Site Sponsors

Thread: Speedbooster with AF!

Post Thanks / Like

Speedbooster with AF!

I new this was going to happen sooner or later. I managed to find some veeery good samples of this adapter being used on micro 4/3 cameras, but I couldn't find any samples on e-mount cameras.

Kipon Baveyes Lens Adapter from Canon EOS Lenses To Sony Nex Body w/Auto Focus KP-LA-BE-NEX-EOS-AF

I've also found a Viltrox focal reducer that AFs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Speedbooster with AF!

AFAIK, there is only one Speed Booster (it is a trade mark) and that (from Metabones) allows auto focus since its launch.

Post Thanks / Like

The tests with the kipon look reaaally good for stills AND video.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    The tests with the kipon look reaaally good for stills AND video.
    Samples?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this has been mentioned in another thread, but I thought I would revive this thread with my experiences with the Speed booster ultra. I recently acquired a "Metabones" Speed booster ultra with a much more up to date firmware 0.56, the autofocus translation engine between Canon lenses and older Sony cameras that have solely CDAF AF has improved. This is thanks to Metabones "Native AF" feature. To put this into perspective, the non "Native AF" firmware would hunt back and forth prior to oscillating back and forth in decreasing increments until focus is acquired for CDAF type Sonys. The whole process would take a good 3-4 seconds for some lenses. With "Native AF" enabled firmware, AF engine does not have to travel quite as far, and AF can be acquired in as little as 1 second. Although this speed does not compare to PDAF enabled Sony FE and Emount cameras like the A7rii or the A6300, the improved AF speed is welcome and allows older non PDAF type Sony E and FE mount cameras to have usable AF when using Canon EF lenses.

I have tested the speed booster ultra on a variety of Canon EF lenses and they all have usable AF on my now vintage Nex 5r. Kudos of Metabones for it's continual support and updates.I am not sure if the Kipon version will perform as well, and the question begs do they even provide firmware updates for their smart adapters?
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post