Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sony A7RII/ Batis 25mm , Batis 85mm and Sony 35mm 1.4 System Tests

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony A7RII/ Batis 25mm , Batis 85mm and Sony 35mm 1.4 System Tests

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Lots of work, Guy, thanks so much. I did make an observation regarding the 85mm. In your post #5 showing 100% pixels at f1.8 the building and light are obviously soft. However, the item on the pole behind it 'is' much more in focus and I would say really in focus compared to the building..... just an observation.

Victor
    I will check that out. I actually ran the 85 twice
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like I was very slightly off center to wall (Maybe 6 inches) . One issue is that wall has no center point to go by and I may have twisted the camera ever so slightly to center it. Completely my mistake.

Here is another series , I actually shot 2 series and look at the right side and at 2.8 the gas pedal is starting to go down..

I have the raws right here

https://www.hightail.com/download/bX...SWVENlNjZDhUQw

Thank you Victor for your keen eye on that one
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    Thank you for the excellent information and unbiased write up. I apologize for a new person question. I am coming from a Canon 5D III. Instead of building up my Canon lens collection I want a fresh start with the Sony system. It would be great to own all three primes (and the Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8). Of these lenses, which would you start off with?
    -Batis 25mm 2
    -Sony 35mm 1.4
    -Sony 55mm 1.8
    -Batis 85mm 1.8

I would like to start with the Batis 85 (for portraits) and a nice walk around lens (and maybe fill in the spaces later). Is it wise to go with the Batis 25 or the Sony 35 as my general walk around lens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem is the Batis 25 and 85 are really hard to get at the moment but I would start with the 55 as folks just love that lens and it can be your shorter 85 if need be with crop mode.

The one question I always ask folks is which lens are you more likely to have has the lens cap lens. Always on and gets a great percentage of use. Most people its a 50 and for me its a 35. So once you know that than you can gap for each lens

Lets say its 35mm than 15, 25, 35, 85

If its was a 50 than a good gap is 21,28,50, 85/90 and than something longer on both

If your just getting into the system and want to keep costs down. Than the 28 F2 is really cheap and quite good and than the 55 and if your into Macro the 90 is very good. The good news you can buy all three today and not wait

If money is not the biggest issue and very high quality than yea the 25,35 and 85 are about some of the best you can buy in native glass along with the 55.

Now if you like manual only lenses but still native the Loxia 35 and 50 are very very nice and you can find them today in stock.

But you need to figure out that lens cap lens as that is the key to a complete system. I always say think system purchase not as individual pieces because than you wind up having to sell something later to get your gapping correctly

Zooms the 16-35 is very nice but from 16 to about 26mm than its starts to lose quality

BTW don't ever be afraid to ask those newbie questions. Please this is how you learn and most folks here love to help.

Oh and if you need a body . I think the folks at Newtonville in MA have one in stock. The A7rII, tell them I sent you

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome info.
    Thanks for sharing your findings.
    Ken
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for doing all this work, Guy. I have an 85mm Batis on order, so this is very useful to me.

One question: Since the A7RII always opens up the aperture to focus, unlike the other A7 models, I wonder if there are any issues with focus shift? I see some slight possibility of this in your Batis 85 aperture series', between f1.8 and f4.

--d

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do not think so but I will check it tommorrow.

I'll shoot a newspaper at a angle or something like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No not at all. Just tried three diffrent lengths and nothing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Gotta run to the store but I have some images like this to post for sure so please check in later

Batis 25mm. Folks BUY this lens

I hate to say I told you so and that I called it but as great as the 85 is (the 90 Macro perhaps stole a bit of its thunder too) the 25 is the real gem of the first two Batis lenses.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmarker1 View Post
    Guy,
    Thank you for the excellent information and unbiased write up. I apologize for a new person question. I am coming from a Canon 5D III. Instead of building up my Canon lens collection I want a fresh start with the Sony system. It would be great to own all three primes (and the Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8). Of these lenses, which would you start off with?
    -Batis 25mm 2
    -Sony 35mm 1.4
    -Sony 55mm 1.8
    -Batis 85mm 1.8

I would like to start with the Batis 85 (for portraits) and a nice walk around lens (and maybe fill in the spaces later). Is it wise to go with the Batis 25 or the Sony 35 as my general walk around lens?
    That's my exact kit (with a 135/1.8 added in for good measure.) It would depend on budget but Guy's advice is spot on. IMO those are the "best" native lenses in the FE mount but the Loxia's aren't far behind and the 28FE isn't too far behind them. Some like the 35/2.8FE but it's a lens that I quickly sold for something faster with more character. I'd choose the 28FE over it everyday and that's saying a lot if you knew how much I didn't care for 28 too much.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice to see the images and I know from experience all the work that goes into a presentation like this.

