Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

I was curious about the horse chestnut/buckeye thing and so looked it up--sure enough, they are basically the same.

Ah, now I do see its a bicycle seat, but who cares--its just a beautiful interesting object the way you chose to photograph it.

I liked all 4 of these (again--nice lens/FL it seems--good pot lid LOL)--but esp. these 2.

I really do like very much the new monos.

Diane

[QUOTE=jonoslack;93385]Thank you Diane - the respect is absolutely mutual.
    The saddle is actually Emma's old bicycle, which is mouldering behind the office in the garden. The leaves are Horse Chestnut - but maybe that's the same thing?

as for the 'good food, must be great pots quote . . . that's wonderful, I've not heard it before!

On the other hand, the Sony really is a fine pot!

Here are a couple more with the 135 Zeiss.

Socks - hung out to dry

Bread bins (with dog food)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I believe you... just two portions of Mama left

Very good one
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Red Rock Crossing in Sedona AZ, 5 exposures I hope it doesn't look to HDR, still have some work to do on it. A900 CZ 16=35mm F10
    Converted in DxO then merged in PhotoMatix. I know HDR poo poo. I looked at all 5exposures of this image and I can't get just one to look right.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, Jorgen, Diane
    Thanks for the kind words . . . Escape is definitely the title Jorgen, but like all those things, it's sad to pin something down when the joy of it is the ambiguity (don't you think?).

Kuau - your HDR is nicely done and it's a fine composition. . . but I still can't bring myself to like the look of it, however good it is.

I think there's always a problem with a 'generic' solution to this kind of thing. Seems to me that it works better if you blend the layers yourself rather than letting software do it for you . . . but that's just me.

Splendid Jewellery shots Edward

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Red Rock Crossing in Sedona AZ, 5 exposures I hope it doesn't look to HDR, still have some work to do on it. A900 CZ 16=35mm F10
    Converted in DxO then merged in PhotoMatix. I know HDR poo poo. I looked at all 5exposures of this image and I can't get just one to look right.
    Of course there are different tastes as there are photographers, but as far as I'm concerned, having worked with chrome film for 2 decades, I love contrast, and I always avoid HDR-like stunts. I'm not sure if it would work with this particular shot, but I would try a completely different approach with Velvia like contrast and saturation. Who knows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Splendid Jewellery shots Edward
    Thank you so much Jono.

Here are a few shots of a 1 carat diamond that I have just bought for a client.

100 macro as usual at 1:1 (and APS-C crop as the magnification was not sufficient). I tried some shots with extension tubes added but didn't like the sharpness.

Attachment 15364

Attachment 15365

Attachment 15366

Attachment 15367
    Last edited by edwardkaraa; 30th August 2009 at 10:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Of course there are different tastes as there are photographers, but as far as I'm concerned, having worked with chrome film for 2 decades, I love contrast, and I always avoid HDR-like stunts. I'm not sure if it would work with this particular shot, but I would try a completely different approach with Velvia like contrast and saturation. Who knows
    Thanks Edward and Jono, I will go over my 5 exposures and see which one looks the best and see if in pp I can come up with something that looks half decent.
    Red Rock Crossing is a very popular spot for phhotographers and the real "pros" shoot it 4x5 film of course. Not sure how to properly expose for this scene, it'' sunset so a decission has to be made what most important to me the mountains are. I will post a few more non-hdr

Steven

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Edward and Jono, I will go over my 5 exposures and see which one looks the best and see if in pp I can come up with something that looks half decent.
    Red Rock Crossing is a very popular spot for phhotographers and the real "pros" shoot it 4x5 film of course. Not sure how to properly expose for this scene, it'' sunset so a decission has to be made what most important to me the mountains are. I will post a few more non-hdr

Steven
    HI Steven
    I'm sorry if I sounded negative, I certainly didn't mean to be.

I've used the principles of HDR . . . but not the practice. The way I look at it is this:

If I've taken a picture where there's a fab sky, a bright mountain and a rather gloomy foreground, then I might want to do something with the foreground.

So - what I'd do is to either:
    1. process the raw files twice with different exposures, one for the sky (probably underexposing it) and one for the foreground (overexposing it). If this wasn't going to work, then I'd
    2. take a couple of exposures - one for the bright part, one for the dark (which is presumably what you've done).

