Site Sponsors

Thread: A7II and A7rII L bracket

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7II and A7rII L bracket

The same brackets fit both bodies . I ordered a new L bracket because the cheap one I had the vertical side went too high. So I was going to get the RRS L bracket but realized I would have to sell both dogs to get one. Not a bad idea really. LOL

But for 50 dollars I found one that works perfect it only goes 3/4 the way up the side with full access to doors and the button stops at the battery doors. IMHO the less metal the better instead of going all the way across this saves weight and bulk. I got it from Amazon and I'll put up a link as well.

It's made by Sunwayfoto PSL-A7IINR and it's built very well.

Amazon.com : SUNWAYFOTO PSL-a7IINR L Plate for Sony Alpha-7II a7RII Camera Arca / RRS Compatible Sunway : Camera & Photo
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7II and A7rII L bracket

Just got the same thing from B&H (no tax).

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought the SunwayFoto last week and really like it. I had the A7r RRS L bracket so I tried the adjustment screw from it with the Sunway and it works great. Now I don't need an Allan wrench to extend it for USB cord or remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The same brackets fit both bodies . I ordered a new L bracket because the cheap one I had the vertical side went too high. So I was going to get the RRS L bracket but realized I would have to sell both dogs to get one. Not a bad idea really. LOL

But for 50 dollars I found one that works perfect it only goes 3/4 the way up the side with full access to doors and the button stops at the battery doors. IMHO the less metal the better instead of going all the way across this saves weight and bulk. I got it from Amazon and I'll put up a link as well.

It's made by Sunwayfoto PSL-A7IINR and it's built very well.

Amazon.com : SUNWAYFOTO PSL-a7IINR L Plate for Sony Alpha-7II a7RII Camera Arca / RRS Compatible Sunway : Camera & Photo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DennisHHH View Post
    I also bought the SunwayFoto last week and really like it. I had the A7r RRS L bracket so I tried the adjustment screw from it with the Sunway and it works great. Now I don't need an Allan wrench to extend it for USB cord or remove it.
    I am a big fan of SunwayFoto products and their workmanship, packing etc is so 'Apple' (sorry if that does not excite you). I buy most of my plates/brackets/heads from them if I can.

However, my A7R L-bracket does not fit my RRS clamp. It is slightly small in width - probably built to Arca specs. So for my A7RII I ordered an L-bracket from Promedia It should be here in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the a7RM2, I bought this one from Amazon. At $23 and Amazon Prime shipping, it was a bargain and works great. No interference with LCD or cable access. I received it in two days from the date of order.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 13th August 2015 at 05:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    For the a7RM2, I bought this one from Amazon. At $23 and Amazon Prime shipping, it was a bargain and works great. No interference with LCD or cable access. I received it in two day from the date of order.

Joe
    Thank you for that Joe and the thumbs up...Just ordered one from Amazon UK (In stock which makes a change )...Not a big fan of using tripods anymore but this will be better than my current Arca Swiss single sided clamp...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Sunway bracket that Guy linked to for my A7II. It also works well with the A7rII.
    On thing I like about it is ability to slide the bracket to add space for the cable release to be plugged into the camera in vertical position.

As another mentioned, Sunway makes quality products I have several of their clamps, plates and focusing rails.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone make a 1-piece l-bracket? They all seem to be two parts screwed together, even RRS does this now.
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbay View Post
    Does anyone make a 1-piece l-bracket? They all seem to be two parts screwed together, even RRS does this now.
    Stephen, I did a lot of research and didn't find a one-piece design. The manufacturers are pushing the two-piece designs because some (most?) photographers want the option of removing the vertical piece if they don't shoot in portrait orientation.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

For the a7RM2, I bought this one from Amazon. At $23 and Amazon Prime shipping, it was a bargain and works great. No interference with LCD or cable access. I received it in two days from the date of order.

Joe
    Joe, thanks. I wish I had seen this earlier!

I am not much into tripods myself, but a plate is still essential for me as I use a Black Rapid strap and prefer the clamp and plate system with it.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought the same one Joe got.

I don't like the RRS or Sunway brackets because the bottom piece is cut off before the battery door. To me it looks ugly and feels uncomfortable to hold.

The other one covers the complete bottom of the camera and makes it look much more like one streamlined piece, and it feels nicer to hold for me as well. As a bonus it even brought the little clamp to secure the cables.

I paid $14 for it with free shipping on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Joe, thanks. I wish I had seen this earlier!

