The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CA with my A7RII

Jamesya

Sorry to start with a sour note, but wanted to use this resource to explore for a possible solution. Have been a great fan of the Sony FF's since their inception.

I am seeing moderate CA in the out of focus area when shooting under harsh contrast conditions with ooc jpegs. Under the same conditions I never detected this with my A7II.

Using the 55 1.8 ZA lens wide open in both cases.

Is there something that I am missing in settings that will cause/exaggerate this condition?

I am using standard creative style saturation +2.

Will be happy to post my photo for your evaluation.

Thank you all for any suggestions.

Sorry to start with a sour note, but wanted to use this resource to explore for a possible solution. Have been a great fan of the Sony FF's since their inception.

I am seeing moderate CA in the out of focus area when shooting under harsh contrast conditions with ooc jpegs. Under the same conditions I never detected this with my A7II.

Using the 55 1.8 ZA lens wide open in both cases.

Is there something that I am missing in settings that will cause/exaggerate this condition?

I am using standard creative style saturation +2.

Will be happy to post my photo for your evaluation.

Thank you all for any suggestions.
Hi James, I have the A7R not the A7RII but I see CA in many shots I take, just use the CA corrector in the software you have, like C1, ACR and LR all have a box you can click on to correct for CA.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You can also shoot at F2 and a lot will go away. What your seeing is normal and coming from the lens. It has some CA wide open

Jamesya

Hi James, I have the A7R not the A7RII but I see CA in many shots I take, just use the CA corrector in the software you have, like C1, ACR and LR all have a box you can click on to correct for CA.
Thanks Antonio,

I do have C1, but right now I am just shooting jpegs and not raw. With the A7ii I never needed this extra step to remove CA in jpegs. I know raw is always best for all corrections, but was now more concern with why the difference between cameras.

Again thanks

Jamesya

You can also shoot at F2 and a lot will go away. What your seeing is normal and coming from the lens. It has some CA wide open
Thanks Guy,

I have been using you as a resource for lots of info. I do understand that stopping down will improve this, but my concern is that under the same conditions with the A7II, CA is much less than with the A7RII. Since I am using the same lens in both examples there seems to be another source of the CA.

Is this something that would be expected with this new high resolution sensor?

I have been following other threads that would suggest the opposite due to the light sensors being moved to the top.

Again thanks for your response and am looking forward to any further suggestions from the group.

Annna T

Thanks Guy,

I have been using you as a resource for lots of info. I do understand that stopping down will improve this, but my concern is that under the same conditions with the A7II, CA is much less than with the A7RII. Since I am using the same lens in both examples there seems to be another source of the CA.

Is this something that would be expected with this new high resolution sensor?

I have been following other threads that would suggest the opposite due to the light sensors being moved to the top.

Again thanks for your response and am looking forward to any further suggestions from the group.
If you are looking at your pictures with a 1:1 magnification, then the A7r2 having more resolution will make CA more visible aka a two pixels CA may become a 3 or 4 pixels one (depending on the body you were using before). Another things to check : There is probably an option to tell the camera whether lens defects are to be corrected or not. Make sure it is set to yes. Some defaults may have changed between the two cameras.

It us a well known fact that high resolution sensors are more demanding for lenses. You will have to find workaround of shoot raws.

Several things can "enhance" CA : like the amount of sharpness, saturation and contrast you dialed in. The settings you are using with your other body may not be the best for the new one.

Jamesya

If you are looking at your pictures with a 1:1 magnification, then the A7r2 having more resolution will make CA more visible aka a two pixels CA may become a 3 or 4 pixels one (depending on the body you were using before). Another things to check : There is probably an option to tell the camera whether lens defects are to be corrected or not. Make sure it is set to yes. Some defaults may have changed between the two cameras.

It us a well known fact that high resolution sensors are more demanding for lenses. You will have to find workaround of shoot raws.

Several things can "enhance" CA : like the amount of sharpness, saturation and contrast you dialed in. The settings you are using with your other body may not be the best for the new one.

Hi Annna and thanks for your response.

Since I started the post I have been playing with both cameras. You are very correct that the setting are not equal and I had to sort that out. Basically I have now reached the conclusion (with other settings being equaled) that the CA of both cameras can be matched when using the same lens one stop different. Is is as you say, that the higher resolution sensor is more demanding and is exaggerating the CA.

All being said I am very happy with my purchase and even more happy with meeting a few of you on the forum.

Again thanks to you and the rest in this group for your kind help.