Of course, 1 has the advantage of perfect registration, and I've usually found it good enough - especially as I don't usually have a tripod with me

For the processing I would cut out the foreground from the overexposed version with a big feathering, then paste it into the underexposed shot, get the registration right and refine the edges using whatever tools turn you on (and changing the transparency).

The idea is that you aren't producing an 'HDR' image in the true sense of the word, but you are effectively doing a very accurate dodge and burn on the file. It means that you keep the zing and contrast in each area of the picture that Edward and I like so much.

Apologies if I'm trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs . . . . (or even my grandchild!)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's an example
    I'm at work, and it was the only one I could fish out at short notice:

You can see the point (I hope) that you have what . . if you think about it . . is a preposterous DR between the foreground and the cloudy evening sky, but I don't think it looks like an HDR production because the foreground and sky are themselves.

Hmm - sorry about the image . . . . it's a rock on an Island on the Scilly Isles, there are many tales of Giants around there, and we always used to imagine this as a huge granite giant, buried underground with only his . . . er . . . um . . . showing
    Last edited by jonoslack; 24th April 2009 at 06:09.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono for your tip. I will give it a whirl. Yep for my image there are 3 areas, sky, forground, and moutains see If I can do a better job without the "HDR" look which I really don't like either. Ypur example you posted is quite nice :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another try at it

OK here is the same image blended 2 exposures only. Do they still look to "hdr"?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    The first time I read about HDR, at LL I think, it was described in a similar way to what you do. The "artistic" aspect is something that has entered the stage later. Used in a sober manner, it's probably a great tool, particularly for landscape photography. One of the problems with digital photography though, is that we sometimes tend to look for the spectacular rather than improving the way we take photos. That's just the nature of the beast, I suppose, the human beast that is

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Kuau
    No, they don't look 'HDR' anymore . . . much improved, and with a little crackle back in 'em.

Jorgen
    Cheap thrills is one thing . . and we both subscribe to them

As far as 'HDR' is concerned, I think it did start as a 'digital' dodge and burn, and I have no complaints. My problem is with programs which try to make your image for you, and the current crop of HDR programs seem to me to be unremittingly horrible!

I'm not a luddite - I always use stitching software for panoramas (it's much better at it than I am). But to hand over your lovely image to some software which is going to work out a high dynamic range version on the basis of some algorithm or another . . I don't think so!

As for handing your picture over to a piece of software to make it 'artistic'

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    One of the problems with digital photography though, is that we sometimes tend to look for the spectacular rather than improving the way we take photos. That's just the nature of the beast, I suppose, the human beast that is
    I think this deserves a separate answer. It's something I battle with every day. My black and white landscapes are definitely a cop out, and whilst lots of people say oooh, and, indeed, aaah, it's hard to resist, but it leaves a slightly soiled feeling somewhere. On the other hand, I'm not pleased with my own photography, so, if someone else likes it . . .

As far as post processing is concerned, I have a kind of rule (which I often disobey) which states that you mustn't do any post processing which you didn't think of when you took the picture. The black and white cloud with the vapour trail was a case in point - it may not be grand, but when I took it I knew exactly what I was going to do with it, so, at least, it wasn't either an accident, or a rescue job.

On the other hand, if it's liked . . . does it matter whether it's an accident . . or a rescue job?

This is deep water, and the two options seem to be to open another bottle of wine . . or go to bed!

Goodnight!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good morning!

Sometimes, when I see really extreme HDR, like this one:

http://ramdisk.smugmug.com/gallery/7...97256127_BDtb2

I ask myself: would I have liked this one if it was a painting? Sometimes I would, and sometimes, it's important to remember that photography can be many different kinds of art, just like oil paintings and watercolours are different kind of paintings.

The really interesting part is, when all this technology is linked to real talent, and inspiration from the real masters of visual arts. That is when we get to see the exceptional images that are available in these forums sometimes.

Yes, these are deep waters, and unfortunately, the time of day doesn't allow for anything but a cup of oolong tea

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ask myself: would I have liked this one if it was a painting? Sometimes I would, and sometimes, it's important to remember that photography can be many different kinds of art, just like oil paintings and watercolours are different kind of paintings.
    Oh, I quite agree - I'm not doctrinaire about this, only complaining about handing over the responsibility for one's photographs to a piece of software . I'm right up for 'using' the software I and revert to my original feeling, which is that if it's 'interesting' then nobody cares about the technicalities, and if it isn't, then nobody cares at all.

