Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by panyawong View Post

The guy sits next to me has a Leitz Noct 0.95 on a film camera, wondering how his pictures will turn out.
    Hmmm, let me guess..... Very grainy?
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Shelby Lewis

My little girl... this evening:

BTW.... no "soft focus" treatment on this. The sigma 50/1.4 gets a tad "dreamy" in certain lighting conditions near 1.4 (here f/2) while still remaining sharp with decent micro-contrast. It's a different look for sure.

same "sweet" kid....during a game of footie a few hours later :

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots Shelby.....I love the portrait, as you say the Siggie has a nice rendering with the a900 natural colours. I also like the football match, I am really envious for your freedom to take pictures of kids in the U.S.

I took my camera to take piccies of my grandson's (11 years) cricket match in his home village and was politely and apologetically asked not to take any photo's. The organisers have to ask all the parents by law now if they minded photo's being taken. There was just one dissenter which meant that there were to be no pictures taken and therefore no pictorial records of the event.

Many of the parents including my own daughter and son-in-law would have really loved some decent photo's of their kids playing our national summer sport. We do have a general election coming up soon though if the winning administration have the guts to reverse some of this mess!

On another more positive note, in the same village one of my donated framed pictures raised £150 (GBP) at a charity auction in aid of restoration work for the local church......so photography is still respected and considered respectable by most people.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

What a paranoid, politically-correct mess. One parent (in this case) spoils it for every other parent and grandparent. Give it time, I'm sure the pool of idiots we have to elect from here (Canada) will follow suit in due course.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    What a paranoid, politically-correct mess. One parent (in this case) spoils it for every other parent and grandparent. Give it time, I'm sure the pool of idiots we have to elect from here (Canada) will follow suit in due course.
    Hi there
    It's worse than that really. There is a definite feeling amongst the population and press in the UK that anybody who takes photographs of children is a pedophile . . . or if they aren't, then the people looking at the pictures definitely will be.

Personally I think it's more akin to paranoia than political correctness.
    Sad - really sad.

Just this guy you know

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there
    It's worse than that really. There is a definite feeling amongst the population and press in the UK that anybody who takes photographs of children is a pedophile . . . or if they aren't, then the people looking at the pictures definitely will be.

Personally I think it's more akin to paranoia than political correctness.
    Sad - really sad.
    It's not quite so bad here, but since the last administration's total fear-mongering (IMO), there is a definite move away from public, documentary photography in the US. It's so litigious these days that we're all scared.

Sad here too... but at least we can take pics of the kids (for now)

Hopefully in these slow economic times, people will move away from "buying happiness" and taking more interest in "being in the moment" such that simple candid photography will become more valuable again.

Let's hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, nothing like a paranoia (e.g. US media type lamenting she forgot to ask US admin spokesman if the sine flu outbreak might be bio-terror *.... Didn't know whether to laugh or cry) and lawyers who can work for a cut (e.g. vast majority of settlement) around every corner.

Great combo. Like sampling cigars in a meth lab.

* Paranoia aside, any terrorist using swine flu as a weapon (obviously a nepotism 'hire') would be taken out and shot by his buddies for terminal stupidity and lack of creativity.

Shelby Lewis

Senior from this evening... any visible grain added in post:

(sun at back... silver reflector just out of frame to the right acting as light source)

big softbox

bare strobe... sun above as rim (yucky downsize!)

cheers,
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Beautiful work and model My favourite is the B&W one.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    It's not quite so bad here, but since the last administration's total fear-mongering (IMO), there is a definite move away from public, documentary photography in the US. It's so litigious these days that we're all scared.

Sad here too... but at least we can take pics of the kids (for now)

Hopefully in these slow economic times, people will move away from "buying happiness" and taking more interest in "being in the moment" such that simple candid photography will become more valuable again.

Let's hope.

Interesting sidebar subject.

I'm not quite understanding what you guys mean. What does "simple candid photography will become more valuable again" mean?

- Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely Shelby
    and what a pretty thing!
    I spent last night doing a band gig - but the idea was to shoot the band and not the singer . . . unfortunately nobody had told the lighting guy!

Just this guy you know

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Interesting sidebar subject.

I'm not quite understanding what you guys mean. What does "simple candid photography will become more valuable again" mean?

- Marc
    I'm just saying (and it's just an opinion) that the fearfulness that has engulfed our society seems to have over-run the want to document important moments. But, in times of economic hardship people often "nest"... in that they try to make the best of what they have (such as fixing up an existing home) and I hope that people will begin to value simple things again... such as documentary photography (done by themselves) more than they do now, such that there isn't this pervasive obsession with "security".

Just a personal opinion

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A snatched shot from my car today, 70-400 G at 400, ISO 800.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 12th July 2009 at 17:23.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    A snatched shot from my car today, 70-400 G at 400, ISO 800.
    Bill
    Great Catch, Bill... love the colors.