But for me it's hard to tell alot from the tests because the test frame is not a true infinity and the details are also simple and relatively close. This is not where the Sonys really struggle.

Even so I do not see the Batis corners coming in, but I can't be sure. Not any deal breaker if the plain edges are available.

Again, for me, nothing beats a simple shot from a little hill overlooking a town, such that all the frame is at a true infiinty. Then the lens performance becomes very clear.

But I think you have an excellent lens set there, Guy Great color rendition. I think you are very happy with the body, and that's a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may have a true infinity shot somewhere. I'll look

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the hard work Guy. These lenses are a must have for the A7R2.... Now only if the Batis would be in stock anywhere

Post Thanks / Like

Geneva IL concourse was today.
    There were some outstanding cars.

I took my A7RII and Batis 25mm.
    On the way home I stopped at a forest preserve park and shot some backgrounds.

Here are a couple of results;

Name:  20150823DSC03610-1987B.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  732.4 KB

Name:  20150823DSC02944-1985B.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  576.2 KB
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread - kudos to Guy for the work he's done, especially putting the RAWs up for inspection.

My takeaway: Those images with the 25 wouldn't have looked out of place in the MF forum. Heck, even if they had appeared in the 'Technical Camera Images' section I wouldn't have looked twice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great tests,. takes a lot of effort to put those lenses through their paces, Guy.

I won't be buying the 85mm Batis because I plan on using the 90mm Macro G OSS for portraiture and F/2.8 should be fast enough. Plus the 90mm is so darn good as a macro / studio lens.

I may buy the obviously excellent 25mm Batis, but if I do, it won't replace the versatile Zeiss 16-35mm F/4, which is close to the Basis in performance over 80% of the image, but would compliment it

For a relatively lightwight AND versatile kit, the 90mm macro G OSS, 16-35mm F/4 Zeiss ZA and a 35mm F/2.8 walkaround is hard to beat. I can *just* about pack it all in a Bilingham Pro camera bag, along with Lee filter system. An alternative would be the two Battii (?!) 25mm and 85mm and the faster 35mm F/1.4, which might give me a theoretical edge in terms of absolute quality with the 25mm, but I'd loose the macro capability of the 90mm G OSS, which is as good as the 85mm Batis and the sheer wideagle versatility of the also excellent 16-35mm.

Of course, its a nice problem to have, such excellent choices with no duffers.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I won't be buying the 85mm Batis because I plan on using the 90mm Macro G OSS for portraiture and F/2.8 should be fast enough. Plus the 90mm is so darn good as a macro / studio lens.
    My thoughts exactly. I had the 85mm Batis on order since day one, but cancelled it last week. The 90mm Macro is so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I had the 85mm Batis on order since day one, but cancelled it last week. The 90mm Macro is so good.
    Yep, I'm in that club. The 90mm Macro is my choice over the obviously excellent Batis 85mm.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone with the Batis 85 tried it with an extension tube?
    I know that true macro lenses have a flatter plane of focus, but would be interesting to see performance with a tube for close focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy, great work and is much appreciated by all.

Echoes what I've noted with my kit and said on another thread here. The A7RII with the Batis 25 is about the best camera and lens combo I've ever held in my hands especially given its size relative to MF.

FWIW, I've done some comparison with the 16-25 f4 at 25mm with the Batis. The former has less lateral CA but the latter beats it comfortably on flare resistance, center sharpness and color/contrast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    The A7RII with the Batis 25 is about the best camera and lens combo I've ever held in my hands especially given its size relative to MF.
    That's quite an endorsement, but I'd agree for the same reasons, and I'd go further and say the same about the A7RII and 90mm G OSS (ever tried working with a Medium format Macro lens?! - if you have, you'll know what I mean )
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Total understand folks wanting the macro instead of the Batis. I thought of it myself. If I had the 55 it would make some sense. That would give me a fast lens after 35. But my needs lean towards the 85. I'm going to go back and test it again, I'm just very anal and being off slightly is pissing me off. It's rare I make a mistake doing these. Even though we can easily figure it out that 2.8 gets it going. It's more me than the results.

