The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r ll with Metabones IV issue

NoBob

The Fotodiox adapter works fine with the 17 and 24 Canon TS lenses.

I rented out the Metabones IV to try it out, but found it wouldn't work with the Sigma 50 Art (the Fotodiox does).

I sent my Metabones III back to Hong Kong for the firmware update prior to getting my A7rII. As of today, it works much great with my Canon lenses. Not so good with the Sigma 50 ART.

As for the "free" firmware update, they ask for $35 for return shipping but the "to them" shipping costs a little over $100. Fedex explains that to ship to China you pay Customs and Duties. So the "free" firmware update is really around $135.
Hi

Just like to inform that although Hong Kong is part of China but it is a "special administrative region" within China. It remains a free port and import duties only apply to a few selected commodities. Camera and accessories certainly are not within the customs and duties list. Suggest to check with Fedex for clarification.

Regards
Philip

Annna T

The Fotodiox adapter works fine with the 17 and 24 Canon TS lenses.

I rented out the Metabones IV to try it out, but found it wouldn't work with the Sigma 50 Art (the Fotodiox does).
Do you get the EXIF info and can you adjust the aperture from the A7r body with the Fotodiox adapter ? To make it shorter : is it a smart adapter or a dumb adapter ?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I have a similar problem with mine. I am pretty sure it is a glitch and that you need the adapter replaced.

Best regards
Erik

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hi,

I have a similar problem with mine. I am pretty sure it is a glitch and that you need the adapter replaced.

Best regards
Erik
Me too. If I see F-- I release and relocate the adapter and then it's fine. Also with the 24TSE II. If I recall correctly though I think it also happened on my A7II/A7r.

I generally shoot manual with it. I can't vouch for behaviour in aperture priority etc.

jpaulmoore

When I contacted Metabones support, they said they are still testing the adapter for use with the A7r ll. Maybe a firmware update coming to fix this, or do you think some of us (including me) actually have defective adapters?
Thanks,
J. Paul

Stefan Steib

I have a Viltrox on my A7RII, which has exactly the same behaviour.
Normally no big thing, but you have to watch it as when it happens in the middle of a series the Aperture may open up or not correspond to automatic setting.
Unlocking and relocking the Adapter WITH the lens as a unit (!!! - always mount lens to adapter and then to camera ! ) will always solve it immediately.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

kimbrunstudio

Hi

Just like to inform that although Hong Kong is part of China but it is a "special administrative region" within China. It remains a free port and import duties only apply to a few selected commodities. Camera and accessories certainly are not within the customs and duties list. Suggest to check with Fedex for clarification.

Regards
Philip
How would I go about checking on why it cost over $100USD to send the adapter to Hong Kong and only $35USD to return it via FedEx both ways? If the clerk tells me it is a Chinese "Customs and Duties", where do I find the actual costs? Not that FedEx will refund any money, just others might avoid this shipping mess.

Thanks Philip.

craigosh

I've had this intermittently with my MB IV, A7r and 24mm tse, even with the latest firmware. It's worse some days than others. I just give the lens a slight 'twist' to the left (viewing from camera back) and it sorts it out. It's almost like the contacts aren't quite aligned correctly. It's fine with all my other EF lenses though.

jpaulmoore

Thanks for this update. Looks like I am out of luck for upgrading due to my still being on Mountain Lion. Is there a workaround for this or possibly sending my adapter in for updating?
J. Paul

Hausen

That upgrade certainly works for my Canon 200 2.8. Now I have AF, really happy with that because I nearly bought the Viltrox adaptor on Saturday but thought I would wait for a MB firmware update. Happy, saved $300

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks for this update. Looks like I am out of luck for upgrading due to my still being on Mountain Lion. Is there a workaround for this or possibly sending my adapter in for updating?
J. Paul
Why ML ... I am running El Cap on my 2010 Mac Pro and it is very nice ... most of the upgrades have be seamless since SL.

Bob

jpaulmoore

Why ML ... I am running El Cap on my 2010 Mac Pro and it is very nice ... most of the upgrades have be seamless since SL.

Bob
Bob, still on ML because of my workflow and having things tuned in perfectly. It's about time for some new hardware and will probably keep with ML until I make the change.
Regards,
J. Paul

jpaulmoore

I am having issues with the new firmware version 0.44 crashing on a Mac. Anybody else having an issue?
Regards,
J. Paul

jpaulmoore

Hello All,
I made my first run with my A7r ll today on a architecture photo shoot. I used the Metabones IV adapter with the Canon 24 TSE lens. I am thinking this is probably a Metabones issue, but on several occasions, I seemed to be losing connection with the camera, where either the F-stop or shutter speeds weren't reading. I was able to do a workaround by detaching and reattaching the lens and get it to work properly. Has anyone had or heard of this issue? I just got the Metabones adapter and it seems to fit snugly but well. It actually fits better than the Metabones lll fit on my A7r. Is firmware required for this adapter? Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
Regards,
J. Paul
Hello all, I was finally able to do the update using a friends mac with Yosemite (more current version) of OS. I had been in contact with support at Metabones, and while friendly, they kept telling me that the firmware would work on 10.8. Lots of wasted time. The good news is that I have the new version.

How is this update working for those that have tested it?
Regards,
Paul

jpaulmoore

Hello All,
I made my first run with my A7r ll today on a architecture photo shoot. I used the Metabones IV adapter with the Canon 24 TSE lens. I am thinking this is probably a Metabones issue, but on several occasions, I seemed to be losing connection with the camera, where either the F-stop or shutter speeds weren't reading. I was able to do a workaround by detaching and reattaching the lens and get it to work properly. Has anyone had or heard of this issue? I just got the Metabones adapter and it seems to fit snugly but well. It actually fits better than the Metabones lll fit on my A7r. Is firmware required for this adapter? Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
Regards,
J. Paul
*Update - After updating my Metabones IV to the most current firmware my issue was not resolved. During a photo shoot yesterday, I had to re-attach my lens, metabones adapter or both after every shot to get it to work. To confirm my suspicions, I used my older Metabones lll adapter and operation was normal. I have been in contact with Metabones and they want me to ship it back for repair. Are any of you having this problem? I do see now that there is a version of this adapter with flocking. Anybody using this version? I am wondering if the flocking has the potential to wear off and become a sensor dust/debris problem. I hope to get this resolved soon, it has tainted my experience with the new Sony A7r ll (no fault of Sony).
Regards,
J. Paul