The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Confused about B&H A7RII Livestrean feed comments

algrove

While the Sony coorporate guy made everyone feel good about the fact that Sony has been listening to users comments and reading those comments on internet sites, I felt let down by one internet question.

The Sony rep said that they listen to and read what users want and with this information they made changes to the A7RII based on what readers wanted.

So inveitably the question of compressed RAW images came up. What I found strange was that they knew the question would come from their reactions to the question, but the Sony rep said he has taken it up with HQ (I guess meaning Sony Japan), but declined to offer any further comment about changing their way of handling RAW files, with FW or otherwise.

What a let down. Again BS from a Sony corporate guy.

V

Vivek

Why did you waste time on an event hosted by a seller with participation from the maker? It is one big advertisement.

algrove

I wanted to hear from the horse's mouth about the compressed & cooked RAW files.

What did I expect him to say after he touted Sony for listening to comments and wants from customers? More than I talked to HQ about it!

dmward

Product development is a constant juggling act between features and resources.

We always had a list of desirable features, the development of which required 3 to 4 times the engineering resources available to deliver by the anticipated release date for the product or updates.

I'd be surprised if Sony is any different. I'm not an engineer so I have no idea what is required, but it may be, as often was the case with me, that something that seemed simple would require substantial resources while something that seemed complex could be accomplished with a minor addition of resources to something already on the development list.

If changing the raw file structure touches the hardware in anyway the complexity and resources required could be dramatic. And, its not something they would want to do to only one camera. We would want it across all the A7 product line.

Jim DE

Algrove he also stated he was not allowed to comment on future products...... though the "still pic" shooting guy stated he would upgrade his firmware if it was offered later which gave a hint on what might of been discussed off camera.

algrove

Algrove he also stated he was not allowed to comment on future products...... though the "still pic" shooting guy stated he would upgrade his firmware if it was offered later which gave a hint on what might of been discussed off camera.
Yes, I caught both of those copmments too, but considering they KNEW the question was coming I would have thought a more serious reply was in order. If that is considered a future product, I am baffled. Guy had mentioned that they were working on this change. Do not know where Guy got his information from, but if that's the case why not just say they are working on it?

At least I see someone else listened to the marketing hype too.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It came from a interview about a month ago from someone at the top of the heap at Sony. It was posted on SAR. Comment was to the effect we know about the issue and we are working on it. Whatever that is supposed to mean. It's something that will just be available and we won't get a heads up. No one wants to admit they are wrong, they will tout it as a new feature .

dmward

No one wants to admit they are wrong, they will tout it as a new feature .
Along with everything else we need to consider the cultural influence relative to Sony product development and management.

I had the pleasure of working on International Standards Fora with a lot of really smart, knowledgeable and innovative engineers. It was apparent in conversations that their view on features and capabilities for the technology was being filtered through their cultural perceptions. It didn't make a difference where in the world they lived. We all see things through our experience, and worldview.

Reading about how Sony does the compression, i.e. compressing the highlight areas and not the shadow areas I can imagine a lot of engineers are scratching their heads wondering why anyone is complaining since its weighting the data to provide full detail in the shadows without significant risk to highlight detail.

dandrewk

If Tim Cook were at such a live stream regarding Apple products, how likely would it be for him to reveal ANYTHING about the rumored iPhone 6s?

This Sony live stream was not a news conference announcing a new product or big changes to firmware. It was total PR, and that's what we got. No BS, because nobody revealed anything, nor should we expect them to reveal anything.

sbay

For my decision making, I just assume that losslessly compressed RAW is never coming to the A7RII. Based on samples posted to the web, I can live with that. If they do release a firmware update, that's a bonus.

jamato8

There have been indications as Guy mentions that they would work on the RAW. I think from that, they need to be honest one way or another. I was under the impression they are going to do something. It could be that true RAW files are horrible and that they need to cook them before anyone would see them. :^)