The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question: Sony A7Rii Eye focus tracking

elitegroup

Has any one tested the A7Rii's Eye Focus tracking In Continuous Mode?

Could some one test this feature using any of Sony's native primes at f/1.4 or especially the Zeiss batis lenses wide open at f/1.8 please?
I'd really like to hear if the eye focus tracking works successfully with the subject off center and for shallow depth of field portraits both in studio and/or on location
as this is a feature that I would consider using for beauty/fashion work.

Here's a video Gary Fong posted on how to set up eye focus in camera I'd really appreciate hearing real world opinions from current A7rii owners as the camera is not
yet available in NZ

Cheers

ohnri

Has any one tested the A7Rii's Eye Focus tracking In Continuous Mode?

Could some one test this feature using any of Sony's native primes at f/1.4 or especially the Zeiss batis lenses wide open at f/1.8 please?
I'd really like to hear if the eye focus tracking works successfully with the subject off center and for shallow depth of field portraits both in studio and/or on location
as this is a feature that I would consider using for beauty/fashion work.

Here's a video Gary Fong posted on how to set up eye focus in camera I'd really appreciate hearing real world opinions from current A7rii owners as the camera is not
yet available in NZ

Cheers
That's the excellent video I used to set it up on my A7r2.

With the 90 Macro, wide open at 2.8, at portrait distance, in crummy light, it is ...

Insane. Game changing.

One of the many operational advances that make the A7r2 the best camera I have ever used and puts my, now sold, FF Nikon kit into my past with zero regret.

Basically, it really works.

It is not perfect but it is very, very good.

Apparently, it turns the 55 FE into an autofocus, portrait monster for moving children and toddlers.

I will be trying it on my 90 Macro/2.8 and 35/1.4 tomorrow in daylight and let you know more about what I think after that.

But, the way it worked in typical indoor room lighting with three different subjects, in three different rooms, on the 90/2.8 wide open, was enough, by itself, to impress the heck out of me.

I don't have the Batis 85 but I am now considering the 55/1.8 just because the Eye Tracking AF extends it's capabilities in ways I can't match with MF or any non-native AF lens.

-Bill

tn1krr

That's the excellent video I used to set it up on my A7r2.

With the 90 Macro, wide open at 2.8, at portrait distance, in crummy light, it is ...

Insane. Game changing.

One of the many operational advances that make the A7r2 the best camera I have ever used and puts my, now sold, FF Nikon kit into my past with zero regret.

Basically, it really works.

It is not perfect but it is very, very good.

Apparently, it turns the 55 FE into an autofocus, portrait monster for moving children and toddlers.

I will be trying it on my 90 Macro/2.8 and 35/1.4 tomorrow in daylight and let you know more about what I think after that.

But, the way it worked in typical indoor room lighting with three different subjects, in three different rooms, on the 90/2.8 wide open, was enough, by itself, to impress the heck out of me.

I don't have the Batis 85 but I am now considering the 55/1.8 just because the Eye Tracking AF extends it's capabilities in ways I can't match with MF or any non-native AF lens.
I've got the 90/2.8 Macro, FE 55 and Batis 85 and can confirm above. AF-C + Eye-AF nails my 2,5 year old daughters eyes. It is not perfect (need to 1st get it close with regular AF or Eye AF may not activate at all and can lose track sometimes), but it still really feels like black magic. It is that good.

elitegroup

Thanks ohnri and tn1krr for your insights and I'm so glad the feature works great as I am looking at the Batis 25, 85 and FE55mm as my main trio for a small compact system.

Would love to hear your opinion with the 35mm f/1.4 wide open with eye focus enabled.

Thanks again guys :thumbup:

ohnri

I tried the eye tracking AF in open shade and remain very impressed.

Even with the 16-35/4 FE it would pick up an eye from any reasonable distance and any reasonable location.

When used with the 90 Macro at portrait distance at f/2.8 it was dead on.

For side to side movement it is still very good and is better than expected for movement which is distant to near.

It appeared to work well with every FE lens I own.

The A7r2 has exceeded my expectations.

-Bill

MrTMan

I've used it with the 35/1.4 wide open. I need to test it some more, as I've only been able to try it briefly, but for the most part it seems to work really great! Certainly has made it MUCH easier to photograph my toddler.

I'm generally skeptical on stuff like this, but the A7rII has exceeded my expectations wide open in crummy light with the 35 1.4. Can't wait for my Batis lenses to get here.

bdp

I can also confirm it works really well as long as the light is good and your subject is reasonably close and front on. I have one back button set to Eye AF and another set to the equally amazing 'Lock-on AF:Flexible Spot S' for when the Eye AF fails, if for example, your subject turns their head away. I just move my thumb to the other back button and get the focus spot on their face (or wherever) and recompose with my thumb still pressed down. The camera tracks the focus point really well.

Ben

Last edited:

elitegroup

I can also confirm it works really well as long as the light is good and your subject is reasonably close and front on. I have one back button set to Eye AF and another set to the equally amazing 'Lock-on AF:Flexible Spot S' for when the Eye AF fails, if for example, your subject turns their head away. I just move my thumb to the other back button and get the focus spot on their face (or wherever) and recompose with my thumb still pressed down. The camera tracks the focus point really well.

Ben
Thanks for the tip using 'Lock-on AF:Flexible Spot S' as a back up to the Eye focus function. I can't wait to test as soon as the A7rii arrives here in Aotearoa :cool:

elitegroup

I'm generally skeptical on stuff like this, but the A7rII has exceeded my expectations wide open in crummy light with the 35 1.4. Can't wait for my Batis lenses to get here.
I've used it with the 35/1.4 wide open. I need to test it some more, as I've only been able to try it briefly, but for the most part it seems to work really great! Certainly has made it MUCH easier to photograph my toddler.
This is great to know as the 35/1.4 may also be on my hit list, Cheers :thumbs:

Viramati

Ben
I'd appreciate some clarification of the setup here as I can't find any 'Lock-on AF' in the custom key settings

bdp

I'd appreciate some clarification of the setup here as I can't find any 'Lock-on AF' in the custom key settings
Hi David,

I have set the AF/MF button set to 'AF ON' in the custom key settings, and turned 'AF w/shutter' to OFF in the gear tab menu item 5.

So whatever Focus Area setting I am on can be initiated with a press of the AF/MF button. I usually have the focus mode in AF-C and then set the Focus area to Lock-on AF: Flexible Spot S. You have to go down to the Lock on AF: Center setting and toggle to the right to get it on Flexible Spot S.

I have Eye AF on C3.

Hope that makes sense.

Ben

Viramati

Thanks. I just hadn't scrolled down to 'Lock-on AF:Flexible Spot S' in the area menu and hadn't seen it before. very useful . My settings are similar to yours though I have the AEL button set toe Eye AF and C3 to focus modes