The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7II and A7rII L bracket

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The same brackets fit both bodies . I ordered a new L bracket because the cheap one I had the vertical side went too high. So I was going to get the RRS L bracket but realized I would have to sell both dogs to get one. Not a bad idea really. LOL

But for 50 dollars I found one that works perfect it only goes 3/4 the way up the side with full access to doors and the button stops at the battery doors. IMHO the less metal the better instead of going all the way across this saves weight and bulk. I got it from Amazon and I'll put up a link as well.

It's made by Sunwayfoto PSL-A7IINR and it's built very well.

Amazon.com : SUNWAYFOTO PSL-a7IINR L Plate for Sony Alpha-7II a7RII Camera Arca / RRS Compatible Sunway : Camera & Photo

DennisHHH

I also bought the SunwayFoto last week and really like it. I had the A7r RRS L bracket so I tried the adjustment screw from it with the Sunway and it works great. Now I don't need an Allan wrench to extend it for USB cord or remove it.

The same brackets fit both bodies . I ordered a new L bracket because the cheap one I had the vertical side went too high. So I was going to get the RRS L bracket but realized I would have to sell both dogs to get one. Not a bad idea really. LOL

But for 50 dollars I found one that works perfect it only goes 3/4 the way up the side with full access to doors and the button stops at the battery doors. IMHO the less metal the better instead of going all the way across this saves weight and bulk. I got it from Amazon and I'll put up a link as well.

It's made by Sunwayfoto PSL-A7IINR and it's built very well.

Amazon.com : SUNWAYFOTO PSL-a7IINR L Plate for Sony Alpha-7II a7RII Camera Arca / RRS Compatible Sunway : Camera & Photo

Pradeep

I also bought the SunwayFoto last week and really like it. I had the A7r RRS L bracket so I tried the adjustment screw from it with the Sunway and it works great. Now I don't need an Allan wrench to extend it for USB cord or remove it.
I am a big fan of SunwayFoto products and their workmanship, packing etc is so 'Apple' (sorry if that does not excite you). I buy most of my plates/brackets/heads from them if I can.

However, my A7R L-bracket does not fit my RRS clamp. It is slightly small in width - probably built to Arca specs. So for my A7RII I ordered an L-bracket from Promedia It should be here in a few days.

Barry Haines

For the a7RM2, I bought this one from Amazon. At $23 and Amazon Prime shipping, it was a bargain and works great. No interference with LCD or cable access. I received it in two day from the date of order. :thumbs:

Joe
Thank you for that Joe and the thumbs up...Just ordered one from Amazon UK (In stock which makes a change :grin: )...Not a big fan of using tripods anymore but this will be better than my current Arca Swiss single sided clamp...Cheers Barry

dmward

I got the Sunway bracket that Guy linked to for my A7II. It also works well with the A7rII.
On thing I like about it is ability to slide the bracket to add space for the cable release to be plugged into the camera in vertical position.

As another mentioned, Sunway makes quality products I have several of their clamps, plates and focusing rails.

sbay

Does anyone make a 1-piece l-bracket? They all seem to be two parts screwed together, even RRS does this now.

Pradeep

For the a7RM2, I bought this one from Amazon. At $23 and Amazon Prime shipping, it was a bargain and works great. No interference with LCD or cable access. I received it in two days from the date of order. :thumbs:

Joe
Joe, thanks. I wish I had seen this earlier!

I am not much into tripods myself, but a plate is still essential for me as I use a Black Rapid strap and prefer the clamp and plate system with it.

rhern213

I also bought the same one Joe got.

I don't like the RRS or Sunway brackets because the bottom piece is cut off before the battery door. To me it looks ugly and feels uncomfortable to hold.

The other one covers the complete bottom of the camera and makes it look much more like one streamlined piece, and it feels nicer to hold for me as well. As a bonus it even brought the little clamp to secure the cables.

I paid $14 for it with free shipping on ebay.

Joe, thanks. I wish I had seen this earlier!

I am not much into tripods myself, but a plate is still essential for me as I use a Black Rapid strap and prefer the clamp and plate system with it.

michaelstokes

Thank you for that Joe and the thumbs up...Just ordered one from Amazon UK (In stock which makes a change :grin: )...Not a big fan of using tripods anymore but this will be better than my current Arca Swiss single sided clamp...Cheers Barry
Barry, what ball head are you using with this? I have been using an old heavy Manfrotto tripod with my D800E but would like to switch to an l bracket set up for my A7RII. I am in Ireland so I will also be ordering it from Amazon UK. Thanks.

fotophil

Does the $15 price include shipping to CA? If so I will take it. Please send PayPal address fro payment

Thanks

Phil Lindsay

sbay

Stephen, I did a lot of research and didn't find a one-piece design. The manufacturers are pushing the two-piece designs because some (most?) photographers want the option of removing the vertical piece if they don't shoot in portrait orientation.
That's interesting. I thought manufacturers went with 2-piece designs because they would be cheaper to make. Personally, I still want the 1-piece plate as there is nothing to go wrong / come loose in the field. Not sure what I'll do now, but if I have to go 2-piece the Neewer brand is so much cheaper than RRS I may just try it out.

joe_leads

Markins makes nice L-brackets for the Sonys, very light-weight and minimal extend. I have the Markins for my A7R and bought the RRS for my A7RII. But I'm still thinking to exchange the RRS for the Markins, because their lighter construction fits the camera really well.

SamSS

When a7ii first came out I bought one for $31.
On Aug 7th I bought another in participation for the a7rII for under $14 and shipped to my door on the 13th.
The box labeled as Neewer same as Amazon... on Ebay here. It weights exactly 79g and fits like a glove.
Dowelled joint pretty sturdy.

Last edited:

akclimber

If folks in the US are looking for a USA made L bracket that's well made, well fitting and less expensive than RRS, etc. you might want to try http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/ I bought an L bracket for my A7II from Chris and it fits my A7R2 just fine. I plan on ordering another.

Cheers! (and nope - I have no affiliation with Hejnar)

sbay

However, my A7R L-bracket does not fit my RRS clamp. It is slightly small in width - probably built to Arca specs. So for my A7RII I ordered an L-bracket from Promedia It should be here in a few days.
Has your bracket arrived? and can you comment on what you like about it/why you chose it? I was looking at the manufacturer's website and the l-plate seems like it (A) it's built like a tank and (B) has a lot of screws on it.