The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

woodyspedden

Marc and Shelby's wedding pics are simply beautiful. Kudos, guys. :thumbs:
After seeing this work from Marc and Shelby I want to get a new copy of the Nikon 105 DC to do some special soft focus renderings of emotional shots like these.

That will keep me busy for a while

Great work M and S

Woody

S

Shelby Lewis

Great work M and S

Woody
Hey... get the order right... it's S&M! :eek: :ROTFL:

Ok... seriously, thanks Woody. Marc's work is great and I always love seeing his shots and the subtle differences in how we see the wedding day.

Marc... also like your b/w. DARK blacks and bright whites. Looks good :thumbup:

And continuing with my server-busting posts... second shooting at a really high profile wedding this last weekend (famous country singer's son), thus lot's of detail shots:

actually worked up a perspective corrected version of this one and it REALLY reduced the effectiveness of the one-point-perspective

kuau

Workshop Member
Shelby, I am surprised you are not sponsored by sony, nikon has a program for wedding photographers. Your work is top notch, I worked with a lot of wedding photogrpahers in Hawaii while I was living there the past 19 years and your images hands down are fantastic.
Dude, I know I have said this before but you are the bomb :)

Steven

ps. bummer you can't make the workshop this week. Would have liked to have met you

jonoslack

Shelby - lovely again - that girly shot at the end . . . phew!

I have two to do at the end of the month, I hope I do 1/10th as well!

anyway, here are a couple of back yard shots.

The first one is with the lovely 135 f1.8:

these four are all with the humble 24-105 (it may not have the 'zing' but it's tiny, and it really is very good).

S

Shelby Lewis

Steven... thanks man for the comments. Much appreciated... yeah, I'm bummed I can't make it next week either. Really bummed. :thumbdown:

JLM... what a cutie pie! Darling child.

Jono... i really like what you're getting out of the 24-105. You're right, it lacks a little bit of zing, but I think the a900 resolution makes up for that in detail captured. Oh, and i love the direct-flash b/w. Lots of character.

Can you guys tell I'm trying to shoot more often :D .... a few more from this evening, all in the back yard:

My oldest son... the sweetest, most serious kid ever:

first lost tooth... my daughter:

a few "around the yard" shots

Tex

Subscriber Member
Shelby and Marc, how many images do you shoot and for a typical wedding? How many hours are involved start to finish for a "first class" assignment?

Are formal type images taken with LF film gear ever requested by your clients?

Thanks for all your posts - they are a real treat to view and study work done by "real" working pros.

PS: Shelby, your little girl is a doll. Mother must be a real blonde.

Last edited:
S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby and Marc, how many images do you shoot and for a typical wedding? How many hours are involved start to finish for a "first class" assignment?
Well, I've only been at this about a year, so I don't get 1st class assignments on my own :D ... but as a second shooter, most days are contracted for about 8 hours of coverage... sometimes 10. I love the 6 hour days. As far as number of shots, it's according to who I'm shooting for and what the conditions are like. With the a900's sucky af-servo performance, in low light/high action, I'll double up shots often times... but given good light I always shoot for the "decisive moment". Given that, usually 1200-1600 hundred images on an 8 hour wedding.

Like any other profession, this isn't counting the hours of prep before the wedding (charging batteries, cleaning lenses, formatting cards, organizing my bag, printing an itinerary, and so forth...)

What's large format? :ROTFL:

Actually no... and I've never shot 4x5 or larger (self taught, so I haven't gotten to film yet :D)

Thanks for all your posts - they are a real treat to view and study work done by "real" working pros.
Thanks!

Actually strawberry blonde... and definitely a real blonde (if you know what I mean :eek:)

fotografz

I've been doing this for about 10 years now. For the first 5 or so years mostly with B&W film using Leica Ms and printing silver prints myself. Most of my clients then were art directors, painters, designers, writers and musicans. Now, I'm not so lucky creatively :( ... but the money is better ... :)

We do anywhere from 6 hours to 9 or 10 hours (which can be grueling with dimminishing returns at about hour 8). 1000 images is not uncommon, but I strive to shoot less than that. Last weekend's wedding produced 600 ... 500 of which were keepers and 172 worthy of consideration for a coffee table type album using 100 or so shots.

The first class assignments are usually 8 hours, but I use second shooters and sometimes an assistant. Irakly Shandize shoots with me from time to time ... he uses a Leica M8 exclusively. I'm training a second shooter to do all the stuff that I don't like shooting so I can get back to what I do best ... snatching decisive moments from all the structured chaos that is a wedding.

Clients rarely request anything more than "digital" ... a few ask for B&W film ... however, there could be a place for LF work believe it or not. There's a movement toward doing set up shots either before or after the actual wedding. I know a 4X5 shooter that gets 3K for an hour session and a large display print. There's always a place for something more exclusive with a certain level of clients.

My website is being totally overhauled so has remained untouched ... but a better representation of my wedding work can be seen here:

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=540005

-Marc

Terry

Two more from the lowly 24-105 (my first outing with it)

From the Marin Headlands (unbelievably windy)

Looking towards Marin

Terry

Jono,
Yes, that lens is a lot of fun. So small makes the body/lens combo seem like I've got the G1 :D.

jonoslack

Jono,
Yes, that lens is a lot of fun. So small makes the body/lens combo seem like I've got the G1 :D.
Ah, yes - it's an interesting point. Of course, it IS bigger than the G1, but not so much bigger that it hurts.

Georg, your first light is lovely - I nearly missed it because of the small thumbnail.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks Terry, Jono.

I am in absolute awww, just took delivery of my 135mm, unfortunately it is raining.

F1.8 ISO500, pretty much a 100% crop. (I do not know how to make exact 100% crops, LOL)

jonoslack

Good innit (the lens that is)
have you pinged the lens hood :ROTFL:
Flowers in the rain
lovely subject.
It's glorious sunshine here . . . unfortunately I'm in the office :(

jlm

Workshop Member
terry: love that first shot

that a900 and the zeiss lenses is on the heavy side...I'll have to get out the scale