The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

dmward

One thing I've found with these cords is that they are a bit short and the coiling is quite strong. The result is that the plug can pull out of the battery or the flash. The way to keep it in the battery is to be sure to engage the lock around the plug. The way to keep it in the speedlite is to loop it around the lens to take the pulling pressure off the plug. I put the battery on my belt on my left side. As I'm writing this I realize that if I put the battery on my right side it would also help to minimize pulling tension that loosens the plug from the speedlite.

With Canon I found some cables from Paramount that solved the problem because they are longer and not as tightly coiled. I've looked but apparently they don't make a cable for Sony.

I did notice there is a Phottix cable for Sony that looks to be lighter weight. I may get one of those to try.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Let us know David. Have not looked but wondering if Quantam has a small extension from pack to plug . That would give the coil some extra length even 2 ft would be good. l will search.

dmward

Dropped the battery cage for the Di700a Saturday while changing batteries. The sliding door snapped off. I was able to get it to slide into place and hold the battery cage in and the flash worked fine.

I just ordered 5 of the battery holders. They are inexpensive and It's easier to have a set pre-loaded than to have to fumble replacing batteries in a dimly lit venue.

HERE is link. I see they call it a magazine rather than a cage.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I got a Interfit 40 inch folding beauty dish today and what a great idea these are. It's very nice. I actually think at this point I got everything I need. Did I just say that.

JMaher

The folding beauty dish looks good. I have a similar but smaller one that works great.

I DO NOT believe you are done :)

Jim

I'll use the folding beauty dish from Interfit I just got. I'll get a link in case anyone is looking
Have you tried it with the Nissin, or just the Godox? Think the Nissin puts out enough light to be useful with the dish?

Why is the internal mechanism so complex? I can't tell from the photos what's going on there.

dmward

Mike, Guy;
That is the same as a collapsable beauty dish that Cheetahstand offers.
I have one. HERE is a comparison I did with two other beauty dishes I had at the time I got it from Edward.

Mike, it looks complex but its really easy to unfold. There are thumb tabs on the links that are pressed out to tighten the fabric and pressed in to collapse it for transport.

My only real crip is that it has those flimsy spring wire attachments for the disk.

I use it often with speedlites and S bracket. CL-360 with S bracket or directly onto CL600 with S mount.

jpaulmoore

Hello all, still dialing in my Nissin Di700 and haven't had much time to concentrate on it but it seems I am having to re-sync the flash with the Air 1 commander every time I use it. I was doing a shoot the other day and I finally got it to work but not quite sure what I did. Surely I am doing something wrong. Secondly, I am not grasping how to change/reduce the power of the flash. This seems far different than my Canon Speedlights. Any tips on getting up and running quickly would be appreciated. I normally have time to figure this stuff out but it looks like I have been drafted in to shooting some holiday photos for family and friends......ugh.
Regards,
J. Paul

dmward

I've noticed that I have to resync a speedlite every once in a while. Not sure why.
It really doesn't take much just the double button press on the speedlite and commander.

Changing power via the commander make sure that the A, B or C is flashing that corresponds to the group of the speedlite, then use the dial to increase or decrease power. The power setting shows on both the light and the commander.

Pressing the button in the middle of the dial cycles through the groups. A, B, C then all three.

The All Groups option is nice once ratio is setup for changing overall flash exposure. This works in TTL or M modes.

dmward

Saw this VIDEO on another site.
I got a set of the Pixel Kings for Sony, along with the hotshoe adapter, and have tested them with the Godox/Cheetah lights in H mode. Works just as it did with my Canon kit.

Useful tool.

jpaulmoore

I've noticed that I have to resync a speedlite every once in a while. Not sure why.
It really doesn't take much just the double button press on the speedlite and commander.

Changing power via the commander make sure that the A, B or C is flashing that corresponds to the group of the speedlite, then use the dial to increase or decrease power. The power setting shows on both the light and the commander.

Pressing the button in the middle of the dial cycles through the groups. A, B, C then all three.

The All Groups option is nice once ratio is setup for changing overall flash exposure. This works in TTL or M modes.
David, this is most helpful. Thanks so much!
J. Paul

dmward

Here are the results of a quick test with the Pixel Kings and Cheetah/Godox 360.

The light was set to H mode and ISO 100, F 1.8 with Batis 85. As you can see from the dark background its not a sunny day outside here in Chicago.

As usual, Manny was happy to pose for these test shots.

I checked the white and black squares for exposure and contrast. .5EV exposure and mild-contrast curve to get them where they should be; black about 14% and white about 93%.

The light was in a Cheetah Collapsible white beauty dish with diffusion panel in place. the light stand was probably 4 feet from Manny. About where I'd put it for a headshot.

This one is with light at 1:1 Shutter is 1/8000

DSC03167.jpg

This one is with light at minimum H mode power 1:8. Shutter is 1/500

DSC03179.jpg

In this kind of situation the tendency for some gradation across the image to affect the image is minimized.

If one has the Cheetah/Godox lights the $125 investment in the Pixel triggers is well worth it. At least for me.

I also did the test with a Cheetah Light 600. The 360, although half the full power output was more efficient in H mode since it uses the high freq pulsing while the 600 is illuminating with the tail of the flash power curve "HyperSync" style. The 600 might be more efficient if the Pixel could be tuned for optimum timing.

V

Vivek

Nissin is the only game in town. Works fine with the RXR1 II as well. :)