Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

I will echo David's comment about the "S" brackets. They are basically a must have and work great.

Jim

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome David . Great stuff
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Got back from shooting a wedding using the Di700a with the Cheetah/Godox external batteries.
    None of the external batteries went from 4 to 3 lights. Which means with all the shooting all the batteries have more than 3/4 capacity left. That means at least 3 weddings per charge. And, I did not have to replace the AAs in the speedlites either.

I had two problems, the first was user error. I forgot to press the on button on the external battery. No problem other than the speedlite didn't recycle quite fast enough a couple of times. That's when I realized I'd forgotten to turn on the power.

Other problem is one of the Di700as quit working. At first I thought maybe I'd got it into overheat slowdown. But it didn't feel hot. So I swapped it for another unit and kept going. Now I'll find out how good Nissin and Adorama are about warranty support.

This is the first time that a speedlite, any strobe, as quit working on its own. I've had a couple of other stop, but first I had to have them fall over in the wind or some other external trauma.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    The S brackets with either Bowens of Elinchrom mounts are a great way to mount the light on a stand.
    Thanks for pointing those out. I got some to use with with my Lastolite & Impact soft boxes and they work great. They hold the flash very firmly without having to worry about damaging the plastic foot of the flash, and add a tilt mechanism. Inexpensive too!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may have missed something. Is this system TTL?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes and supports HSS.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should see my shopping cart. 17 items and getting close to hitting the button. I m getting 2 of those S brackets actually thinking of ordering four. 2 Godox AD 360 units and just about every accessory they make.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Done

4 S brackets for all four heads 2 Nissin 2 AD 360. Total 4 heads and 3 Battery packs
    2 AD 360 systems
    3 Y cables
    1 Extension cable
    2 Newer folding soft box 24x24
    3 Light stand clips
    Grid with gels
    Godox Octagon 47 inch soft box

and something else. I need a bag to carry all heads and accessories still looking

I have umbrellas and stands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may add another head which would give me 3 AD 360 and 3 Packs and use that as really my main kit. Than use the Nissin for TTL and HSS work and i can use the Powerpacks. So Im leaning towards the extra head in the AD360

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I found a used AD360 head for 289.00 which is the same price for a new Nissin flash only at 249.00

Trying to decide either 3 Nissin or 3 Godox heads. Either way used separately I have 3 battery packs. My issue is so many different uses. Product, portraits, outside fill, groups indoors and outdoors and than on camera event crap. I have just enough leftover money to do one of them.

My one concern and maybe we should talk about it . Nissin durability, Nissin bigger unit maybe. GoDox going Sony TTL if ever but is it just the transmitter receivers that would need replacing which I could deal with but the whole unit would really make me mad after buying them. Thoughts

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know we slipped over to Godox but I think it's a great conversation since we all look at mixing our systems up with Nissin as part of our kits or the main part of them. I'm learning a ton so let's continue on. Again Jim, David, Mike and others thanks you don't know how much this has helped

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alright, I have one Air, finally. Awesome flash.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome they are really nice flashes.

Okay I have a dumb question. I shot these last week doing a groups inside and outside recycle times they did well. But what I did and not sure if it matters doing TTL was I turned the head part into the umbrella but kept the front of the flash towards the subjects. Basically flash pointing backwards. My thought was the front of the flash sees the light output and shuts it down on what light output it needs given the aperture. My question is does it have to face the front. If I use my S brackets I'm wondering if I need to get them to face the front or is the camera seeing the light and cutting of the power. Interesting question here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    But what I did and not sure if it matters doing TTL was I turned the head part into the umbrella but kept the front of the flash towards the subjects. Basically flash pointing backwards. My thought was the front of the flash sees the light output and shuts it down on what light output it needs given the aperture. My question is does it have to face the front. If I use my S brackets I'm wondering if I need to get them to face the front or is the camera seeing the light and cutting of the power.
    If you're doing TTL with the Air, it doesn't matter which way the body of the flash is pointing; all the light sensing happens in the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Mike it's what I thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I decided to get my studio setup first so I got the demo 360 head for 289 and a receiver . So 3 Godox systems. I can always add the Nissin after I get everything in place. I found a old Lightware MF case in the garage that may carry the whole kit. I think I'm set up pretty well. I gave up a 1600 watt pack which I never shot at full power, so with 3 AD 360 I should be fine. I'm excited to get all this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As Mike stated about the direction of the Nissin. It doesn't matter as the camera is measuring the light. I have used them facing both ways.

While I really like the Nissin, the power of the Godox units makes them much more versatile. They are all good units but if I could only have one it would be the Godox.

I hope they go ETTl on Sony at some point and it most likely only will require a new transmitter but that's just speculation.