For 'interesting' you can substitute 'artistic' or 'eye catching' or any other positive expression.

Personally, I shot you linked to is horrible - but then, I'm just a grumpy old man

Just this guy you know

Shelby Lewis

oops... duplicate post

Shelby Lewis

Hey Kuau... thanks for posting.

A word about intent, if you don't mind... especially seeing your replies.

One thing, I think, that Jono is getting at is that intention is key in photography (IMO). Looking at your original shot, and then the reprocessed version, I can only say a few things... (1) they are different and (2) my opinion of which way they should be processed is just that... my opinion.

If, by chance, you find that the HDR "look" is compelling to you, then it's your prerogative to find your voice using that as an artistic tool. We all have our bents... some of us like getting it "right in the camera" while others like "flatness" in-camera with an eye towards post-production.

So... I'll add that I think you should push these shots in a direction that you derive the greatest artistic satisfaction from. We have such a great wealth of latitude with our files these days, and I for one find the endless possibilities available both in the field and in front of a computer really fascinating.

If it matters... although it's HDR'd like crazy... I like the first shot you posted as much as the re-process, but I wonder what the first version would look like in b/w with a bit more localized dodging and burning to bring focus to the major compositional elements.

If there's one thing about HDR that I don't like... and I like HDR... is that it can really homogenize the scene from a contrast level that makes it difficult to discern what is compositionally important.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Personally, I shot you linked to is horrible - but then, I'm just a grumpy old man
    Taste is more individual than we can imagine sometimes. I had lunch with three very young and very pretty girls today, and the only photos that are good enough for their taste are photos of themselves, preferably taken with a camera phone. So much for all our discussions about lenses, aperture and pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Taste is more individual than we can imagine sometimes. I had lunch with three very young and very pretty girls today, and the only photos that are good enough for their taste are photos of themselves, preferably taken with a camera phone. So much for all our discussions about lenses, aperture and pixels
    It has been the trend here in Thailand for young girls to be both the photographer and the model in the same time, with the latest mobile phone cameras. Who needs a photographer when you can do it by yourself? I hope this trend doesn't expand to other areas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope this trend doesn't expand to other areas
    Other areas? Are there other areas You mean, except for handing out moneys in generous quantities? I must be missing out on something here... I wonder what

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm way happy with the Sony A900 and the cz 24-70 combo.

Albert

Check out the large image here

http://www.pbase.com/apy_jr/image/111742995/original

Last edited by APY_JR; 25th April 2009 at 12:44. Reason: wrong size

Post Thanks / Like

Other areas? Are there other areas You mean, except for handing out moneys in generous quantities? I must be missing out on something here... I wonder what
    That never crossed my mind, Jorgen. But now that you mentioned it

What I meant is that, now that the girls are self-sufficient in the photography area (not needing external help), I hoped that the do it yourself trend doesn't spill on other aspects of human behaviour

Post Thanks / Like

Albert, your group shots are simply amazing. Every person seems to have the perfect expression, and no eye blinking. Every time I tried that, I always had at least 2-3 persons blinking no matter how I tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Albert, your group shots are simply amazing. Every person seems to have the perfect expression, and no eye blinking. Every time I tried that, I always had at least 2-3 persons blinking no matter how I tried.
    Thanks Edward!

It happens... I take two or 3 shots... the middle girl in the green (keeper) had her eyes closed on the first shot so I cloned her eyes in from the second shot

Still havin' fun,

Albert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Grand Falls, Arizona
    I am sill awaiting my CZ 24-70mm lens. Wish I had it yesterday..
    This image was taken with an old minolta 35-70mm F4 lens at F11 not bad.
    Steven

Shelby Lewis

First real gig with the a900 - engagement session.

a900-Sigma 50/1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great images Steven and Shelby.

Steven how I envy you having these great locations right on you doorstep so to speak. We were there in Arizona last year and really enjoyed the whole region. A photo at every turn. Must return with the a900 one day.

Shelby you are really getting to grips with the a900 and Sigma 50/1.4.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Shelby Lewis

Sorry if a bit Lazy, marc , but I snapped this on the way home today.

Still trying to figure out good web sharpening for the a900

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let me start by saying these are not great art - I'm still delighting in the extraordinary resolution of the 70-400 G and as I was an hour early for a dental appointment today, I went to a local park to "waste" the time...

