Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony A7r ll with Metabones IV issue

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7r ll with Metabones IV issue

Hello All,
    I made my first run with my A7r ll today on a architecture photo shoot. I used the Metabones IV adapter with the Canon 24 TSE lens. I am thinking this is probably a Metabones issue, but on several occasions, I seemed to be losing connection with the camera, where either the F-stop or shutter speeds weren't reading. I was able to do a workaround by detaching and reattaching the lens and get it to work properly. Has anyone had or heard of this issue? I just got the Metabones adapter and it seems to fit snugly but well. It actually fits better than the Metabones lll fit on my A7r. Is firmware required for this adapter? Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony A7r ll with Metabones IV issue

You should probably update the firmware first and there is also a button on the adpter you may have to use that. Google Metabones they have a list for the button and firmware updates available. I would give those a try and see if it fixes the issue.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy! I hope this works because it sure made my photo shoot a lot more troublesome.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

made me take a look at my metabones' on the RII...no idea about firmware on the adapters

i have the III on the 24mm and the IV on the 17mm; both seem to work no problems setting aperture, though i use Aperture priority and manual focus with these lenses
    Last edited by jlm; 22nd August 2015 at 10:14.

Post Thanks / Like

I just discovered that I can't update the firmware on my Metabones IV due to me still being on Mountain Lion. I am one of those who waits until I have no choice before upgrading operating systems. I just hope that my Metabones IV work work for me and that it was a temporary glitch I was experiencing. I guess it could be a defective unit but I need to do more testing. I am assuming I could send it back and have them make the firmware update.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I have a metabones III and it does this regularly. The only solution is to turn the camera off, dismount the adapter and reattach. You have to send the III in for a firmware upgrade so I have never updated it.
    Craig Slingsby
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a a Metabones Leica M to Sony E and it seems a bit less smooth to attach with body or lens to the adapter than the Voigtlander or Novoflex equivalents. Is this par for the course?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    Hello All,
    I made my first run with my A7r ll today on a architecture photo shoot. I used the Metabones IV adapter with the Canon 24 TSE lens. I am thinking this is probably a Metabones issue, but on several occasions, I seemed to be losing connection with the camera, where either the F-stop or shutter speeds weren't reading. I was able to do a workaround by detaching and reattaching the lens and get it to work properly. Has anyone had or heard of this issue? I just got the Metabones adapter and it seems to fit snugly but well. It actually fits better than the Metabones lll fit on my A7r. Is firmware required for this adapter? Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
    Regards,
    J. Paul
    I've tested a Metabones III adapter with every Canon lens I own, as well Sigma and Tamron lenses... No problems with autofocus or hanging. I do have Commlite and Fotodiox adapters that give me all sorts of problems with old Canon lenses as well Sigma and Tamron, but they work well with new Canon lenses.

As far as the Metabones IV adapter goes, I have one on order but haven't tried one yet.

bwa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrp View Post
    I just got a a Metabones Leica M to Sony E and it seems a bit less smooth to attach with body or lens to the adapter than the Voigtlander or Novoflex equivalents. Is this par for the course?
    Not par for my course. I have the same adapter and it is tight (as I expect it to be) on both the lens-to-adapter mount and on the adapter-to-camera mount. The fit is solid with no play whatsoever.

Joe

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrp View Post
    Mine is pretty tight as well
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Metabones IV (BT4 with firmware 0.41) and the 24 TSE II. I shot with this combo tonight for about 2 hours (handheld and tripod) and didn't have any issues. However, I just got the metabones (and the A7RII) so I don't have a lot of hours logged.

I've had 1 lens fail to register on initial mounting and 1 disconnect although this was not with the 24 TSE. So far, the problem seems infrequent.
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net

Post Thanks / Like

I updated the firmware on my Metabones IV and this error seems to happen a lot more regularly on my 3 Canon TS-E lenses. Hope metabones is listening and there is a fix for this.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

David, are you having more of an issue after the firmware update? I just wanted to be clear on that.
    Thanks,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

David, are you having more of an issue after the firmware update? I just wanted to be clear on that.
    Thanks,
    J. Paul
    Yip, it was an intermittent issue before but yesterday and this morning when I tried it was constant. Updated the firmware on Sunday night after reading this thread Have the 24,45 and 90 TS-Es and seems to be happening on all three. Have turned off and removed the battery and will try again after work today and see what happens.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent a support ticket in to Metabones about the issues I was having with the Metabones IV adapter that I am using on my Sony A7r II. This is there response.

Thanks for your enquiry!

We are still working on the test with the new Sony A7R II and our products, new firmware hasn’t been launched yet.

Would you please provide following information for your reference?

1. Current firmware version of the Mark IV
    2. the setting is on Green Mode or Advance mode
    3. Will it possible for sending us photo/video for identifying the issue?

