Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 283

Thread: A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

  1. #1
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Lightbulb A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

    Wow we now have a wireless setup made for Sonys new hot shoe. Works great on camera than with there Air 1 commander we can do wirless off camera work. Like the Phottix Mitros this is one of the very few setups where you can do wirless. I just got it today and just sitting on the couch getting through this. Lots to figure out but I can confirm it works and you get the Air 1 and flash for 299. Than you can buy the flash alone so you can add 1 or 2 more.

    You should look it up at B&H a read more about. Camera you set in menu flash on WL (wireless) setting.

    This is pretty freaking cool. About time to
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 17th November 2015 at 06:29. Reason: New Title
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Air commander and flash also have locks built in and they work great on the cameras hot shoe
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  3. #3
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Saw the Nissin Air a couple awhile back but didn't see the combination until your post.

    I just ordered to test.

    It appears to be similar to the Canon 600EX-RT system that I had with my 5DIIIs.

    That was an outstanding system. I hope the Nissin Air proves to be as useful.

    Would like to have the Gr mode and more groups as with the Canon but this is a big step in the proper direction.

  5. #5
    Member Zlatko Batistich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cresskill, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    How is the AF assist light on the Di700a? The reason I ask is that I found the AF assist light on the Nissin i40 flash to be too annoyingly bright, not as subtle as the AF assist light on Canon flashes.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Wow we now have a wireless setup made for Sonys new hot shoe. Works great on camera than with there Air 1 commander we can do wirless off camera work. Like the Phottix Mitros this is one of the very few setups where you can do wirless. I just got it today and just sitting on the couch getting through this. Lots to figure out but I can confirm it works and you get the Air 1 and flash for 299. Than you can buy the flash alone so you can add 1 or 2 more.

    You should look it up at B&H a read more about. Camera you set in menu flash on WL (wireless) setting.

    This is pretty freaking cool. About time to
    I've been really happy with my Nissin/Sony Air flash setup, too. Rumor has it that they'll soon be shipping an accessory wireless TTL equipped hot shoe/foot for some of their other flashes (like the i40) which enable the Air 1 Commander to control all the flashes, and, I assume, still maintain TTL. I've heard about this from their rep and have also seen product diagrams posted online--so it seems real.

    I first discovered Nissin via their MG (Machine Gun) 8000 flash for Canon, which really never gives up and doesn't have the kind of overheating problem that most flashes have. Then I bought an i40 (finally, a real flash for Fuji).

    Apart from the el cheapo construction of some of their flashes (pretty weak foot on the i40), I've been very pleased with Nissin.

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Great! Unlike Sony cams, it is priced better here (EU) as well!

    Guy, Would love to see some HSS shots using this.

  8. #8
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Yea I need to set something up and give this a go through but it looks very workable. Love to get a couple more at some point. Be nice for some light duty work. There is mention of a external battery pack too. Need to look that up as well. Now if I can get the studio lights to work in conjunction with it that be really something.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    The B&H link now shows its a pre-order item.

    Guy, I got a Phottix Mitros+ and Strato II multi to fire my strobes with a TTL fill on camera.
    It took awhile for the Mitros+ to show up, on back order for a couple of months.
    Haven't used it for a job yet but the test worked without a problem.

    The hybrid strobes I have (Godox/Cheetah) have an H mode similar to High Speed Sync. Will be interesting to see if that works. It should.

    I'll give them a test.

  10. #10
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Yea I grew tired of waiting on Phottix. I saw this and seemed very similar operationally. Plus it is a bit cheaper. Big issue is waiting on receiver only from them and I could use on studio strobes or other Nissin units
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    The Odin works fine in HSS (or equivalent) with my Godox 360, etc. The Mitros+ should do the same.

    Jim

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Jim,
    I got Pixel King triggers for Sony to use with Godox. They work fine. The Mitros + I anticipate will work without a problem. I am delaying the Odin purchase until the V2 unit is deliverable so I can also use it with their new TTL strobes. That may be awhile.

