The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Viewfinder/Monitor Switching

pflower

Ok this may seem hugely petty but the one thing that drives me to distraction with both the A7 and now the A7II is the inability to switch between the viewfinder and the LCD with a single button push. Shooting waist level with the viewfinder/monitor setting set to Auto is impossible since the moment you bring the camera within about 4 inches of your chest it switches to the viewfinder. Yes you can use the menu but that is a serious pain. I have heard that with the A7RII it is now possible to assign this to the fn menu. Has anyone got any experiences to share on this and how well it works?

As I say - petty. But after two days of switching between waist level and viewfinder without any degree of control I suddenly realised that if the A7RII can alleviate this nightmare then quite apart from any of the other advantages/improvements then this alone might be sufficient to consider an upgrade.

Any experiences or am I alone in this?

Viramati

So far it seems to be better than the previous A7's. I have to say that the problem can be solved by sticking a small piece of electrical tape over about a third of the sensor above the EVF

pflower

I have read about that and tried it but it may be that I am too clumsy or stupid to get this to work. I actually bought some of the lcd dimming things on Amazon, shipped from America but can't get them to work on my A7II. I simply don't understand the premise behind this. If you cover too much of the sensor then it seems to me that it automatically assumes (if a sensor can assume) that the camera is being held to an eye and in which case the monitor doesn't work at all. Covering 1/3rd of the sensor just doesn't work for me - sometimes I think there is a bit of an improvement and then I bring the camera too close to my body and it switches to the viewfinder and won't switch back however far away from me I hold it. I really wish I could get that simple trick to work - but I must be doing something wrong since others report success.

So far it seems to be better than the previous A7's. I have to say that the problem can be solved by sticking a small piece of electrical tape over about a third of the sensor above the EVF

pflower