Site Sponsors

Thread: A7RII and the Loxia (35 & 50) lenses

Post Thanks / Like

A7RII and the Loxia (35 & 50) lenses

I can't quite determine if the in-body stabilization activates with Zeiss native mount lenses when the menu setting is set to AUTO or do you have to place it in manual and then set the focal length for each lens.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7RII and the Loxia (35 & 50) lenses

Quote Originally Posted by ddanois View Post
    I can't quite determine if the in-body stabilization activates with Zeiss native mount lenses when the menu setting is set to AUTO or do you have to place it in manual and then set the focal length for each lens.

Thoughts?
    They work with the auto setting. (any lens which reports its focal length via EXIF, it will automatically set the IBIS properly.)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You just to have ibis turned on regardless . It automatically is in that mode with steady shot on
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for confirming my initial instinct!

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know! I use mostly ZE lenses on the A7RII, and I thought I had to manually input the focal length. Naturally, I often forget to do it. EXIF data reports focal length on all that I've checked (even though it sometimes thinks it's a different lens), but if I read correctly, I can simply set it to "auto" and all will be well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Burk View Post
    That's good to know! I use mostly ZE lenses on the A7RII, and I thought I had to manually input the focal length. Naturally, I often forget to do it. EXIF data reports focal length on all that I've checked (even though it sometimes thinks it's a different lens), but if I read correctly, I can simply set it to "auto" and all will be well?
    Yes that is correct. I use a few Leica's along with the Loxia 35, and have a few native FE lenses. With SteadyShot (SS) set to "Auto" in the menu, the camera reads the Loxia just like a native FE lens. I have custom function button C3 set to pick the SS focal length.

Let's say I have SS set to auto with a Leica 90mm on the camera. If I push C3 I can set SS to 90mm. If I then put on a Loxia 35 and push C3, it says "this function not available with SS in auto". So it has picked 35mm automatically. Then if I install a 50mm Leica and push C3, the setting will be at 90mm (it remembers the previous manual setting). So I change that to 50mm. Then install the Loxia or any native FE lens and it goes back to auto without me doing anything.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Let's say I have SS set to auto with a Leica 90mm on the camera. If I push C3 I can set SS to 90mm. If I then put on a Loxia 35 and push C3, it says "this function not available with SS in auto". So it has picked 35mm automatically. Then if I install a 50mm Leica and push C3, the setting will be at 90mm (it remembers the previous manual setting). So I change that to 50mm. Then install the Loxia or any native FE lens and it goes back to auto without me doing anything.

Dave
    OK, thanks - but now I'm confused. I'm using ZE lenses (i.e. Zeiss with Canon mount) along with a Metabones IV adapter. Their focal lengths come up in EXIF by themselves, although the camera sometimes thinks they're different lenses of those same focal lengths.

Mike (post above) said that the camera will set the proper focal length for lenses that come up in EXIF, and I wanted to confirm that this is true for ZE (not FE) lenses, but it sounds like it's not happening with your Leicas. Do they come up by themselves in EXIF data?

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Zeiss ZE's: 35 f/2 and 25 f/2. When I mount either one with the Metabones IV and press C3, it says, "this operation or setting not available" because SS is in Auto. So yes, it reads the focal length on the Zeiss ZE (for Canon) and applies it to the SS focal length setting.

The Leica's don't work because they have a more mechanical black/white code, not electric contacts. And the Novoflex adapters I use for my Leica lenses have no electronic capabilities.

Dave

PS: Does the fact that I can test all this stuff mean I have GAS? Please don't tell me I'm as bad as Guy!!

PPS: Guy is probably thinking, "please don't tell me I'm as bad as Dave!!"
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

OK, gotcha. Thanks - that's great!