I thought that the Metabones IV had already been tested with the A7r II. Unfortunately, I don't know what firmware version came with my Metabones IV. I don't know how to confirm this. If it requires an operating system newer than 10.8.5 I can't test it or update it anyway. I don't know what mode I was in (Green or Advanced) because I didn't know there was this option (my adapter didn't come with any instructions) Finally, I can't send them a photo or video of the issue, due to the fact that I was struggling to make it work on a photo gig and was just trying to get the job done. I can certainly (in the future) try to capture what I am seeing under a more controlled environment.

Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sent a support ticket in to Metabones about the issues I was having with the Metabones IV adapter that I am using on my Sony A7r II. This is there response.

Thanks for your enquiry!

We are still working on the test with the new Sony A7R II and our products, new firmware hasn’t been launched yet.

I thought that the Metabones IV had already been tested with the A7r II. Unfortunately, I don't know what firmware version came with my Metabones IV. I don't know how to confirm this. If it requires an operating system newer than 10.8.5 I can't test it or update it anyway. I don't know what mode I was in (Green or Advanced) because I didn't know there was this option (my adapter didn't come with any instructions) Finally, I can't send them a photo or video of the issue, due to the fact that I was struggling to make it work on a photo gig and was just trying to get the job done. I can certainly (in the future) try to capture what I am seeing under a more controlled environment.

Regards,
    J. Paul
    Look at the Metabones website. They explain a lot of things.

Here is a link to the page of your adapter Metabones EF->Emount : Metabones®

Then on this page, look in the right margin : there are several links interesting for you, including how to determine the firmware version (easy!) and what is the difference between green mode and the advanced mode.

How to determine your version of the adapter : Metabones®
    Green mode and advanced modes : Metabones®

There are also explanations and download links concerning the firmware updates, both for Win and Mac.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your enquiry!

Regards,
    J. Paul
    The A7RII can tell you what version your camera FW is and the adapter. It is under the last icon, the tool chest and #6. I had problems with .41, the latest FW and reloaded it and cleared the problems I was having. I have also been in contact with metabones over the last few weeks and have given them a huge list of Canon lenses that work, partially work and those that don't work along with other information.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for your feedback on this! This is most helpful.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for help with this. Mine certainly appears to work properly now.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    I have a metabones III and it does this regularly. The only solution is to turn the camera off, dismount the adapter and reattach. You have to send the III in for a firmware upgrade so I have never updated it.
    I sent my Metabones III back to Hong Kong for the firmware update prior to getting my A7rII. As of today, it works much great with my Canon lenses. Not so good with the Sigma 50 ART.

As for the "free" firmware update, they ask for $35 for return shipping but the "to them" shipping costs a little over $100. Fedex explains that to ship to China you pay Customs and Duties. So the "free" firmware update is really around $135.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Sony A7r ll with Metabones IV issue

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Not par for my course. I have the same adapter and it is tight (as I expect it to be) on both the lens-to-adapter mount and on the adapter-to-camera mount. The fit is solid with no play whatsoever.

Joe
    I'm putting the Metabones out to grass; it is so tight that I struggled to unattached it from some v expensive Leica lenses. I got the Voigtlander II (to replace the I, which vignetted with long, full-frame lenses). I'll also have a look at the Voigtlander close-focus adapter; I can't get the Leica goggles for the 90mm f4 to fit onto the Sony because of the grip.

Post Thanks / Like

The Fotodiox adapter works fine with the 17 and 24 Canon TS lenses.

I rented out the Metabones IV to try it out, but found it wouldn't work with the Sigma 50 Art (the Fotodiox does).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimbrunstudio View Post
    I sent my Metabones III back to Hong Kong for the firmware update prior to getting my A7rII. As of today, it works much great with my Canon lenses. Not so good with the Sigma 50 ART.

As for the "free" firmware update, they ask for $35 for return shipping but the "to them" shipping costs a little over $100. Fedex explains that to ship to China you pay Customs and Duties. So the "free" firmware update is really around $135.
    Hi

Just like to inform that although Hong Kong is part of China but it is a "special administrative region" within China. It remains a free port and import duties only apply to a few selected commodities. Camera and accessories certainly are not within the customs and duties list. Suggest to check with Fedex for clarification.

Regards
    Philip

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NoBob View Post
    The Fotodiox adapter works fine with the 17 and 24 Canon TS lenses.

I rented out the Metabones IV to try it out, but found it wouldn't work with the Sigma 50 Art (the Fotodiox does).
    Do you get the EXIF info and can you adjust the aperture from the A7r body with the Fotodiox adapter ? To make it shorter : is it a smart adapter or a dumb adapter ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have a similar problem with mine. I am pretty sure it is a glitch and that you need the adapter replaced.

