The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GPS for A7r II

jrp

I assume that Sony have yet to produce a GPS add-on for the A7 series cameras.

What is the App du jour for tagging fran iPhone / iPad and tagging in Lightroom, say?

Keep in mind that these apps tend to use a lot of the phones battery. MyTracks (and some others) let you adjust the frequency of the gps loggings.
Good point. Both of the apps I mentioned can adjust the track frequency. I keep Geotag Photos set to log every 30 seconds. I've often run it all day and still have plenty of power left at the end.

jrp

Any comments on the accuracy of the trail, particularly where the GPS signal is intermittent.

Any comments on the accuracy of the trail, particularly where the GPS signal is intermittent.
When I'm outside, it's great. Inside big buildings it can get a little weird, but even then it usually works fine.

Here's an image showing what I mean. The log points within the red oval were when I was walking inside some big buildings. But even with that jumpiness, Lightroom would still tag the locations pretty well.

(this image is from a Mac app called GPX Editor, which I sometimes use to view and edit the tracks.)

gps-details.jpg

dandrewk

Yeah, it's totally dependent on the GPS on your phone.

The good news - most cell phones with GPS are very robust and MUCH better than any in-camera GPS I've used, including the ones that attach to the flash shoe.

jrp

Indeed, but I have read some old reviews that suggested that the trails produced by different apps running in parallel were quite different, particularly when the signal was lost intermittently.