The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Too bad the midges where that bad, hence this one here is messed up unfortunately, but I think it is a stronger composition. These Pano Robots must come in handy in such situations, let him do the work, while you keep moving and the bloodsucking pest away. :rolleyes:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
The alpha poses a serious problem!

....Insomnia. ;)

Somehow the messed up Panos were bugging me last night and I was pondering that something just has to be in there. I think I found something...

The rugged landscapes of NW Ireland and Sotland are typical post glacial landscapes, V-shaped Glens cut into mountains, big bolders scattered over the landscapes, and of course bog land and meadows. The predominantly subtrpoical wet clima is ideal breeding ground for midges. Scotland delacred war on them, because they are causing great losses for the tourist industry in certain areas. I did the same and invested in a mosquito-magnet, a maschine that chemically attracts the females, as they are the ones who bite, and sucks them into a net by significant numbers. A full net can have 1/4 million midges. Considering that one female lays around 600 egs every 6-8 weeks, catching these numbers you cut into the breeding cycle and after using the maschine for one year, we are midge free in an area round about one acre of size. Of course, this has to be done every year during the season.

This is a great lesson to me. Shooting handheld Panos with a high resolution camera provides material that is easily overlooked by judging only the full size panorama. On careful inspection interesting material might be found and isolated.

Last edited:

ecsh

Great pics Georg. I can't wait to see the pics when you have had the camera for a couple of months<G> To have those views within even driving distance of a couple of hours for me would be something, never mind what you have.
Joe

Tex

Subscriber Member
Shelby, it is always a treat to view your work. You could make beautiful images with a $200 digicam.

jonoslack

Where are the great images and pros that previously appeared in this Sony forum?
You sure know how to make friends and influence people :ROTFL::ROTFL:

and as Douglas says Shelby, lovely shots, I especially like the spoons.

Last edited:

wayne_s

Shelby,
Very nice shots!
I can recognize the bokeh and sharpness signature of the CZ 135 1.8 in a lot of them.
I really like the 5th shot of the couple with the green dreamy landscape on the left.
Which lens did you use for that?
The food shots are great and I was taking similar shots of rows of cupcakes with the 135 last friday.

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks guys...

If I'm correct... every shot, with exception to the first one, was taken with the 135/1.8

The first was with the siggy 50.

S

Shelby Lewis

Few more...

And, even though i NEVER do it during the actual ceremony... I did sneak behind the groom during the processional to get a shot of the bride's face as she came down the aisle.

Cheers!

S

Shelby Lewis

BTW... a few of these have a very subtle "S" adjustment curve applied on the blue channel... which, in essence, runs the highlights a bit yellow and the shadows a tad blue, while leaving the skin fairly intact. I happen to like, in moderation, the effect it has in rendering wedding images a bit less "clinical" while not taking them into full-on faux-vintage.

S

Shelby Lewis

wow... you guys continue to amaze me with your kindness. :thumbup:

a quick correction... the s-curve I alluded to earlier is actually a reverse s-curve on the blue channel (in the curves dialogue). It boosts blue a tad in the shadows while subtracting blue (and seemingly pushing yellow) in the highlights.

fotografz

Shelby, you always manage to get your wedding stuff done before me ... :ROTFL:

Here's a few from this Saturday's wedding done with the A900.

85mm on the twin ring bearers and top down candid of the B&G kissing. 135mm on the Bride's flowers.