    I just got an email from Adorama saying that the Nissin Air kit is shipping tonight.

    So I'll have them in time to do some testing before a wedding on the 22nd.

    I used Nissin Di866s with Pocket Wizard ControlTL stuff. They worked much better than Canon 580EXIIs.

    They had a remote battery plug that used the same battery packs I had for Canon so that was helpful.

    I do wish Nissin and everyone else would follow Godox's lead with the internal Lithium Ion battery. That is such an improvement over AAs.

  13. #13
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Please keep us up to date on how the Nissin works out for you. I am tempted to try them out just to see how well they work.

  14. #14
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Will do, I'm just hiding from the great outdoors at 112 screaming degrees. It's so freaking hot here right now, it's not fit for dirt even.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Will do, I'm just hiding from the great outdoors at 112 screaming degrees. It's so freaking hot here right now, it's not fit for dirt even.
    Sounds like ideal conditions to go into a dark air conditioned room and test speedlites. :-)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Nissin Air 1 and two Di700s showed up this afternoon via UPS.
    Just did some experimenting.
    The Di700 works as an on camera flash as expected.
    More importantly, the two Di700s work in groups doing TTL with FEC on a per group basis as one would expect.

    This is essentially the same as the Canon 600EX-RT system using the ST-E3-RT on the camera.

    What I have not been able to figure out, although the manual implies that it won't work, is using a Di700 as a master on camera with other Di700s in groups B and C off camera. That, for me, is ideal for event shooting.

    More testing to come.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    What I have not been able to figure out, although the manual implies that it won't work, is using a Di700 as a master on camera with other Di700s in groups B and C off camera. That, for me, is ideal for event shooting.
    Looks like the Di700A is receiver only when used with RF and Air1 is always needed on camera. The Di700A's can act as optical slaves for a Sony system master flash, but I'm not fan of optical setups. Having on-camera flash acting as master flash for Radio seems to be an area where Phottix Mitros+ based system will have will have an edge. That, and already having receivers that can take existing Sony system flashes.

  18. #18
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    The biggest issue I had with Sony flashes was there was never a way to sync with my Dynamite studio strobes. Well problem hugely solved. If you take the the flash and put it on SF it turns it into a optical slave. So using your studio lights can fire your Nissan without stupid wires and wein optical slaves attached( i just retired those slaves Yahoo). Folks this is huge as I have that extra light now when I need it and its easy to just flip to SF and adjust the power. Very useful when doing product work and you need that little kick light or even interiors sticking 2, 3,4 of these units behind a plant.


    HSS well it freaking works. I did this with Flash on camera and now trying to figure how to do it off camera

    I don't have a human handy but any good tree will give you good face. LOL

    1/4000 at F4. I had the Batis 25 on.



    I maybe buying more of these units
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Well when in doubt do a bloody selfie. LOL

    So off camera flash with Air 1 commander just hold pilot light 3 seconds on Air commander than you can dial in your shutter speeds. Could not be easier

    1/5000 at F4

    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Need to take that bloody 25mm off my camera. I got a nose the size of the Grand Canyon there. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  21. #21
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Looks like a good combination - I may need to try one of these.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Was doing some testing tonight with 3 Di700s and Air 1.
    The TTL results are inconsistent.
    One will be under exposed, next properly exposed then next over exposed.

    Im testing in my basement work room so that may be a concern.

    Anyone else seeing anything unusual?

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Was doing some testing tonight with 3 Di700s and Air 1.
    The TTL results are inconsistent.
    One will be under exposed, next properly exposed then next over exposed.

    Im testing in my basement work room so that may be a concern.

    Anyone else seeing anything unusual?
    Bit more testing this morning and I discovered the problem.

