The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FotodioX Ef to FE adaptor

Peter_C

Thought I'd share this with the forum, as a recent Sony owner.

Wanting to use some specialty Canon mount lenses, I investigated the various adaptor options, settling on FotodioX, as the lenses in question were fully manual. The adaptor was well made and seemed to function as promised. I was happy with the reasonable cost to use these lenses on my A7 mk2. The Sony is primarily a camera used for personal work, my day to day professional work is done with a MFDB and technical camera.

On a recent location project, I elected to use the Sony, which worked very well except for one shot, which had an issue. There was a composition that had slightly harder edge light, causing some flare, noticeable because I was tethered but not expected, given my experience. It was easily solved with a separate capture, flagging the edge. Back in the studio, I did a quick test; most people post about AF ability of adaptors, with internal flare not very often discussed. Perhaps my scenario is fairly unique. I'm thinking of trying Rustoleum Camo Matte Black paint on the adaptor, various forum posts mentioned using it as a solution to reducing flare. I don't know if the Metabones 4 would be a better solution but the paint is less than $10 vs $400.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Serious internal reflections it looks like. A lot of folks on the Metabones III which was having similar issues, they are using flocking material and inserting that to kill the reflections. Metabones IV they did fix the internal reflections. Someone here may know that procedure or may want to google it on the Metabones at least to find the material. That paint may work as well.

Peter_C

For the curious or affected: yes, the aformentioned paint helped a lot. Without posting results, I'll offer that, flare or internal reflections were significantly reduced but not eliminated.

I'd love to see someone with a Metabones iv adaptor post similar test.