The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII ISO 12800 samples and Nissin Di700a light setup

dmward

I bumped the ISO up to 12800 for some test shots during the wedding reception I was shooting Last Saturday.

These were color corrected and resized. The shot of the singer also had exposure pulled down 1.5 EV. I don't always worry about making EV adjustments in this situation when using speedlites in TTL. Its just as easy to correct the few aberrant frames in Lightroom.

The wide shot of the dance floor shows two of the three Di700s I has set up. The third is camera right as evidenced by the shadows from the chairs.

I had them set at somewhat different FEC to create some direct. I did not have to change batteries for the entire reception. All the shooting was done at 3200, 6400 ISO. Some tests at 12800.

These speedlites and the A7RII suit my style well for receptions. I want to keep the exposure within about 1 1.5 EV of the ambient so that the mood of the room's lighting is not lost.

There is no noise reduction on these:

20150822DSC02818.jpg

20150822DSC02824.jpg

dmward

Guy,
What I like about using this approach to lighting is getting three light sources spread around the room. I try to keep them about 120 degrees apart.
Then I vary the FEC about a half stop to create some directionality. I think its a straight forward way to augment and simulate ambient light. I try to get them high to minimize shadow problems.

JMaher

These shots are great example. If Adorama or B&H had these in stock I might hit the buy button :)