The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for user comments re: Sony/Zeiss 55mm Emount FF

Amin

My general comment is that it is perhaps my favorite "50" ever (honorable mention going to the Summilux-M asph, ZM 50/2, and ZF 50 macro).

Re: your specific concern of vignetting, I'd say it's under 1 stop in the outer third of the frame wide open, not bad at all.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Annna T

My general comment is that it is perhaps my favorite "50" ever (honorable mention going to the Summilux-M asph, ZM 50/2, and ZF 50 macro).

Re: your specific concern of vignetting, I'd say it's under 1 stop in the outer third of the frame wide open, not bad at all.

Highly recommended!
Without correction in LR :

With correction in LR :

I like this lens a lot, but I find the vignetting quite strong, even after correction. I was doing a pano with a lot of blue sky and even using LR lens correction, I got regular dark spots in the sky due to this lens vignetting. That is my only nit with this lens.

I know a lot of people think that it is too clinical and lacks character. Personally I appreciate its extraordinary sharpness on the A7r and it's wonderful micro contrast. I do also like the bokey, smoother than I was expecting from such a sharp lens tagged Zeiss. (My Zeiss Contax G lenses tend to exhibit a busy bokey)

stephen.s1

Well, my 55 is to be delivered today, and tomorrow off to Maine for some shooting. I'm guessing (and hoping) DXO will do a better job with the vignetting. I'll shoot fine+ as well as raw. Hopefully my fave software will soon be updated to include ARW.

Viramati

To be honest in normal use I have never noticed it as I don't often photograph blank walls!! Has to be one of the finest 'standard' lenses I have ever used. Easily up there with my 50/1.4 summilux asph. A real joy to use. Buy it

jrp

I got it because it was one of the few lenses available for the Sony full from system that was not as heavy as a DSLR lens, and because it was affordable. I have found that it is a superlative lens. You'll find reviews that say that it's too clinical, but that just seems to mean that it doesn't have prominent aberrations, which is surely what you want. If you need to apply an Instagram filter, feel free to do so starting from a great raw file, without the "character" baked in :grin:

iiiNelson

To be honest in normal use I have never noticed it as I don't often photograph blank walls!! Has to be one of the finest 'standard' lenses I have ever used. Easily up there with my 50/1.4 summilux asph. A real joy to use. Buy it
Agreed. In most shots I don't think you'll notice the vignetting wide open. For landscapes you'll probably be shooting f/5.6-11 depending on the subject so it's a non-issue IMO.

stephen.s1

Bottom line from thread starter: I love it! First AF lens I've ever used (and there have been many) that hits focus without diddiling (hunting) around. Now Sony/Zeiss should make a 35mm that's no larger than this lens.

S

dandrewk

I got it because it was one of the few lenses available for the Sony full from system that was not as heavy as a DSLR lens, and because it was affordable. I have found that it is a superlative lens. You'll find reviews that say that it's too clinical, but that just seems to mean that it doesn't have prominent aberrations, which is surely what you want. If you need to apply an Instagram filter, feel free to do so starting from a great raw file, without the "character" baked in :grin:
I, too, have read the "it's too clinical" criticisms. I have no clue what that means in terms of lens quality, and I doubt even the critics know.

This is the sort of thing that must make lens designers crazy. "Hey Sony, you've designed a near flawless lens." Since when is that a bad thing? If the lens lacks punch, I think we can understand that. But there are no charts that can quantify "punch".

This reminds me of the Afghan/Iranian tribes with the craftsmen that have created Persian rugs for centuries. Deeply religious, they believe only God can make something perfect. So the deliberately weave into their rugs a mistake - so small that only they know it exists. But the rug is thus imperfect.

Perhaps Sony/Zeiss should pay homage.