From a maternity this evening... first time to use my brand-spankin'-new 135/1.8.

Holy cow that leans is ridiculously good! And it just makes me feel good inside to use an all metal lens with those old school letters engraved on the side that say "Sonnar T*".

some "glowiness" added here:

her girls

sorry so many

Shelby Lewis

and a bit more 3d-ness

135/1.8 and my daughter. Natural light with pine trees in the background. Lolly-pop providing the lip gloss

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man that lens is sweet. Loved it the second i tried it at PMA
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

and a bit more 3d-ness

135/1.8 and my daughter. Natural light with pine trees in the background. Lolly-pop providing the lip gloss

Love this shot of your daughter and the first girl on the swing shot.
    What aperture were you using for these shots.
    On the last shot did you add any blur in post to the background pines?
    I only ask because there is plenty of DOF on your daughter which makes me believe that this was not taken wide open but then the background bokeh is so blurred it looks like it was shot wide open. Nice 3-d look.
    For your client shots will you ever use this lens wide open or always stop down a bit to get more DOF? I will be taking my ZA 135 to my friends wedding this weekend and hope to try it out on some shots of the bride. Can't wait to see some of your wedding shots with this lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shots Shelby
    I'm so with you on the build quality of the lens. One of the great (and silly) satisfactions is to ping the lens hood with one's finger - what a satisfying noise!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby, you really know how to make the 135 sing Beautiful images!

imjames407

Pictures are too cool.Sony is the best for clarity.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby, you are cookin' brother! Love the close-up, B&W/toned maternity shot, (that was the 135/1.8????) ... and the side shot of the little girl on the swing. Just terrific!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shots, Shelby. Is it me, or is there something special about the yellows and greens from the Sony?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Lovely shots, Shelby. Is it me, or is there something special about the yellows and greens from the Sony?
    There is something special about the yellows and greens from the Sony - especially if you're used to the stuff served up by Nikon

Just this guy you know

Shelby Lewis

Hey All... thanks so much for the kind words.

Couple of things... most of these were shot with the 135/1.8... I did stop down to f2 (i think) in most of these... but, NO blur was done in post. You can see that the back of her head is already out of focus. The pines in the bg were only about 3'-5' behind her. That's what is so special about the 135 (and why I bought it). It has an OoF rendition that is indeed special. In combination with the sharpness and micro-contrast it's an amazing portrait lens. The only shots I've posted in the past 24 hours that didn't use it were the b/w maternity shots (3/4 length and the "hands") where I didn't have enough room to shoot with a longer lens. You can also see a bit of the wide angle perspective in the hands shot that comes from shooting so close.

Yellow and greens on the a900 are fantastic. Actually... color in general on the a900 is fantastic for people shooting. I think it's destined to become a "calssic" portrait camera.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Lovely shots Shelby
    I'm so with you on the build quality of the lens. One of the great (and silly) satisfactions is to ping the lens hood with one's finger - what a satisfying noise!
    Agreed!!!

Hey... we only live once, and I believe it's these little (silly) things that add sssoooo much to our experiences!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With all the talk about equipment and technology, and how great the tools are now, one thing still stands true, it's 10% equipment and 90% photographer, and Shelby my man, you are a master at what you do. Great job!!!

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Holi pictures

Some pictures from Indian festival of Holi. For the uninitiated, some introduction.
    It is a festival of color, which spans 2 days. The first part consists of a bon-fire, and having permission to speak ur mind, anything you wish to anyone, idea being to get it all out and be civil rest of the year

Some people need to use external aid (read drinks) in order to execute this cleansing. Following day is "Rang Panchami" or the color festival. People throw color and water on each other, and traditionally "Bhang", an intoxicating drink, is the drink of the day. Usually with some sweets to increase the potency.

Here are some pictures from a Holi festival in California.

All pictures A700 and beercan. I got the color all over the camera

As always, C&C welcome.

Cheers,

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Shelby Lewis

I'm really not trying to take over this thread... just been shooting a bunch this week!

From a shoot with a local (YOUNG!) jazz singer here in Nashville for promo purposes (and her CD cover as well... although this particular shot won't be a cover shot).

I have more of these to dig through and will post them after my wedding shoot tomorrow

Strobe with large softbox as mainlight triggered with pocketwizards... city lights in background. A little bit of skin work as well as the resolution if te a900 isn't so kind to skin

I think ISO 640.

Last edited by Shelby Lewis; 22nd May 2009 at 20:51.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby - Everything is right in the second image of the girl on the swing!!! A magical capture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Shelby - Everything is right in the second image of the girl on the swing!!! A magical capture.
    Agreed! Beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see the umistakable signature of the Zeiss 135.