On another note I bought one of the Godox to Sony power cords and tried it out last night. Godox battery and Nissin flash. Worked great and recycled very quickly. Great idea David.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I got two of those Sony cables at home just waiting in power pack today to try. Glad to hear on the Nissin can face either way. I want to use those S brackets which are more secure than those umbrella brackets. The S brackets have a umbrella slot in them

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a couple of the S brackets and use them regularly. You need to decide what modifiers you want as you can get the S brackets in different flavors. I have the Bowens mount as it is fairly universal and there are a lot of inexpensive Bowens options. You can also get it in an Elichron mount if you are in love with their "deep octa" or have Elichron modifiers already.

Last but not least here's a deal on the 360 if you need another one, $319 apparently with the appropriate discount code.
    http://flashhavoc.com/adorama-deals-...reaklight-kit/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a nice deal. I would have saved 180 dollars

Oh well. I went all Bowens mounts. Tons of options with it

I saved buying demo pack and head so it works out

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome they are really nice flashes.
    Thanks. I think I will add a few more in due course. Checked out the HSS as well. My A7r got a new lease, it looks like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine just went down. It was firing just sitting here testing with new battery than all of a sudden it went dead. The other flash is working perfectly. 2 problems I bout this 7/26 which is past 30 days. Second problem its the one with air commander. Got a gig Saturday but I can use other flash on camera.

Mine lights up and looks ready open flash button won't work nor on camera. Its a dead fish.

David was yours one of the first too come out. This unit is from I think first release

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please keep us updated on what happens with this. My units are both working. I do have a question - were the two of you using an external battery pack when your flash went down? Just looking for a common issue here.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim just sitting here in my office popped it several times with power pack than removed power pack and went flash only on manual and bam nothing with open test button. I hear it grind when I turn it on.

I just sent Nissin a later and my receipt and asked for a unit shipped overnight. Lets see how that flies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Last but not least here's a deal on the 360 if you need another one, $319 apparently with the appropriate discount code.
    ADORAMA DEALS – FLASHPOINT StreakLight 360 Kit – $319.95 – UPDATE Offer Extended! | FLASH HAVOC
    Good find. Bought one just to try even though I've too many flashes already. Thanks

Does anyone knows if using 2 trigger on 2 camera would trigger on the same flash(es)? That way I don't have to swap out or change the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Immediate response . David take note

Dear User,

Thank you for your mail and using Nissin Di700A + Air 1 Sony Kit Set.

To save the time and effort. You may test the flash unit again by install new batteries set (or doing pairing again with Air 1 with not fire with Air 1).

If the flash is still not working properly. You may contact to our local distributor for warranty service.

According to the serial no. s/n: 5629010107 on Invoice. It is Di700A + Air 1 Sony Kit Set which belongs to our local distributor MINOX USA in USA. Here is the contact information for your further action.

Minox USA.
    TEL:866-469-3080 / 603-287-4840 / FAX:603-287-4834
    P.O. Box 123 Meriden, NH 03770
    www.minox.com/usa / [email protected]

Regards,

Thank you very much.

Nissin Digital
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nissi...03086046406602
    Webiste: http://www.nissindigital.com

Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:21 AM
    To: [email protected]n.com.hk
    Subject: Contact Us(Inquiry)

Phoenix. Arizona, USA****************************************
    Where do you live?
    The name of the country you live or stay is requested to specify in your letter of question for our right contact.
    I purchased a Nissin DI700A Kit set for Sony with Air commander from B&H photo and the unit will not fire after it has been working fine. Im a working Pro and I have a shoot this Saturday and Im down a whole set here. Enclosed is my receipt from B&H photo and its after 30 days so they will have nothing to do with this at this point. I need a new unit shipped immediately and I can send this wherever it needs to go. Please let me know immediately. Thank You

Here is receipt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Minox USA is our warranty zone. I'll send this on to them tonight and see how fast they respond. This was fast

Post Thanks / Like

You may test the flash unit again by install new batteries set
    I was just about to ask if you'd tried new batteries in the flash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I actually switched holders from the good flash. I'll try it again , maybe it's having a brain fart. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
    Good find. Bought one just to try even though I've too many flashes already. Thanks

Does anyone knows if using 2 trigger on 2 camera would trigger on the same flash(es)? That way I don't have to swap out or change the trigger.
    Yes you can use two triggers , although I have not tried it but it would be like a pocket wizard .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For once i get a break in life. Minox just called me and there FedXing a brand new kit overnight to me. This flash was with the Commander so sending me a whole new unit and Ill send the defective one back. Have to say now that is customer service. Nice to see such quick response. So note that Minox is the warranty station here in the US.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome, Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very excited about there customer service. Makes me want to buy a third unit next month. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great response. Happy to see a firm with good customer service.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    I had similar experience with Minox USA.
    I did it via email since I have 4 Di700a and didn't need it right away.
    Mine was also the unit in the Air kit and early release so that may be telling.

It exhibited exactly the same characteristics. Just quit flashing. I replaced batteries but nothing. When I got home from the gig I tried it with battery pack from another unit also with no joy.