Both shots hand-held at f8, ISO 320, processed in CI with default settings except +10 contrast and +10 saturation. The second shot is a 100% crop.

Love that lens!

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 12th July 2009 at 17:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We're on a fast drive across the US in Canton, TX with 1200 miles to go by Thurs. night. Stopped at Colorado Lake outside Colorado City, TX for a walk this morning and took a few shots.

The first is beavertail cactus trunk

The rest are some flower or other. don't know the names.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Just curious which lens did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Let me start by saying these are not great art -

Bill
    I feel this is going to become a compulsory introduction to every image post, after that thread of Marc's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a long time Zeiss user, I was happy with this one from a CZ24-70.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Let me start by saying these are not great art Bill
    Bill,
    Well those images have plenty of "Pop" for me!! That lens looks a cracker. I have the 70-300 so I must get our with it some more after seeing these.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, Just curious which lens did you use?
    28-85 vario sonnar. Most at 85mm and either f8 or f3.3.

It's the only lens I have right now. The siggy is in the box awaiting a return to Amazon and the 400mm telyt won't come out until I want to take the time to set it up again.

Thinking hard about getting the Minolta 200 f2.8 APO and a 2x TC to replace the Leica. The leica has a slide focus that is just a little too far away for me to use comfortably.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmaas View Post
    28-85 vario sonnar. Most at 85mm and either f8 or f3.3.

It's the only lens I have right now. The siggy is in the box awaiting a return to Amazon and the 400mm telyt won't come out until I want to take the time to set it up again.

Thinking hard about getting the Minolta 200 f2.8 APO and a 2x TC to replace the Leica. The leica has a slide focus that is just a little too far away for me to use comfortably.

Mike
    I should have recognized the Zeiss color

I see what you mean about the Telyt, it is a monster of a lens. I'm sure you would get better results with the 70-400G than with 200mm + converter though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should have recognized the Zeiss color

I see what you mean about the Telyt, it is a monster of a lens. I'm sure you would get better results with the 70-400G than with 200mm + converter though.
    Perhaps but at what weight penalty? I handled the 70-400 in HK and might have bought it had I not discovered that my camera wouldn't recognize the lens. Still have to resolve that issue.

The minolta 200mm f2.8 APO does have an excellent reputation though and at 725gm starts off pretty light. It won't be as versatile as a full range zoom but a lot more compact and light.

thanks,

Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg53 View Post
    I love that pic, JeffG, really good - and dramatic. Congratulations,
    Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Bill,
    Well those images have plenty of "Pop" for me!! That lens looks a cracker. I have the 70-300 so I must get our with it some more after seeing these.
    TX Dave. I don't think I've ever owned such a sharp zoom as the 70-400. (And 400 mm is supposed to be its weak spot!).
    BILL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bill. I find that I can swap between the Zeiss on the Sony and FujiBlad lenses on the H3D without feeling that I am losing anything, other than a load of pixels.

Cheers,

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, that is art. Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's another from St. George, UTAH in the Kayenta Development. This could be your backyard.

Mike

There is a larger but still only about 30% image at:

http://www.pbase.com/masimo/image/11...4/original.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Great images Steven and Shelby.

Steven how I envy you having these great locations right on you doorstep so to speak. We were there in Arizona last year and really enjoyed the whole region. A photo at every turn. Must return with the a900 one day.

Shelby you are really getting to grips with the a900 and Sigma 50/1.4.
    Thanks Dave,
    I just moved to Arizona last month so I am discovering all the great places to photograph. Now I am ready to roll, I got my CZ 24-70 finally can't wait to try it out. Still trying to get use to the CZ 16-35, requires a lot of thought when using such a wide lens

Steven

panyawong

Jeffg53;

I like the contrasting tone/mood between what look like rain clouds and the foreground in your picture. Very nice image.

Panya

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jorgen and Panya.

Cheers,

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

50/2.8 has been my favourite macro lens, though I am waiting for the SSM version of 200/4

Post Thanks / Like

A700 does high ISO shooting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good to see some A700 shots, as it's no slouch either. A900+A700 makes a pretty nice dual camera combo, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

two snapshots from last evening.

ZA85 at f/1.4 ISO1600 NR off

Attachment 15690

Attachment 15691
    Last edited by edwardkaraa; 16th November 2009 at 10:27.