Very nice photo, composition, and singer

I'm really not trying to take over this thread... just been shooting a bunch this week!

From a shoot with a local (YOUNG!) jazz singer here in Nashville for promo purposes (and her CD cover as well... although this particular shot won't be a cover shot).

I have more of these to dig through and will post them after my wedding shoot tomorrow

Strobe with large softbox as mainlight triggered with pocketwizards... city lights in background. A little bit of skin work as well as the resolution if te a900 isn't so kind to skin

I think ISO 640.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think ISO 640.

Great work, Shelby

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Holi pictures

Quote Originally Posted by BackToSlr View Post
    Some pictures from Indian festival of Holi. For the uninitiated, some introduction.
    It is a festival of color, which spans 2 days. The first part consists of a bon-fire, and having permission to speak ur mind, anything you wish to anyone, idea being to get it all out and be civil rest of the year

Some people need to use external aid (read drinks) in order to execute this cleansing. Following day is "Rang Panchami" or the color festival. People throw color and water on each other, and traditionally "Bhang", an intoxicating drink, is the drink of the day. Usually with some sweets to increase the potency.

Here are some pictures from a Holi festival in California.

All pictures A700 and beercan. I got the color all over the camera

As always, C&C welcome.

Cheers,

N
    You are very brave to take your gear out in all of that

Must have been a lot of fun and the results look great.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to give us more Shelby - it is most inspiring.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby - the Jazz singer is completely wonderful
    BackToSir (funny name that!) - the festival of Holl pictures are great - you'll have paint on it forever (my E1 grip still has sparkles on it from some long forgotten party!).

I had a few minutes in the garden with the 100 macro today, and here are a couple of results:

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Braeside, Jono.

Yes there are still traces in some nooks and cranies of the camera but nothing inside, it reminds me of all the fun we had

@Jono - Oh the handle is Back to SLR, it would be weird if it were Back to Sir .

Cheers,

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

ddk

Wow Shelby! Shelby, WOW!!! Very nice portraits!

Shelby Lewis

David et al... you guys are TOOOOOOO nice with all the kind words. I'll have to put some out-takes up sometimes to show some of the junk I normally shoot

More from this past week...

Few more from the Jazz Singer session:

a "set-up" shot by the singer's husband. you can really see the substantial size of the a900/grip/ZA135 in this one, but it doesn't feel overly heavy in the hand, though:

and the resulting shot (neutral background courtesy of some simple pavement... light from broad shade with added silver reflector):

And a couple of wedding moments (nothing great here):

the main shooter's assistant, who also shot a bit:

great broad-shade lighting on a very bright day.. love the eyes in this light:

Cheers!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to stick to my own thread for a while. I have nothing worthy of the good work in this thread

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby: no kind words here. You are really wringing remarkably good results out of your Sony kit. Just a plain ol' statement of fact.

Really nice images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby,
    Great photos of the singer, particularly the one with orange dots in the background.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I'm not boring you all with my jewelry pictures

Here are 2 from tonight with the 100 macro at f/13:

Attachment 16879

Attachment 16880
    Last edited by edwardkaraa; 15th March 2011 at 09:53.

RichardL

Edward. Very clean jewellery (UK English spelling) shots. How did you light it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    Edward. Very clean jewellery (UK English spelling) shots. How did you light it?
    Thanks Richard,

I guess I'm getting "Americanized" after 14 years in Thailand

I used a very simple set up with one soft box and one spot to add some sparkle, and many card reflectors.

RichardL

Interesting, and simple indeed. On first glance I would have guessed it they were shot in a light tent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    Interesting, and simple indeed. On first glance I would have guessed it they were shot in a light tent.
    I find light tents to be too annoying to work with. Reflectors are much more flexible and give me more space, but they have to be repositioned for every shot.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see a soft box and reflector in the purple jewel.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby,

Did you use any special skin retouching software or 3rd party photoshop actions for this shot?

Thanks,

Wayne

I think ISO 640.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    I find light tents to be too annoying to work with. Reflectors are much more flexible and give me more space, but they have to be repositioned for every shot.
    Nice shots as usual, Edward. What do you use to keep the card reflectors in place?

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    Shelby,

Did you use any special skin retouching software or 3rd party photoshop actions for this shot?

Thanks,

Wayne
    Yep... standard "beauty" retouching... and when downsized for web, retouched skin always gets too smooth for my taste. I did use Imagenomic's Portraiture plug-in to create a smooth skin mask on a separate layer... then added a smidge of noise to keep it from looking too plastic (although I think it still does... need to back it off a bit)... plus the usual dodge and burn as well as a bit of cloning/healing. Nothing to the eyes and lips yet.

The skin was the only thing smoothed... the background is all zeiss