I am not much into tripods myself, but a plate is still essential for me as I use a Black Rapid strap and prefer the clamp and plate system with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's the one I had was what Joe bought. Anyone wants it I'll mail it to them for 15 dollars
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    Thank you for that Joe and the thumbs up...Just ordered one from Amazon UK (In stock which makes a change )...Not a big fan of using tripods anymore but this will be better than my current Arca Swiss single sided clamp...Cheers Barry
    Barry, what ball head are you using with this? I have been using an old heavy Manfrotto tripod with my D800E but would like to switch to an l bracket set up for my A7RII. I am in Ireland so I will also be ordering it from Amazon UK. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the $15 price include shipping to CA? If so I will take it. Please send PayPal address fro payment

Thanks

Phil Lindsay

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, I did a lot of research and didn't find a one-piece design. The manufacturers are pushing the two-piece designs because some (most?) photographers want the option of removing the vertical piece if they don't shoot in portrait orientation.
    That's interesting. I thought manufacturers went with 2-piece designs because they would be cheaper to make. Personally, I still want the 1-piece plate as there is nothing to go wrong / come loose in the field. Not sure what I'll do now, but if I have to go 2-piece the Neewer brand is so much cheaper than RRS I may just try it out.
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Does the $15 price include shipping to CA? If so I will take it. Please send PayPal address fro payment

Thanks

Phil Lindsay
    Actually Kirk said he wanted it. Just waiting for him to confirm

Post Thanks / Like

Markins makes nice L-brackets for the Sonys, very light-weight and minimal extend. I have the Markins for my A7R and bought the RRS for my A7RII. But I'm still thinking to exchange the RRS for the Markins, because their lighter construction fits the camera really well.

Post Thanks / Like

When a7ii first came out I bought one for $31.
    On Aug 7th I bought another in participation for the a7rII for under $14 and shipped to my door on the 13th.
    The box labeled as Neewer same as Amazon... on Ebay here. It weights exactly 79g and fits like a glove.
    Dowelled joint pretty sturdy.
    Last edited by SamSS; 17th August 2015 at 18:17.

Post Thanks / Like

If folks in the US are looking for a USA made L bracket that's well made, well fitting and less expensive than RRS, etc. you might want to try http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/ I bought an L bracket for my A7II from Chris and it fits my A7R2 just fine. I plan on ordering another.

Cheers! (and nope - I have no affiliation with Hejnar)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    However, my A7R L-bracket does not fit my RRS clamp. It is slightly small in width - probably built to Arca specs. So for my A7RII I ordered an L-bracket from Promedia It should be here in a few days.
    Has your bracket arrived? and can you comment on what you like about it/why you chose it? I was looking at the manufacturer's website and the l-plate seems like it (A) it's built like a tank and (B) has a lot of screws on it.
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net

Post Thanks / Like

Summarizing the l-plates mentioned so far. As Joe mentioned, they are all 2-piece designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice chart. Thanks for doing that

Post Thanks / Like

I received this one today 20 dollars from amazon
    Andoer LB-A7M2 Black Aluminum Dedicated Camera Quick Release L-Plate Hand Grip Bracket with 1/4" Mounting Screw for Sony A7 MARK II.
    Fits like a glove. Can access all doors, controls etc.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

been reluctant to comment, but i have been making an A7 bracket, both for the camera and the vertical grip since the A7 came out.
    milich.com.

it perturbs me to see the ridiculous low prices for asian parts, i can only imagine how they can do this. to give you an idea of the mfg. process in my shop where i make these 100%: (even RRS farms out all their machining; all they do in house is part development and order processing):

measurements are taken and Cad drawings are developed for each camera type, of course, typically an L-bracket is two piece. then profiles are cut out on the waterjet, the parts are screwed to a custom fixture plate so all surfaces can be CNC machined. a few holes may require a second setup and usually the part has to be reversed on the fixture plate to machine the bottom surface. then tapping and counterboring on another machine hand held. these are then deburred and buffed with a scotchbrite wheel then tumbled in a vibratory abrasive machine for an hour. then they get fitted to a rack and go into the anodizing process, takes about an hour an 30 minutes. remove parts and dry, and assemble takes a few minutes. recently, i've been using a folding wing-screw which i can buy for about $3.
    then there is the order management, labeling, packaging and posting. USPS priority costs about $6, and there is a the paypal fee. i also have shop overhead, insurance, taxes and machine, shop costs (water jet and CNC machines and tooling are expensive and renting my shop space is not cheap)

of course in asia wages are 1/10 those in the US; i doubt they pay unemployment, worker's comp and liability insurance.

