Site Sponsors
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Shelby Lewis

Re: Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Edward... nice stuff... you really know how to get detail out of the 100 macro. The color is especially nice (and neutral) as well.

Fine stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I see a soft box and reflector in the purple jewel.
    If you look closer, you will be able to see an A900 and 100mm macro
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby, thanks, even though I credit the camera (and raw converter) for the color.

Jorgen, I don't use any particular tools to hold the reflectors. Since jewelry is small anyway, I tend to improvise with nearby objects, or fold the paper in a way to stand on it's own
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Shelby Lewis

Quick workups from a bridal session this afternoon... what a cutie!!!

Cheers!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby - she is quite photogenic and you did a great job. I may be in the minority but I like the last one the best.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Shelby - she is quite photogenic and you did a great job. I may be in the minority but I like the last one the best.
    Thanks... last one is EASILY my favorite. Kinda has that fashion magazine vibe going on.

Glad I'm not crazy for liking it!

Thanks Again!

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely work Shelby, you seem to have found your groove very quickly with this setup. I like 4 the best also, seems like there is a texture to it. The 2nd shot is also interesting, I like the muted colours.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Lovely work Shelby, you seem to have found your groove very quickly with this setup. I like 4 the best also, seems like there is a texture to it. The 2nd shot is also interesting, I like the muted colours.
    Thanks a bunch. I often add noise to my photographs to give them more texture... ie #4.

The a900 has been the easiest camera to "find my groove with" of any that I've ever owned. It's such a simple camera to operate.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Shelby
    more lovely shots - like everyone else, I like the last one best.

We were shutting in a neighbour's chickens last night - it was nearly dark. I had the 135 at f1.8, and ISO1250 set. as I had to keep the shutter speed up (they were moving) I ended up underexposing by about 2 stops - I processed them, and really they look fine - I haven't tried printing, but I imagine an A3 will be okay.

Of course, these kinds of conditions are where you really do see nasty noise and colour - it's always worse than shooting things at high ISO in good light.

These were processed in Capture one, then the black and white in silver efex pro.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun at Sea World San Diego A900 Sony 70-300G
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Steven
    I like the first and last best - is that an albino killer whale? or a dolphin?

did you sit in the 'wet seats'?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono,
    I like the last one the best myself. I think it's a albino killer whale but don't quote me on that. Yes I sat in the "Soak Zone" and gotted soaked. It was fun. It was my first attempt with the 70-300, overall very happy with it, focuses fast, seems sharp to me at F8,
    I screwed up the shamu shot, I was on aperture priorty which was a mistake. Should have used shutter priority. I would have shot manual but the light kept changing from sun, to cloudy. Oh well live and learn.
    Steven

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Beluga whale if I'm not mistaken.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I need to play around with Portraiture plug-in trial version.
    I assume that this plug-in helps speed up alot of the standard photoshop skin retouching
    workflow and very useful if you are retouching alot of pictures for a shoot.
    Interesting about the downsizing for web making the skin look even more plastic.
    Does any plug-in provide some sort of standard uniform skin texture which you could blend-in after the blurring to get rid off the plastic look without using noise to texture it?
    A recent cover of Vogue had some famous supermodels on front and the skin texture after blurring looked very nice and not plastic.

BTW, like your recent wedding shots, looks like the CZ135 and Siggy 50 are a great combo along with CZ 24-70. How do you find the Siggy 50 colors compared to your CZ lens colors? Not as saturated?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Yep... standard "beauty" retouching... and when downsized for web, retouched skin always gets too smooth for my taste. I did use Imagenomic's Portraiture plug-in to create a smooth skin mask on a separate layer... then added a smidge of noise to keep it from looking too plastic (although I think it still does... need to back it off a bit)... plus the usual dodge and burn as well as a bit of cloning/healing. Nothing to the eyes and lips yet.

