Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

I might just send this thread link to Nissin and Minox and get those folks reading this thread as its a awesome thread on these units.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Took me 2 mins to set it up.

(in case you have difficulty with the supplied manual/instructions: http://briansmith.com/set-up-guide-n...7s-a7ii-a7rii/)
    Thanks Vivek!
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This stuff is freaking cool. I never seen anything recycle this fast. Im waiting on big brown to roll up for all the other parts.

BTW the S brackets are the best thing going since the coming of light. Throw all that other crap away, these are the best thing going. BIG main reason for that comment is my hotshoe is not touching anything but air and if you want to screw up a speed light fast just put it in those dump umbrella brackets. This S bracket the hot shoe is out of loop and thats a good thing. Especially these Sony shoes with all the contacts in front and such.
    And there is THIS if you want to mount more than one light in a modifier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I bought a inexpensive case from Vanguard which is interior inside dimensions: (LxWxH) 17.5x12.75x6.875"

Here Amazon.com : Vanguard Divider Bag 46 Camera Bag : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo

Anyway i got everything in and really like the way it is in this bag. I did not only take the hot shoe off but you do pick up a little extra space because the profile is smaller. Honestly I would never mount this to a camera

Here are the descriptions of slots

My only basic problem is 2 folding soft boxes and 4 S brackets I got them in my light stand bag which for now is working. I would not mind a roller here. But Im thrilled and they recycle on dual power outlets like 1.5 seconds. On 1/4 power its instant

So basically I have 3 Godox and 1 nissin in the bag at all times. I leave the other Nissin and commander out in my camera bag for grip and grin stuff but can always be the 5th flash if needed. Or I can break out the two Nissin and two packs and put in a small camera bag. I have a Octagon soft box coming from China now. I want to order a folding beauty dish as well

Im really happy I pulled the trigger on this as I think its perfect for me
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So reading the ad360 manual very carefully. HSS mode is in the head and it looks like all we need is a transmitter for Sony. Most likely receivers as well. So when a Dedicated transmitter for Sony we will need to upgrade transmitter and receivers only. That's the way I'm reading the manual.

Nissin replacement came and is back in service. From one of David's comments when using both systems in tandem it looks best to use the Nissin air commander and put Ad 360 in S2 mode

Post Thanks / Like

So reading the ad360 manual very carefully. HSS mode is in the head and it looks like all we need is a transmitter for Sony. Most likely receivers as well. So when a Dedicated transmitter for Sony we will need to upgrade transmitter and receivers only. That's the way I'm reading the manual.

Nissin replacement came and is back in service. From one of David's comments when using both systems in tandem it looks best to use the Nissin air commander and put Ad 360 in S2 mode
    The Phoenix Odin should work to get the camera to HSS mode if you can find one with Sony mount.

Ideally, it will be a receiver for the Nissin Air.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    The Phoenix Odin should work to get the camera to HSS mode if you can find one with Sony mount.

Ideally, it will be a receiver for the Nissin Air.
    But the Phottix Odin is what you'll want.
    (I think that Apple's spell checker got you there!)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    But the Phottix Odin is what you'll want.
    (I think that Apple's spell checker got you there!)
    If I was a better speller I'd turn it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a nice talk with Tom at Minox USA about my Di700a that failed.
    It's the same failure that Guy reported.
    He said that they have been having some problems with the first batch of units. Nothing consistent enough to justify a recall. He is going to look at my unit and see if its something that can be fixed. They are waiting for a shipment so there is no stock for immediate turn around.

Guy probably got the last one they had in stock. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good and bad news it seems. I feel bad David. Mine worked a charm Saturday though so hopefully it was the first batch only. OT got the Godox Octagon soft box and its a beauty but I noticed this in others which makes it a real pain to setup. They have the little pocket for the wands at the tipoff the soft box but they all seem to fail to put some loops at the top so the wands just don't fly around all over the place. I decided to run to Ace hardware and get some male and female velcro. Put a sticky male on the box than wrap it with the female side that way they just stay in place when I knock it down and roll it up.

My biggest dilemma is more a rolling carry case . I need about 38 inches long and 12x12.
    Im thinking of this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Im still in debate. If anyone has any ideas on something decent let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

We probably should start another thread about Godox and modifier options.
    I like to use the umbrella frame modifiers ala Apollo. I've been buy knock-offs because the early Apollos had U channel metal ribs that failed quite easily. With the knock-offs I found that I could put fiberglas rods in the channel and tape them in place to minimize failure.