    The camera was set to bracket 2 EV plus and minus. I had been out shooting the lake and clouds and forgotten to reset the shutter to single shot. So, while being frustrated I learned something. The bracketing settings also implement FE bracketing. Not sure if that is in the manual.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #24
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    The camera was set to bracket 2 EV plus and minus.
    Thanks for not being too proud to share your lesson/mistake! I've been considering getting these strobes, and your earlier post had me a bit worried.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Thanks for not being too proud to share your lesson/mistake! I've been considering getting these strobes, and your earlier post had me a bit worried.
    Mike, I have learned over the years, and there are a lot of them under my bridge, that most of the time unexpected behavior has a user error component. That is one reason I always test and then test some more before taking new equipment on a job.

    Now that I know how to set them up they look like a useful system. I know I can fall back to manual but I do like the freedom TTL offers.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Mike, I have learned over the years, and there are a lot of them under my bridge, that most of the time unexpected behavior has a user error component. That is one reason I always test and then test some more before taking new equipment on a job.

    Now that I know how to set them up they look like a useful system. I know I can fall back to manual but I do like the freedom TTL offers.
    Good news than. I have not really tested it too much myself so good to hear that and thanks for letting us know right away. **** happens and that crop mode gets me sometimes too. Flashing warnings would be handy. Obviously in my case age does come to bear as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  27. #27
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    ...that crop mode gets me sometimes too...
    Glad I'm not the only one!

  28. #28
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    The two biggest pluses here for me is one to be able to get the flash off camera without cords and second having that built in optical to sync with my studio stuff. TTL is great and having HSS is very useful shooting people outdoors. At some point I will add more units to the system.

    Guess there hard to get now.

    I would have went Phottix but that several months of back order was not good. I'm happy so far.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one!
    Mike there is a warning it turns out . Answer on minor complaint thread. Go check that out
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Guy, Thanks for the samples. Good to have some real contribution instead of hotair.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The two biggest pluses here for me is one to be able to get the flash off camera without cords and second having that built in optical to sync with my studio stuff. TTL is great and having HSS is very useful shooting people outdoors. At some point I will add more units to the system.

    Guess there hard to get now.

    I would have went Phottix but that several months of back order was not good. I'm happy so far.
    I used Canon 600EX-RT from the day they were available. Before that I struggled with Pocket Wizard ControlTL.
    Getting speedlites to work without a hassle during an event or wedding is a big deal for me.

    I finally got one of the Phottix Mitros + units. It was a very long wait. I didn't get the Odin, want to wait for the version 2 to be available. It is going back now that I have the Nissin. Very useful. Guy, I have never been a fan of optical triggering. These Nissin units have a sync port so a radio trigger used for the studio strobes can be attached.

    For studio lighting, on location for me, I use the Cheetah Lights. One benefit is a common radio trigger, remote power control that works with all the options from manual speedlites to 600Ws head and battery pack unit. When I did more of that I has Einsteins. Loved the way the Cyber Commander worked. Being able to get power down to 2.5Ws eliminated need for lower output units.

    It is useful having options. If I were in a pinch the optical trigger on the Nissin is handy.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Here's a test shot of my ever patient Mannie.

    70-200, F8, ISO 100, SS 1/200.
    There are two Nissan Di700a speedlites being used and controlled by Air 1.
    The main (camera left) is plus 1.5 FEC. The fill ( a bit camera right) is minus .5 FEC.

    Main is in a 24in pop up square softbox. The fill is in a similar 16" softbox.

    Raw was imported into Lightroom CC using a custom camera profile that applies the Base tone curve which is a bit flatter than the Adobe Default.
    Then I applied a medium tone curve in the Develop Module and -50 highlights, +50 shadows.

    Reading the color checker gray scale black and white squares indicates that the image is maybe .25 EV below optimum readings.

