Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A7rII Owners - List Your MINOR Complaints!

Post Thanks / Like

A7rII Owners - List Your MINOR Complaints!

We all know the major complaints (lossy RAW, etc), few as they are. But after owning the camera for a week, what are the minor ones that bug you? Here are couple of mine.

1. 42 mpx, what a luxury! Shooting in APSC mode gives us a 1.5 crop factor, so the 70-200 now reaches to 300mm! The tradeoff to 18 mpx is much more doable than it ever was for the 24 mpx - 10 mpx.

However, the menu item to activate APSC is buried in the menu system. There is no option to add it to the function menu or custom keys. Please Sony, add this option in a firmware update!

2. This one won't be fixed - Look at the front of the camera, what do you see? It say "A7r"! When I first opened the box, I thought they had packed the wrong camera. The backside of the camera shows different. Why couldn't they affix that label to the front as well?

Yeah, I know, it's totally superficial. What's inside is what counts. It just seems so odd they used a generic identification when they easily could have shown the version. The A7II is not similarly "afflicted".
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7rII Owners - List Your MINOR Complaints!

I noticed the badging issue right off and went on the web to see if any of the pics of the body had the II on them.... they don't.

I guess I got used to diving in menus with the NEX line so I just go ahead and do it but I guess it would make sense that the apc option could be assigned to a control.

My only minor complaint is my FE glass wants right now are currently more than my wallet can support ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It can't cook breakfast. Absolute disgrace, what is Sony thinking?

Other than that its great.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Need more glass. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

For tethered shooting the mini USB plug occupies the same port as my Remote radio trigger . I wish there was a work around to shoot tethered and use my radio trigger. Sony s own IR trigger is only good for selfies and a cable shutter release is not an option. Does anybody know for to transmit RAW wirelessly to a laptop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is getting so close to my perfect camera that I really can't complain. I have never been enthusiastic about my 70-200 f/4 lens, but it just sings on this body. I haven't had time to work my way through all of my lenses, but can't wait to see how they perform.

I did notice the badging on the front and thought it very strange.

I tried to assign the APS-C function to a button and was disappointed that I couldn't. Hopefully they can rectify that in an update. It is an annoyance, but not really a complaint.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one - Auto Review on the monitor only. Not the finder. Otherwise very happy.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rupho View Post
    For tethered shooting the mini USB plug occupies the same port as my Remote radio trigger . I wish there was a work around to shoot tethered and use my radio trigger. Sony s own IR trigger is only good for selfies and a cable shutter release is not an option.
    This is currently my #1 problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I use C1 with capture pilot but in practice it's just too slow. I was thinking about buying the Meike battery grip in hope that the wireless shutter control was of more use than the Sony version, does anyone have any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like

For remote release, what about the Sony Apps? Too clunky?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, too slow and clunky. Having a pocket wizard clipped to your belt means that you can quickly capture frames as you're setting up the composition and also be very precise with timing when people walk by, or simply sit nearby with a coffee and wait for the action to happen without lurking menacingly behind the camera. C1 has a delay in triggering the camera so it's of less use too. I shoot interiors and architecture so it's really important. If the camera isn't tethered then it's not a problem.

I'd love to be able to set APS-C mode with a custom button too. A custom menu of frequently used functions (such as the one Canon uses) would be great and also simple firmware. Couldn't they just outsource their interface to someone more capable as an open source or after market option? You could use the Sony version, or install Adobe's or Phase's. USB 3 would be a nice addition too but guess it would increase the size of the camera very slightly (also not a bad thing in my view)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdp View Post
    I've got one - Auto Review on the monitor only. Not the finder. Otherwise very happy.

Ben
    Amen

and a way to urn the EVF on sensitivity right down. Loupe users will be most happy along with a joystick to select af points with.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    1. 42 mpx, what a luxury! Shooting in APSC mode gives us a 1.5 crop factor, so the 70-200 now reaches to 300mm! The tradeoff to 18 mpx is much more doable than it ever was for the 24 mpx - 10 mpx.

However, the menu item to activate APSC is buried in the menu system. There is no option to add it to the function menu or custom keys. Please Sony, add this option in a firmware update!
    My "minor complaint" is that I don't have one, but seriously thinking about getting one.