The skin was the only thing smoothed... the background is all zeiss

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    I assume that this plug-in helps speed up alot of the standard photoshop skin retouching
    workflow and very useful if you are retouching alot of pictures for a shoot.
    Interesting about the downsizing for web making the skin look even more plastic.
    Does any plug-in provide some sort of standard uniform skin texture which you could blend-in after the blurring to get rid off the plastic look without using noise to texture it?
    A recent cover of Vogue had some famous supermodels on front and the skin texture after blurring looked very nice and not plastic.
    The thing I like most about portraiture is it can create a smoothed mask of just the skin on a separate layer... in beauty retouching you often keep a retouched, but not smoothed, version of the skin on another layer. Later on after smoothing the hell out of the "smooth skin" layer, you then bring back the original textured skin layer often by using the high-pass filter in linear light layer mode to create a texture map of sorts (just on the skin). Some people will use use the noise tool. The smoothing layer is more for color uniformity than for smoothness.

A good rule of thumb in fashion/beauty is to make it look perfect enough that it "could be attained with perfect makeup on the perfect model"

You know... looks real, but it's not reality. I have to admit, that for high school seniors, to a certain extent, plastic is ok

BTW, like your recent wedding shots, looks like the CZ135 and Siggy 50 are a great combo along with CZ 24-70. How do you find the Siggy 50 colors compared to your CZ lens colors? Not as saturated?
    Color on the siggy is great... not really yellow like some of the older lenses were. Of course, the a900 handles yellows and greens so well, it may be less noticeable on it. I can say, though, that the focus accuracy on the zeiss at ANY distance is stunning... not so on the siggy. It shifts (or my copy does) to the back at longer distance... but is great inside 10 feet or so.

Shelby Lewis

...speaking of seniors.. a shoot from last night.

broad shade and a silver reflector...

here's a 100% crop... you can see me on a ladder

big softbox just out of frame... ambient underexposed just enough to retain some color in the stained glass windows (her mom is the music director at the church)
    ... little bit of vertical perspective correction in ps as well

single strobe with a beauty dish... in trying to keep the dramatic sky from blowing out, I think this becomes a bit to "pasted in" looking

Natural light... a touch of silver reflector

Natural light... mom just out of the frame camera-right holding a reflector over her to throw a swath of shade over her

cheers!
    Last edited by Shelby Lewis; 29th May 2009 at 20:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Superb Shelby, Did you use your CZ-135mm wide open for some of these?

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Superb Shelby, Did you use your CZ-135mm wide open for some of these?

Steven
    Thanks!

The first two natural light shots are at f2... and I usually do stop it down to f2 (not sure if it's any improvement over f/1.8, lol).

The last shot is at f/2.8

The two strobed shots are with the siggy 50/1.4... first at f8, second at f/11 (actually in pretty bright sunlight)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Beluga whale if I'm not mistaken.
    Yes, that is a Beluga Whale and no, they don't make caviar from it.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

single strobe with a beauty dish... in trying to keep the dramatic sky from blowing out, I think this becomes a bit to "pasted in" looking
    That damned Zeiss microcontrast...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

These are great shots Shelby!

I am looking forward to receive my A900 and Zeiss glass. After so many years again back to these wonderful lenses and again finally with a decent camera and resolution behind it

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby,

Really like the 1st one. Excellent.
    Just one question about eye retouching,
    would you retouch her eyes to make her pupils larger as they are very small?
    I like her pose and the composition in the last one but would prefer a darker
    background as the bright bushes keep distracting my eyes off of her.
    Pretty girl.

Yeah, even at f1.8 the CZ 135 is so sharp. I took some wide open shots at a friends wedding and I was blown away with all the fine detail it rendered in the beads and embroidery in the wedding dress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From yesterday.... A900 and 24-70 zoom, 70-300 zoom and 135 f1.8 lenses

Albert

Entrance shot

Down the canyon trail... HDR image

Looking back up...

Up the other side...

Looking back down...
    [IMGtp://www.pbase.com/apy_jr/image/113158444/original.jpg[/IMG

Bottom canyon tower...

Boulder House Stitch... (2 images)

Hovenweep Castle 2 image stitch with 135 f1.8...

Exit to Blanding Utah... Manti-LaSal National Forest pano...

LaSal mountain pano from Monticello, Utah...
    Last edited by APY_JR; 30th May 2009 at 21:12.

