The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

For once i get a break in life. Minox just called me and there FedXing a brand new kit overnight to me. This flash was with the Commander so sending me a whole new unit and Ill send the defective one back. Have to say now that is customer service. Nice to see such quick response. So note that Minox is the warranty station here in the US.

Guy Mancuso

Very excited about there customer service. Makes me want to buy a third unit next month. LOL

JMaher

Great response. Happy to see a firm with good customer service.

Jim

dmward

Guy,
I had similar experience with Minox USA.
I did it via email since I have 4 Di700a and didn't need it right away.
Mine was also the unit in the Air kit and early release so that may be telling.

It exhibited exactly the same characteristics. Just quit flashing. I replaced batteries but nothing. When I got home from the gig I tried it with battery pack from another unit also with no joy.

Based on their response to my Email I just sent the speedlite. Mailed it today. Will see how soon it gets turned around.

dmward

Good find. Bought one just to try even though I've too many flashes already. Thanks

Does anyone knows if using 2 trigger on 2 camera would trigger on the same flash(es)? That way I don't have to swap out or change the trigger.
What I do is have a trigger on each camera if I'm using more than one, and a third trigger in my hand that I use to change the power setting per light.

If you use the power setting capability on one camera it will override the setting from the other camera. i.e. the power is set to whatever power setting the light receives from whatever trigger.

Works well for me. And it means I have a backup trigger handy if I need it.

Guy Mancuso

Guy,
I had similar experience with Minox USA.
I did it via email since I have 4 Di700a and didn't need it right away.
Mine was also the unit in the Air kit and early release so that may be telling.

It exhibited exactly the same characteristics. Just quit flashing. I replaced batteries but nothing. When I got home from the gig I tried it with battery pack from another unit also with no joy.

Based on their response to my Email I just sent the speedlite. Mailed it today. Will see how soon it gets turned around.
Might be those early units. Lets keep this out there in case another user runs into it.

What I do is have a trigger on each camera if I'm using more than one, and a third trigger in my hand that I use to change the power setting per light.
I'm getting confused now. Are you talking about the Nissan Airs, or the Godoxes? If the Nissins, how do you pair to multiple controllers?

dmward

... I hope they go ETTl on Sony at some point and it most likely only will require a new transmitter but that's just speculation. ...
Jim,
As I understand ETTL each speedlite manufacturer has their own protocols. Including control pin placement etc. That means that every third party manufacturer has to reverse engineer the protocol for each version they choose to emulate. That naturally means engineering resources have to be justified. Unfortunately, to date Sony and Fuji haven't created enough excitement to motivate manufacturers.

I'm going to call Edward at Cheetah to see if he can generate some interest at Godox.

Update: Edward said that Godox plans to add Sony ETTL support next year.

Last edited:

jpaulmoore

Based on the great feedback, I just ordered the Nissan i700 Flash Kit with Air 1 commander for my A7R ll. How difficult are these to set up and use? I have a few jobs that I have to do very soon and I won't have much time to practice and setup the camera and flash to test. Are there any general recommendations or videos on getting this set up? Any tips/help would be appreciated.
Regards,
J. Paul

V

Vivek

Based on the great feedback, I just ordered the Nissan i700 Flash Kit with Air 1 commander for my A7R ll. How difficult are these to set up and use? I have a few jobs that I have to do very soon and I won't have much time to practice and setup the camera and flash to test. Are there any general recommendations or videos on getting this set up? Any tips/help would be appreciated.
Regards,
J. Paul
Took me 2 mins to set it up.

(in case you have difficulty with the supplied manual/instructions: http://briansmith.com/set-up-guide-nissin-di700a-flash-air-1-commander-sony-a7-a7r-a7s-a7ii-a7rii/)

Guy Mancuso

Yes it's pretty simple . Just remember to bin flash to commander.

My new unit I got a Ups number from Minox and it is overnight. Great service

Also almost my whole GoDox kit comes today so a combination of these two flash systems is going to be awesome. But if anyone talks to Nissin our wish is receivers we can put on other flash systems so we can use our Air commanders to fire other units. That would be very useful to the combo folks of other units to work together.

Guy Mancuso

So with Y adapter and on manual full power into the GoDox battery pack. Recycle time is just about 1/2 second maybe not even that. Now thats quick. Holy smokes Batman

JMaher

Guy,

Yes it's fast, however wait to you get back from a shoot with a few hundred shots and the battery is still almost full. The battery technology seems to be incredible.

Jim

dmward

... But if anyone talks to Nissin our wish is receivers we can put on other flash systems so we can use our Air commanders to fire other units. That would be very useful to the combo folks of other units to work together.
They show the receiver for other flash units, which also has a PC port greyed out on the website page for the Air Commander. That suggests its a planned next device.

Also, if anyone is talking to Nissin recommend that the update the firmware so that two commanders can be bound to the same speedlite(s).

That's a feature that Canon has with the 600EX-RT radio system that I found really useful.

Guy Mancuso

This stuff is freaking cool. I never seen anything recycle this fast. Im waiting on big brown to roll up for all the other parts.

BTW the S brackets are the best thing going since the coming of light. Throw all that other crap away, these are the best thing going. BIG main reason for that comment is my hotshoe is not touching anything but air and if you want to screw up a speed light fast just put it in those dump umbrella brackets. This S bracket the hot shoe is out of loop and thats a good thing. Especially these Sony shoes with all the contacts in front and such.

Guy Mancuso

They show the receiver for other flash units, which also has a PC port greyed out on the website page for the Air Commander. That suggests its a planned next device.

Also, if anyone is talking to Nissin recommend that the update the firmware so that two commanders can be bound to the same speedlite(s).

That's a feature that Canon has with the 600EX-RT radio system that I found really useful.
Agree David be nice to have a backup commander ready to shoot without doing the bin thing.