I liked the comment in one of the early reviews that the A7rII was the camera to use when you were too drunk to set the correct exposure, because all could be fixed in post. So your first minor complaint can add to that, if you're too drunk to aim you can always crop to APS-C in post (and it doesn't have to be in the middle, like the standard camera APS-C crop mode)
    My Pics
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree on the apsc mode being in the function menu would be useful as it was on of the things I tried to do in vain when setting the camera up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rupho View Post
    For tethered shooting the mini USB plug occupies the same port as my Remote radio trigger . I wish there was a work around to shoot tethered and use my radio trigger. Sony s own IR trigger is only good for selfies and a cable shutter release is not an option. Does anybody know for to transmit RAW wirelessly to a laptop?
    I don't know if this is any help but I've read on another forum Live View through HDMI is world's better than C1Pro. This frees up the mini USB port for your remote trigger.
    You could also connect into a SmallHD DP4 with a wireless HDMI transmitter attached... sending the signal to a larger field monitor for art directors etc.
    MANA WAIRUA

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    It can't cook breakfast. Absolute disgrace, what is Sony thinking?

Other than that its great.
    It is a long running complaint from NEX-5. Too hot for the sensor and not hot enough to cook food with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elitegroup View Post
    I don't know if this is any help but I've read on another forum Live View through HDMI is world's better than C1Pro. This frees up the mini USB port for your remote trigger.
    You could also connect into a SmallHD DP4 with a wireless HDMI transmitter attached... sending the signal to a larger field monitor for art directors etc.
    As far as I know HDMI is only for monitor output and so doesn't allow tethering...? Would love to be wrong on this.

BTW, Stefan's hcam master TS works perfectly with the mkii, have just finished the first shoot with it. A permanent addition to my setup.

Post Thanks / Like

No complaints here!

For me this is the perfect camera that I had always imagined starting from the 1940s with a 120 folders and a view camera. ISO 100,000- check, 42 mp to match 4x5 b&w film- check, 4K pro video- check, fast manual focus <.5s- check, auto focus for many lenses-- check. What more to want?
    --Doug
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My dealer says my A7RII will arrive today. Can't wait to have some minor complaints!
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No complaints here!

Quote Originally Posted by douglaspboyd View Post
    For me this is the perfect camera that I had always imagined starting from the 1940s with a 120 folders and a view camera. ISO 100,000- check, 42 mp to match 4x5 b&w film- check, 4K pro video- check, fast manual focus <.5s- check, auto focus for many lenses-- check. What more to want?
    --Doug
    New minor complaint.... carpal tunnel from checking too many wants and needs boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can we get hazard pay from Sony on that want. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

My A7RII is waiting for me at the dealer. Longest workday ever!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If anything - why is it so difficult to get a bigger battery ? An NPF550 would be probably too much, but halfway ?
    And: when someone wants to make a batterygrip: why not use bigger batteries as well ? Plus: when will there be a batterygrip where the originally installed
    battery can stay in place and the grip just plugs in with external contacts ? Also: as Panasonic does it with the GH 4: a grip has plenty of additional space for Plugs,
    I want additional large HDMI, Video outs for a monitor, Mics, maybe a GPS module as an addon , a wifi booster and all kind of goodies that could be crammed into this space.

I want an open source SDK for the Apps of the Sony. Document the interfaces and how to use them,

And finally: Ceterum censeo MULTISHOT SENSORSHIFT ! (see Olympus)

I WANT. I WANT . I DEMAND.............SONY....... PLEASE !!!!!!

because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    If anything - why is it so difficult to get a bigger battery ? An NPF550 would be probably too much, but halfway ?
    And: when someone wants to make a batterygrip: why not use bigger batteries as well ? Plus: when will there be a batterygrip where the originally installed
    battery can stay in place and the grip just plugs in with external contacts ? Also: as Panasonic does it with the GH 4: a grip has plenty of additional space for Plugs,
    I want additional large HDMI, Video outs for a monitor, Mics, maybe a GPS module as an addon , a wifi booster and all kind of goodies that could be crammed into this space.

I want an open source SDK for the Apps of the Sony. Document the interfaces and how to use them,

And finally: Ceterum censeo MULTISHOT SENSORSHIFT ! (see Olympus)

I WANT. I WANT . I DEMAND.............SONY....... PLEASE !!!!!!