Post Thanks / Like

Scone Gardens

Fantastic weather this weekend in Scotland, spent a few hours in the gardens of Scone Palace in Perthshire yesterday.

Some more at:

http://braeside.zenfolio.com/scone
    David Anderson

Shelby Lewis

Albert and David... WOW. The panos are really nice... and that second shot from david (tree) is really cool. I wonder what it would look like as a b/w if you really messed with the color channels a bit.

Great work guys.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, Albert I've only seen those mountains from the other direction in Moab. The dwellings are really cool.

Daivd, I agree with Shelby on that tree could be a really cool B&W even though I do like it in color.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks - I'll have a go with a mono conversion of that tree.

Albert - glad you are making the most of the A900 in the pano shots - must look great at full size.
    David Anderson

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Superb Vistas Gentlemen!

The more I see work done with the alpha the more I am convinced I made a good choice with that camera!

Albert, this is intruiging, as I also wonder whether to buy the 135mm. I was pondering about its usablilty as a landscape lense.

The 2 image castle stitch does not load here....
    Last edited by Georg Baumann; 31st May 2009 at 18:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Albert and David... WOW. The panos are really nice... and that second shot from david (tree) is really cool. I wonder what it would look like as a b/w if you really messed with the color channels a bit.

Great work guys.
    Hi Shelby!

Hey thanks!
    BTW I really enjoyed your last post and your sharing of your lighting techniques. Gonna try that reflector outdoors this week
    Great images you posted... I like your color balance results!

Thank you,

Albert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Wow, Albert I've only seen those mountains from the other direction in Moab. The dwellings are really cool.

Daivd, I agree with Shelby on that tree could be a really cool B&W even though I do like it in color.
    Hi TEB,

Me either... until this past friday... and I've lived here all my life!
    I normally just hit Monticello coming from Moab and turn left towards Cortez
    I was frankly stunned actually.... what a beautiful forest... starting at about 7,000 ft! Who knew

I try and hit Hovenweep once a year (for the past 4 years now)
    I love it there... very peaceful and rarely crowded. Really helps me mellow out when I'm there. ( I feel those "ancient ones" all around me... a very spiritual place for me)

Albert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Thanks folks - I'll have a go with a mono conversion of that tree.

Albert - glad you are making the most of the A900 in the pano shots - must look great at full size.
    Hi David!

I'm amazed at the detail under controlled conditions... I actually have to PULL BACK on the pre and post sharpening!
    Yes.. the large files are the best I've ever produced.
    I'm a happy guy

Albert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Superb Vistas Gentlemen!

The more I see work done with the alpha the more I am convinced I made a good choice with that camera!

Albert, this is intruiging, as I also wonder whether to buy the 135mm. I was pondering about its usablilty as a landscape lense.

The 2 image castle stitch does not load here....
    Hi George,

Yes, sorry about that...
    here's the link again

And another with the 70-300G that didn't show up in my first post...

I wondered the same about the 135... thinking it would be too long.
    I was pleasantly surprised... it's a good distance... and if a tad long I simply do another row of pano shots.
    I think it really depends on the distance of your views... but I can tell you with certainty... it's the sharpest lens of the lot. Simply "floors" me
    And manually focuses quite easily from the view finder... even for MY tired old eyes

I have the cz 24-70(very good... but doesn't equal my copy of the 135 for resolution) and the 70-300G (actually a little disappointed with this lens as it vignettes quite a bit especially at 70mm and is really not that sharp compared to the 135 f1.8)
    But... I'm a tripod shooter so I see the difference quite easily between the 3 lenses.

Thank you!

Albert
    Last edited by APY_JR; 31st May 2009 at 21:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awwww.... flippin fantastic!

why oh why.... Why did you do THAT?

Now I have to call on Tuesday (bank holiday here) and order the 135mm as well.

What aperture did you use in that shot?
    Last edited by Georg Baumann; 31st May 2009 at 21:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awwww.... flippin fantastic!

why oh why.... Why did you do THAT?

Now I have to call on Tuesday (bank holiday here) and order the 135mm as well.

