The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII owners, Let's talk about Base ISO Dynamic Range

Ken_R

Well a few of you have had the A7RII for a few days now and a lot of us (who don't) are wondering what is the verdict on the base iso dynamic range. Is it an improvement over the A7R and the D810? Is it too close too call? Is it worse?

There are thousands of posts on the A7RII image quality but have yet to read a definitive answer of those questions. Some testers/reviewers report one thing (that base iso DR is a tad better) others that is a tad worse.

Viramati

DR is very good but I am finding that it is better to expose to the left as strangely highlight recovery seems to be better than shadow recovery which seems to show a certain amount of noise when you try to pull up detail.

Amin

Four owners seeing a 2-stop SNR advantage over A7R? :bugeyes:.

I respect all of you, but I have to put that in the too good to be true category. If the RAWs really look that way, then they have to be cooked. I hope I'm wrong!

Knorp

DR is very good but I am finding that it is better to expose to the left as strangely highlight recovery seems to be better than shadow recovery which seems to show a certain amount of noise when you try to pull up detail.
Yep, as yet that's my observation too. However, no complains irt shadow recovery.

Jim DE

That B&H discussion stated it has 14 stops of DR as base iso if that helps ...... this is my first a7x body so I have nothing to reference it to in the a7x line. Know it is much more than my a99.

k-hawinkler

That B&H discussion stated it has 14 stops of DR as base iso if that helps ...... this is my first a7x body so I have nothing to reference it to in the a7x line. Know it is much more than my a99.
Hmm. According to DXO the A7R has 14.1 EVs.

V

Vivek

Hi K-H, I can not quote numbers as I have no capability to quantify. I do know that the A7s is much better than the A7r. I do not accept this resizing to compare idea. Tiny pixels vs fat pixels. There is a difference and there are no two ways about it.

Ken_R

Ok, so more people are reporting about equal low iso DR in the A7RII. Big difference seems to be in the higher iso's. That should give the A7RII a much higher DXO score once they get their testing done.

dmward

Here is a THREAD I started to show how well the A7RII can be pulled down from extreme expose to the right situation.

Not sure what the math is for dynamic range but I do know that the camera will not block up shadows or clip highlights in images shot on a sunny day.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That seems to be the what we all have been reporting. 1/2 stop on DR and a lot of us think around 2 stops on ISO which puts me exactly what I was after.

iiiNelson

I find ETTL consistently produces better results (to my taste anyway) with Sony cameras (and also to an extent with my M9 when I owned it.)

algrove

HiredArm
Interesting you say that, since I too ETTL to a degree and prefer the results also and that inlcudes the M240. Do not have a Sony A7x, but a Sony sensor in my 645Z where I limit my ETTR to the 3/4's line whenever possible.