They fit nicely into the umbrella mount that attaches to the head of the strobe. I put them on a Justin clamp that has a ball head with cold shoe. The provides enough off set so I can tilt it down at least 45* maybe more.

Not sure which Godox octa you got The only one I have is the small one that fits onto the head like a reflector. I think its about 16".

For larger, either the umbrella frame approach or Fotodiox EZ-PRO. They are soft boxes that fold like an umbrella with a speedring adapter so they will fit on the S bracket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Softbox

I like the folding options as well with a Bowens mount. I like the ones from Phottix as well as the Fotodiox EZ-PRO. I also have a 37" octa from SP Systems that works great.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

This site is always informative.
    I use the Nissin, and have had one of my 3 units, shoe foot break, that the warranty will replace.Great customer service..in my humble opinion.

Also..always thought of going a bit more portable.
    Thanks to Mr Guy's post...and the post with the discount code for the Adorama branded models, I now have 3-360s headed my direction. I think it will be fantastic easy traveling kit.
    I appreciate all those that share the opinions, and help others with work arounds, and helpful info.
    Everyone have a blessed day.
    Cheers,
    KEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ken. I know we drifted on to the AD 360 lighting as well but I know for myself this will be a combination with both systems or one for a certain job and another for another certain job. I know I am the culprit for including both systems but I also feel it gave us some great info and Im going to change the title to include the AD 360 as well. To me this is why we are here to learn all we can to accomplish the end goal of getting the systems in place we need. I think some very important guidance and also learning of Nissin customer service and the functionality to get these to work as a great TTL/HSS wireless system but also combine a more traditional lighting of the AD360 to work in combination with the Nissin. So end of day its all good to me at least and I think the members would agree and also I want to personally thank everyone as this helped me a great deal. When I can learn something from other members with all my years than I know that same info helped a boat load of others. Again maybe the best thread on GetDPI ever. So keep it going

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM KEN View Post
    This site is always informative.
    I use the Nissin, and have had one of my 3 units, shoe foot break, that the warranty will replace.Great customer service..in my humble opinion.

Also..always thought of going a bit more portable.
    Thanks to Mr Guy's post...and the post with the discount code for the Adorama branded models, I now have 3-360s headed my direction. I think it will be fantastic easy traveling kit.
    I appreciate all those that share the opinions, and help others with work arounds, and helpful info.
    Everyone have a blessed day.
    Cheers,
    KEN
    +1 to that!

This is one of the shining examples (literally!) of this forum/people.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

The Flashpoint came yesterday. Very very nice.
    I suspected that it's going to good and ordered another last Saturday due to arrives tomorrow.
    Also ordered a bunch of accessories. Better to have than not when needed.

1x Godox PB960 Power Pack USB Power Cable Conversion (tap to power pack to charge electronics, phone, tablets...ect.)
    1x Godox FG-40 Flash Grip Hot Shoe Professional Flash Handle Grip
    1x Godox CX high insulation Power Cable for CANON
    1x Godox AD-S9 Snoot with Honeycomb Grid
    1x Godox AD-S11 Color Filter Gel Pack with Honeycomb Grid
    2x Godox AD-S15 Aluminum alloy high quality Flash Lamp Tube Bulb Protector
    2x Godox AD-S17 Wide Angle Soft Focus Shade Diffuser
    2x Godox DB-02 Cable Y Adapter 2 to 1 for PROPAC Power Pack PB960
    2x PRO Godox S-Type Durable plastics Bracket Bowens Mount Holder

a7 + Sigma 35 Art @ f2.8
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone give me advice on which cord I need to connect one of my Godox batteries , to my Nissan DI700?
    And suggest a good place to get it, please.
    Thanks in advance.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM KEN View Post
    Can someone give me advice on which cord I need to connect one of my Godox batteries , to my Nissan DI700?
    This is the one I got - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGLTGMI

Post Thanks / Like

I got a replacement unit from Minox for the one that quit flashing. It arrived Friday so I had 4 units for my wedding job Saturday. I ended up doing the job with a single Di700a either in hotshoe bounced or in an S bracket through an umbrella with Air on camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    One thing I've found with these cords is that they are a bit short and the coiling is quite strong. The result is that the plug can pull out of the battery or the flash. The way to keep it in the battery is to be sure to engage the lock around the plug. The way to keep it in the speedlite is to loop it around the lens to take the pulling pressure off the plug. I put the battery on my belt on my left side. As I'm writing this I realize that if I put the battery on my right side it would also help to minimize pulling tension that loosens the plug from the speedlite.

