The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII + Cambo Actus

gazwas

I'd be all in on the Arca if it wasn't for the strange L-bracket camera mounting that seems overly fussy to me and now the Actus offers the Canon auto lens mount its by far the moat rounded system of all these mini vies cameras. I'm very tempted and hope to have a good look at one very soon.

Blazej Marczak

First try with the A7RII on the Cambo Actus. Used the standard bellows with a Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5. A 4 shot pano at f/11, ISO 50 with about 1 degree downward tilt. Stitched in LR with Photomerge. Final is a 74 MP image, click to get link to full size image.

The setup

4 shot pano

Hello,

I must say that these results are very impressive and now I am curious about Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5. Are you able to share some more info about this lens performance on Sony Alpha 7rII with Cambo Actus Mini? I am particularly interested in how far you could go with the rise and fall and horizontal shifts. Did you notice any colour cast or chromatic aberration when performing shifts? I am currently researching on Cambo Actus Mini and bought a Sony Alpha 7rII especially for this camera, the biggest problem for me at the moment is the choice of the right lenses. Pictures from Rodenstock APO 55mm looks looks fantastic but did you spent a lot of time creating LCC profile and in post production? Are you able to focus with this lens to infinity when using standard bellows? Excuse if I am appearing to be ignorant but I am rather new to the world of LF lenses. I am also considering some MF lenses but still not sure which ones will be best to use on 7rII and Actus- any suggestions would be more than appreciated. I am going to use Actus mainly for architecture and landscapes and as I am a detail freak I love correct colours and sharpness across the whole image. Looking forward to hear more about your experience with Actus and Sony! Thank you.

scho

Hello,

I must say that these results are very impressive and now I am curious about Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5. Are you able to share some more info about this lens performance on Sony Alpha 7rII with Cambo Actus Mini? I am particularly interested in how far you could go with the rise and fall and horizontal shifts. Did you notice any colour cast or chromatic aberration when performing shifts? I am currently researching on Cambo Actus Mini and bought a Sony Alpha 7rII especially for this camera, the biggest problem for me at the moment is the choice of the right lenses. Pictures from Rodenstock APO 55mm looks looks fantastic but did you spent a lot of time creating LCC profile and in post production? Are you able to focus with this lens to infinity when using standard bellows? Excuse if I am appearing to be ignorant but I am rather new to the world of LF lenses. I am also considering some MF lenses but still not sure which ones will be best to use on 7rII and Actus- any suggestions would be more than appreciated. I am going to use Actus mainly for architecture and landscapes and as I am a detail freak I love correct colours and sharpness across the whole image. Looking forward to hear more about your experience with Actus and Sony! Thank you.
I don't recall having any problems with lateral color casting when using the 55 shifted, but did experience strong magenta casts with the 45 using max lateral shifts. The 55 works well with the standard bellows and will achieve infinity focus. Sharpness is excellent. I never used a LCC profile with the 55 and only standard post processing. As I mentioned before, I don't shoot much architecture so if you need extreme shifts YMMV and that is true for most LF analog lenses used on the Actus.

MrSmith

I'm borrowing a Rodenstock 45 apo sironar digital (purple band) with a view to purchase. I'll be using it mostly in the studio but wondered if anyone has used it at infinity with the a7r/II with the normal standard not the WA one that's definitely needed for the 35?

MrSmith

So I answered my own question. NO:banghead: withe the rear element touching the lens body standard it's focuses about 3ft in front of the lens, if I could focus in the studio but not at infinity it would be usable.

I don't shoot wide often enough to warrant buying a new rear standard so I'll have to look at. 47/50 or 55 instead.

Steve Hendrix

So I answered my own question. NO:banghead: withe the rear element touching the lens body standard it's focuses about 3ft in front of the lens, if I could focus in the studio but not at infinity it would be usable.

I don't shoot wide often enough to warrant buying a new rear standard so I'll have to look at. 47/50 or 55 instead.

If the rear optic is too large to fit inside the rear standard bayonet mount, then it's a tough call whether the modified rear standard would help. Some of the wide lenses, like the HR-S 35 have small enough rear elements that can fit inside the rear standard bayonet and attain focus, even without the modified version. But what I've found is that it still presents an issue for shifting, since you cannot attain the same focus position when shifting, because the rear standard bayonet mount then blocks the ability of the lens to attain the same depth as the focus position within the bayonet holder when not shifted.

This is illustrated about 2/3 of the way down my just published article concerning wide angle options on the Actus Camera:

https://captureintegration.com/seeing-sideways-with-the-cambo-actus/

Steve Hendrix/CI

scho

Tried doing some stitching with the Leica R 35-70 Vario-Elmar f/4 on the Cambo Actus with Sony A7R-FS (CC filter on lens). Two images below are composed of two shots each stitched with Photomerge in LR.

Barely enough room to shift inside the relatively small image circle of the 35-70 @ 35 mm. I'm going to try some of my Pentax 645 lenses next, particularly the Pentax 645 A 35/3.5.

scho

Tried doing some stitching with the Leica R 35-70 Vario-Elmar f/4 on the Cambo Actus with Sony A7R-FS (CC filter on lens). Two images below are composed of two shots each stitched with Photomerge in LR.
Barely enough room to shift inside the relatively small image circle of the 35-70 @ 35 mm. I'm going to try some of my Pentax 645 lenses next, particularly the Pentax 645 A 35/3.5.
Two more stitched shots using the Pentax 645-A 35mm f/3.5 lens. More room for shifting and no lateral vignetting or color shift.

scho

Pentax 645-A 35mm f/3.5, two shots framed using rise/fall and cropped in post. Edges soft as a result of some un-intended aperture adjustment (was set at f/11, but should have been in A position for the Cambo mount manual adjust so actually was wide open:facesmack:)

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

My guess: an Old stock of Sk componon 60/4 apo hm same as digitar 60/4...