I would like the grip used for better thermal management (ie. Cooling the sensor).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leaf had Peltier cooling 20 Years ago. I wonder if it would n´t be possible to do something like this again - and yes - that is a flaw.
    Obviously after 20 minutes of 4k recording in a row, the camera heats up. Depends on the display also, but hey, using the battery grip for this is a good idea Vivek !
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Leaf had Peltier cooling 20 Years ago. I wonder if it would n´t be possible to do something like this again - and yes - that is a flaw.
    Obviously after 20 minutes of 4k recording in a row, the camera heats up. Depends on the display also, but hey, using the battery grip for this is a good idea Vivek !
    Stefan, I am working on a few types (for my use). When something works, I will post it here and hope someone will pick it up for commercial production.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Consider me interested !

Post Thanks / Like

I picked mine up today. I think this camera will last a good long time!

1. Related to Stephan's battery comment: Sony's had two years to work on battery capacity, but they are exactly the same as the original a7r batteries - 1020mAh.

2. I noticed it took 3 pages in the manual to display all the icons, so I thought why not? I counted them: 265. Plus or minus a dozen, my eyes got blurry.

3. The 24 Elmar still stinks in the corners, but I kinda expected that. I guess there is a Batis in my future.

4. I still can't manual focus FE lenses. They seem to have a mind of their own - I swear turning the focus ring sometimes does very little and sometimes does a lot.

5. The a7r RRS plate doesn't work at all; not even close. Placed an order for the new one but they are backordered.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    I picked mine up today. I think this camera will last a good long time!

4. I still can't manual focus FE lenses. They seem to have a mind of their own - I swear turning the focus ring sometimes does very little and sometimes does a lot.

Dave
    This is a feature of focus by wire : the faster you turn the focus ring, the faster the focus distance change and the slower you turn it, the less it change. I find it confusing too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Anna. I'm glad my Jeep doesn't work that way; I'd run people over.

It just goes slow no matter what I do with the skinny pedal.

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    This is a feature of focus by wire : the faster you turn the focus ring, the faster the focus distance change and the slower you turn it, the less it change. I find it confusing too.
    My trick now in focusing is . Have camera in MF use the back button to AF real quick than hit my 12x zoom (C1)and fine tune manually from there. Why because the AF is either dead on or damn close and I'm already at the focus distance so it's really a matter of a fine tune than a sweeping MF movement. Makes it very quick and if you have these AF fly by wire lenses take advantage of the quick AF. Works real nice with both Batis lenses. The other part is say you switched to a manual lens than your already setup for it.

I also turn off the auto focus fly by wire stuff when touching the lens. That drives me crazy

Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here's one:
    using a lens with aperture control on the lens: when in manual mode and showing histogram, as you set shutter speed, the histogram disappears, replaced by the shutter speed info bar.

so you set shutter, tap shutter button to show histo, reset shutter, recheck histo, etc, shuttling back and forth
    Last edited by jlm; 16th August 2015 at 06:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to put this all into perspective, after a few hours with the a7rII I picked up my a7r: Boy was that shutter release in a weird spot!

Ignoring the technology improvements, the haptics alone might be worth the upgrade.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Meike third party power pack has its own wireless remote release included, as well as a intervalometer. It costs about the same a modest takeaway meal for 2, much less than the Sony branded model and is pretty high quality. Might deal with a couple of minor issues.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Include the ability to save all settings to an SD card, nothing like having to replace a camera and re-due all your settings. Please tell me it's already there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My trick now in focusing is . Have camera in MF use the back button to AF real quick than hit my 12x zoom (C1)and fine tune manually from there. Why because the AF is either dead on or damn close and I'm already at the focus distance so it's really a matter of a fine tune than a sweeping MF movement. Makes it very quick and if you have these AF fly by wire lenses take advantage of the quick AF. Works real nice with both Batis lenses. The other part is say you switched to a manual lens than your already setup for it.

I also turn off the auto focus fly by wire stuff when touching the lens. That drives me crazy
    So Guy, I want to try this but I cannot make it work as you describe. I set C2* to "Focus Magnifier" and the AF/MF button to "AF On". With the 55 mounted, if I set the camera to MF, then it doesn't autofocus when I push the AF/MF button, but C2 does zoom in like it should. If I set the camera to AF, then it does focus if and only if I hit the AF/MF button. But now when I hit C2 it says setting not available in AF-single shot mode. I get that warning regardless of AF-S, AF-A, AF-C or DMF.

What am I doing wrong? I have Pre-AF Off and AF w/shutter OFF.
    ??

Dave

*I'm using C2 vs C1 because that button is easier for me to reach.