What aperture did you use in that shot?
    Thanks Georg!

Aperture was 5.6.
    f5.6 is the "magic" number for me with this lens

I think you will be extremely happy with it!

Albert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Albert.

I just refuse to open the next letter from VISA for a few weeks.

On another note, I am trying to find out what Lenses are dust and splashwater sealed for the alpha. Do you happen to know that by chance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Albert.

I just refuse to open the next letter from VISA for a few weeks.

On another note, I am trying to find out what Lenses are dust and splashwater sealed for the alpha. Do you happen to know that by chance?
    Sorry my friend... I don't

But for what they want for their lenses they oughta come with " a wet suit & scuba gear"

BTW... here's one more I did with this lens & camera combo before I joined this forum... again at 5.6

Albert
    Last edited by APY_JR; 31st May 2009 at 22:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is outstanding! How many panels and rows did you shoot for that? Do you use Autopano for you stitch work? Oh man, I sooooo will buy that lense!!!!! LOLOL

Do you print yourself?
    Last edited by Georg Baumann; 31st May 2009 at 22:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man I am looking with GREAT pleasure at this last shot here since half an hour, what an amazing Vista.

The quality is simply fantastic from what i can see here, and I love the look of this glas, to my eyes it has a certain medium format quality.

I better dig out my Manfrotto Panohead again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is outstanding! How many panels and rows did you shoot for that? Do you use Autopano for you stitch work? Oh man, I sooooo will buy that lense!!!!! LOLOL

Do you print yourself?
    This was a simple 1 row horizontal stitch Georg!

I think it was 5 frames... left to right... I didn't even use a pano head... just a ball head

I do print myself... smaller stuff (11x14 or less) on our Fuji Frontier 550... and the larger stuff I use an Epson 4000... same as Jono.

Thanks man... I'm glad you liked it!

Albert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

9:07 AM ....ordered! LOL

Someone take that VISA card away from me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone take that VISA card away from me.
    Send it to me; I'll keep it safe!
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hehehe

panyawong

Some fun pictures from last week vacation. Unfortunately, didn't get to see the Hawaiian sunset and sunrise as I originally planned as rain clouds are all over.
    Start with rain clouds over Lanikai.

Not long after I took the above picture everyone run to find a cover from rain shower.
    Then pouring rain at Chinaman's Hat, so I just took the picture from parking lot inside a car.

And raining at Polynesian Cultural Center.

Since there is no dramatic sunset due to the cloud covered sky, I converted to a nocturnal photography.
    Waikiki beach at Night.

Last one inspire by Salgado's Migration, but not quite the execution.

This leads to the realization that my lens flare quite a lot. Comment and suggestion appreciated. BTW, can any one recommend wide angle lens that does not flare?
    _panya

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Panya
    I'm sorry about the weather - but lots of great pictures anyway.

Here are a couple from yesterday with the cheap and tiny Minolta 24-105:

Just this guy you know

Shelby Lewis

panya... love the first one and third one... nice stuff.

Jono... that first one has some really nice texture and light. Great b/w conversions, BTW. Chocolatey shadows and nice bright highlights. Likin' it.

Shelby Lewis

Some proofs from a bit of catalog work from Monday... grain and "vintage" color in post as per the feel of the upcoming catalog... to be refined of course. Skin tones are all over the place since these are quick contact-sheet "Teasers" to the client to give an idea of how the shoot went.

If you know Anthropologie or Urban Outfitters, then that will give you an idea of the look we were going for.

You should see these at 100% with no "artistic" post work... wow. Lovin' the a900 still.

again... sorry so many, but I just love sharing these.

kind of bummed about the nose shadow on this one

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, you're gonna drive up the price of the Minolta 24-105!

Really very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd show what the 500 mm F8.0 looks like on the a900. My wife playing with our Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, nice shot and isn't that dog one of the biggest on the planet when it is full grown??

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the kind words
    Shelby - again, these look splendid.
    Peter - your puppy looks wonderful

Here's another maligned lens - the humble Sony 20mm f2.8

Looking back down Bier Lane:

Just this guy you know