The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Landscape focusing and FE16-35

Viramati

Hi All
I was wondering what peoples technique was with try to achieve hyperfocal focussing (or near to it) on the the wider Sony FE lenses that don't have any DOF scale. The A7 series manual focussing distances that show up on the LCD/EVF are really next to useless and I am finding it at times a little frustrating. Of course there is the rule of thumb of stopping down and focussing a third of the way into the scene but was just wondering how others dealt with this

dmward

I use the MF focus assist magnification like a ground glass on a view camera. i.e. move it around the image to see if focus is where I want it.

Naturally, this is easiest to do when on a tripod but it can be done handheld just takes some time.

Then when you go back to normal view, you'll notice that the Yellow (in my case) MF confirmation is a reasonable showing. Especially for hyper-focus.

Viramati

Thanks I tried that method today and it is okay but on the A7rII I find it quite hard to see clearly when stopped down to F8. I just wish they had a better implemented focus scale!!
Anyway luckily I usually like my background a little out of focus to give some separation from the main subject so this isn't often a problem

The Ute

Thanks I tried that method today and it is okay but on the A7rII I find it quite hard to see clearly when stopped down to F8. I just wish they had a better implemented focus scale!!
Anyway luckily I usually like my background a little out of focus to give some separation from the main subject so this isn't often a problem
Get a Batis 25. ;)

Viramati

Get a Batis 25. ;)
Yes of course the BATIS had the OLED DOF display but it is not a focal length that I can justify as I already have the FE28/f and more importantly the Leica Q which again is 28mm has very good manual focussing, an accurate DOF scale and amazing IQ

dmward

... I find it quite hard to see clearly when stopped down to F8...
When doing critical focus, do it with the lens wide open and then stop down after establishing focus.
That's the way I ALWAYS did it with manual lens on view cameras, medium format and even SLRs.

Now, we've gotten spoiled with auto focus and forget old practices that still work.

Viramati

When doing critical focus, do it with the lens wide open and then stop down after establishing focus.
That's the way I ALWAYS did it with manual lens on view cameras, medium format and even SLRs.

Now, we've gotten spoiled with auto focus and forget old practices that still work.
Thanks but my problem is not trying to get critical focus on a specific object but trying to assess DOF when stopped down which is exasperated by the lack of DOF scale on the lens. I suppose it is just frustrating and can be worked around