Best regards
    Erik
    Homepage: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net
    Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/in.../photoarticles
    Portfolio: http://echophoto.smugmug.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi,

I have a similar problem with mine. I am pretty sure it is a glitch and that you need the adapter replaced.

Best regards
    Erik
    Me too. If I see F-- I release and relocate the adapter and then it's fine. Also with the 24TSE II. If I recall correctly though I think it also happened on my A7II/A7r.

I generally shoot manual with it. I can't vouch for behaviour in aperture priority etc.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

When I contacted Metabones support, they said they are still testing the adapter for use with the A7r ll. Maybe a firmware update coming to fix this, or do you think some of us (including me) actually have defective adapters?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Viltrox on my A7RII, which has exactly the same behaviour.
    Normally no big thing, but you have to watch it as when it happens in the middle of a series the Aperture may open up or not correspond to automatic setting.
    Unlocking and relocking the Adapter WITH the lens as a unit (!!! - always mount lens to adapter and then to camera ! ) will always solve it immediately.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philipchan View Post
    Hi

Just like to inform that although Hong Kong is part of China but it is a "special administrative region" within China. It remains a free port and import duties only apply to a few selected commodities. Camera and accessories certainly are not within the customs and duties list. Suggest to check with Fedex for clarification.

Regards
    Philip
    How would I go about checking on why it cost over $100USD to send the adapter to Hong Kong and only $35USD to return it via FedEx both ways? If the clerk tells me it is a Chinese "Customs and Duties", where do I find the actual costs? Not that FedEx will refund any money, just others might avoid this shipping mess.

Thanks Philip.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had this intermittently with my MB IV, A7r and 24mm tse, even with the latest firmware. It's worse some days than others. I just give the lens a slight 'twist' to the left (viewing from camera back) and it sorts it out. It's almost like the contacts aren't quite aligned correctly. It's fine with all my other EF lenses though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New firmware for the Metabones IV, v 0.43.

And discussed in Brian Smith's blog here.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this update. Looks like I am out of luck for upgrading due to my still being on Mountain Lion. Is there a workaround for this or possibly sending my adapter in for updating?
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

That upgrade certainly works for my Canon 200 2.8. Now I have AF, really happy with that because I nearly bought the Viltrox adaptor on Saturday but thought I would wait for a MB firmware update. Happy, saved $300
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this update. Looks like I am out of luck for upgrading due to my still being on Mountain Lion. Is there a workaround for this or possibly sending my adapter in for updating?
    J. Paul
    Why ML ... I am running El Cap on my 2010 Mac Pro and it is very nice ... most of the upgrades have be seamless since SL.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Why ML ... I am running El Cap on my 2010 Mac Pro and it is very nice ... most of the upgrades have be seamless since SL.

Bob
    Bob, still on ML because of my workflow and having things tuned in perfectly. It's about time for some new hardware and will probably keep with ML until I make the change.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

As of today there is a new Metabones update V.44 which fixes the IBIS switch issue on A7II and A7RII with IS lenses introduced in V.43

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/contact-us

I've updated without problems - Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, the updates are coming so fast that I can barely keep up. I hadn't even put the USB cable away from the previous update.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Wow, the updates are coming so fast that I can barely keep up. I hadn't even put the USB cable away from the previous update.

Joe
    Joe, thanks for this. Did your Metabones adapter come with a cable?
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I am having issues with the new firmware version 0.44 crashing on a Mac. Anybody else having an issue?
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe, thanks for this. Did your Metabones adapter come with a cable?
    I used the cable that came with the Sony a7RII. The Metabones IV didn't come with a cable.

I am having issues with the new firmware version 0.44 crashing on a Mac. Anybody else having an issue?l
    I used a Mac Pro to do the latest update and didn't have any problem. I used a MacBook Pro to do the update to v0.43 and didn't have a problem then either.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I have the latest iMac and no problems my end. Very quick actually.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,
    Regards,
    J. Paul
    Hello all, I was finally able to do the update using a friends mac with Yosemite (more current version) of OS. I had been in contact with support at Metabones, and while friendly, they kept telling me that the firmware would work on 10.8. Lots of wasted time. The good news is that I have the new version.

How is this update working for those that have tested it?
    Regards,
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,
    Regards,
    J. Paul
    *Update - After updating my Metabones IV to the most current firmware my issue was not resolved. During a photo shoot yesterday, I had to re-attach my lens, metabones adapter or both after every shot to get it to work. To confirm my suspicions, I used my older Metabones lll adapter and operation was normal. I have been in contact with Metabones and they want me to ship it back for repair. Are any of you having this problem? I do see now that there is a version of this adapter with flocking. Anybody using this version? I am wondering if the flocking has the potential to wear off and become a sensor dust/debris problem. I hope to get this resolved soon, it has tainted my experience with the new Sony A7r ll (no fault of Sony).
    Regards,
    J. Paul