    Mannies gray paller is about the same reflectance as northern european caucasian skin. The white background is a really old piece of once white foam core about a foot behind Mannie. The main is about 2 feet from him and the fill about 2.5 feet. That's one thing I like about TTL for headshots. I can get the ratio I want even if I can't get the lights in precisely the right spot without having to jiggle power settings.

    Not as handsome as Guy, but a quick illustration of two light setup with Nissin NAS lighting.

    Name:  20150821DSC01307.jpg
Views: 2946
Size:  153.0 KB
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #33
    Member Zlatko Batistich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cresskill, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Can anyone comment on the AF assist light? This looks like a good flash the only one with built-in radio for Sony but I hesitate to buy it for one reason. As a wedding/event shooter I'm often using flash in low-light indoor evening settings. An AF assist light really helps for AF, but if it's too strong it can be annoying to subjects. I've found that my Canon flashes have really good AF assist lights, not too weak and not too strong. They're reddish but not overpowering. But unlike the Canons, my little Nissin i40 sends out a powerful red/orange beam that's so bright that it just seems annoying. I've put some white tape over it to weaken it a bit. So is the new Nissan Di700a's AF assist light very bright, or is it more subtle like a typical Canon flash. The only way to judge this is in a darkened room, perhaps in the evening. Thanks in advance for any comments!

  34. #34
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Here's a test shot of my ever patient Mannie.

    70-200, F8, ISO 100, SS 1/200.
    There are two Nissan Di700a speedlites being used and controlled by Air 1.
    The main (camera left) is plus 1.5 FEC. The fill ( a bit camera right) is minus .5 FEC.

    Main is in a 24in pop up square softbox. The fill is in a similar 16" softbox.

    Raw was imported into Lightroom CC using a custom camera profile that applies the Base tone curve which is a bit flatter than the Adobe Default.
    Then I applied a medium tone curve in the Develop Module and -50 highlights, +50 shadows.

    Reading the color checker gray scale black and white squares indicates that the image is maybe .25 EV below optimum readings.

    Mannies gray paller is about the same reflectance as northern european caucasian skin. The white background is a really old piece of once white foam core about a foot behind Mannie. The main is about 2 feet from him and the fill about 2.5 feet. That's one thing I like about TTL for headshots. I can get the ratio I want even if I can't get the lights in precisely the right spot without having to jiggle power settings.

    Not as handsome as Guy, but a quick illustration of two light setup with Nissin NAS lighting.

    Name:  20150821DSC01307.jpg
Views: 2946
Size:  153.0 KB
    I have slightly more texture going on. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #35
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    I used mine today I'll post some images after I process but I loved it and was screaming to have two units on hand. Love to have a 3 unit set
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  36. #36
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    After yesterday I am convinced I want at least 1 more unit if not three and I wish I had them with me but I went out in a factory with it and a Stofen bounce diffuser plus a a green correction filter on the flash and just used it mainly for fill and stop some people motion. Worked really nice. I went and put it on a lightstand and shot with the Air commander. I still need to figure out the channels once I get more units but Ill get there.

    Shot these at ISO 640 at about 1/40 and F6.3 or so Batis 25mm. Handheld







    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #37
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    One more

    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Lookin' good.

    The group is set in the flash once you've selected the wireless option icon.

    Then the Commander is used to set the mode and power.

    Once the FEC is set via the commander per group, its possible to change it for all groups as a set to fine tune flash exposure relative to ambient.

    It takes a little playing around to get the hang of it. Then its a snap.

  39. #39
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    You two need to stop talking about this.
    I went to thinking about and then to ordering it and now to waiting for it as it back-ordered.

    I need one so I can play too.

    I have an Odin trigger and receiver and it works fine but this look smaller and like a more elegant solution. Especially as my Odin needs and adapter as its for the old hot shoe.

    Jim

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Jim,
    These are a nice solution.
    I ordered a Phottix Mitros + long ago and it finally arrived about a week before these were available.
    The Mitros + is going back.

    The two advantages with the Mitros + and Odin is ability to have an on-camera fill with off camera lights. And more groups.