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

okay focus magnifier to C2
    AF/MF is AF/MF is Control Hold. Not AF on

Oh and the switch you want on AF/MF on body than just punch the center button. It should AF for you and whatever you set on AFS as far as size of AF square or whatever thats what will show

So now in Manual focus mode , you should be able to hit that center button and it should AF for you. Do that than hit C2 and fine tune and you should be ready to shoot.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hmmm..

I use C1 to toggle MF AF; then i have focus mag on C2, hit it once for 5x, twice for 12x.

C4 is for iso, C3 is steady shot toggle

somehow i thought the AF/MF lever or button would toggle MF and AF, but no. not sure i get what that button is for: looks like the lever can select either AF/MF or AE (i assume that is for the 1/2 shutter press lock, but what about the button?

on another front, found this oddness:
    putting on the 55FE and i get the focus box right in the center (i have it set that way), but when i put on the 135 A mount with metabones adapter in AF i get the array of focus boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I started a thread on custom functions and function buttons.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy,
    That works!

John,
    I think the AF/MF - AEL switch is a dual switch, like Canon always does (or used to do). If you have the lever up, the button's std meaning is AF/MF. If you have the lever down and push the button it does AEL.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Thanks Guy,
    That works!

John,
    I think the AF/MF - AEL switch is a dual switch, like Canon always does (or used to do). If you have the lever up, the button's std meaning is AF/MF. If you have the lever down and push the button it does AEL.

Dave
    Yes that is correct

Lets bring these custom and function questions over to the new thread. I think this thread will mean a lot to folks how to get setup in this very complicated menu system.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

lever and button don't work that way for me:

lever up: toward AF/MF: button press gives me "this operation or setting not available as follows: quality RAW" and the half press of the shutter locks focus. it is in AF only as well

lever down: toward AE: button press causes the half shutter press to lock exposure.

jm

Post Thanks / Like

Mine just showed up. I mounted it on the Arca right away. As I feared, the deeper handgrip get's in the way a bit, hitting the front standard with wide lenses mounted and restricting the shift to 10mm.

Hmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    Mine just showed up. I mounted it on the Arca right away. As I feared, the deeper handgrip get's in the way a bit, hitting the front standard with wide lenses mounted and restricting the shift to 10mm.

Hmm.

Wondering if you can put any shim in it

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any real complaints, but I have a feature request: Auto ISO max 51,200 with minimum shutter 1/(2xf).

Not a big deal because I can just switch to manual mode with the current auto ISO implementation, but I'd still like to have it so I wouldn't have to switch to manual when going from good light to low light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do have a feature that really needs to be addressed. Crop mode, I use it a lot. I used it today to shoot some hummingbirds and I forget to back out of it. Really need a flashing warning somewhere off the image frame.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like everyone else I'd like lossless compression or uncompressed raw files. Big sd cards aren't a problem these days and I'm not machine gun shooting anyway.

I wish the histograms were based on raw vs processed jpg. Always a pet peeve of mine as it's just easier to assess the full DR of a shot and where possible use the best/maximum exposure with ETTR.

A custom settings page where I could put any settings from the menus. Sure, I can use the function display for most things but I like the way my Nikon's have a tab where I can pull together my choice of options.

I still want to be able to save/load custom settings from an sd card. I have multiple cameras and it would be great to be able to sync them all with the same settings vs manually doing it.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 20th August 2015 at 21:52.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why, for the love of all that is holy, did Sony not include a 4:5 crop mode. I was about to pull the trigger and buy one but without 4:5, I can't really use it. Incredibly frustrating.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Why, for the love of all that is holy, did Sony not include a 4:5 crop mode. I was about to pull the trigger and buy one but without 4:5, I can't really use it. Incredibly frustrating.

Agreed - I HATE 2:3 although evidently less than you do. I would love that they'd included a classic crop because many folks using this level of resolution would likely prefer this ratio. That said, post processing crop ... (Although I'd go for the VF crop display at composition time)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I do have a feature that really needs to be addressed. Crop mode, I use it a lot. I used it today to shoot some hummingbirds and I forget to back out of it. Really need a flashing warning somewhere off the image frame.
    There is an icon for when you are in crop mode which is a rectangle and a dotted rectangle around it. But it doesn't flash.

Craig Slingsby
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you . I'll put that screen back on my LCD display . I usually like the screen without the graphics