Based on their response to my Email I just sent the speedlite. Mailed it today. Will see how soon it gets turned around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamSS View Post

What I do is have a trigger on each camera if I'm using more than one, and a third trigger in my hand that I use to change the power setting per light.

If you use the power setting capability on one camera it will override the setting from the other camera. i.e. the power is set to whatever power setting the light receives from whatever trigger.

Works well for me. And it means I have a backup trigger handy if I need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    I had similar experience with Minox USA.
    I did it via email since I have 4 Di700a and didn't need it right away.
    Mine was also the unit in the Air kit and early release so that may be telling.

It exhibited exactly the same characteristics. Just quit flashing. I replaced batteries but nothing. When I got home from the gig I tried it with battery pack from another unit also with no joy.

Based on their response to my Email I just sent the speedlite. Mailed it today. Will see how soon it gets turned around.
    Might be those early units. Lets keep this out there in case another user runs into it.

Post Thanks / Like

What I do is have a trigger on each camera if I'm using more than one, and a third trigger in my hand that I use to change the power setting per light.
    I'm getting confused now. Are you talking about the Nissan Airs, or the Godoxes? If the Nissins, how do you pair to multiple controllers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Godox Mike. I wish the Nissin could do this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    ... I hope they go ETTl on Sony at some point and it most likely only will require a new transmitter but that's just speculation. ...
    Jim,
    As I understand ETTL each speedlite manufacturer has their own protocols. Including control pin placement etc. That means that every third party manufacturer has to reverse engineer the protocol for each version they choose to emulate. That naturally means engineering resources have to be justified. Unfortunately, to date Sony and Fuji haven't created enough excitement to motivate manufacturers.

I'm going to call Edward at Cheetah to see if he can generate some interest at Godox.

Update: Edward said that Godox plans to add Sony ETTL support next year.
    Last edited by dmward; 12th November 2015 at 12:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fantastic - looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Jim

Update: Edward said that Godox plans to add Sony ETTL support next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea that would make my day they having Sony TTL and HSS.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the great feedback, I just ordered the Nissan i700 Flash Kit with Air 1 commander for my A7R ll. How difficult are these to set up and use? I have a few jobs that I have to do very soon and I won't have much time to practice and setup the camera and flash to test. Are there any general recommendations or videos on getting this set up? Any tips/help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    Based on the great feedback, I just ordered the Nissan i700 Flash Kit with Air 1 commander for my A7R ll. How difficult are these to set up and use? I have a few jobs that I have to do very soon and I won't have much time to practice and setup the camera and flash to test. Are there any general recommendations or videos on getting this set up? Any tips/help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    J. Paul
    Took me 2 mins to set it up.

(in case you have difficulty with the supplied manual/instructions: http://briansmith.com/set-up-guide-n...7s-a7ii-a7rii/)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it's pretty simple . Just remember to bin flash to commander.

My new unit I got a Ups number from Minox and it is overnight. Great service

Also almost my whole GoDox kit comes today so a combination of these two flash systems is going to be awesome. But if anyone talks to Nissin our wish is receivers we can put on other flash systems so we can use our Air commanders to fire other units. That would be very useful to the combo folks of other units to work together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So with Y adapter and on manual full power into the GoDox battery pack. Recycle time is just about 1/2 second maybe not even that. Now thats quick. Holy smokes Batman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

Yes it's fast, however wait to you get back from a shoot with a few hundred shots and the battery is still almost full. The battery technology seems to be incredible.

Jim
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

... But if anyone talks to Nissin our wish is receivers we can put on other flash systems so we can use our Air commanders to fire other units. That would be very useful to the combo folks of other units to work together.
    They show the receiver for other flash units, which also has a PC port greyed out on the website page for the Air Commander. That suggests its a planned next device.

Also, if anyone is talking to Nissin recommend that the update the firmware so that two commanders can be bound to the same speedlite(s).

That's a feature that Canon has with the 600EX-RT radio system that I found really useful.
    David

dmwfotos | davidmward.photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This stuff is freaking cool. I never seen anything recycle this fast. Im waiting on big brown to roll up for all the other parts.

BTW the S brackets are the best thing going since the coming of light. Throw all that other crap away, these are the best thing going. BIG main reason for that comment is my hotshoe is not touching anything but air and if you want to screw up a speed light fast just put it in those dump umbrella brackets. This S bracket the hot shoe is out of loop and thats a good thing. Especially these Sony shoes with all the contacts in front and such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They show the receiver for other flash units, which also has a PC port greyed out on the website page for the Air Commander. That suggests its a planned next device.

Also, if anyone is talking to Nissin recommend that the update the firmware so that two commanders can be bound to the same speedlite(s).

That's a feature that Canon has with the 600EX-RT radio system that I found really useful.
    Agree David be nice to have a backup commander ready to shoot without doing the bin thing.