    If Phottix ever gets the Odin II going and the TTL strobes working with it for Sony I'll have to revisit.

  41. #41
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Minnesota USA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Did anyone happen to check how fast the Nissin will sync (not HSS)?

    I am using the latest Yongnuo wireless transmitters and I can only get to about 1/160 with my A7.

  42. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Hey Guy,

    It doesn't have an Auto mode with the front mounted light sensor correct? Only fully manual?

    I need to replace my SB-800 and was looking for something with P-TTL for the Sony, and an Auto mode for the Phase.

  43. #43
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by krugorg View Post
    Did anyone happen to check how fast the Nissin will sync (not HSS)?

    I am using the latest Yongnuo wireless transmitters and I can only get to about 1/160 with my A7.
    First thing I checked 1/250 with the A7rII
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  44. #44
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by rhern213 View Post
    Hey Guy,

    It doesn't have an Auto mode with the front mounted light sensor correct? Only fully manual?

    I need to replace my SB-800 and was looking for something with P-TTL for the Sony, and an Auto mode for the Phase.
    It has TTL both on camera and with air commander. I used TTL with the above shots but I dialed it down 1/2 stop so it does not look like flash. This is full featured
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  45. #45
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Minnesota USA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    First thing I checked 1/250 with the A7rII
    Thanks sir!

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    There is an A mode when the flash is on the camera, but not when its off camera. That would be relatively difficult to engineer.

    I also got 1/250th before it switched to HSS.

    My recollection is that if HSS is not turned on on the speedlite, the camera does not offer shutter speeds above 1/250.

  47. #47
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

    Quote Originally Posted by rhern213 View Post
    It doesn't have an Auto mode with the front mounted light sensor correct? Only fully manual?
    If you're talking about the old-fashioned sort of 'auto' mode (i.e. like a Vivitar 283), where you told the flash what ISO and aperture you're using and it controls the light output based on a sensor on the flash, then no, it doesn't have that. (which is a little surprising actually)

    It does have pretty easy manual control over the light output, so it might be useable on your other camera.

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Nissin amongst different formats

    If you use a Sony Air controller does it matter which particular Di700A flash unit is used. Let me explain. I have both Nikon and Sony--- if i were to purchase two flash units--- I could order two kits-- one with the Sony and one with the Nikon controller--- that way if i want to use a single on camera flash-- I have one both for Sony and one for the Nikon? And then i could use dual flashes in wireless mode.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    If you're talking about the old-fashioned sort of 'auto' mode (i.e. like a Vivitar 283), where you told the flash what ISO and aperture you're using and it controls the light output based on a sensor on the flash, then no, it doesn't have that. (which is a little surprising actually)

    It does have pretty easy manual control over the light output, so it might be useable on your other camera.
    Last edited by mark1958; 1st September 2015 at 15:49.

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nissin amongst different formats

    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    If you use a Sony Air controller does it matter which particular Di700A flash unit is used. Let me explain. I have both Nikon and Sony--- if i were to purchase two flash units--- I could order two kits-- one with the Sony and one with the Nikon controller--- that way if i want to use a single on camera flash-- I have one both for Sony and one for the Nikon?
    Mark,
    My suspicion is that it does make a difference if you want to use TTL.
    Sony and Nikon each have their own proprietary protocols for controlling flash in TTL mode. I doubt that the flash or controller will be smart enough to know how to use them together.

    In Manual, presuming the Sony Commander will talk to a Nikon Di700a it should work fine.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nissin amongst different formats

    I guess that makes sense but too bad. (:

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Mark,
    My suspicion is that it does make a difference if you want to use TTL.
    Sony and Nikon each have their own proprietary protocols for controlling flash in TTL mode. I doubt that the flash or controller will be smart enough to know how to use them together.

    In Manual, presuming the Sony Commander will talk to a Nikon Di700a it should work fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •