The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r ll with Metabones IV issue

jpaulmoore

Hello All,
I made my first run with my A7r ll today on a architecture photo shoot. I used the Metabones IV adapter with the Canon 24 TSE lens. I am thinking this is probably a Metabones issue, but on several occasions, I seemed to be losing connection with the camera, where either the F-stop or shutter speeds weren't reading. I was able to do a workaround by detaching and reattaching the lens and get it to work properly. Has anyone had or heard of this issue? I just got the Metabones adapter and it seems to fit snugly but well. It actually fits better than the Metabones lll fit on my A7r. Is firmware required for this adapter? Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
Regards,
J. Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You should probably update the firmware first and there is also a button on the adpter you may have to use that. Google Metabones they have a list for the button and firmware updates available. I would give those a try and see if it fixes the issue.

jlm

Workshop Member
made me take a look at my metabones' on the RII...no idea about firmware on the adapters

i have the III on the 24mm and the IV on the 17mm; both seem to work no problems setting aperture, though i use Aperture priority and manual focus with these lenses

Last edited:

jpaulmoore

I just discovered that I can't update the firmware on my Metabones IV due to me still being on Mountain Lion. I am one of those who waits until I have no choice before upgrading operating systems. I just hope that my Metabones IV work work for me and that it was a temporary glitch I was experiencing. I guess it could be a defective unit but I need to do more testing. I am assuming I could send it back and have them make the firmware update.
Regards,
J. Paul

Slingers

I have a metabones III and it does this regularly. The only solution is to turn the camera off, dismount the adapter and reattach. You have to send the III in for a firmware upgrade so I have never updated it.

jrp

I just got a a Metabones Leica M to Sony E and it seems a bit less smooth to attach with body or lens to the adapter than the Voigtlander or Novoflex equivalents. Is this par for the course?

bwana4swahili

Hello All,
I made my first run with my A7r ll today on a architecture photo shoot. I used the Metabones IV adapter with the Canon 24 TSE lens. I am thinking this is probably a Metabones issue, but on several occasions, I seemed to be losing connection with the camera, where either the F-stop or shutter speeds weren't reading. I was able to do a workaround by detaching and reattaching the lens and get it to work properly. Has anyone had or heard of this issue? I just got the Metabones adapter and it seems to fit snugly but well. It actually fits better than the Metabones lll fit on my A7r. Is firmware required for this adapter? Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
Regards,
J. Paul
I've tested a Metabones III adapter with every Canon lens I own, as well Sigma and Tamron lenses... No problems with autofocus or hanging. I do have Commlite and Fotodiox adapters that give me all sorts of problems with old Canon lenses as well Sigma and Tamron, but they work well with new Canon lenses.

As far as the Metabones IV adapter goes, I have one on order but haven't tried one yet.

bwa

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just got a a Metabones Leica M to Sony E and it seems a bit less smooth to attach with body or lens to the adapter than the Voigtlander or Novoflex equivalents. Is this par for the course?
Mine is pretty tight as well

sbay

I have the Metabones IV (BT4 with firmware 0.41) and the 24 TSE II. I shot with this combo tonight for about 2 hours (handheld and tripod) and didn't have any issues. However, I just got the metabones (and the A7RII) so I don't have a lot of hours logged.

I've had 1 lens fail to register on initial mounting and 1 disconnect although this was not with the 24 TSE. So far, the problem seems infrequent.

Hausen

I updated the firmware on my Metabones IV and this error seems to happen a lot more regularly on my 3 Canon TS-E lenses. Hope metabones is listening and there is a fix for this.

jpaulmoore

David, are you having more of an issue after the firmware update? I just wanted to be clear on that.
Thanks,
J. Paul

Hausen

David, are you having more of an issue after the firmware update? I just wanted to be clear on that.
Thanks,
J. Paul
Yip, it was an intermittent issue before but yesterday and this morning when I tried it was constant. Updated the firmware on Sunday night after reading this thread:( Have the 24,45 and 90 TS-Es and seems to be happening on all three. Have turned off and removed the battery and will try again after work today and see what happens.

jpaulmoore

I sent a support ticket in to Metabones about the issues I was having with the Metabones IV adapter that I am using on my Sony A7r II. This is there response.

Thanks for your enquiry!

We are still working on the test with the new Sony A7R II and our products, new firmware hasn’t been launched yet.

Would you please provide following information for your reference?

1. Current firmware version of the Mark IV
2. the setting is on Green Mode or Advance mode
3. Will it possible for sending us photo/video for identifying the issue?

I thought that the Metabones IV had already been tested with the A7r II. Unfortunately, I don't know what firmware version came with my Metabones IV. I don't know how to confirm this. If it requires an operating system newer than 10.8.5 I can't test it or update it anyway. I don't know what mode I was in (Green or Advanced) because I didn't know there was this option (my adapter didn't come with any instructions) Finally, I can't send them a photo or video of the issue, due to the fact that I was struggling to make it work on a photo gig and was just trying to get the job done. I can certainly (in the future) try to capture what I am seeing under a more controlled environment.

Regards,
J. Paul

Annna T

I sent a support ticket in to Metabones about the issues I was having with the Metabones IV adapter that I am using on my Sony A7r II. This is there response.

Thanks for your enquiry!

We are still working on the test with the new Sony A7R II and our products, new firmware hasn’t been launched yet.

I thought that the Metabones IV had already been tested with the A7r II. Unfortunately, I don't know what firmware version came with my Metabones IV. I don't know how to confirm this. If it requires an operating system newer than 10.8.5 I can't test it or update it anyway. I don't know what mode I was in (Green or Advanced) because I didn't know there was this option (my adapter didn't come with any instructions) Finally, I can't send them a photo or video of the issue, due to the fact that I was struggling to make it work on a photo gig and was just trying to get the job done. I can certainly (in the future) try to capture what I am seeing under a more controlled environment.

Regards,
J. Paul
Look at the Metabones website. They explain a lot of things.

Here is a link to the page of your adapter Metabones EF->Emount : Metabones®

Then on this page, look in the right margin : there are several links interesting for you, including how to determine the firmware version (easy!) and what is the difference between green mode and the advanced mode.

How to determine your version of the adapter : Metabones®
Green mode and advanced modes : Metabones®

There are also explanations and download links concerning the firmware updates, both for Win and Mac.

jamato8

Thanks for your enquiry!

Regards,
J. Paul
The A7RII can tell you what version your camera FW is and the adapter. It is under the last icon, the tool chest and #6. I had problems with .41, the latest FW and reloaded it and cleared the problems I was having. I have also been in contact with metabones over the last few weeks and have given them a huge list of Canon lenses that work, partially work and those that don't work along with other information.

kimbrunstudio

I have a metabones III and it does this regularly. The only solution is to turn the camera off, dismount the adapter and reattach. You have to send the III in for a firmware upgrade so I have never updated it.
I sent my Metabones III back to Hong Kong for the firmware update prior to getting my A7rII. As of today, it works much great with my Canon lenses. Not so good with the Sigma 50 ART.

As for the "free" firmware update, they ask for $35 for return shipping but the "to them" shipping costs a little over $100. Fedex explains that to ship to China you pay Customs and Duties. So the "free" firmware update is really around $135.

jrp

Not par for my course. I have the same adapter and it is tight (as I expect it to be) on both the lens-to-adapter mount and on the adapter-to-camera mount. The fit is solid with no play whatsoever.

Joe
I'm putting the Metabones out to grass; it is so tight that I struggled to unattached it from some v expensive Leica lenses. I got the Voigtlander II (to replace the I, which vignetted with long, full-frame lenses). I'll also have a look at the Voigtlander close-focus adapter; I can't get the Leica goggles for the 90mm f4 to fit onto the Sony because of the grip.