The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Online Reviews of the A7rII

Jim DE

Did you notice in the LL review video the one guy make a comment about a "mirror lockup mode"......... ;) I want what he was drinking.... ;)

Jim DE

I think the one guy had a brain fart and Michael was going to say something but let it fly.... no big deal anyway as I get many BF's anymore myself and can ignore these things from others...... ;)

Ken_R

We are starting to see a lot of independent reviews of the new camera popping up. Maybe a single thread for them? I'll start:

Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape has reviewed the new camera:

https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7rii-review-and-hands-on-report/

This may be one of the best yet.
Awesome review.

Basically the 645Z makes little sense now that the A7RII is out unless one really wants an OVF and the handling of a larger body. The Sony slays it. :bugeyes:

Zlatko Batistich

Awesome review.

Basically the 645Z makes little sense now that the A7RII is out unless one really wants an OVF and the handling of a larger body. The Sony slays it. :bugeyes:
The larger sensor still gives shallower depth of field, so a portrait from a 645Z may look different. It's like the difference between FF and APS-C; many prefer the look of FF. Likewise some prefer the look of a medium format like the 645Z. But the Sony is a much better value and much, much easier to carry.

uhoh7

LL are using the FE 90 against the 645. Hardly a common landscape FL, though I do carry one. The sensor cover issues hardly show at 90 on the A7 cameras.

Much more interesting would be the Batis vs appropriate FL on the medium format.

jfirneno

We are starting to see a lot of independent reviews of the new camera popping up. Maybe a single thread for them? I'll start:

Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape has reviewed the new camera:

https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7rii-review-and-hands-on-report/

This may be one of the best yet.
Andrew:
They are starting to pile up. And of course the variance between opinions is wide. But what is interesting is that all reviews say that A7R II is vastly better than A7R I. It appears that the A7 II and the A7R II show that Sony has found its way to a very workable mirrorless full-frame camera. The major flaws (auto-focus accuracy, construction weaknesses (shutter, mount, etc.) are greatly improved. The remaining flaws (lossy artifacts and low light AF performance) don't represent deal breakers for the vast majority of enthusiast users. The fact that some of the more sceptical reviewers seem pleasantly surprised make me think we've reached a tipping point.

Are the cameras perfect? Hell no!
Has Sony impressed the photo world? I'd say definitely.

Kinda makes me excited about seeing the A7S II (and more so the A7 III).

Now that I'm officially a fanboy it's nice to see so many former detractors (that's right Kai, I mean you) jumping on the bandwagon.

uhoh7

Andrew:
But what is interesting is that all reviews say that A7R II is vastly better than A7R I.
It's also bigger, heavier, and costs an extra grand. It better be better, right? :)

Hype me once, shame on me. Hype me twice.....well let's just say I'm much more wary after my first rides on the Sony Bandwagon. LOL.

But I love to see everyone having fun with a new toy...errr serious camera, I mean :)

Good for the industry for sure. And good for our eyes with so many excellent shooters on the case. Whatever the remaining issues, they will make the r2 look great. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's also bigger, heavier, and costs an extra grand. It better be better, right? :)

Hype me once, shame on me. Hype me twice.....well let's just say I'm much more wary after my first rides on the Sony Bandwagon. LOL.

But I love to see everyone having fun with a new toy...errr serious camera, I mean :)

Good for the industry for sure. And good for our eyes with so many excellent shooters on the case. Whatever the remaining issues, they will make the r2 look great. :)
There's a solution to the extra grand: Buy it second hand for a thousand in a couple of years, after the /IV is out, and pretend it's 2015 :D

jfirneno

If that's bigger and heavier then my A-850 was a behemoth. Definitely more expensive. But give it a year. When A7R III comes out you can get the A7R II for much less.

Yeah, you have to understand the Sony business model. Took me a while too. If you want to save money never early adopt. And with the short upgrade cycle it always make sense to wait until the features you must have are fully mature. I've been waiting since the A-850 for the low light capability of the Nikon D3S to reach Sony. But before I bought the A7S I'd bought or rented the NEX5N, A7 and A7R. But I haven't bought the A7 II or the A7R II. Maybe I'm catching on!

I don't know about the industry but it's definitely been encouraging for me to have more FE lenses available. That was a sign for me that Sony was buying into the success of the FE system. Making the 28mm and the 35 f1.4 (and the 2 Zeiss lines) definitely adds to the viability of the system (from my point of view).