium (gives a cluster of 9 PDAF points) + AF-C and mostly single shot shutter. Continuous slow is (the only that does tracking with LA-EA3) so slow than it felt better just to use single shot, that gives me 14 bit RAW too
- checked static targets a between 50 and 200 meters from me. AF in Phase Detect mode seemed to be about as accurate as my manual focus with 12.5x magnification+peaking, at least I could not tell difference by chimping. Was a bit surprised by this. Again it kind of "felt" flex spot medium with multiple PDAF point hitting target was more accurate
- LA-EA4 did fine too, Single shot and Continuous slow looked about same as LA-EA3 when I chimped, but using Continuous fast shutter the tracking accuracy fell dramatically. This may be caused by me losing track of target due to increased screen freeze, but regardless of the reason Continuous fast did not produce stellar results

All testing was done alternating between 300 and 400 mm, I shot maybe 300 to 400 frames. I difference in accuracy or hunting (the tracking practically never fell off target) that I could tell. Based on this I think I'll mostly use LA-EA3 in the weekend airshow (I'm still not 100% if I can make it there ). LA-EA3 gives me moving flex spot so I can leave more space in front of moving biplanes and somehow the Flex spot medium felt or even large felt more comfortable due to more PDAF points blinking than with the LA-EA4.
Great and thanks for this. Is what I wanted to know!

Maybe it would be possible to post some images of the airshow taken with that combo if you happen to make it there?

Peter

Rawfa

Great guide by Brian. Thanks, Ario.

Sony is not dumb...they only allow 399 compatibility on lenses that do not compete with their FE lens selection.

Apparently the Sigma art 35mm 1.5 and the old Sigma 50mm 1.4 DG work great with the LAEA3...the 85mm 1.4 so so:

Sony A7rii: LA EA3 and 3rd party lenses, which work, which don't - Mike Kobal

Has anyone tested the non stabilized Tamron 90mm macro?
Can anyone confirm if the lenses that work with the LAEA3 with 399 AF points maintain continuous 399 AF while shooting video?

Last edited:
I hope someone has a Tamron 150-600 to test with the A7RII and LAE3 mount.
Camera just arrived. I immediately mounted the Tamron 150-600mm on the LAE3 adapter and am pleased to report that it works! Not sure about speed (seems OK) or number of points, but at least it passes the initial function test. I'll report back when/if the sun ever comes out and I have more details.

The big thing for me is not losing that 1/2 stop to the mirror in the LA-EA4 adapter; a very nice bonus.

waardij

Have tried the mark 1 24-70 f2.8 ZA with the LA-EA3, and it works fine, using PDAF. it might be a bit slower, compared to using it on the a99 (depending on the light), but it also seems more accurate. 70mm @ f2.8 gives an almost 100% hit rate (tried af-s with the small flexible focus point, so only a single PDAF point is being used). actually the lens shines on this 42MP sensor. it is easily good enough to use all of the resolution. only the extreme corners at 24mm are not great, same as on a900/a99. this remains a really great zoom.
Also tried the mark 1 70-300. also just fine.

More info on using the Tamron 150-600mm on the a7Rii and the LA-EA3; it does indeed get all 399 phase-detection autofocus points and focuses quite nicely at medium focal lengths. Gets a little more 'hunty' above about 400mm, but still works at least as well as on the LA-EA4.

If my new monopod arrives and the sun ever shows itself again, I may be able to shoot something worth posting.

Last edited: