Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    This one tickled my fancy too - the first dance:
    Now, that's a wedding photo. Good timing and angle.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah Jono, I think they will like that one!

panyawong

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    No, it's not supposed to. I've heard of one instance though, perhaps on this forum, where the hood ring got loose and fell down. Minor issue, but I would advise you to have it fixed soon.
    Edward;
    Thanks for your advice. I actually acquired this lens 2nd hand from Shelby. The ring does not seem that it can falls off, but definitely loose. I 'll try to see how to fix it.
    Panya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by panyawong View Post
    Edward;
    Thanks for your advice. I actually acquired this lens 2nd hand from Shelby. The ring does not seem that it can falls off, but definitely loose. I 'll try to see how to fix it.
    Panya
    I have the same problem with mine, loose and kind of jingles as I walk around with it, yet secure. I've tried tightening the inner filter ring, but it seems locked tight.

Here is a few service drawings relating to the problem and the fix consisting of some adhesive strips.
    Last edited by Eoin; 14th July 2009 at 23:07.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

panyawong

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I have the same problem with mine, loose and kind of jingles as I walk around with it, yet secure. I've tried tightening the inner filter ring, but it seems locked tight.

Here is a few service drawings relating to the problem and the fix consisting of some adhesive strips.
    Thanks Eoin;
    I was thinking just that, try to use some removable adhesive to hold it together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One from this morning... CZ135 f1.8 with Zeiss Softar #2

Albert

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple of casual shots as I was on an errand today...- anybody hazard a guess as the make of the car?

Attachment 19624

Attachment 19623

The dead and the living.
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 15th October 2009 at 18:23.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice catch! Bravo!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Nice catch! Bravo!
    Thank you Marc
    and Terry, and Jorgen - they're still in Morocco, but I hope they'll like it.

Albert - that's lovely - how much to you have to pay them to pose so nicely?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Marc
    and Terry, and Jorgen - they're still in Morocco, but I hope they'll like it.

Albert - that's lovely - how much to you have to pay them to pose so nicely?
    Hi Jono!
    Pay them? They get to eat don't they?
    They've been posing for me for so long I just have to pull out the camera now and they get right into it

Great wedding shots BTW... looks like you did a bang up job!
    Had some fun too I hope?

Albert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Couple of casual shots as I was on an errand today...- anybody hazard a guess as the make of the car?

Attachment 19624

Attachment 19623

The dead and the living.

Bill,

These are great! Two of my most favorite subjects

I just love old buildings & cabins. I always wonder who might have loved there
    I wish I were more of an old car expert... but I would venture to say an old Ford... of what type I'm not sure.

Interestingly, as I was firing up the BBQ the other evening I happened to read the bio on the back of the Kingsford Charcoal bag.
    It seems they (Kingsford) started their biz using wooden scraps from those early Ford interior frames. "And the rest" they say... "is history!"

Thanks for sharing!

Albert

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Albert!
    Bill

Shelby Lewis

Jono... great catch. They'll love that for sure!

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by panyawong View Post
    Practicing some fun model shoots with newly acquired CZ135.

Does anyone experience that the filter/hood mounting ring rattle loosely?

Wow... fantastic stuff Panya. Let me know if there is something funky with the 135. I had no probs with it at all and am happy to discuss anything with you.

Great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by APY_JR View Post
    One from this morning... CZ135 f1.8 with Zeiss Softar #2

Albert

Hi Albert!

This one is definitely different than the usual 'kung fu girl" look.
    Equally effective and beautiful image.. lovely expression!

MG

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent timing!

MG

Shelby Lewis

Ok, I know I'm not supposed to post non-sony images here... but I love this community so I'm gonna muck up the water with a recent 5dmkii image... colors over-the-top as that's the look the studio I shoot for pushes. I'm actually impressed at the dimensionality of the file... especially seeing that it was shot with the lowly 85/1.8

I'll say it though... at 100% not near as nice as the a900

and one more (more like my usual work)... grain added by me.

Ok.. I'll get out of the way now
    Cheers!Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back shelby! Great shots nonetheless -avec ou sans- the A900.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Ok, I know I'm not supposed to post non-sony images here... but I love this community so I'm gonna muck up the water with a recent 5dmkii image... colors over-the-top as that's the look the studio I shoot for pushes. I'm actually impressed at the dimensionality of the file... especially seeing that it was shot with the lowly 85/1.8

I'll say it though... at 100% not near as nice as the a900

That was a rather interesting photo to see, since I've seen so many those that you took with the A900. While I like the depth and composition here, the colours are nowhere near those you captured with the Sony. Not even close.

Note to myself: Remember bot to buy a Canon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    That was a rather interesting photo to see, since I've seen so many those that you took with the A900. While I like the depth and composition here, the colours are nowhere near those you captured with the Sony. Not even close.

Note to myself: Remember bot to buy a Canon
    I saw the same thing but didn't want to comment. The difference is really amazing. I was working the other day on older 1Ds2 files and was absolutely dismayed. Now I really understand why I was never satisfied with digital and why I did several attempts to go back to film. I didn't know that not all digital is equal.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Westvleteren

I agree, the a900 images are stunning whereas the Canon feels flat to me. Can't wait to get one and share on this thread.

Shelby Lewis

wow... i can't believe how so many people can be so negative without even knowing how these were post processed. The studio i shoot for often uses the "direct positive" preset (for some reason) in lightroom which pumps the contrast up and pushes color towards blue... those of you who know my work know what I'm capable of. This was an example of a couple in love... as well as how the 5d can indeed produce photos with nice amounts of detail and dimension.

Different... not bad.

Oh well, I guess I read the attitude of the Sony fan club (which I've enjoyed) with a bit of naivete... People forget that reality (like getting an action shot in extreme low light) often dictates things other than zeiss lenses and good color separation.

Later.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow... i can't believe how so many people can be so negative without even knowing how these were post processed. The studio i shoot for often uses the "direct positive" preset (for some reason) in lightroom which pumps the contrast up and pushes color towards blue... those of you who know my work know what I'm capable of. This was an example of a couple in love... as well as how the 5d can indeed produce photos with nice amounts of detail and dimension.

Different... not bad.

Oh well, I guess I read the attitude of the Sony fan club (which I've enjoyed) with a bit of naivete... People forget that reality (like getting an action shot in extreme low light) often dictates things other than zeiss lenses and good color separation.

Later.
    HI Shelby
    but but but . . . whilst we all understand why one would use a 5dII, or a D700 or whatever, and also that it's possible to get great results in much trickier circumstances, it certainly screamed at me that these shots were simply in a different league from the wonderful stuff you've posted with the A900. Of course, that doesn't mean it's the camera.

The responses you've had don't seem even remotely like 'fan boy' responses.

As for 'different not bad'
    of course - I do agree . . . . but I'd certainly say 'different and not as good'.

The revelation for me with the A900 has been the zeiss glass and the colour separation - you're pictures with it epitomised that more than anyone else's. These Canon shots simply seem to emphasise the point that you made so eloquently.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby, we all love you - don't take offense. It was just a shock to see the difference.

Sony will be introducing (August/Sept) some new bodies (850, etc) that are designed specifically to address the low light issue - in fact it appears to be a MAJOR announcement. We might also see a firmware update shortly for the 900.

Best to you and good luck with your new gig!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Shelby if you misunderstood my post. I am talking about my own experience as a Canon 1Ds series user as well as the 5D for several years and my frustration of not being able to get the look I wanted from the files, something that the A900 gives me without effort. The photos you posted are great ones and photographically speaking they are on the same level as your previous work you posted here, but as Jono said, there is in the Canon photos a lack of depth in the colors that is not due simply to a specific post processing technique. I can see this as someone who have used Canon untill 6 months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

All that matters is that you are happy with the pic with the Canon, and your customers are as well. I am far from being a profesional, but, before i purchased the 900, i looked at pics from the pros from all the major lines to see what could be done. Not that i would be able to do the same thing, but, at least show what was possible with a given camera. The colors on the 900 especially the skin tones, seem to be better than the others. It has nothing to do with your abilities, which are top notch.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sure wish that Shelby had done my best friends wedding photos a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I just saw the proofs, and then we immediately went to Shelby's website in order to cleanse our palates.

Shelby Lewis

Hey guys... sorry to be hot headed. The truth is that there are some things the 5d does better... but I'll be the very first to admit that the files @ 100% are nothing near as nice as the a900... and I already miss the 3d quality to the files.

That's probably why I moving into medium format as soon as I can get the capital.

5D for the meat and potatoes wedding work... MF for the "sony" stuff, lol.

I am going to try something though, as I believe it will make a difference... the canon files need a lot of initial sharpening (something I didn't do here). I do wonder what they'll look like if I start from a sharp 100% file. Anywho... i do thank you all for the words about my work... I guess I'm a bit disappointed that the difference in the cams is so apparent (something I was trying to convince myself wasn't true).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Shelby, good to see you posting here again. Boy am I glad that I don't have to make my living out of photography!! It must be tough shooting for another studio and towing their line on processing and gear.

All I have to do is please myself first and foremost and if exhibition and competition judges also like my work then that's a big bonus for me. Happily I enjoy using my a900, I love the images it produces and so far quite a few of the judges do too!

I am sure that you will also just love the MF images (a reminder of your a900 perhaps?) Your wonderful a900 images were an inspiration for all of us, so you see, you sort of set your own very high barrier.

Are we Sony fanboys? Yes, of course we are....we'd be mad not to be!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys... sorry to be hot headed. The truth is that there are some things the 5d does better... but I'll be the very first to admit that the files @ 100% are nothing near as nice as the a900... and I already miss the 3d quality to the files.

That's probably why I moving into medium format as soon as I can get the capital.

5D for the meat and potatoes wedding work... MF for the "sony" stuff, lol.

I am going to try something though, as I believe it will make a difference... the canon files need a lot of initial sharpening (something I didn't do here). I do wonder what they'll look like if I start from a sharp 100% file. Anywho... i do thank you all for the words about my work... I guess I'm a bit disappointed that the difference in the cams is so apparent (something I was trying to convince myself wasn't true).
    I would say that most of the difference, 3-d quality, color separation, and less muddying of color is due to the drawing style of the Zeiss lenses vs. the Canon. Put a Zeiss ZF lens with adapter on the Canon and the rest is a small difference in hue and saturation of greens which you could do in post. Of course everyone here is anti-canon and will flame me for this but I don't care.I like the Sony-Zeiss platform and don't need to trash it like a lot of people here have to do with Canon. I get tired some times of the anti-canon sentiment here which is overplayed vs. the skill and the art of the picture itself but that is how forums work.
    I assume (hope) most of the people are looking at the first picture when they are comparing to the Sony as the 2nd picture is what I would call a more processed picture which I can see Shelby is looking for a certain look, like he was doing earlier for his catalog work.
    Shelby, I assume you were using the LR color positive preset for the 2nd shot only, right?

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wayne: "due to the drawing style of the Zeiss lenses vs. the Canon"

Wayne, does this observation also explain the great images that Shelby posted with his 50mm SIGMA on the a900?

At one time, I was using 5 different focal length Zeiss ZF's on a Canon MarkIII - I never experienced (with the MKIII/Zeiss combo) the beauty of the files generated by the A900.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    Wayne: "due to the drawing style of the Zeiss lenses vs. the Canon"

Wayne, does this observation also explain the great images that Shelby posted with his 50mm SIGMA on the a900?

At one time, I was using 5 different focal length Zeiss ZF's on a Canon MarkIII - I never experienced (with the MKIII/Zeiss combo) the beauty of the files generated by the A900.
    Fine, can I see some side by side comparison shots with the same lens and then we can go from there to see the differences rather than saying well I prefer the beauty of this camera's shot over this one. First, of all I think Shelby takes great images no matter what camera system. And the drawing style of the sigma is different than the Zeiss lenses and I can see that difference whether on a Sony or Canon camera.
    I wish that Shelby could take some images with a Sigma 50 so we could compare that to his Sony one's. That would be an interesting comparison.
    I guess I would like to see more comparison shots with the same lens to differentiate the lens effects from the camera effects.
    What specifically do you mean by the beauty of the files being better?Can you show some examples?Shouldn't be that hard if there is such a big difference between the A900 and the Canon with the same Zeiss glass, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photography is the study of brick walls and cats, insofar as psychology is the study of rats and college sophmores. Brick walls don't excite me and I don't have a cat, but I do have a daughter that is like herding cats. So there you have it.

The first two images are at ISO 800 with a broken 50 Summicron at f2, the other two are ISO 320 with a pre-APO 180 Elmarit shot at f2.8 or f4. All processed in C1. I'm new to the A900 and trying to get a feel for the camera. So far I love the feel of the body and chalk up the image quality to being unfamiliar with the camera.

EDIT: I suppose I should point out that this is a camera test, I'm not trying to be artistic here. Just get a feel for new gear.

The last two images were taken after a grape popsicle.
    Last edited by Bill_Green; 23rd July 2009 at 16:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Different... not bad.

Later.
    No offense towards you as a photographer. As I said initially, I like the composition and depth. When you say that the studio's pp tends to go towards blue, it's a bit more understandable, because my first reaction was the lack of warmth, particularly to the skin colours. As you point out, I should be careful when theorizing about this photo, since I don't know the whole story, but if this is typical for your "Canon work", I still maintain that I liked your "Sony work" much better.

And mind you, I'm not a member of the Sony Club. The only Sony gear here is my father's old, broken Walkman Pro that I naively thought I could fix and use for something...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby, we all love you - don't take offense. It was just a shock to see the difference.

Sony will be introducing (August/Sept) some new bodies (850, etc) that are designed specifically to address the low light issue - in fact it appears to be a MAJOR announcement. We might also see a firmware update shortly for the 900.

Best to you and good luck with your new gig!
    Hope the firmware part is true. I don't want yet another camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, a thread titled "Fun Pictures with Sony" ... er ... are we having fun yet?

All this "my camera is better than your camera" is sucking the fun right out of photography...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, a thread titled "Fun Pictures with Sony" ... er ... are we having fun yet?

All this "my camera is better than your camera" is sucking the fun right out of photography...
    Yupp

Somebody post another purdy pidjure please.

Post Thanks / Like

I was using 13 Zeiss Contax lenses on a 1Ds2 until January 2009. I share the same conclusions.

Shelby Lewis

Guess I'm to blame for "muddying the waters", lol.

Someone post something, please... or else I'll put something else up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey now mister! I did post pictures and I did it with YOUR camera.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Hey now mister! I did post pictures and I did it with YOUR camera.
    Sorry Bill... missed it, lol. BTW... that second shot is great. Look at those eyes!

Hope your liking it. What a fantastic camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill, that must have been a struggle with a lively (and pretty) little girl as your subject and using MF and stop down metering! Try begging or borrowing a Zeiss ZA 80/1.4 or a 135/1.8 AF lens as a comparison.........erh, you might not want to give it back though!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Yupp

Somebody post another purdy pidjure please.
    Don't know about the pictures, but the subject was "purdy".

Last Saturday's wedding: the Bride's family was from Spain, and her Grandfather danced an energetic latin dance with the Bride ... he is 86 years young.

BTW, I'm a "United Nations" of cameras ... so for this one time upload I picked the photo to show, not which camera was used

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done, Marc. Thanks for posting. (And Grandpa looks like he's doin' fine!)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guess I'm to blame for "muddying the waters", lol.

HI Shelby - you go for it. The one thing that's true is that we all love your pictures (whatever they're taken on).

Wayne, it's difficult to do comparisons with the same Zeiss lenses, as the ZF lenses are quite different from the Sony Zeiss lenses.

Douglas suggested that the difference was that while increasing the high ISO attributes the colour differentiation suffers.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FOTOGRAFZ:
    What a Fantastic Wedding Series....

I love the Bride playing Seductress with the Fan
    The next one of the Flower Girl and her boredom at having her done
    Grandpapa Sruttin on the Dance Floor
    and
    Is it) The Groom Smoking a Cigar...Those are Stellar shots to my Eye...Cool

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, the color image of the bride and flower girl (sitting) is outstanding.

Shelby Lewis

wow marc... these are fantastic. I'm only saying this because I'm not familiar with a broader spectrum of your work, but these are a step up from anything else I've ever seen you post. Also... is your b/w conversion new? This one is so contrasty yet still very detailed in the shadows. That's a hard thing to accomplish.

Kudos!

Shelby Lewis

from a wedding a few weeks back... not nearly as compelling a family as marc's post, lol. I was the second shooter, so mostly shot candids and details all day.

250D closeup lens on (i think) an 85/1.8... not very happy with the sharpness of this combo

guest of honor

cheers! shelby

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow marc... these are fantastic. I'm only saying this because I'm not familiar with a broader spectrum of your work, but these are a step up from anything else I've ever seen you post. Also... is your b/w conversion new? This one is so contrasty yet still very detailed in the shadows. That's a hard thing to accomplish.

Kudos!
    Thanks Shelby (and everyone else: -).

Pretty much representative of my work Shelby. But your observation is a good one, and goes to the point of switching systems and the time it takes to nail the exposure settings and how to process afterwards ... which takes time IMO. I'm finally getting the 3 systems down better and syncing them to do what I want.

The M8 is a no brainer (cigar and hairspray shots, which are pretty much just straight conversions), the D3X converts pretty easily, and I'm getting better at the A900 which requires more work to make B&W ... the midtones that make for such great subtile color rendering flatten out in B&W unless the light is pretty contrasy ... then, in contrasy light I found I need to hold the highlights and the midtones/shadows get dicey. But it's coming together. Should have done this learning curve over the winter instead of during wedding season

I think you are in the midst of doing the same thing now with going back to Canon. Just take another peek at Jeff Ascough's 5D work if there's any doubt.

Oops, here's an edit showing a couple of A900 B&W conversions shooting with the ZA 85/1.4:
    Last edited by fotografz; 24th July 2009 at 17:30.