The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

P

panyawong

Some fun pictures from last week vacation. Unfortunately, didn't get to see the Hawaiian sunset and sunrise as I originally planned as rain clouds are all over.
Start with rain clouds over Lanikai.

Not long after I took the above picture everyone run to find a cover from rain shower.
Then pouring rain at Chinaman's Hat, so I just took the picture from parking lot inside a car.

And raining at Polynesian Cultural Center.

Since there is no dramatic sunset due to the cloud covered sky, I converted to a nocturnal photography.
Waikiki beach at Night.

Last one inspire by Salgado's Migration, but not quite the execution.

This leads to the realization that my lens flare quite a lot. Comment and suggestion appreciated. BTW, can any one recommend wide angle lens that does not flare?
_panya

jonoslack

HI Panya
I'm sorry about the weather - but lots of great pictures anyway.

Here are a couple from yesterday with the cheap and tiny Minolta 24-105:

S

Shelby Lewis

panya... love the first one and third one... nice stuff.

Jono... that first one has some really nice texture and light. Great b/w conversions, BTW. Chocolatey shadows and nice bright highlights. Likin' it.

S

Shelby Lewis

Some proofs from a bit of catalog work from Monday... grain and "vintage" color in post as per the feel of the upcoming catalog... to be refined of course. Skin tones are all over the place since these are quick contact-sheet "Teasers" to the client to give an idea of how the shoot went.

If you know Anthropologie or Urban Outfitters, then that will give you an idea of the look we were going for.

You should see these at 100% with no "artistic" post work... wow. Lovin' the a900 still.

again... sorry so many, but I just love sharing these.

kind of bummed about the nose shadow on this one

peterv

Thought I'd show what the 500 mm F8.0 looks like on the a900. My wife playing with our Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy.

jonoslack

Thanks for the kind words
Shelby - again, these look splendid.
Peter - your puppy looks wonderful

Here's another maligned lens - the humble Sony 20mm f2.8

Looking back down Bier Lane:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

On the basis of very favourable test reports by Photodo and Pop Photo, I picked up the Sigma 70 mm f2.8 EX DG Macro lens. I'm quite impressed with it - very sharp in the centre at full aperture and very good indeed at f5.6 at all distances.

Of course, the day I tested it the wind was howling, but ISO 320 enabled me to keep things relatively still!

I'm going to do some serious stuff with orchids tomorrow and I'll post the results if the wind dies down!

Last edited:

wayne_s

Shelby,
Nice vintage-grainy look. I like it.
Are most shots using the siggy 50 or CZ 24-70?
Is that lens flare in the two shots with both models wearing the anchor t-shirts?
Like the 1st and the 4th shots the best.

Jono,
Love the B&W Bier lane shots. Those tree-covered lanes in the English countryside are the best and a great place to walk the dog. Wish we had some here. Looks like your dog is smart like mine and looks the other way just when he knows you are going to take the picture.

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby,
Nice vintage-grainy look. I like it.
Are most shots using the siggy 50 or CZ 24-70?
Is that lens flare in the two shots with both models wearing the anchor t-shirts?
Like the 1st and the 4th shots the best.
Thanks Wayne,

All the shots, with exception of the interiors are with the 135/1.8... LOVE that lens.

Even though it looks like flare, It's actually greenery in the foreground. I was trying to frame the models with some abstract blurriness such that the garments/models stood out a bit more... plus just trying to make the shots a bit "different" to support the catalogs look a bit.

Fun stuff.

D

ddk

Thanks for the kind words
Shelby - again, these look splendid.
Peter - your puppy looks wonderful

Here's another maligned lens - the humble Sony 20mm f2.8
and

here are a couple with the humble 24-105 Minolta:
You're doing very well with your maligned lenses Jono! I think that what it comes down to is the pleasant rendering of these lenses, they might not be as sharp as Zeiss but they still have many pleasant and endearing qualities. I'm beginning to see now what Minolta groupies were talking about.

jonoslack

You're doing very well with your maligned lenses Jono! I think that what it comes down to is the pleasant rendering of these lenses, they might not be as sharp as Zeiss but they still have many pleasant and endearing qualities. I'm beginning to see now what Minolta groupies were talking about.
Thank you David
Yes - they don't quite have the zing of the zeiss lenses, but these to both have reasonable bokeh and decent colour. They have the advantage of being very small and very light.

Braeside

Continuing the theme of Minolta lenses, this is with the Minolta 28-105mm (not the 24-105 that Jono has). EXIF F/6.3 @ 105mm

50mm f/9 SilverEfex

Last edited:

jonoslack

Lovely David
I touch of pincusion distortion? (or is it your windows :p)
I'm still grateful for the heads up on that lens, it's hardly a competitor for the zeiss, but it's so tiny and neat, focuses fast, and is generally a gas to use!.

Shelby - I never imagined for a second that your lovely greenery was flare! Great shots.

Wayne - thank you - we have our own tree covered lane I love it, but I've got too many pictures of it!

Braeside

Not my Windows Jono so can't say, but quite probably the lens!

I have always been a fan of the old Minolta lens look. I had some of the Minolta tele zooms like the Beercan 70-210 and the Big Beercan 70-300, but have gradually sold most of them to finance the modern lenses like the 70-300G and the CZs. I have however hung on to my 50/1.7 24-85 and 28-105, for my film 5 and occasional use with the A900.