so much for the global market
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John, Your concerns are totally valid and I empathize with them. However, consider that the cameras are themselves are "farmed out" and manufactured in Thailand for economic reasons. It makes no sense for me to buy an L bracket anywhere else when I can get it delivered for a tenth of a price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbay View Post
    Has your bracket arrived? and can you comment on what you like about it/why you chose it? I was looking at the manufacturer's website and the l-plate seems like it (A) it's built like a tank and (B) has a lot of screws on it.
    Stephen, yes, mine arrived yesterday (they were backordered). I chose it because I did not know Sunwayfoto had one that would fit an RRS clamp (the one for the A7R did not) and because it was recommended highly by a well respected photographer on another forum (I have found his opinion to be very valuable). The plate indeed looks like a tank, very well built, heavy, sturdy, has steel rods that allow extension of the vertical plate to a variable distance from the horizontal.

However, it is very fiddly, the actual plate looks different from the photos on the website and there are protrusions towards the camera side on the vertical plate that make no sense to me. There are some custom options that they include, like a flange for extra protection on the horizontal plate etc that to me are absolutely redundant.

Suffice it to say I did not like it and called them for a return. The service is superb as mentioned on the other forum too. They immediately emailed me a return shipping label, cost of shipping included.

So it may work very well for people looking for a really tough product but given the size of the A7RII, my needs are for the absolutely lightest plate I can find. I am hardly going to mount a huge lens without using the lens plate as the support for the tripod so I don't understand the need for a 'tank-like' contraption.

My Neweer plate is on its way from Amazon now.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

regarding the basic camera plate:

the bottom has to be thick enough so that with the tripod clamped on, the LCD can still fully articulate; i start with a 3/8" thick plate. i sixe and test all my plates to fit the RRS lever clamps

i hate the "folding wing screws", but they are toolless...i much prefer an allen key
    also sliding the bracket works for USB access, but i don't like that either, and the half height L-plate maybe solve half the access problem and is wimpy.
    i have a design where the L-plate portion is on the right side of the camera instead and has enough cutaway to allow card access. no sliding needed, seems to not interfere with gripping the body. may work one up

problems are worse with the vertical grip L-plate, no practical way to access the battery compartment without loosening and swinging the bracket, also requires sliding. not sure yet if a RH L-plate would work, which would avoid both problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RRS has a line drawing of their new L-bracket for the a7RII on their website.

Base extends to surround the battery door. Allen wrench is "captured" by the bracket. Vertical section slides and is different from the "tuning fork" design they had for the a7II. Looks very much like the Neewer bracket I bought.

Price is $175.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

For the a7RM2, I bought this one from Amazon.
    Thanks for pointing that one out.

I had ordered the Sunwayfoto version a few days ago, and sent it back minutes after it arrived. (the vertical mounting portion of it was not parallel to the camera body.) Paying fifty bucks for a Chinese knock-off, I at least expect it to be properly aligned.

And like you, I prefer a design that covers the entire bottom of the camera. (Interesting that RRS is going back to that style - they must have gotten some backlash about their previous strange design.)

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the cheap neewer l-bracket as I have a few trips coming up and definitely need the vertical capability. I originally thought that I wouldn't need vertical extension for cables as I have been using a wireless remote but I realized that I wanted to plug in an external battery. So once RRS completes their new design, I'll take another look and might get a different plate.

It turns out that my 5DII l-plate actually almost works on the A7RII. The back lcd needs about 1mm of additional clearance for the LCD to articulate which I could probably get with some cork spacer. But I would also have to get l-connectors for any ports I want to use.
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net

Post Thanks / Like

Feeling slightly "done by" RRS now. They decided the bracket design for the A7II wasn't quite good enough and redesigned it to what it should have been in the first place.

The good in all this, is the interesting links to other rail and camera support system manufacturers, it will definitely colour my next plate/rail purchase.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

My cheap neewer l-bracket arrived and frankly i'm impressed with it given that it's only$20. Seems well made and is not over engineered.

I only have a few minor complaints: the cutout for the camera lug is off center and might rub under flexing, and the camera is not quite aligned vertically. But for the cost (and considering it's for the A7II) it's reasonable. I still might order the RRS version (or another makers) later, but this will be serviceable for now.
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net