With Canon I found some cables from Paramount that solved the problem because they are longer and not as tightly coiled. I've looked but apparently they don't make a cable for Sony.

I did notice there is a Phottix cable for Sony that looks to be lighter weight. I may get one of those to try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let us know David. Have not looked but wondering if Quantam has a small extension from pack to plug . That would give the coil some extra length even 2 ft would be good. l will search.

Post Thanks / Like

Dropped the battery cage for the Di700a Saturday while changing batteries. The sliding door snapped off. I was able to get it to slide into place and hold the battery cage in and the flash worked fine.

I just ordered 5 of the battery holders. They are inexpensive and It's easier to have a set pre-loaded than to have to fumble replacing batteries in a dimly lit venue.

HERE is link. I see they call it a magazine rather than a cage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a Interfit 40 inch folding beauty dish today and what a great idea these are. It's very nice. I actually think at this point I got everything I need. Did I just say that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The folding beauty dish looks good. I have a similar but smaller one that works great.

I DO NOT believe you are done

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW after further playing with the Godox octagon soft box it's just a bitch to setup and down. Luckily it was only 36 dollars so I'll just park it for studio use only. I'll use the folding beauty dish from Interfit I just got. I'll get a link in case anyone is looking

Amazon.com : Interfit Photographic INT783 40" White Foldable Beauty Dish, S-Type Fitting (Black/White) : Camera & Photo

Post Thanks / Like

I'll use the folding beauty dish from Interfit I just got. I'll get a link in case anyone is looking
    Have you tried it with the Nissin, or just the Godox? Think the Nissin puts out enough light to be useful with the dish?

Why is the internal mechanism so complex? I can't tell from the photos what's going on there.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Guy;
    That is the same as a collapsable beauty dish that Cheetahstand offers.
    I have one. HERE is a comparison I did with two other beauty dishes I had at the time I got it from Edward.

Mike, it looks complex but its really easy to unfold. There are thumb tabs on the links that are pressed out to tighten the fabric and pressed in to collapse it for transport.

My only real crip is that it has those flimsy spring wire attachments for the disk.

I use it often with speedlites and S bracket. CL-360 with S bracket or directly onto CL600 with S mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, still dialing in my Nissin Di700 and haven't had much time to concentrate on it but it seems I am having to re-sync the flash with the Air 1 commander every time I use it. I was doing a shoot the other day and I finally got it to work but not quite sure what I did. Surely I am doing something wrong. Secondly, I am not grasping how to change/reduce the power of the flash. This seems far different than my Canon Speedlights. Any tips on getting up and running quickly would be appreciated. I normally have time to figure this stuff out but it looks like I have been drafted in to shooting some holiday photos for family and friends......ugh.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed that I have to resync a speedlite every once in a while. Not sure why.
    It really doesn't take much just the double button press on the speedlite and commander.

Changing power via the commander make sure that the A, B or C is flashing that corresponds to the group of the speedlite, then use the dial to increase or decrease power. The power setting shows on both the light and the commander.

Pressing the button in the middle of the dial cycles through the groups. A, B, C then all three.

The All Groups option is nice once ratio is setup for changing overall flash exposure. This works in TTL or M modes.
    David

dmwfotos | davidmward.photography

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this VIDEO on another site.
    I got a set of the Pixel Kings for Sony, along with the hotshoe adapter, and have tested them with the Godox/Cheetah lights in H mode. Works just as it did with my Canon kit.

Useful tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David you have links for me to buy. TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    I've noticed that I have to resync a speedlite every once in a while. Not sure why.
    It really doesn't take much just the double button press on the speedlite and commander.

Changing power via the commander make sure that the A, B or C is flashing that corresponds to the group of the speedlite, then use the dial to increase or decrease power. The power setting shows on both the light and the commander.

Pressing the button in the middle of the dial cycles through the groups. A, B, C then all three.

The All Groups option is nice once ratio is setup for changing overall flash exposure. This works in TTL or M modes.
    David, this is most helpful. Thanks so much!
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the results of a quick test with the Pixel Kings and Cheetah/Godox 360.

The light was set to H mode and ISO 100, F 1.8 with Batis 85. As you can see from the dark background its not a sunny day outside here in Chicago.

