The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow we now have a wireless setup made for Sonys new hot shoe. Works great on camera than with there Air 1 commander we can do wirless off camera work. Like the Phottix Mitros this is one of the very few setups where you can do wirless. I just got it today and just sitting on the couch getting through this. Lots to figure out but I can confirm it works and you get the Air 1 and flash for 299. Than you can buy the flash alone so you can add 1 or 2 more.

You should look it up at B&H a read more about. Camera you set in menu flash on WL (wireless) setting.

This is pretty freaking cool. About time to

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

Air commander and flash also have locks built in and they work great on the cameras hot shoe

dmward

Saw the Nissin Air a couple awhile back but didn't see the combination until your post.

I just ordered to test.

It appears to be similar to the Canon 600EX-RT system that I had with my 5DIIIs.

That was an outstanding system. I hope the Nissin Air proves to be as useful.

Would like to have the Gr mode and more groups as with the Canon but this is a big step in the proper direction.

Zlatko Batistich

How is the AF assist light on the Di700a? The reason I ask is that I found the AF assist light on the Nissin i40 flash to be too annoyingly bright, not as subtle as the AF assist light on Canon flashes.

rweissman

Wow we now have a wireless setup made for Sonys new hot shoe. Works great on camera than with there Air 1 commander we can do wirless off camera work. Like the Phottix Mitros this is one of the very few setups where you can do wirless. I just got it today and just sitting on the couch getting through this. Lots to figure out but I can confirm it works and you get the Air 1 and flash for 299. Than you can buy the flash alone so you can add 1 or 2 more.

You should look it up at B&H a read more about. Camera you set in menu flash on WL (wireless) setting.

This is pretty freaking cool. About time to
I've been really happy with my Nissin/Sony Air flash setup, too. Rumor has it that they'll soon be shipping an accessory wireless TTL equipped hot shoe/foot for some of their other flashes (like the i40) which enable the Air 1 Commander to control all the flashes, and, I assume, still maintain TTL. I've heard about this from their rep and have also seen product diagrams posted online--so it seems real.

I first discovered Nissin via their MG (Machine Gun) 8000 flash for Canon, which really never gives up and doesn't have the kind of overheating problem that most flashes have. Then I bought an i40 (finally, a real flash for Fuji).

Apart from the el cheapo construction of some of their flashes (pretty weak foot on the i40), I've been very pleased with Nissin.

V

Vivek

Great! Unlike Sony cams, it is priced better here (EU) as well! :thumbs:

Guy, Would love to see some HSS shots using this.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I need to set something up and give this a go through but it looks very workable. Love to get a couple more at some point. Be nice for some light duty work. There is mention of a external battery pack too. Need to look that up as well. Now if I can get the studio lights to work in conjunction with it that be really something.

dmward

The B&H link now shows its a pre-order item.

Guy, I got a Phottix Mitros+ and Strato II multi to fire my strobes with a TTL fill on camera.
It took awhile for the Mitros+ to show up, on back order for a couple of months.
Haven't used it for a job yet but the test worked without a problem.

The hybrid strobes I have (Godox/Cheetah) have an H mode similar to High Speed Sync. Will be interesting to see if that works. It should.

I'll give them a test.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I grew tired of waiting on Phottix. I saw this and seemed very similar operationally. Plus it is a bit cheaper. Big issue is waiting on receiver only from them and I could use on studio strobes or other Nissin units

JMaher

The Odin works fine in HSS (or equivalent) with my Godox 360, etc. The Mitros+ should do the same.

Jim

dmward

Jim,
I got Pixel King triggers for Sony to use with Godox. They work fine. The Mitros + I anticipate will work without a problem. I am delaying the Odin purchase until the V2 unit is deliverable so I can also use it with their new TTL strobes. That may be awhile. :(

I just got an email from Adorama saying that the Nissin Air kit is shipping tonight.

So I'll have them in time to do some testing before a wedding on the 22nd.

I used Nissin Di866s with Pocket Wizard ControlTL stuff. They worked much better than Canon 580EXIIs.

They had a remote battery plug that used the same battery packs I had for Canon so that was helpful.

I do wish Nissin and everyone else would follow Godox's lead with the internal Lithium Ion battery. That is such an improvement over AAs.

JMaher

Please keep us up to date on how the Nissin works out for you. I am tempted to try them out just to see how well they work.

Guy Mancuso

Will do, I'm just hiding from the great outdoors at 112 screaming degrees. It's so freaking hot here right now, it's not fit for dirt even.

dmward

Will do, I'm just hiding from the great outdoors at 112 screaming degrees. It's so freaking hot here right now, it's not fit for dirt even.
Sounds like ideal conditions to go into a dark air conditioned room and test speedlites. :)

dmward

Nissin Air 1 and two Di700s showed up this afternoon via UPS.
Just did some experimenting.
The Di700 works as an on camera flash as expected.
More importantly, the two Di700s work in groups doing TTL with FEC on a per group basis as one would expect.

This is essentially the same as the Canon 600EX-RT system using the ST-E3-RT on the camera.

What I have not been able to figure out, although the manual implies that it won't work, is using a Di700 as a master on camera with other Di700s in groups B and C off camera. That, for me, is ideal for event shooting.

More testing to come.

tn1krr

What I have not been able to figure out, although the manual implies that it won't work, is using a Di700 as a master on camera with other Di700s in groups B and C off camera. That, for me, is ideal for event shooting.
Looks like the Di700A is receiver only when used with RF and Air1 is always needed on camera. The Di700A's can act as optical slaves for a Sony system master flash, but I'm not fan of optical setups. Having on-camera flash acting as master flash for Radio seems to be an area where Phottix Mitros+ based system will have will have an edge. That, and already having receivers that can take existing Sony system flashes.

Guy Mancuso

The biggest issue I had with Sony flashes was there was never a way to sync with my Dynamite studio strobes. Well problem hugely solved. If you take the the flash and put it on SF it turns it into a optical slave. So using your studio lights can fire your Nissan without stupid wires and wein optical slaves attached( i just retired those slaves Yahoo). Folks this is huge as I have that extra light now when I need it and its easy to just flip to SF and adjust the power. Very useful when doing product work and you need that little kick light or even interiors sticking 2, 3,4 of these units behind a plant.

HSS well it freaking works. I did this with Flash on camera and now trying to figure how to do it off camera

I don't have a human handy but any good tree will give you good face. LOL

1/4000 at F4. I had the Batis 25 on.

I maybe buying more of these units

Guy Mancuso

Well when in doubt do a bloody selfie. LOL

So off camera flash with Air 1 commander just hold pilot light 3 seconds on Air commander than you can dial in your shutter speeds. Could not be easier

1/5000 at F4

Guy Mancuso

Need to take that bloody 25mm off my camera. I got a nose the size of the Grand Canyon there. LOL