The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII + Cambo Actus

scho

First try with the A7RII on the Cambo Actus. Used the standard bellows with a Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5. A 4 shot pano at f/11, ISO 50 with about 1 degree downward tilt. Stitched in LR with Photomerge. Final is a 74 MP image, click to get link to full size image.

The setup

4 shot pano

f8orbust

Great thread - for me the most interesting of all the A7RII ones that have appeared.

Would love to see results from the A7RII on the Actus with some shifted modern wide angle lenses, especially non-retrofocus ones; I'm keen to know how this sensor tech performs with the aforementioned.

Jim

rupho

Can somebody confirm that the Actus does NOT have front rise? Just front tilt.
Looking at the image of the camera itself it also appears that way I really don't get it why they would omit that and loose out on the architectural photographers. That need front rise and fall. Can somebody kindly confirm that? I was looking at an Actus myself but now I am hesitant
Thanks

scho

Looking at the image of the camera itself it also appears that way I really don't get it why they would omit that and loose out on the architectural photographers. That need front rise and fall. Can somebody kindly confirm that? I was looking at an Actus myself but now I am hesitant
Thanks
Front swing and tilt, rear rise/fall and shift.

Annna T

Thanks
I think that architecture photographers prefer to use back fall to front rise. I'm not sure why, but I think that by this you avoid moving the lens and thus you don't have to readjust focus after readjusting your movement.

jlm

Workshop Member
by not moving (shifting) the lens, you retain relative positioning and alignment of objects in the image. tilting/swinging the lens instead of the back retains what amounts to perspective correction

scho

Three images taken today with the A7RII and 47mm f/5.6 SK XL digitar mounted on the Actus with standard rail and bellows. Good sharpness across frame and no serious edge/corner issues, nor color shifting. Lens was mounted in an NK-0 aperture mount with no shutter.

The Meyers Point light on Cayuga Lake, single shot, click for full size link.

Two shot stitch of the harbor at Meyers Point. Click for full size link.

Three shot stitch of the view to Portland Point and salt mine from Meyers Point. Click for full size link.

scho

A few garden shots with the A7RII on the Cambo Actus with SK 47mm f/5.6 XL APO lens. All are two shot stitched panos. Click image to get Flickr page with link to original full size image. Very sharp with excellent detail resolution.

jlm

Workshop Member
carl, could you post a detail shot of how the A7 fits the rear standard, esp curious about portrait orientation and the difference between the DB and A& rear standards.

also how wide a lens have you been able to fit and get to inf focus?

thx

jm

Annna T

The first one is a keeper : good light and nice composition.

A few garden shots with the A7RII on the Cambo Actus with SK 47mm f/5.6 XL APO lens. All are two shot stitched panos. Click image to get Flickr page with link to original full size image. Very sharp with excellent detail resolution.

scho

carl, could you post a detail shot of how the A7 fits the rear standard, esp curious about portrait orientation and the difference between the DB and A& rear standards.

also how wide a lens have you been able to fit and get to inf focus?

thx

jm
Three shots below of A7RII on the Actus. Push silver lever up to rotate mount between portrait/landscape orientation. The SK 47 is the widest that I can use on the regular rear standard and bellows. The optional rear standard for wider lenses I think will allow down to 32mm.

One more showing how little room you have for movements when focus is at infinity.

Hmm, one advantage I see to the Arca, then is that there is almost nothing between the body's lens mount and the rear of your given lens... so no restrictions on movement.

scho

Hmm, one advantage I see to the Arca, then is that there is almost nothing between the body's lens mount and the rear of your given lens... so no restrictions on movement.
But it is not just the Actus mount that impedes movement. The rear lens element still goes into the A7 body mount near infinity focus and would be even more limited with wider LF lenses (assuming the diameter of the rear lens element even allows the lens to get that close).

But it is not just the Actus mount that impedes movement. The rear lens element still goes into the A7 body mount near infinity focus and would be even more limited with wider LF lenses (assuming the diameter of the rear lens element even allows the lens to get that close).
I'm sure I was able to shift my 35 & 43 12 - 15mm on the Arca. How much movement are you getting? I've replaced most of my Schneiders with Hasselblad glass, so it's kind of a moot point for me.

scho

I'm sure I was able to shift my 35 & 43 12 - 15mm on the Arca. How much movement are you getting? I've replaced most of my Schneiders with Hasselblad glass, so it's kind of a moot point for me.
I get about 10mm shift max using the 47 on the Actus. The Hasselblad lenses are a good option and I have used them a few times on the Actus, particularly the 40. If I need to go wider with movements then I would just use a TS lens and forget the Actus.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
:thumbs: way to go Carl. Very very impressed in deed.

Although, on a side note, when I see this blue light on some of the shots covered by the well known aluminium casing I get a flippin hissy fit.:facesmack: In the space of less than 2 weeks I had 3 of them Lacie's 2TB crap out on me, yeppers, three!!!

I spare you the results of the support :argue: phone calls, utterly useless to put it mildly.

Total data loss = zero, thankfully due to back up strategy. Nevertheless, it really sucks, and this was the last Lacie that finds a home in my setup. Never again! Talk about WD support, due to move from Ireland to Germany I had lost one of the power wallwarts, send them an email, and 6 days later I had a new one at no cost.

Anyhow, fantastic setup Carl and equally great results. Love it!:clap:

kimyeesan

Three shots below of A7RII on the Actus. Push silver lever up to rotate mount between portrait/landscape orientation. The SK 47 is the widest that I can use on the regular rear standard and bellows. The optional rear standard for wider lenses I think will allow down to 32mm.

One more showing how little room you have for movements when focus is at infinity.

Go for Rodenstock WA 40mm, still have about 2~3mm space between the front and rear standard, however, you can't do left side shift as the handle will hit the front standard...