As usual, Manny was happy to pose for these test shots.

I checked the white and black squares for exposure and contrast. .5EV exposure and mild-contrast curve to get them where they should be; black about 14% and white about 93%.

The light was in a Cheetah Collapsible white beauty dish with diffusion panel in place. the light stand was probably 4 feet from Manny. About where I'd put it for a headshot.

This one is with light at 1:1 Shutter is 1/8000

Name:  DSC03167.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  101.5 KB

This one is with light at minimum H mode power 1:8. Shutter is 1/500

Name:  DSC03179.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  109.2 KB

In this kind of situation the tendency for some gradation across the image to affect the image is minimized.

If one has the Cheetah/Godox lights the $125 investment in the Pixel triggers is well worth it. At least for me.

I also did the test with a Cheetah Light 600. The 360, although half the full power output was more efficient in H mode since it uses the high freq pulsing while the 600 is illuminating with the tail of the flash power curve "HyperSync" style. The 600 might be more efficient if the Pixel could be tuned for optimum timing.

Post Thanks / Like

David you have links for me to buy. TIA
    HERE is an Amazon link to triggers.

HERE is Amazon link to the hot shoe adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im really confused by this product is this a new version with hot shoe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIXEL-KING-E...cAAOSwAKxWVfL-

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Avoid. It is very similar to the Phottix crap I wasted my money on. There is no real TTL! It is "through TTL". An expensive flash extension!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Avoid. It is very similar to the Phottix crap I wasted my money on. There is no real TTL! It is "through TTL". An expensive flash extension!
    Yea I had a bad feeling about it

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nissin is the only game in town. Works fine with the RXR1 II as well.

Post Thanks / Like

The picture in that link is the Canon version. HERE is a link with the picture of the Sony shoed version. That's why the adapter to the new version hotshoe is required.
    There is a PC to mini-jack cable that plugs into the Cheetah/Godox mini-jack sync connection.

The links I posted are from my order history on Amazon. They are the items I used for the test. Works like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

HERE is a blog post I just put up about doing headshots with Nissin Di700a and Commander. I used three Di700a speedlites in M mode. Camera was A7RII with Batis 85 F1.8.

This is the first time I tried Face Detect Auto Focus. What a pleasant surprise. It never missed. Now I have to figure out how to do eye auto focus.
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what "through TTL" is. The purpose, at least for me, using the Pixel Kings is to have a trigger on the camera that communicates to the camera that it has an HSS capable flash unit in the hot shoe. This permits selecting shutter speeds greater than X Sync and also has the camera send the fire signal based on FP sync rather than X sync. The result is ability to use strobes in either "HyperSync" or H mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea it be nice to use the AD360 in HSS mode for when I need more power than the Nissin in that mode. I'll pick up that trigger as well just to have that option. Be good for like groups and the Nissin is good for more single person work cause you can get the flash closer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a family to shoot outside tomorrow and I'll go with the Godox for it but bringing my Nissin too in case I change my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a family to shoot outside tomorrow and I'll go with the Godox for it but bringing my Nissin too in case I change my mind.
    Guy,

This was shot with two Di700a speedlites inside an umbrella frame softbox:

The camera and lights were set to HSS. I don't remember exactly what the setting were but I think it was firing in HSS.

Not quite the same as AZ sun but still bright.

I do love the Sony A7RII for large rich files that can be processed without concern.

I have a collection of ND filters but have never found them to be a practical solution when shooting weddings and portrait sessions.

This was shot with a Canon 5DIII, Cells IIc trigger in H mode on a bright sunny day. Now, with Pixel King triggers we can do the same thing with an A7RII.
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David, these look great. I just have not shot with th GoDox yet and want to try them but your right the Nissin would be better. I'm worried about power output 15 people . I do want those triggers though for the Godox than it would be far easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David, these look great. I just have not shot with th GoDox yet and want to try them but your right the Nissin would be better. I'm worried about power output 15 people . I do want those triggers though for the Godox than it would be far easier.
    Guy,
    15 people are a challenge.

HERE is one shot with a single 360 and the ambient light.

This was shot at normal X sync speed. I may have stopped down a bit which is normal for a larger group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

For 15 people I would go with the 360. The Nissin are great lights but they are not powerhouses.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, if you have a chance, could you grab a shot or two of your light setup for this shoot? I'm curious how you arrange it.