Extension tubes on the 85 was one question. I did start a thread on that. They work nice. I have a gig Wednesday using them so I'll update on use.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I'd also like to add my thanks for your effort in providing this side by side test, much appreciated and plenty of good comparative samples.
    However that being said and given the possibility of some slight skewing on the 85mm, I am really disappointed with its corner performance. Its centre sharpness is stunning no doubt.
    Of all of them .... the 25mm Batis is the one that has really surprised me, so much so that it will be the one I will immediately add once I find a shop with stock.

Thanks again.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

Like others, I'd dearly love a comparison with the Batis 85 + extension tubes vs. the FE90. I don't expect the Batis combo to have the same magnification of a true macro lens, but then I rarely go 1:1.

I've ordered the tubes, but don't have the FE90. For the day I borrowed that lens, it truly is awesome. But it's also a beast, and I'd never take it along for any long photography hikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea love to test those two out against each other.

Okay Eoin you made me feel guilty. I may run up and rerun the 85 again. I know it's good at 2.8 just need to be sure it is. Might bring my tape measure out there. It's far easier on the wides because your close but the 85 I'm about 100 ft away.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, your OSS on/off tripod test was really interesting to see these results. I too forget to turn off OSS on the tripod with my 16-35mm sometimes, but never thought to compare to see if there was a big difference. Might be worth looking into this a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

... Okay Eoin you made me feel guilty.
    Moi, perish the thought. It's not just your samples of the 85 and it's corners, its all the 85 images I've seen, I'm not feeling the rendering. There is just something very pleasing about the 25's rendering that is making it stick out as a stunning performer.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Guy, your OSS on/off tripod test was really interesting to see these results. I too forget to turn off OSS on the tripod with my 16-35mm sometimes, but never thought to compare to see if there was a big difference. Might be worth looking into this a bit.
    Yes I would love to hear from Sony on this. If I'm guessing correctly when IBIS senses no movement it just halts, stops or goes to rest. One of those

It would make no sense to keep moving if it sensed no movement from the user side. At least one would think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Moi, perish the thought. It's not just your samples of the 85 and it's corners, its all the 85 images I've seen, I'm not feeling the rendering. There is just something very pleasing about the 25's rendering that is making it stick out as a stunning performer.
    Yea end of the day I think the 25 just looks better , I agree with you. It could be the rendering but it might just be our eyes as well liking the perspective of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The other thing that might be doing something as well. Is I maybe giving it a touch too much sharpening and taking some of that smooth look we have been talking about with the A7rII away. That's certainly a possibility.

It's a great lens and we maybe being a touch picky but that's okay we should be. These are investments and you always want to correct. For right now it's the only game in town being native and faster than 2.8 in 85.

I know one thing for sure ,it's far better corrected than say the A mount 85 1.4 and Zeiss 85 1.4 nik/Can mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm getting a Minolta 200 back so I may try that IBIS test with a longer lens. I would certainly think longer would be worse case. So if it passes that than I'm just going to leave it on, take the control for it out of my custom buttons as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone great to see all this testing so I can start funding Sony too...LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Went back out and ran the 35 again. No change it still has the asymmetry issue. And the Batis 85 corners starts to get it going at 2.8 and F4 is really nice. So pretty much what we original came up with. Lot of processing and if was better or worse I would do it but seems the same.

Post Thanks / Like

...I may try that IBIS test with a longer lens. I would certainly think longer would be worse case.
    This got me curious, so I ran a quick test in my office with my Tamron 150-600mm. Initial inspection seems to show a very, very slight sharpness advantage with IBIS turned OFF when on a tripod. (UPDATE - see my later post, but I think this was just a fluke here - in the more controlled tests I found no difference between ON and OFF.)

I'll run the test more carefully today and see if I can confirm that result.

These are 100% center crops, A7Rii - 460mm 0.8 second @ ƒ16

First - IBIS ON
    Name:  OSS ON-4 150-600mm F5-6.3 SSM @ ƒ16.0.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  155.9 KB

Now - IBIS OFF
    Name:  OSS OFF-4 150-600mm F5-6.3 SSM @ ƒ16.0.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  155.5 KB

Here's the whole frame.

Name:  Full scene.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  100.4 KB
    Last edited by MikeEvangelist; 26th August 2015 at 07:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Mike for your report. I guess at some certain focal length lens we will see the slight difference . I'll try with my 200 in the next days and see if it shows there but the Batis 85 as we seen it did not. Not sure how IBIS senses this but must be with the longer lenses it feels movement of some type. Not sure guessing a little here. Very interesting though, be nice to know where that cut off is.

Post Thanks / Like

IBIS ON or OFF - follow up

Ran a more controlled test series this morning with the 150-600mm, at various focal lengths, shutter speeds and apertures, with IBIS both ON and OFF.

My conclusion - there is zero difference, when shooting from a steady tripod, whether IBIS is ON or OFF. Literally, in all shots, I could see no difference.

Here's the ON and OFF shots, 100% crops - see if you can see any difference. (these are at 500mm, ƒ8 @ 1/100)

Name:  Second.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  481.6 KB

Name:  First.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  477.3 KB

And the full frame -

Name:  IBIS OFF - 500mm-2.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  238.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, thanks for running these tests with longer focal lengths. In your last series, do the left and right edges (with the foliage) look the same with IBIS "on" or "off"? There was speculation that the pitch/yaw IBIS adjustments might make a difference on the edges of the frame. If your tests (and Guy's) show that with IBIS "on" when using a tripod there is no sharpness degradation, then I'll leave IBIS on all the time and remove it from one of my custom buttons.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    In your last series, do the left and right edges (with the foliage) look the same with IBIS "on" or "off"?
    Same story on the edges. (I didn't originally post the edge images because the Tamron's edges aren't that great above 400mm, and I didn't want to cloud the issue.)

But here is the edge from that same shot. I won't label which is which, so you can try to tell.

Name:  IBIS OFF - 500mm-3.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  211.0 KB

Name:  IBIS ON - 500mm-3.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  214.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, they look very, very close. If anything, I'd say the bottom crop is ever so slightly more sharp. That could be due to subject movement, camera movement, my eyesight, or power of suggestion.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    If anything, I'd say the bottom crop is ever so slightly more sharp.
    I'm going for power of suggestion, since the bottom one is with IBIS turned ON.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone going with the 90 Macro instead of 85 Batis?

Thinking of a 25 Batis, 35 1.4, 55 1.8, and 90 Macro kit....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep tests going. If you have one you did. Consider this a home

Mike great work

I'm on a gig . Camera working perfectly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jco611 View Post
    I did.

I thought I needed the speed of the Batis, but out of curiosity I did an analysis of the images in my library that were taken with fast 85-100mm lenses (I've had several). To my surprise, hardly any of them were shot wide open. In fact, the bulk were at ƒ4-5.6. So, while I love fast portrait glass, in reality I seldom utilize the speed.

That realization, combined with the flexibility of a macro, pushed me to go with the 90mm. It is spectacular, btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jco611 View Post

Thinking of a 25 Batis, 35 1.4, 55 1.8, and 90 Macro kit....
    I went with the 90mm Macro instead of the Batis 85mm. I'm not a macro shooter per se, but I did want the flexibility. Plus, the 90mm is available immediately and the Batis isn't, and the 90mm is less expensive. As Mike pointed out, it's razor sharp. Look towards the end of the Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras (all of them) thread to see some examples.

Your lens lineup is what I'm selecting, and I'm still waiting on the arrival of the Batis 25mm.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As of today my lens kit is the VC 15mm III, Batis 25, Sony 35 1.4, Batis 85 and the Minolta 200 HS 200 2.8. After a lot of playing around with this since the release of the A7r this is what I have come down too and I'm extremely happy about it.

I still need a cheap 24-70

And like to get my Loxia 50 or the 55 back in the kit. I'm basically done though. Just wanna go shoot. Next week I'm on vacation and taking it all with me. But after testing all these lenses I'm really one happy camper.

I did shoot the 85 with extension tubes yesterday and will post that today for those with the 85 and a little need for full time macro it maybe a great 80 dollar option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think waiting for the Batis 85 may take some time and the 90 you can get today is maybe buy the 90 until your 85 comes in and you get some time with the 90 to see if it stays or goes when the 85 is ready for you. Heck even if you want to sell the 90 at that time even used you could get 850 at the least so the loss is very minimum if it got down to that. Think of it as renting

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

What about the 28-70 kit lens? Very cheap and not much worse than the 24-70 (which says more about the 24-70, but never mind).

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been thinking about it for sure. You know I only need it for when people get on stage to get awards at events because I can't move myself. So it's always going to be like f6.3 anyway. I just do a lot of these corporate award dinners and it's really the only time I need it. The 25 and 35 can do the grip and grins with flash or even get the cheap 28 F2 for that.

See it's not always fun being a Pro that bread and butter work is about as boring as watching paint dry. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought I would add these as real world samples of the 35 and 25

35mm

25mm

Great IQ from both lenses. Top of the class

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought I would add these as real world samples of the 35 and 25
    Wow, 1 sec. exposures with humans! You're a brave soul. Or maybe those were mannequins.

Joe