All the componon apo hm 60/80/90/100 play very well At f8/f11...even the 45apo hm allow 5/7mm of shift on 24x36 sensor with digitar crispiness

I had a very quick, semi-rough sortie with this lens last week (we just received our demo).

I shot it against a Schneider 60mm/5.6 APO Digitar XL (a great, very sharp lens).

To my eye, the Actar 60mm did not match it, but it came close enough to impress. Considering the price difference, this lens may prove to be a worthy addition to the Actar line.

That lens will be shown at PhotoPlus in New York City this week (booth # 358). If you're around, Capture Integration will be at booth # 249, swing by and say hi.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Hausen

This is likely a silly question. 25% of what I do is stitched panoramas using my A7rII + Nodal Ninja 3 and Loxia 21 or 50mm. Would I be able to use the Actus or Actus mini with my A7rII + Loxia setup? So Sony rear mount and Lens board. Had all on the Canon TSEs adapted to A7rII and never liked it. Love the look of the Actus and really miss movements. Also have the GM 24-70 which I use for my LE work and would love movements on that as well. I shoot mainly at ground level and a little rise and fall or shift is always beneficial.

CAMBOUSA

This is likely a silly question. 25% of what I do is stitched panoramas using my A7rII + Nodal Ninja 3 and Loxia 21 or 50mm. Would I be able to use the Actus or Actus mini with my A7rII + Loxia setup? So Sony rear mount and Lens board. Had all on the Canon TSEs adapted to A7rII and never liked it. Love the look of the Actus and really miss movements. Also have the GM 24-70 which I use for my LE work and would love movements on that as well. I shoot mainly at ground level and a little rise and fall or shift is always beneficial.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but neither of those three lenses will focus unfortunately. They are all designed to be used natively on the Sony system and when you introduce the bellows in between, they will never be able to achieve focus.

What didn't you like about the TSE lenses?

Have you considered using a medium format lens with a larger image circle instead, or perhaps the Actar 24?

Hausen

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but neither of those three lenses will focus unfortunately. They are all designed to be used natively on the Sony system and when you introduce the bellows in between, they will never be able to achieve focus.

What didn't you like about the TSE lenses?

Have you considered using a medium format lens with a larger image circle instead, or perhaps the Actar 24?
Thanks for reply. I thought about it afterward and come to same conclusion:) The adaptors (Metabones IV) really annoyed me for my long exposure work with light leaks and such. I covered them up but am often in wind and it wasn't great. Native lenses always work better so I got rid of them. Miss the movements though. Will have a look at the Actar 24. Was hoping if I grabbed an Actus Mini it might rid me of my Tech Camera fetish.

CAMBOUSA

Thanks for reply. I thought about it afterward and come to same conclusion:) The adaptors (Metabones IV) really annoyed me for my long exposure work with light leaks and such. I covered them up but am often in wind and it wasn't great. Native lenses always work better so I got rid of them. Miss the movements though. Will have a look at the Actar 24. Was hoping if I grabbed an Actus Mini it might rid me of my Tech Camera fetish.
I may be on the other side of the world, but feel free to reach out with any questions!

I can tell you that the fine folks at Cambo do read this forum sometimes, they just don't speak up as much as I do.

If anyone from Cambo is reading, I'd be really grateful to know how well the Actus works with the Leica M240 or M246? There is obviously an M mount. Which lenses in the 50mm focal length area work flawlessly at infinity with this set up? For example the 60mm Actar? How much back rise / fall would this give (my interest is architecture) and/or left-right stitching? Anything that I need to consider - like color cast etc? THANK YOU if you can help answer!

CAMBOUSA

If anyone from Cambo is reading, I'd be really grateful to know how well the Actus works with the Leica M240 or M246? There is obviously an M mount. Which lenses in the 50mm focal length area work flawlessly at infinity with this set up? For example the 60mm Actar? How much back rise / fall would this give (my interest is architecture) and/or left-right stitching? Anything that I need to consider - like color cast etc? THANK YOU if you can help answer!
There are a few ways to look at this. On the traditional Rodenstock and Schneider options, because of the Flange Focal Distance (FFD), you are looking at lenses 70mm and greater having full compatibility. The 55mm Apo Sironar digital lens should focus to infinity, but because of it's design will not give you much (if any) movement.

M39 enlarger lenses 60 and above should work no problem.

And of course, the Actar 60 would give you infinity focus and around 15-17mm of shift depending on your orientation.

As to not clog up the Sony thread with Leica, please feel free to email or PM me any further questions about this setup.

Last edited:

thrice

Pentax 645-A 35mm f/3.5, two shots framed using rise/fall and cropped in post. Edges soft as a result of some un-intended aperture adjustment (was set at f/11, but should have been in A position for the Cambo mount manual adjust so actually was wide open:facesmack:)
How do you find corner sharpness at about 15mm shift? I am using the HD version of the lens with 2 kipon adapters (P645-F, F-FE) and it's quite impressive.